When did GW2 turn into a grindfest?

It has probably been said before (?), but just in case: make use of the current XP boost event. Use an additional booster if necessary. Explore the maps with a character with whom you haven't explored them yet.

As for a lack of Mastery Points: I agree that it can be difficult to realize which Mastery you should level how far in order to be able to proceed. You have to read very carefully and only level the mounts as far as required for the next unlock, then leave the final levels for later. It's a bit tricky. But I have a feeling they will be handling Masteries better in the future, or at least hope so. :) Good luck.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@FONGORE.7410 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:never? I mean, what are you grinding that you need?

You see, Anet never said there would be no grind because obviously that's dumb; there needs something you can grind to keep you interested in the game. Anet was specifically talking about needing to grind to get access to content, either with gear grinds or unlocking content. So far, they have delivered.

So let's be honest. The game never became a grind ... you're just finding things you want that require it. If you're going to define 'gilder masteries' as grinding, I guess you should stick with FPS games or something, because that's a pretty tame 'grind' that you can achieve simply by playing the game. I guess if you're not willing to play the game, then I can see where you apply that label to it.

What do you mean they never said there would be no grind? In Anet own MMO Manifesto video Colin Johanson says at 1:35 "We just don't want players to grind in Guild Wars 2".
It was in their public declaration before the game even came out.

playing the game is not griding tho.

@FONGORE.7410 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:never? I mean, what are you grinding that you need?

You see, Anet never said there would be no grind because obviously that's dumb; there needs something you can grind to keep you interested in the game. Anet was specifically talking about needing to grind to get access to content, either with gear grinds or unlocking content. So far, they have delivered.

So let's be honest. The game never became a grind ... you're just finding things you want that require it. If you're going to define 'gilder masteries' as grinding, I guess you should stick with FPS games or something, because that's a pretty tame 'grind' that you can achieve simply by playing the game. I guess if you're not willing to play the game, then I can see where you apply that label to it.

What do you mean they never said there would be no grind? In Anet own MMO Manifesto video Colin Johanson says at 1:35 "We just don't want players to grind in Guild Wars 2".
It was in their public declaration before the game even came out.

Oh I did a double negative OOPs.

@"FONGORE.7410" said:What do you mean they never said there would be no grind? In Anet own MMO Manifesto video Colin Johanson says at 1:35 "We just don't want players to grind in Guild Wars 2".It was in their public declaration before the game even came out.Guessing they didn't consult Colin for the Skyscale Saddle part.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@"Jotunhammer.7029" said:I remember Guild Wars 2 being an living breathing game where you felt part of the game.Now that I return after a long absence and I start HoT I am immediatly met with "glider requirements" meaningI have to do quests thats are non critical and non storyline just to earn points to get to use gliders. This bodes very ill for therest of the game , oh and I have a level 80 too with PoF and got the mount, but guess what, in order to go onwards got to get tolevel 3 of that raptor mount just to get on with the questing. When did the game go from being about the storyline and the restbeing sidelines if you was interested to be a grindfest for "rep" with different things just to get onwards with a quest?Its nothing but time sinks, these "reputation grinds" that you got to get glider, mount, different level of mount etc.It does not affect the story anyway, and it it not shown in the story "Oh yeah, you have to be level 3 with flappety flapp over therein order to face the dragon"....really....

Dude unlocking the most important mounts are anywhere between 1-3 hours of gameplay if you're focused. And just doing things in game earns the mastery xp, so don't grind, do what you enjoy in the appropriate areas and snag some mastery points here and there to spend when you level up. You're speaking from jadedness from other games and haven't learned how to enjoy this game yet.

And you should do mounts first. They make maguuma much easier.

friend, I would suggest you read all my comments, as you remark only on the first parts, heh, try read the others and you might get a better view of my epiphany :)

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Jotunhammer.7029" said:HEYY!!! I found a solution that works.... ALTS!! If I go through the story with primary until I meet a possible grind spot, just log in another toondo the story until that point and if thats not enough just do it with a third, I got 5 slots so should be enough that way...while yes, technically I amdoing same quests over and over again, it does not FEEL like a grind because I am progressing other toons but the key things are shared, such as masteries

Then I met with the HP stuff....and while it was somewhat of a downer, once I hit a HP train (BY ACCIDENT, I was NOT looking for one, just happensto come along as I was doing wq and I figure id see what it was about) and woooooo the HP added upp, did some meta thingi beating some heart with ghostsor Exalted or whatever and before I knew it, I earned 50 HP, so...here it is...once in a lifetime....

I was wrong....it is not as much of a grindfest as I perceived....once you "get into it" it feels natural to go from 1 wq to another, the majorthing I notice is timing, if you come it at right timing, get into a wave of good end to end wq, then your made, you can spend HOURS doingback to back wq without repeating any, and it will FEEL meaningful (as rebuilding those bases for the pact etc) and helping allies fend off beasts

so...yeah, I was wrong....now I am returning to enjoy pay painful attempt at Reverant....its like looking at a child with a hammer banging everythingon the ground in a whack-a-mole kind of way....

enjoy!!!

You should have read the replies. I suggested this a week ago.

People don't read replies if they just want to rant. LOTS of solutions were offered. Appears that none of them were taken.

To be fair to the OP, most of them didn't address the problem, but rather his perception of the problem.

@Jotunhammer.7029 said:about reading of the comments, I read them all but did not understand how you meant.Maybe because im new and did not fully understand the systembut now I do and now I got fun stuff... plus I gotten ingame help with getting the right gearto survive better.

ty all

Yeah, my writing has that problem: not being understandable. I'm trying to improve that, though. Thanks for letting me know it wasn't clear!

GW2 WAS a low grind game, after they released PoF they are making it more and more like WoW.It is as if they WANT this game to become as grindy or even worse than the other MMO's, the worst part is that they are not exactly making it enjoyable.

In WoW i had a blast unlocking a race, it takes quite some time but all the questing made it a joy to do.In GW2, even attempting to do the skyskale is like shooting yourself in the head every time you think it's getting fun, the joy scale is so low it makes started areas in LOTRO look like a breeze.

@Obtena.7952 said:never? I mean, what are you grinding that you need?

But..........they DID say there would never be mounts, too. Can't wait to start decorating my 'real' HOME, next!

@Eight O Eight.8257 said:

But..........they DID say there would never be mounts, too. Can't wait to start decorating my 'real' HOME, next!

That doesn't make sense. I'm very doubtful that Anet would purposefully add grind to the game like they did Mounts. They had a reason to add mounts.

I'm not actually sure Anet did say their wouldn't be mounts either.

@Eight O Eight.8257 said:

ArenaNet did not say there would never be Mounts; what they said was there would be no Mounts at launch. You can find the quotes in the Wiki.

@"Jotunhammer.7029" said:I remember Guild Wars 2 being an living breathing game where you felt part of the game.Now that I return after a long absence and I start HoT I am immediatly met with "glider requirements" meaningI have to do quests thats are non critical and non storyline just to earn points to get to use gliders. This bodes very ill for therest of the game , oh and I have a level 80 too with PoF and got the mount, but guess what, in order to go onwards got to get tolevel 3 of that raptor mount just to get on with the questing. When did the game go from being about the storyline and the restbeing sidelines if you was interested to be a grindfest for "rep" with different things just to get onwards with a quest?Its nothing but time sinks, these "reputation grinds" that you got to get glider, mount, different level of mount etc.It does not affect the story anyway, and it it not shown in the story "Oh yeah, you have to be level 3 with flappety flapp over therein order to face the dragon"....really....

About when heart of Thorns and living Story 1 arrived.. Thats when i took an almost 4 year break because ascended weapons and clothing arrived.. It was crazy then and it still is now.. I still only use exotics because of how insane the whole grind is to do anything past it.

@"Naga.9623" said:Follow this video guide by dulfy to get mastery point needed to unlock them.

Dulfy have guides for the other pof maps too. Like other have mentioned, do various event and hearts on map to fill up your mastery level. Then follow the video guide to get the necessary mastery points to unlock mastery you want.It's the same thing with hot mastery too.Another good YouTube guide to follow is aiyinmaiden.

p/s: simply playing the story and doing some achievement will get you some mastery points too, good luck :)

How did she make her glider bar go back up again in flight?

@Dami.5046 said:some of you have no idea what grind in a game is.sorry.

Actually we do thats why we chose GW2 and not those Korean MMORPGs but sadly after a while they bled into GW2.

@sorudo.9054 said:In WoW i had a blast unlocking a race, it takes quite some time but all the questing made it a joy to do.In GW2, even attempting to do the skyskale is like shooting yourself in the head every time you think it's getting fun, the joy scale is so low it makes started areas in LOTRO look like a breeze.That's very much a matter of perspective. Personally to me the Skyscale collection was one of the most fun things I did in this game. All those scavenger hunts, exploring the maps to find hidden scales, eggs, whatever, feeding and playing with my Skyscale, the whole thing was exactly my cup of tea. I know I'm not the only one that truly enjoys this kind of content, either (although I did enjoy carrying cakes and mail through the shire on around 50 hobbits and a variety of other races back in the days I played LotRO, too ;) ).

Fortunately for you though, there's nothing the Skyscale gives that you can't achieve using other mounts, so you can just take those collections a bit at a time, or even not at all if you don't like it.

@Dante.1508 said:How did she make her glider bar go back up again in flight?Glider endurance fills back up if you use an updraft (updraft mastery required).

@Dante.1508 said:

@Dante.1508 said:How did she make her glider bar go back up again in flight?Glider endurance fills back up if you use an updraft (updraft mastery required).So more heart of thorns.. pass i think.Are you on EU or US? If on EU feel free to message me in game, I enjoy running around those maps with company and will gladly show you around so you don't get lost and enjoy yourself while playing on those maps. If on US, I'm sure there are others who would gladly do the same.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

That's very much a matter of perspective. Personally to me the Skyscale collection was one of the most fun things I did in this game. All those scavenger hunts, exploring the maps to find hidden scales, eggs, whatever, feeding and playing with my Skyscale, the whole thing was exactly my cup of tea. I know I'm not the only one that truly enjoys this kind of content, either (although I did enjoy carrying cakes and mail through the shire on around 50 hobbits and a variety of other races back in the days I played LotRO, too ;) ).

Fortunately for you though, there's nothing the Skyscale gives that you can't achieve using other mounts, so you can just take those collections a bit at a time, or even not at all if you don't like it.Agreed. It is a matter of perspective. I am still slogging along for my Skyscale and haven't really enjoyed the adventure; however, I get that it's like a legendary thing and should require a good amount of effort. I will certainly celebrate when I finally complete it.

Still don't have warclaw either because I hate WvW and can't really gain any ground there without getting ganked by players on warclaws. :(

@kharmin.7683 said:

That's very much a matter of perspective. Personally to me the Skyscale collection was one of the most fun things I did in this game. All those scavenger hunts, exploring the maps to find hidden scales, eggs, whatever, feeding and playing with my Skyscale, the whole thing was exactly my cup of tea. I know I'm not the only one that truly enjoys this kind of content, either (although I did enjoy carrying cakes and mail through the shire on around 50 hobbits and a variety of other races back in the days I played LotRO, too ;) ).

Fortunately for you though, there's nothing the Skyscale gives that you can't achieve using other mounts, so you can just take those collections a bit at a time, or even not at all if you don't like it.Agreed. It is a matter of perspective. I am still slogging along for my Skyscale and haven't really enjoyed the adventure; however, I get that it's like a legendary thing and should require a good amount of effort. I will certainly celebrate when I finally complete it.

Still don't have warclaw either because I hate WvW and can't really gain any ground there without getting ganked by players on warclaws. :(

For the warclaw you can take some solice in the fact that it is almost useless outside WvW anyway. :)

@kharmin.7683 said:

Still don't have warclaw either because I hate WvW and can't really gain any ground there without getting ganked by players on warclaws. :(Warclaw is a lot easier and more enjoyable when you have a friend or two to accompany you, preferably somebody that knows a bit about smallscale wvw. We've done that with several guildies over the months since the mount's introduction, most of them people who rarely if ever play wvw.

If you don't have any friends/guildies to help you out, try joining your server's discord/teamspeak or simply ask in team chat, say you're inexperienced but would like to unlock the mount, and if anybody would be willing to team up with you and show you how to best tackle the task. And don't forget to stack all of the reward track boosters you can get a hold of, finishing the warclaw reward track is by far the biggest hurdle of the whole thing if you aren't into wvw :) .

@yann.1946 said:For the warclaw you can take some solice in the fact that it is almost useless outside WvW anyway. :)I know. I just want it anyway. Just haven't wanted it enough to really commit to getting it. :)

@Rasimir.6239 said:Warclaw is a lot easier and more enjoyable when you have a friend or two to accompany you, preferably somebody that knows a bit about smallscale wvw. We've done that with several guildies over the months since the mount's introduction, most of them people who rarely if ever play wvw.

If you don't have any friends/guildies to help you out, try joining your server's discord/teamspeak or simply ask in team chat, say you're inexperienced but would like to unlock the mount, and if anybody would be willing to team up with you and show you how to best tackle the task. And don't forget to stack all of the reward track boosters you can get a hold of, finishing the warclaw reward track is by far the biggest hurdle of the whole thing if you aren't into wvw :) .Thanks. Have seen advice like this earlier but didn't know if people still did this or not for us non-WvWers.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Dante.1508 said:How did she make her glider bar go back up again in flight?Glider endurance fills back up if you use an updraft (updraft mastery required).So more heart of thorns.. pass i think.Are you on EU or US? If on EU feel free to message me in game, I enjoy running around those maps with company and will gladly show you around so you don't get lost and enjoy yourself while playing on those maps. If on US, I'm sure there are others who would gladly do the same.Hello i'm Sea of Sorrows US but i had a nice player help me today and i believe i got it.

The problem with GW2 is not the grind itself, is the fact that old content is abandoned in a way, if these maps were always populated with players doing the events and stuff you would be able to quickly level up all masteries very fast, not to mention the achievements and collections too. Me for example, i bought HoT like 7 months ago, and i leveled up all my masteries doing Octovine, Chak Gerent and Dragon Stand, cause these are the metas were you will find the most people, but XP is not that bad, biggest problem with abandoned maps is getting some achievements and collections (specially worse in LWS3 for example).

Anet just need a way to populate these maps more, dunno, make a special event to specifc maps or something, like "Hot Rush", and each day one map give extras rewards and bonus boxes, like, first day is Verdant Brink, next is Auric Basin, and so on till we get to Dragon Stand and it resets the cycle, then you can have a "LWS3 Rush", "PoF Rush", and "LWS4 Rush" as well

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:In WoW i had a blast unlocking a race, it takes quite some time but all the questing made it a joy to do.In GW2, even attempting to do the skyskale is like shooting yourself in the head every time you think it's getting fun, the joy scale is so low it makes started areas in LOTRO look like a breeze.That's very much a matter of perspective. Personally to me the Skyscale collection was one of the most fun things I did in this game. All those scavenger hunts, exploring the maps to find hidden scales, eggs, whatever, feeding and playing with my Skyscale, the whole thing was exactly my cup of tea. I know I'm not the only one that truly enjoys this kind of content, either (although I did enjoy carrying cakes and mail through the shire on around 50 hobbits and a variety of other races back in the days I played LotRO, too ;) ).

Fortunately for you though, there's nothing the Skyscale gives that you can't achieve using other mounts, so you can just take those collections a bit at a time, or even not at all if you don't like it.

The problem is the map, finding the eggs is already an impossible task and then you have the map that takes meta events on a higher priority than simply playing the game.Yesterday i had a fit because in an hour i could only find one single egg (i did found 5 a while ago) and before i even had a chance of finding the next the map teleported me to the start, if that isn't bad design i don't know what is.Seriously, let me collect without this bs in my way, i already am pressed with play time and this makes it all allot worst.

Ether get rid of it or don't drag the whole map with it, keep it localized in the middle.