Warclaw reflections by a total wvw noob for other total wvw noobs

Tinker.6924

Not having the warclaw sucks! You can't keep up with the group and if you do arrive while there's fighting, its usually right when a fight has nearly ended. And getting left behind makes you easy prey for every mounted enemy on the map.

To anyone new to wvw all I can say is: don't give up, keep chasing the zerg, your persistence and patience will pay off. You are paying your dues.

I played a f-ton of wvw this weekend and got everything I needed for the warclaw. Buy PoF (its on sale and you get HoT free now!), put a point in the warclaw wvw mastery, select the warclaw reward track, and be persistent. Every thing just comes down to time played + persistence + patience.

Make sure you touch every guild buff, chow down some xp food and use those xp boosters that Anet gives out all the time. If you've been smart you've been saving those "useless" wvw ones for days like these. And then... join a map. Doesn't really matter which one. Don't see any commanders to tag up and join squad on one map, switch to a different map (use the waypoint) and then another, etc... Ask in /team and /map if there is a squad to join and where everyone is headed. Ask for a discord link (even if you can't talk, you can listen) .Let them know you're new. Once you get in a group, get your cardio on! Do that marathon run from the waypoint to where ever the zerg seems to be going. As long as you're active in some small way you're going to get reward track xp and even when you're late, your often getting credit and loot.

And eventually, you'll get your warclaw.

To be honest you'd be more successful doing things on your own than following mounted commanders. Flipping objectives requires 3-5 people (can be done with less, but becomes obnoxious when you have to rerun for supplies) and you can even do most of them on eotm because those never get defended.

Reward track takes 4-5 hours of doing pve stuff (killing guards, sentries etc) with boosters. You can also hope that your server owns SM and enemy has some attackers for some free participation.

Getting warclaw is easier than most new people would think. Even pve masteries require more grind.

if you are a new player just ask in /m for help with whatever youre working on. sure, therell be some memes but 90% of the time someone with a lot more skill in wvw than you will help. i think that's a big point the pve mupps miss, wvw is a very team orientated gamemode, if you with us you with us, someone will help.

Funny that the warclaw is so overpowered that people have taken to the forums begging new players not to immediately leave once they discover how disadvantaged they are.

Sorry guys, but In WvW's current state most new players are going to take one good look at it and nope the hell out. One of the great things about this game was that you could enjoy WvW to some extent even if you were under leveled. But expecting players who want to give WvW a try to grind for 10 hours (roughly) before they can begin to "enjoy" (lol) the mode is unreasonable.

@Infusion.7149 said:The above topic is why warclaw should not have been added , especially on Alpine BL. New players just can't keep up, whereas desert BL has the shrine jump pad things at least.

It took 15 minutes of easy game play to get a raptor. It took 10 hours of less easy game play to get a warclaw. If you want to make an argument about things that seems like a good place to start. Even chasing the zerg, I was still kind of part of it. And yeah, maybe there was a faster way for me to solo it, but I didn't join something that is supposed to be about Large Scale, Epic PvP clashes to run around the world by myself for a bunch of hours. The game's scenery isn't that interesting.

This is coming from a gw2 noob with way less than 1 week of exposure to wvw and 6-7 months of total game time in gw2 so you can take it with a grain of salt... but I did enjoy a fair bit of pvp in other MMO's, I do feel like I can offer some valid experience overall.

• PVP should be fluid, exciting and challenging and gw2 has that in small scale.
  • Large scale PVP should be gaming sessions with epic battles, lots of them, with numerous small scale skirmishes in between every epic clash. That barely describes my wvw experience with the warclaw.

Without the warclaw, there is simply too much open space and not enough bodies to fill it, even NPC bodies, to make it feel epic. I doubt that tripling the wvw population would make that much of a difference. Maybe it was good enough 6 years ago, but gamers are now watching pro's rip through each other and talking about their Actions Per Minute metrics and naturally gravitating to faster and faster paced pvp games. Case in point: 2 months ago I watched an Overwatch match on comcast cable with my 72-year old father-in-law and he was captivated by it. And so was I.

Even though WvW should be more like Chess than Overwatch, it shouldn't be like chess in an arthritis-riddled body where you know what to do in an instant but its an ordeal to just move the pawn 2 squares. At least with the warclaw its just chess and not arthritic-chess.

The warclaw is probably saving wvw from irrelevance.

^ rent a warclaw is a good idea but if it's only at spawn from the warclaw tender , how would people get from say a keep to the bottom of the map if they're red on desert BL?

In addition until someone reaches rank 36 they won't be able to use the third warclaw leap (which was another bad idea from the start) let alone finish downed with battle maul. Add 60 points from war gliding lean and it's up to rank 96 just to have decent WvW mobility (1186 for all masteries in WvW).

EmmetOtter, a lot of that has to do with timezone coverage and what server you're on. If you're not part of a WvW guild or your server community it is difficult to grasp what is going on because many times people are invis tagged or whatnot.

@"Infusion.7149" said:^ rent a warclaw is a good idea but if it's only at spawn from the warclaw tender , how would people get from say a keep to the bottom of the map if they're red on desert BL?

How about it simply gives you a buff that allows you to mount/dismount as you please for a set amount of time. Like 50 silver for a buff like birthday/food buff that lasts 2 hours and gives you full access to the warclaw. Points spent in mastery would still be needed.

In addition until someone reaches rank 36 they won't be able to use the third warclaw leap (which was another bad idea from the start) let alone finish downed with battle maul. Add 60 points from war gliding lean and it's up to rank 96 just to have decent WvW mobility (1186 for all masteries in WvW).

Yea they've really backed themselves into a corner. Sometimes I like to imagine a WvW event with no mounts and no gliding. But I think that would be a bad idea. I"m not sure I could play 7 days of bliss and then go back to... this.Because you're right these two masteries give players such a colossal advantage that new players are looking at weeks of grind before they find themselves on even footing with older players.

Now that I think about it, someone should make a thread on just how inaccessible WvW is to new players.

@Infusion.7149 said:EmmetOtter, a lot of that has to do with timezone coverage and what server you're on. If you're not part of a WvW guild or your server community it is difficult to grasp what is going on because many times people are invis tagged or whatnot.

I'm not even sure how you could have pulled that from anything I wrote.

You made a very specific statement that the warclaw was a bad thing when all it changes is how fast you, and everyone else, move from point A to B. If that feature had not been added and wvw kept as it was, wvw would move at a pace that simply has no business existing in today's gaming and would be unappealing to new players. It would have ceased to be relevant in this modern world. Your statement essentially advocated for the return to a 20mph speed limit in a world that goes 75 today and tomorrow will want to go faster.

If you're issue isn't with the introduction of the warclaw but with the time gating and massive # of wvw points required to max it out, I won't argue against that. The effort does seem completely out-of-proportion with the pve mounts.

The warclaw is probably hard to get for those that enter wvw to get a mount, but not something anywhere near out of reach for those who enter wvw for the pleasure of playing the gamemode itself, an open world pvp area where you complete objectives for your server, roam, duel, fight against other players, learn some new stuff about your profession, participate in large scale pvp fights and so on. And yeah, you can do all that stuff without using a mount, some of it probably not in the same amount as after getting it, but wvw is filled with al that I've listed above. It's just a matter of what are you there for.

@NuhDah.9812 said:The warclaw is probably hard to get for those that enter wvw to get a mount, but not something anywhere near out of reach for those who enter wvw for the pleasure of playing the gamemode itself, an open world pvp area where you complete objectives for your server, roam, duel, fight against other players, learn some new stuff about your profession, participate in large scale pvp fights and so on. And yeah, you can do all that stuff without using a mount, some of it probably not in the same amount as after getting it, but wvw is filled with al that I've listed above. It's just a matter of what are you there for.

As a frequenter of WvW (bordering on a the beginner stages of a vet), I stash my WvW pots (have about 3 stacksish) for special events/reward tracks such as that,. Really helped speed up the process to get that mount tho.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@NuhDah.9812 said:The warclaw is probably hard to get for those that enter wvw to get a mount, but not something anywhere near out of reach for those who enter wvw for the pleasure of playing the gamemode itself, an open world pvp area where you complete objectives for your server, roam, duel, fight against other players, learn some new stuff about your profession, participate in large scale pvp fights and so on. And yeah, you can do all that stuff without using a mount, some of it probably not in the same amount as after getting it, but wvw is filled with al that I've listed above. It's just a matter of what are you there for.

As a frequenter of WvW (bordering on a the
beginner stages of a vet
), I stash my WvW pots (have about 3 stacksish) for special events/reward tracks such as that,. Really helped speed up the process to get that mount tho.

cough false modesty cough

Sure. But why is there a need for even a very short grind at the start to get to the level of other players? There is really no need for this and it can only deter new players that don't know anything about the mode and all the stuff you listed. At least I don't see the benefit, only downside.There is nothing fresh or extra fun in the obtaining of Warclaw. It is just everyday's business with extra annoyance if everyone else has it and you don't.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

As a frequenter of WvW (bordering on a the
beginner stages of a vet
), I stash my WvW pots (have about 3 stacksish) for special events/reward tracks such as that,. Really helped speed up the process to get that mount tho.

cough
false modesty
cough

First time I ever stated that so dang right lol

@Cuks.8241 said:

@"NuhDah.9812" said:The warclaw is probably hard to get for those that enter wvw to get a mount, but not something anywhere near out of reach for those who enter wvw for the pleasure of playing the gamemode itself, an open world pvp area where you complete objectives for your server, roam, duel, fight against other players, learn some new stuff about your profession, participate in large scale pvp fights and so on. And yeah, you can do all that stuff without using a mount, some of it probably not in the same amount as after getting it, but wvw is filled with al that I've listed above. It's just a matter of what are you there for.

Sure. But why is there a need for even a very short grind at the start to get to the level of other players? There is really no need for this and it can only deter new players that don't know anything about the mode and all the stuff you listed. At least I don't see the benefit, only downside.There is nothing fresh or extra fun in the obtaining of Warclaw. It is just everyday's business with extra annoyance if everyone else has it and you don't.

Well if you take it as some form of progression in the game mode it doesn't take that much time. Gw2 doesn't have much of any gear progression in the pvp modes, so as soon as you get ascended gear from whatever sources are easier for you, and slot the wvw infusions, you're practically done with gear progression. Then the wvw "masteries" remain, warclaw being part of it. It's one of the bigger progression steps, but it gives you something to aim for if you've just started, also having you pass through most of the basic stuff you'll encounter in wvw.

Well I don't really want progression in pvp mode but that is just opinion. Some like it some don't. And it is a mmorpg, some progression is expected and already in the game. But you aren't getting much advantage with WvW ranks, not something that a new player will really feel and nowhere close to Warclaw. I mean it is even hard if not impossible to keep up with the group. I imagine that just sucks for new player. I genuinely feel bad for players that are left in the dust on foot.Usually progression is tied to some new activities. For example in pve you progress through quests, events, dungeons,... Obtaining Warclaw is just regular WvW with added annoyance. It is like you are a newbie basketball player and you want to join a veteran group of players. They say, sure join we always welcome new players but you have to play the first 10 matches barefoot. Doesn't really sound like a nice welcome, more like a straight kitten you.

@Cuks.8241 said:Well I don't really want progression in pvp mode but that is just opinion. Some like it some don't. And it is a mmorpg, some progression is expected and already in the game. But you aren't getting much advantage with WvW ranks, not something that a new player will really feel and nowhere close to Warclaw. I mean it is even hard if not impossible to keep up with the group. I imagine that just sucks for new player. I genuinely feel bad for players that are left in the dust on foot.Usually progression is tied to some new activities. For example in pve you progress through quests, events, dungeons,... Obtaining Warclaw is just regular WvW with added annoyance. It is like you are a newbie basketball player and you want to join a veteran group of players. They say, sure join we always welcome new players but you have to play the first 10 matches barefoot. Doesn't really sound like a nice welcome, more like a straight kitten you.

It’s a reward track... some achievements... and ONE bloody WvW rank to get the mount....

And.., capping the keep us one of the hardest things., and it’s been pointed out multiple times how easy it is and when to get it.

It is only hard if someone hates doing it. If that’s the case? Too young cat bad.

@EmmetOtter.8542 said:

@"Infusion.7149" said:EmmetOtter, a lot of that has to do with timezone coverage and what server you're on. If you're not part of a WvW guild or your server community it is difficult to grasp what is going on because many times people are invis tagged or whatnot.

I'm not even sure how you could have pulled that from anything I wrote.

You made a very specific statement that the warclaw was a bad thing when all it changes is how fast you,
and everyone else
, move from point A to B. If that feature had not been added and wvw kept as it was, wvw would move at a pace that simply has no business existing in today's gaming and would be unappealing to new players. It would have ceased to be relevant in this modern world. Your statement essentially advocated for the return to a 20mph speed limit in a world that goes 75 today and tomorrow will want to go faster.

If you're issue isn't with the introduction of the warclaw but with the time gating and massive # of wvw points required to max it out, I won't argue against that. The effort does seem completely out-of-proportion with the pve mounts.

Your comment is that without the warclaw (which we did not have at launch and for years) that the combat is too slow and that there's "too much space". It's the same view that brought the powercreep that we have today. An even faster pace is only suited to younger people with low attention span : WvW never was an esport and only player-made GvGs in EOTM/Obsidian Sanctum with player limits are actually suited for an audience. The game already slows down in EBG with 3 map blobs (server side and clientside), so an even faster pace is a terrible idea (see Desert BL introduction with the lagfest laser event).

It (warclaw) already disincentives flipping T3 keeps since the defending team can just run back (warclaw is faster on owned territory) and people just run from fights with triple leaps. When it was first released it was also super unbalanced to the point people were just using multi-player instakills with Battle Maul instead of fighting. If you played WvW when we had bunker meta or hammer train , people didn't vaporize to ranged AoE as much and zerg-busting / havoc was more common.

My issue with the warclaw is mainly that it creates a barrier for new players , not just that it basically killed roaming and disincentives attacking tiered keep on alpine BL. It also makes alpine borderlands play a lot different than at launch. Unlike desert BL there is strategic value in holding towers since you can treb the keeps from them and the time from spawn to the Bay (western) and Hills (eastern) keeps is necessary to delay defense response. When warclaw was brand new , the entire week my server would help PvE players get the warclaw and leave WvW. That doesn't happen much now so if a new player is on a server where the matchup is poor and keeps aren't being flipped, that's a problem. It's especially a problem if the person is just there for the mount.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Cuks.8241 said:Well I don't really want progression in pvp mode but that is just opinion. Some like it some don't. And it is a mmorpg, some progression is expected and already in the game. But you aren't getting much advantage with WvW ranks, not something that a new player will really feel and nowhere close to Warclaw. I mean it is even hard if not impossible to keep up with the group. I imagine that just sucks for new player. I genuinely feel bad for players that are left in the dust on foot.Usually progression is tied to some new activities. For example in pve you progress through quests, events, dungeons,... Obtaining Warclaw is just regular WvW with added annoyance. It is like you are a newbie basketball player and you want to join a veteran group of players. They say, sure join we always welcome new players but you have to play the first 10 matches barefoot. Doesn't really sound like a nice welcome, more like a straight kitten you.

It’s a reward track... some achievements... and
ONE
bloody WvW rank to get the mount....

And.., capping the keep us one of the hardest things., and it’s been pointed out multiple times how easy it is and when to get it.

It is only hard if someone hates doing it. If that’s the case? Too young cat bad.

WvW is bleeding players. Is it really a good idea to lock an ESSENTIAL tool behind any sort of grind wall. People who come into WvW to give it a try should be on a level footing immediately. Maybe then they might actually enjoy themselves and perhaps stay. Or invite their PvE friends to give it a try. But I promise you, no PvE player is going to stay or recommend the mode to friends when they spend their first few hours getting chased down by groups of giant cats because they were left behind by their allies, who were also riding giant cats.