Help! My 2 years old laptop runs this game worse than my laptop at launch!

Hey guys :-)

I'm a returning player (after quitting the game 1 year after launch - had a lot of fun!). Now I wanted to play some GW2 for old-times sake but for some totally weird reason the gaming laptop I've bought for 900 bucks like 2 years ago runs this game much worse than the laptop I owned at launch! Right now all settings are Medium or worse and the best fps my laptop can put out is 23-30 (don't even get me started on cities!).Worth noting as well: My internet connection has improved dramatically as well. I never have any problems with any game besides this one (on PS4/Switch as well) which makes me belive that my laptop is the culprit here.

My specs:Intel® Core i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz8,00GB RAM

I am guessing you are using Win10... there are a few things you can tweak within it, which might help you gain some FPS and/or video playback stability when using certain GPU's.I myself found some of the Nvidia Control panel tweaks useful though I am of course using an Nvidia GTX GPU, which obviously wont be useful to you if your using something like an AMD GPU.

BTW - Keep an eye on your CPU and GPU temps as well when using your laptop for gaming...my old Dell laptop finally decided it had, had enuff of hanging out with me in the heat a few years back... :)

Good luck

@Swimfan.8014 Have you ever changed the thermal paste on your laptop? 2 Years is a long time in PC years and by then thermal paste dries up as well as dust accumulates. For example last week I was servicing a laptop which was easily getting to 99 degrees on load and started to throttle, applying new thermal paste and dust cleanup brought the temps down to 73 degrees average.

@Swimfan.8014 said:Hey guys :-)

I'm a returning player (after quitting the game 1 year after launch - had a lot of fun!). Now I wanted to play some GW2 for old-times sake but for some totally weird reason the gaming laptop I've bought for 900 bucks like 2 years ago runs this game much worse than the laptop I owned at launch! Right now all settings are Medium or worse and the best fps my laptop can put out is 23-30 (don't even get me started on cities!).Worth noting as well: My internet connection has improved dramatically as well. I never have any problems with any game besides this one (on PS4/Switch as well) which makes me belive that my laptop is the culprit here.

First we need to know you graphiccard if we go into more details if it is just an internal Intel GPU this might explain a lot.But in general to increase performance you can do this :

1.)Download ccleaner or similar tool to clean your registry2.) Do you have an SSD?3.) How hot does your laptop get ? if the fan run on max all the time use a vacuum cleaner to pull all the dust out. In summer most laptop run way to hot in general I use an external cooler for this. This increase drastically the performance because if the laptop gets hot the system reduce its performance to avoid overheating.4.) Type in your program search 'msconfig' then go -> start -> advanced options -> set the max numbers of cpus at start

5.) Play with the graphics settings in game when you have a NVIDIA card you can also use settings externally NIVIDIA icon-> System Control-> Program Settings -> add -> choose Gw2 you might need to wait a moment. Most impact has the texture filter setting which is by default on high quality.6.) if it works for you , you can also try the add-on dx912pxy which use dx12 instead of dx97.) you might increase you ram to 16gb if you can.

Thanks so much for all your imput! :-) I'm really not good with computers but I'll try my best to work through everything.

@Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

@Swimfan.8014 said:Hey guys :-)

First we need to know you graphiccard if we go into more details if it is just an internal Intel GPU this might explain a lot.But in general to increase performance you can do this :

1.)Download ccleaner or similar tool to clean your registry2.) Do you have an SSD?3.) How hot does your laptop get ? if the fan run on max all the time use a vacuum cleaner to pull all the dust out. In summer most laptop run way to hot in general I use an external cooler for this. This increase drastically the performance because if the laptop gets hot the system reduce its performance to avoid overheating.4.) Type in your program search 'msconfig' then go -> start -> advanced options -> set the max numbers of cpus at start

5.) Play with the graphics settings in game when you have a NVIDIA card you can also use settings externally NIVIDIA icon-> System Control-> Program Settings -> add -> choose Gw2 you might need to wait a moment. Most impact has the texture filter setting which is by default on high quality.6.) if it works for you , you can also try the add-on dx912pxy which use dx12 instead of dx97.) you might increase you ram to 16gb if you can.

I have an Intel® HD Graphics 630 and a NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1050

The laptop doesn't really get hot - the fans only sometimes get louder, that's all.

I've already added GW2 to my NVIDEA list.

I am not sure if you have done it already and it's commonly mentioned in this forum and external ones. If not, try to turn off gamebar and dvr. You should be able to find out where this is in your system settings easy via a google search. Try turning them off, See if it'll be a bit better afterwards.

Also, make sure you're rendering your gw2 on your gtx, k?

@"godofcows.2451" said:I am not sure if you have done it already and it's commonly mentioned in this forum and external ones. If not, try to turn off gamebar and dvr. You should be able to find out where this is in your system settings easy via a google search. Try turning them off, See if it'll be a bit better afterwards.

How do I make sure? :-/ Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to technical stuff like that.

Edit: WOW! I disabled the GameBar and I won like 10 fps by doing so O_O How is stuff like that even enabled on laptops by default?! I would have never known that the "feature" was there ...

@godofcows.2451 said:I am not sure if you have done it already and it's commonly mentioned in this forum and external ones. If not, try to turn off gamebar and dvr. You should be able to find out where this is in your system settings easy via a google search. Try turning them off, See if it'll be a bit better afterwards.

These were some of the Win 10 tweaks I posted in the vids above.. hopefully OP you will give them a try as some can help

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@godofcows.2451 said:I am not sure if you have done it already and it's commonly mentioned in this forum and external ones. If not, try to turn off gamebar and dvr. You should be able to find out where this is in your system settings easy via a google search. Try turning them off, See if it'll be a bit better afterwards.

These were some of the Win 10 tweaks I posted in the vids above.. hopefully OP you will give them a try as some can help

Yes, I turned off both settings and the game became more stable by about 10fps (which is a lot actually since it meant 30 fps instead of 20 in some areas).

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Nvidia use GPU Tweak II software, if you didn't get it with your 1050 maybe download it from the Nvidia site.. keep track of your fans, your temps and your GPU loading

GPU Tweak II is a tool by ASUS for ASUS graphics cards. It has nothing to do with nVidia.

@"Swimfan.8014" said:It says that it already runs with my good NIVIDEA graphics processor :-) Thanks

You have it set as the default graphics card in the nVidia general settings?

This guide contains some of what you can tweak in your system, graphics and CPU settings to increase performance - just skip the CS:GO specific parts:https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1292134455