New interview with mike Z (german)

zealex.9410

https://mein-mmo.de/guild-wars-2-jeden-monat-etwas-aufregendes/

The gist of it (based on what ppl who do speak german told me):

No new map every episode, maps will be expanded with new releases (known)

Dark Cthulhu/eldritch story vibes (known)

Exciting updates every month, a bit of what they shared included prologue and episode 1 pre 2020.

Fractal and raids still developed.

It goes into some detail for strike missions supposedly, you can lowman them if you wish to do so and can be farmed.

If someone has the time to go through the interview and give a more detailed translation feel free to do so.

Edit: Apparently in the interview Mike Z also said that repeatable cms are being talked internally. (raid cms i assume)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Menadena.7482 said:So if we are getting new episodes monthly does that mean they are taking a few months off before the end of the year? Or just that they have not told us about all the episodes in the next 4 months (which seems a waste not to have mentioned at their event)?

Monthly updates may not mean monthly episodes. Halloween could be one update, a fractal another, or build templates

@"Menadena.7482" said:So if we are getting new episodes monthly does that mean they are taking a few months off before the end of the year? Or just that they have not told us about all the episodes in the next 4 months (which seems a waste not to have mentioned at their event)?

According to Google translate he said "something exciting every month" not "new episodes" they list September prologue, October Halloween, November episode one, December Wintersday.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"Menadena.7482" said:So if we are getting new episodes monthly does that mean they are taking a few months off before the end of the year? Or just that they have not told us about all the episodes in the next 4 months (which seems a waste not to have mentioned at their event)?

According to Google translate he said "something exciting every month" not "new episodes" they list September prologue, October Halloween, November episode one, December Wintersday.

This explains why they added dragon bash, so they could have more filler festivals.... because 6 months of the year are dedicated to festivals, Anets cheap "look new content!" filler.

@Pifil.5193 said:

Hopefully they do not thing copy and paste festivals as 'something exciting' unless there has been a major change! Most of the repeating festivals I only go to now to farm, many not even for that.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:So if we are getting new episodes monthly does that mean they are taking a few months off before the end of the year? Or just that they have not told us about all the episodes in the next 4 months (which seems a waste not to have mentioned at their event)?

Hopefully they do not thing copy and paste festivals as 'something exciting' unless there has been a major change! Most of the repeating festivals I only go to now to farm, many not even for that.

Spoiler... they will

@Blocki.4931 said:They quite literally list festivals and other events as something during the months without episode release. Still, they tell us that releases WILL be faster this season

Ugh! Someone needs to tell them copying content from the previous year is the very definition of not exciting. While I love Halloween I would never call it new content. If so they are just padding their numbers as they never counted it in their release cadence during previous seasons.

So far from monthly. They are giving us something new about every 2 months. Maybe.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:They quite literally list festivals and other events as something during the months without episode release. Still, they tell us that releases WILL be faster this season

Ugh! Someone needs to tell them copying content from the previous year is the very definition of not exciting. While I love Halloween I would never call it new content. If so they are just padding their numbers as they never counted it in their release cadence during previous seasons.

So far from monthly. They are giving us something new about every 2 months. Maybe.

Still, if this means that we will get 6 months of lw updates (which id assume considering its largely all based around lw, and their schedule for the rest of 2019 seem to imply) its still leagues better than what we had in se4.

@zealex.9410 said:

Still, if this means that we will get 6 months of lw updates (which id assume considering its largely all based around lw, and their schedule for the rest of 2019 seem to imply) its still leagues better than what we had in se4.

I will believe it when I see it. Pretty much every time they have given a time estimate they have missed it.

@Menadena.7482 said:

I will believe it when I see it. Pretty much every time they have given a time estimate they have missed it.

I dont belive they've given a time estimate like this for ep1 in like years.

no LW3 did a once every two months release until PoF came out.

This time around they wont be doing new maps every release and instead releasing expansions of current zones, which would take up less resources. So likely able to put out more updates that balance itself out because of not needing to keep making new maps. This likely saves map space for the third Expansion.

It's almost guaranteed that they'll take a long break toward the end of the year. They've stated before that several people leave the country to visit family at the end of every year and they had no intention of stopping that. I may be wrong, but I think they've done that as far back as the first Guild Wars too.

I looked this over and thought to myself....If Mike O had said even half of this stuff I would have been over the moon and bought into every last word.But Mike Z has proven time and time again that he starts a hype train with buzzwords like "expansion-level" only to underwhelm. We're now at the point where even filler content designed to keep us busy between releases is busted beyond fixing.We're waiting longer between releases than we have since the beginning of S3 and he's let us know that the map variety and cadence of delivery that some of us really enjoyed as central to our experience in this game is no longer "on the table".And he's managed to use community memes to sell it to a large part of the fanbase.

What would have been a time for me to get very excited about this game is now generating skepticism.I'm very much "wait and see" about S5. Mike Z's hype pieces are a big reason why.

@"mindcircus.1506" said:the map variety and cadence of delivery that some of us really enjoyed as central to our experience in this game is no longer "on the table".

And some of us didnt really like that the season took 18 months to conclude and the cadence went from 2-3 months to 3-4.

If they can get the cadence back to that 2-3 month period by sacrificing a couple maps per season ill gladly take that opportunity personally.

Also, map variety? More than half of them were elona zones, what variety? It was one of the more prominent complains how ppl were tired of the same theme.

@"mindcircus.1506" said:I looked this over and thought to myself....If Mike O had said even half of this stuff I would have been over the moon and bought into every last word.But Mike Z has proven time and time again that he starts a hype train with buzzwords like "expansion-level" only to underwhelm. We're now at the point where even filler content designed to keep us busy between releases is busted beyond fixing.We're waiting longer between releases than we have since the beginning of S3 and he's let us know that the map variety and cadence of delivery that some of us really enjoyed as central to our experience in this game is no longer "on the table".And he's managed to use community memes to sell it to a large part of the fanbase.

What would have been a time for me to get very excited about this game is now generating skepticism.I'm very much "wait and see" about S5. Mike Z's hype pieces are a big reason why.

He says this is their goal for S5:

"Actually, we want to be faster now than in the last season. Our current priority is that we try to have something exciting in the game every month. For this we have the living world, but also festivals that take place regularly. In addition, there are those, as we call them internally, bonus events in which you should defeat, for example, World Boss."

Even if some of it is just filler, it still sounds better than S3 lol

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It all depends on the amount of content we get. I don’t want to get less content for the same of content being released more frequently.

I'm with you there, if the maps are LS4 sized and they release, on average, two episodes per map and they release those episodes two or so months apart with as much content as an LS3 or LS4 episode then... I'll be delighted. Absolutely delighted.

We'll have to see what they can manage, of course but if they release in September and November then they're off to a great start!

in short:ok, they will start with a big map - and then plan to be creative with it and flesh it outMarjory and Kas will return. The group will be retained but you won't see all of them all the time. There will be some kind of rotation to keep the interaction on a manageable levelThey want to release content faster than with lw4, but they also count festival and bonus events as content . . .Prolog in SeptemberFirst episode in novemberNew map, which he said will be gorgeous (I hope so, always liked Shiverpeaks maps) and was inspired by GW1Drakkar as new world boss will be harder than any other world boss so far, intended to bring players together, but it won't be there from the beginningThe new strike missions will be either like the rift events: you go in with randoms, you do it with randoms OR you can go in with a dedicated groupThey are working on raids&fractals

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It all depends on the amount of content we get. I don’t want to get less content for the same of content being released more frequently.

I'm with you there, if the maps are LS4 sized and they release, on average, two episodes per map and they release those episodes two or so months apart with as much content as an LS3 or LS4 episode then... I'll be delighted. Absolutely delighted.

We'll have to see what they can manage, of course but if they release in September and November then they're off to a great start!

Yeah. What you described is what I’m hoping.

@zealex.9410 said:Also, map variety? More than half of them were elona zones, what variety? It was one of the more prominent complains how ppl were tired of the same theme.So you are saying that the difference between Istan and Sandswept Isles is less variety than getting the same map slowly revealed over several release cycles?I dunno man... I will wait and see how it pans out but on the surface I can't agree.@"videoboy.4162" said:He says this is their goal for S5:

"Actually, we want to be faster now than in the last season. Our current priority is that we try to have something exciting in the game every month. For this we have the living world, but also festivals that take place regularly. In addition, there are those, as we call them internally, bonus events in which you should defeat, for example, World Boss."

Even if some of it is just filler, it still sounds better than S3 lolReally?Because the filler content we have gotten since Dragonfall has been bugged just as often as it has worked as intended.We've seen Community event meters that didnt work more than once, a cooking update that forced the disabling of a gathering glyph, automated PvP tournaments put "on hold", ... hey let's not forget the big Champion Rush event that was so broken they just said "screw it" and gave everyone the max loot.I would definitely take S3 and the Current Events content we got between releases instead of what things have been like the past 4 months. The promise of more of the same does not have me excited.