Just some of my thoughts - we tend to forget devs are also human

Cerioth.7062

Hello.

As starters I'd like to say that yes, everything lately has not gone perfectly for the studio with the layoffs and all that has come after - I know this latest announcement was a disappointment to some of the community, and maybe rightfully so if they expected to hear more about non-story things and upcoming expansions.

However, devs are humans same as the rest of us, and can make mistakes. I do not think they are intending any ill will, and most of them seem to put a lot of effort and passion into this game. It does not take much to realise that there is real talent to be found in this game - the quality of the releases just keeps getting better and better, improvements are being constantly made and brought to us.

I feel like we as a community forget sometimes that the people working on this game are just that - people. They have their own wishes and dreams and visions and pursue for them, and perhaps the direction of the game is not meant for everyone. Sure, there are things that could use more attention - such as WvW. However I feel like the core issues with WvW and PVP come from decisions made at launch and is not the fault of the present updates to these game modes. Fixing these game modes will also take a lot of time, since the dev resources seem to go into sustaining these game modes rather than re-inventing them.

Regardless of all that I think we should not forget what a beautiful game this is, at the end of the day. How it respects our time, there is something for everyone, the attention paid to the detail, visuals and sound dsign is absolutely stunning. How story is voice acted, how good the flow of the combat is, and how we still keep getting frequent updates and added things to the game. Yes, festivals, raid releases, increased cooking level so on all count as new content. Players choosing to limit themselves to one game mode is not the fault of the game - it is your choice as a player.

I am not seeking for huge amount of negativity or people coming here to express how much the game sucks to them. I'd just like to ask us all to remember that there is still plenty good things in this game - and that the people making it perhaps do not deserve as much hate and judgement as we as a community tend to give to them. I trust that this game can produce great content whether it is expansions or sagas - just look how phenomenal LWS4 was!

I'd also like to point out that while PVP and WvW get less attention, they have still gotten more frequent updates and attention than previously. And we know that more is coming, even if we do not have many details or a clear timeframe. Raids surely wont be forgotten - otherwise there would be no point to the upcoming strike missions. Fractals have been receiving continous improvements.

It's not all doom and gloom, let's enjoy what we have now and what is yet to come.

While it might have happened, I haven't seen any negativity aimed towards individual devs. What I am seeing is concern and complaints aimed at the general direction of Anet/NCsoft. I have no doubt the artists and coders are working their kittens off to deliver the best they can. But there is no negativity towards them.

Yes, devs are humans (quite shockingly).Devs are also employees of a corporation. And like most corporations, it doesn't see me as human but as a money bag. So I don't see why I should treat it any differently. It might sound cynical but then again this is not about two friends interacting. It's about a transaction between a provider and a customer.

It is also human to be harsh to the ones you love, knowing they can do so much better. People being critical mean they still care. Or you'd rather have only praises and the people who aren't satisfied just leave?After all, GW2 is just one of the millions of games out there that's just a category of thousands of things that compete for a person's very finite free time.

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:They are a business and I am a customer.

I'm unsure if you are a customer I would want to serve based on this comment alone. Are you implying that the OP is irrelevant because it comes down to you providing the company money? I'm sure there is more to their jobs than paychecks. I imagine they expect more fulfillment from their work than that. Lets at least try to add to their fulfillment by reducing the negativity. They have, in fact, delivered significant quality for what we've spent (and not spent as there is no sub fee.) I say hats off to a job well done so far.

Of course, you may just be stating a simple fact. If that is the case, forgive me for my assumption.

i was disappointed in the announcement but none of that was directed at the devs they do a fantastic job. if i was upset it was upper management for over hyping the event but not enough to lash out to them. the people who do the work are top notch people from what i can see. there are many releases i have shout out nothing but praise. to me thats yelling at someone at the corner grocery store when the person i was mad at is the higher ups who make the rules. i never would yell at someone just doing there job

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

@"Dragon Priestess.9760" said:They are a business and I am a customer.

I'm unsure if you are a customer I would want to serve based on this comment alone. Are you implying that the OP is irrelevant because it comes down to you providing the company money? I'm sure there is more to their jobs than paychecks. I imagine they expect more fulfillment from their work than that. Lets at least try to add to their fulfillment by reducing the negativity. They have, in fact, delivered significant quality for what we've spent (and not spent as there is no sub fee.) I say hats off to a job well done so far.

Of course, you may just be stating a simple fact. If that is the case, forgive me for my assumption.

I don't see why I can't voice my concern over a direction a service has taken, just because it might not add to someone's fulfillment. I might censor myself for friends and family. A service provider is neither.

And again, most of what you call "negativity" is just negative feedback aimed toward the higher-ups making the decisions. The average dev is just an employee, looking to do the best with what they have. And they most likely had nothing to do with said decisions.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

I don't see why I can't voice my concern over a direction a service has taken, just because it might not add to someone's fulfillment. I might censor myself for friends and family. A service provider is neither.

And again, most of what you call "negativity" is just negative feedback aimed toward the higher-ups making the decisions. The average dev is just an employee, looking to do the best with what they have. And they most likely had nothing to do with said decisions.

As someone who has worked in the service industry for quite some time, it is best to censor your negativity towards a service provider. There is no obligation to serve people who are rude and antisocial. Whenever I run into customers like that they get one warning. After that, I will show them the door. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in my country it is unacceptable to be rude to service workers and such behavior will not be accepted. There is nothing wrong with negative feedback. What matters is how you express it. It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong. There's something called common decency. And if you choose to throw that aside, the consequences might very well be a denial of service, no matter if you're right. And trust me, there are plenty of people out there who need more than a few lessons in how to deal with other people. If their parents didn't raise them right, the world will teach them that being an ass doesn't get you very far. Throughout the years I've seen plenty of posts on the Forum of people who just don't get that being respectful will get you further than being an ass.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

As someone who has worked in the service industry for quite some time, it is best to censor your negativity towards a service provider. There is no obligation to serve people who are rude and antisocial. Whenever I run into customers like that they get one warning. After that, I will show them the door. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in my country it is unacceptable to be rude to service workers and such behavior will not be accepted. There is nothing wrong with negative feedback. What matters is how you express it. It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong. There's something called common decency. And if you choose to throw that aside, the consequences might very well be a denial of service, no matter if you're right. And trust me, there are plenty of people out there who need more than a few lessons in how to deal with other people. If their parents didn't raise them right, the world will teach them that being an kitten doesn't get you very far. Throughout the years I've seen plenty of posts on the Forum of people who just don't get that being respectful will get you further than being an kitten.

I don't disagree that feedback needs to be expressed without insults or personal attacks. But that's what I'm seeing here with the exception of a few short-lived threads.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

As someone who has worked in the service industry for quite some time, it is best to censor your negativity towards a service provider. There is no obligation to serve people who are rude and antisocial. Whenever I run into customers like that they get one warning. After that, I will show them the door. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in my country it is unacceptable to be rude to service workers and such behavior will not be accepted. There is nothing wrong with negative feedback. What matters is how you express it. It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong. There's something called common decency. And if you choose to throw that aside, the consequences might very well be a denial of service, no matter if you're right. And trust me, there are plenty of people out there who need more than a few lessons in how to deal with other people. If their parents didn't raise them right, the world will teach them that being an kitten doesn't get you very far. Throughout the years I've seen plenty of posts on the Forum of people who just don't get that being respectful will get you further than being an kitten.

I don't disagree that feedback needs to be expressed without insults or personal attacks. But that's what I'm seeing here with the exception of a few short-lived threads.

You won't see is as much here on the forums, but I've been it quite a bit on reddit and other places. Never underestimate how shitty people can be.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

You won't see is as much here on the forums, but I've been it quite a bit on reddit and other places. Never underestimate how kitten people can be.

Majority of threads on reddit about this situation were simply feedback.

@zealex.9410 said:

You won't see is as much here on the forums, but I've been it quite a bit on reddit and other places. Never underestimate how kitten people can be.

I've seen people outright calling the game trash. I've seen people responding to positive posts by calling the posters fanboys, suckups, and white knights.The subreddit is looking better now since the number of threads has slowed and many people have started to chill out, allowing the moderators to more effectively police it. But it was pretty bad for a while. I'm not saying they were the majority, but there were enough to be noticeable and make me stop going to the subreddit while waiting for it to settle.

I imagine if the devs could speak freely, they would have some pretty harsh things to say about ANET's management too.They sometimes seem to get thrown under the bus considering Mike O wasn't even present at the debacle. It is very rare that workers and upper management completely see eye to eye.And please, don't take this as white knighting. I am still waiting for an 'expansion-like' reason to come back and play (which has not happened yet).

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

I've seen people outright calling the game trash. I've seen people responding to positive posts by calling the posters fanboys, suckups, and white knights.The subreddit is looking better now since the number of threads has slowed and many people have started to chill out, allowing the moderators to more effectively police it. But it was pretty bad for a while. I'm not saying they were the majority, but there were enough to be noticeable and make me stop going to the subreddit while waiting for it to settle.

In my experience both were pretty bad albeit reddit had alot of spam because the mods there didnt create a megathread. Both tho had a bunch of threads deleted.

Plus the first part, about calling the game trash, ppl fanboys/haters etc also happens in the forums albeit it gets deleted much faster and or is worded better.

Reddit works afterall as an alternative to the forums for the ppl that dont like the extreme moderation of the official forums.

Back to the OP, I am absolutely looking forward to the 17th. In the meantime I've been enjoying some of the HoT collections I never got around to completing. They have taken me back to some maps that are simply stunning. Truly, this is a visually fantastic game. The mounts have brought a whole new level of replayability to that area for me on my alts.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

I don't disagree with anything you're saying; however, I'm really perplexed as to wear this rudeness towards the devs is coming from. I hear about it, yet I havn't seen one iota of rudeness on this forum or are reddit (though I'm sure there is a rude post or comment here and there reddit).

The problem is though, they soley addressed these alleged rude people, and absolutely none of the feedback. That's the problem. That's basically being rude to customers in a roundabout way.

Same thing about being respectful, I don't think I've seen one person or post anywhere be disrespectful (though I'm sure there must be if combed through all posts and comments. Being respectful doesn't necessarily get things going further either, especially, if they're listening to the wrong people (as we see time and time again with unwarranted nerfs). Many times it takes direct and harsh criticism and putting people on the spot to get them to realize the error of their ways.

In saying that though, I believe Anet is just following marching orders from NCsoft; so we really can't blame them for anything really. They're just doing what they are told with the the best of the resources they have available, that is the sad reality i'm sure.

@Erasculio.2914 said:I think some people also forget that the players are human, too.

As such, it's not unusual to see people get too carried away about something that's important to them.

100% agree. The criticism wouldn't come if people didn't care and want to see this product improve and last a long time on the market. Most people just started to see a decline in population, wondered where ANET was going, didn't see much, and ultimately said....wait a minute....aren't you going to address these glaring issues?As for how the devs fit into all this. It is hard to say. They are more than welcome to defend themselves (as rubi did....to what? we will never know...it didn't add up to what was shown) and the community would love some sort of feedback of any kind really. I think they get targeted simply because 'if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem' and people want to see there is an actual person behind that computer, realizing there is issues, and finally address them.