When will the glamour trait come back ?

viquing.8254

I'd like to see Eather Feast turned into a glamour with a different effect. Right now this heal skill is one of the most lackluster ones with no trait synergy.

I'd also like to see Time Warp's duration being cut in halt but with a half as long cooldown as well. Or maybe a 2 ammunition skill with 5 seconds duration and 90 sec cooldown to make it worth using in PvP and solo PvE content.

@"Xaylin.1860" said:We clearly have different opinions :p . That's okay for me - we both got arguments which make them reasonable.Yeah :)

Most traits you like and I dislike (and vice versa) probably come from our preferred playstyles.

• As you said yourself, Domination isn't picked because it is bad. Not because Duelling so great.Domination IS picked, on power mirage. Of course it isn't picked on bunker chrono or condi mirage.In the end, especially Superiority Complex isn't that much different than Mental Anguish.It is numerically much better as long as you have a decent crit chance (which you do).Domination isn't picked because the Minors and lower tier traits are so underwhelming and one-dimensional. Duelling on the otherhand has something for everyone.See above, plus, I think it is fine if domination is focused on damage+boonrip+interrupt, but the traits have been nerfed so many times.
  • If Glamours were in Illusions I would still be bothered. You could argue that the name fits but it clearly doesn't suit the other traits within the line. I'm not here to argue for the sake of arguing."clearly". Ok nice opinion.Plus, it doesn't matter to me wether we're discussing a status quo or theorycrafting. I want the game to be great and that involves challenging the status quo.Don't know what this refers to / means.My personal pick would be Chaos because it already has some form of area control and support.It doesn't really have support. I get that if we take your suggestion it world syngergize with Descent into madness etc., but I all your suggestion leads to is permanent chaos armour around you, which isn't fun or interactive.
  • Regarding Signets, those are a bad example, to be honest.No, it is a good example. You said matter-of-factly "glamours aren't for mobility" and the signet trait shows you that Anet doesn't necessarily design traits that way. Also, if glamours aren't for mobility, what is portal in that case? Glamours aren't for giving boons/condis like your suggestion entails either, they are for utility.Signets always face this dilemma because they do too many different things. That's no Mesmer issue.Why is it not a mesmer issue, I thought we were talking about blurred inscriptions?I also don't see how this affects my suggestion. Glamours are supportive. Chaos is about boons. If a Glamour trait were in Chaos, it would make sense.Yeah, if glamour trait was in chaos your suggestion would make sense indeed, the problem is that I dislike both the idea of putting it in chaos and your suggestion.Now, if my proposed trait was in Domination, it wouldn't make sense at all, of course. You can dislike my suggestion. That's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that it's well thought-out and consistent.It sounds very anti-fun having to play vs a mesmer with basically permanent chaos armour. Where would you move manipulations trait if glamour is in chaos? Or do you want to have both in one line?
  • SB on Portal isn't useless. It makes sense. It is not a real buff, I understand. ;)Tell me why it isn't useless, portal exit is instant, has a gigantic cooldown, and is very rarely used during a stun anyway.Blink will never become less appealing unless it is nerfed. It happens to be the perfect SB for Mesmers because it also offers mobility.Yep.The goal should be adding an option to Glamours.What do you mean? For mobility? Was that not one of my suggestions? I think I'm misunderstanding you here.If you dislike SB on Portal Exit so much, then make it Portal Entry. Or even put it on Veil.Veil sure, portal entry would also be bad. Portal is used strategically, not on reaction, and it can be used in stun.Just slapping it on Feedback or Nullfield because the CDs are low, doesn't make much sense gameplay-wise.It is called Null-Field, nullifying cc even makes sense with the name. And even if it hadn't, sometimes gameplay is more important, for example back when anet removed stunbreak from elementalist cantrips like lightning flash and put them on other utilities to improve the number of viable utilities.
  • My suggestion for a Glamour trait isn't useless for Portal. It could either work like in the past - where Confusion was cast upon casting Portal Exit - or when passing through the portal. It would be 'useless' for Veil, as long as it is a Light field. :'(Sure, it would only be 95% useless for portal. You simply don't use portal in fight to do damage or put up a chaos armor. The old resistance trait was also almost usless for portal.
  • A damage buff on Feedback is something I'd enjoy and actually suggested in the past. Something that has been suggested before is pulsing Retaliation because it ties with the reflect as a melee counter. I might have misunderstood you there since you were talking about damage.It was mostly an off-the-cuff example, but could work. Anet will have to come up with something themselves.

@Quadox.7834 said:You also mentioned moving mantras to domination, but 2/4 mantras are supportive.

You say you like escape artist more than desperate decoy, which makes since desperate decoy is actively detrimental in many situations, but this doesn't change the fact that escape artist is a 150% completely terrible trait.

Now, this is the point were I'm getting tired, to be honest.How does this aid your point of view? And what even is your point of view on Mantras? And how much does EA matter in this discussion? :#I just answered you, you said mantras could be moved to domination, and I point out that they are two of mesmer's most supportive utilities. In the past this could be solved by having multiple traits for the same utility category, now it is standard to fit the trait after the traitline theme instead. Mantras can fit in multiple traitlines and so can glamours.
  • 2 out of 4 Mantras are supportive. 2 out of 4 Mantras are offensive. Why I feel they could fit into Domination? Domination is associated with Dazes. MoD is a perfect match. MoP deals damage and provides Might. Yes, IB no longer does so - pitty, because that's a theme Domintion could be improved on - but Domination is still about overpowering your enemy. This is also where MoC could tie in. Is this the only place where it could fit? No. But it could fit. Feel free to share your thoughts.MoD fits domination, MoP I would say dueling personally, MoC inspiration, MoR chaos. Might has mostly been a thing for illusions rather than domination. Either way doesn't matter.
  • Escape Artist is a nice alternative for generating Clones on a stealth heavy build. Is it an awesome trait? No. But it is active, has a reasonable niche and is just a Master trait after all. Design-wise it is miles better than DD which is just a glorified target drop you can't control.

I like that it is active, and it is definitely more fun than DD. But in effectiveness it is a joke. Maybe it would be a bit better if it gave you the clone when stealth ended instead.

And wether you believe me or not - I do care about immersion and consistent themes - a lot.

I might also if it was a clear-cut issue that it fits better in a particular line, but it isn't, same as where to put mantra trait, manipulation trait, and so forth isn't clear-cut.

@Sodeni.6041 said:I'd like to see Eather Feast turned into a glamour with a different effect. Right now this heal skill is one of the most lackluster ones with no trait synergy.

I'd like it being an Illusion skill. B)

@Quadox.7834 said:Domination IS picked, on power mirage. Of course it isn't picked on bunker chrono or condi mirage.[...]It is numerically much better as long as you have a decent crit chance (which you do).That's not where the argument came from.You argued that Duelling is more prominent. I argued that it's not because Duelling is so great but because Domination is aweful.

@Quadox.7834 said:

• Regarding
    Signets
    , those are a bad example, to be honest.No, it is a good example. You said matter-of-factly "glamours aren't for mobility" and the signet trait shows you that Anet doesn't necessarily design traits that way. Also, if glamours aren't for mobility, what is portal in that case? Glamours aren't for giving boons/condis like your suggestion entails either, they are for utility.[...]I just answered you, you said mantras could be moved to domination, and I point out that they are two of mesmer's most supportive utilities. In the past this could be solved by having multiple traits for the same utility category, now it is standard to fit the trait after the traitline theme instead. Mantras can fit in multiple traitlines and so can glamours.No, they don't necessarily. But they do, most of the time. Signets are exceptions on most classes because their innate purpose is so diverse. A majority of utility groups however are clearly designed for a specific playstyle and usually traits improve on this. You will find very few utility groups which don't follow this design approach.

Just to clarify: I'm not arguing against a trait having different effects for each utility it affects. I'm fine with that. But I dislike traits which turn utilities into something that deviates too far from their original purpose or even contradicts it. This also applies to Blurred Inscriptions. If this trait didn't exist, nobody would perceive them as defensive skills. Distortions probably suits Manipulation skills way better than Signets.

Yes, Mantras could fit into different traitlines. Domination was just an example. I strongly disagree on your assessment where Glamours could fit even if they didn't provide boons. They have a very distinctive theme - stationary mostly supportive and ethereal area effects - which heavily favours Chaos (Chaotic Dampening, Descent into Madness) over Domination or Illusions.

I could see someone arguing for Inspiration. But you didn't do that, didn't you? ;)

@Quadox.7834 said:It sounds very anti-fun having to play vs a mesmer with basically permanent chaos armour. Where would you move manipulations trait if glamour is in chaos? Or do you want to have both in one line?[...]Tell me why it isn't useless, portal exit is instant, has a gigantic cooldown, and is very rarely used during a stun anyway.[...]It is called Null-Field, nullifying cc even makes sense with the name. And even if it hadn't, sometimes gameplay is more important, for example back when anet removed stunbreak from elementalist cantrips like lightning flash and put them on other utilities to improve the number of viable utilities.

Mesmers can already maintain a very high amount of Chaos Armor. That's why it has been nerfed in the past. But it's self-only. Group CA would open up more support builds - even outside of Chronomancer - but be less problematic than the old BD because it is more restrictive.

For Portal I suggested lowering the overall CD at the same time (and nerfing other aspects at the same time) to make it more usable in-combat. It would lose strategic value in WvW. But it would be way more fun in most other scenarios. Nobody fancies being a port bot and I personally wouldn't miss it at all. On the contrary... You'd actually need more Mesmers in WvW by default.

Point taken on Null-Field. Cantrips are a totally different topic, though, considering they still got Mist Form.

@Quadox.7834 said:I might also if it was a clear-cut issue that it fits better in a particular line, but it isn't, same as where to put mantra trait, manipulation trait, and so forth isn't clear-cut.

This is indeed an issue. But why make it worse?

ANet clearly ran out of ideas - or time, who knows - when it came to the last big trait rework. They should have never placed four (until they removed Temporal Enchanter) utility traits into one traitline. It's insanity. That's why Inspiration feels so cluttered and it's already pretty important because of the condition removal it brings. The thing is, that there is no easy fix to this. As we have seen ourselves by our discussion: Many skills could go into different places. There is no single right solution. The important thing is to have an overall vision for all of them and not to change them individually. I just strongly disagree on Glamours being placed in anything but Chaos or Inspiration.

@Xaylin.1860 said:

@Sodeni.6041 said:I'd like to see Eather Feast turned into a glamour with a different effect. Right now this heal skill is one of the most lackluster ones with no trait synergy.

I'd like it being an Illusion skill. B)

@Quadox.7834 said:Domination
IS
picked, on power mirage. Of course it isn't picked on bunker chrono or condi mirage.[...]It is numerically much better as long as you have a decent crit chance (which you do).That's not where the argument came from.You argued that Duelling is more prominent. I argued that it's not because Duelling is so great but because Domination is aweful.

• Regarding
    Signets
    , those are a bad example, to be honest.No, it is a good example. You said matter-of-factly "glamours aren't for mobility" and the signet trait shows you that Anet doesn't necessarily design traits that way. Also, if glamours aren't for mobility, what is portal in that case? Glamours aren't for giving boons/condis like your suggestion entails either, they are for utility.[...]I just answered you, you said mantras could be moved to domination, and I point out that they are two of mesmer's most supportive utilities. In the past this could be solved by having multiple traits for the same utility category, now it is standard to fit the trait after the traitline theme instead. Mantras can fit in multiple traitlines and so can glamours.No, they don't necessarily. But they do, most of the time. Signets are exceptions on most classes because their innate purpose is so diverse. A majority of utility groups however are clearly designed for a specific playstyle and usually traits improve on this. You will find very few utility groups which don't follow this design approach.

Just to clarify: I'm not arguing against a trait having different effects for each utility it affects. I'm fine with that. But I dislike traits which turn utilities into something that deviates too far from their original purpose or even contradicts it. This also applies to Blurred Inscriptions. If this trait didn't exist,
nobody
would perceive them as defensive skills. Distortions probably suits Manipulation skills way better than Signets.

Yes, Mantras could fit into different traitlines. Domination was just an example. I strongly disagree on your assessment where Glamours could fit even if they didn't provide boons. They have a very distinctive theme -
stationary
mostly supportive and
ethereal area effects
- which heavily favours Chaos (Chaotic Dampening, Descent into Madness) over Domination or Illusions.

I could see someone arguing for Inspiration. But you didn't do that, didn't you? ;)

@Quadox.7834 said:It sounds very anti-fun having to play vs a mesmer with basically permanent chaos armour. Where would you move manipulations trait if glamour is in chaos? Or do you want to have both in one line?[...]Tell me why it isn't useless, portal exit is instant, has a gigantic cooldown, and is very rarely used during a stun anyway.[...]It is called
Null-Field
, nullifying cc even makes sense with the name. And even if it hadn't, sometimes gameplay is more important, for example back when anet removed stunbreak from elementalist cantrips like lightning flash and put them on other utilities to improve the number of viable utilities.

Mesmers can already maintain a very high amount of Chaos Armor. That's why it has been nerfed in the past. But it's self-only. Group CA would open up more support builds - even outside of Chronomancer - but be less problematic than the old BD because it is more restrictive.

For Portal I suggested lowering the overall CD at the same time (and nerfing other aspects at the same time) to make it more usable in-combat. It would lose strategic value in WvW. But it would be way more fun in most other scenarios. Nobody fancies being a port bot and I personally wouldn't miss it at all. On the contrary... You'd actually need more Mesmers in WvW by default.

Point taken on Null-Field. Cantrips are a totally different topic, though, considering they still got Mist Form.

@Quadox.7834 said:I might also if it was a clear-cut issue that it fits better in a particular line, but it isn't, same as where to put mantra trait, manipulation trait, and so forth isn't clear-cut.

This is indeed an issue. But why make it worse?

ANet clearly ran out of ideas - or time, who knows - when it came to the last big trait rework. They should have
never
placed
four
(until they removed Temporal Enchanter) utility traits into one traitline. It's insanity. That's why Inspiration feels so cluttered and it's already pretty important because of the condition removal it brings. The thing is, that there is no easy fix to this. As we have seen ourselves by our discussion: Many skills could go into different places. There is no single right solution. The important thing is to have an overall vision for all of them and not to change them individually. I just strongly disagree on Glamours being placed in anything but Chaos or Inspiration.

The point (which is sort of why mantras and signets were brought up) is that the nature of the trait oftentimes depends on the traitline it is in, rather than which utilities it modifies. For example the mantra trait gives healing because it is in inspiration. In the same way, glamours can, with a bit of effort, basically fit in any traitline.

Will prob. edit this comment and add more later.

@Quadox.7834 said:The point (which is sort of why mantras and signets were brought up) is that the nature of the trait oftentimes depends on the traitline it is in, rather than which utilities it modifies. For example the mantra trait gives healing because it is in inspiration. In the same way, glamours can, with a bit of effort, basically fit in any traitline.

Is H2H about boons because it's in Alchemy, or is it about boons because Elixirs are about boons and it is therefore placed in Alchemy?

Fact is: A majority of traits cater the core theme of their utilities. Not all, sure. But why bend over backwards if there are obvious options?

Let's play a thought-game =)

Where would you place a utility trait if there was only one allowed per traitline?

• Domination - Signets
  • Duelling - Manipulations
  • Chaos - Glamours
  • Inspiration - Mantras
  • Illusions - None (Illusions)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I always found the old trait a bit boring, but I do hope some Glamour interaction will come back.

What about this: Replaces Auspicious Anguish in Chaos or Medic's Feedback or Restorative Mantras in Inspiration. Some ideas:

All Glamour skills last 50% longer and (periodically) grant allies in their area of effect Light Armor and/or Chaos Amor and/or Stability.

Increases the cast range and radius of all Glamour skills by 50% (longer portal range, bigger bubbles, pretty worthless for the Veil though) and using a Glamour creates a clone.

Glamour skills can now be reactivated to detonate them, blinding and confusing nearby enemies and granting allies their combo field buff (Chaos armor or Light Armor).

@"yusayu.3629" said:What about this: Replaces Auspicious Anguish in Chaos or Medic's Feedback or Restorative Mantras in Inspiration. Some ideas:Glamours doesnt fit to chaos. Restorative mantras is meh trait but its the only mantra trait. Why remove medic feedback if they can merge some trait in there for glamours?(its also gives revive speed increase). Better to remove useless defender phantasm on 50s cd, makes way more sense, less passive auto procs and its not worth even for GM trait. Like this aeigs on phantasms is also bad trait, why its even exist. In illusions "escape artist" ... they should fire the guy who made this trait immediately. Just like this who made POWER WRENCH(obviously that was biased anet dev who main the engi) to class with perma vigor and enchanced endurance gain as adept trait, while EA is master.About your ideas idk, better than nothing I guess?

didn't the really old glamour trait proc confusion on an enemy when they crossed its threshold, unlimited targets? I remember seeing some wvw videos of glamours hitting a ton of people and doing a ton of damage. man it would be sweet to have that back as well as mistrust. anyone have a link to those old wvw videos? would be much appreciated.

@praqtos.9035 said:

@"yusayu.3629" said:What about this: Replaces Auspicious Anguish in Chaos or Medic's Feedback or Restorative Mantras in Inspiration. Some ideas:Glamours doesnt fit to chaos. Restorative mantras is meh trait but its the only mantra trait. Why remove medic feedback if they can merge some trait in there for glamours?(its also gives revive speed increase). Better to remove useless defender phantasm on 50s cd, makes way more sense, less passive auto procs and its not worth even for GM trait. Like this aeigs on phantasms is also bad trait, why its even exist. In illusions "escape artist" ... they should fire the guy who made this trait immediately. Just like this who made POWER WRENCH(obviously that was biased anet dev who main the engi) to class with perma vigor and enchanced endurance gain as adept trait, while EA is master.About your ideas idk, better than nothing I guess?

The 50s cd Phantasm is a grandmaster, though, so we'd have to move some stuff around. I really don't like Mental Defense either, especially because it's absolutely useless due to its long CD and more or less "random" proc, but skill enhancements probably shouldn't be grandmaster traits either.

One of the issues with the Glamours currently is that they are only usable in fringe scenarios in PvE (like Matthias, Dungeon Skips, Porting ppl around JPs) and in WvW (Veil especially), and that the Portal is part of them. They don't really have anything in common, except that 3 of them look like bubbles, and ever since Portal was gutted in PvP it's not used that much anymore. Dunno, after sleeping on it I kinda like the "explosion" effect.

But I agree, that there's a lot of worthless skills in the Mesmer trees.

I'd like to see the new glamour trait put where Master of Manipulation is in the Chaos tree. Then move Master of Manipulation to the Dueling tree.

Potent Glamours-Allies affected by your glamours are stealthed.1 sec of stealthGlamour cooldowns reduced by 20%

For veil it would be an additional 1 sec per crossing.Portal 1 sec on portal interaction. Provides some cover on Portal use to get your bearings (super sneaky Portal bombs in WvW!).Feedback and nullfield would pulse 1 sec steath to allies inside. Cool synergy with medic's feedback!

I do miss the Glamour trait, seemed so fitting with Mesmer in general. Having it back as reduction to cooldown and maybe adding some random boons or conditions to enemies per tick/pass through would be pretty awesome (max number for pass throughs). Mesmers used to have boon share builds, but pretty much cannot do that anymore, bringing that back would be fun.

Additional stealth would not ever be appreciated by the masses, PvPers and WvW duelists would be up in arms about that for sure.

• 2 months later...

Glamours were what made me play mesmer. Back in the day condi confusion mesmer with glamy0ours had a solid place in zergs. It still is the best build I ve ever played with mesmer.

Glamours would be a great solution to this boon meta in my opinion. Bring glamour trait back, ot at least something similar to it.

• 3 months later...

Bump and more request :

Actually we have 5 glamour skills : feedback, null field, portal, veil, time warp.Talking about PvP :

• Feedback : basically the same as 5 years ago. Since the manipulation rework it's the second active reflect left with mirror for mesmers. Problem is that if you want situationnal reflect, you choose FB who have it on his weapon bar (no utility slot burn.), not mesmer. There isn't also enough projectile attack to justify burning a precious utility slot for this.
  • Null field : this skill is basically the same as 5 years ago. (You know before powercreep waves.). Arcane thievery is more usefull in most situation as null field will get outcovered versus boon spam and condi spam. => maybe upgrade the number of boons/condi removed ?
  • Portal : well since the nerf it's not worth it. They should at last reduce the cd if they wanted to make it more active.
  • Veil : never used in PvP.
  • Time Warp : like null field, basically the same since 5 years whereas there were powercreep on every class. The CD is too hudge for his effect.

And give a glamour trait back, should it be old confusion on glamour, old superspeed on glamour or whatever, don't wait 5 years before putting build synergy on this please.

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:

@Quadox.7834 said:Another thing to talk about is if ether feast should get a utility category and whether decoy, mirror images, phantasmal disenchanter and phantasmal defender should get a category.They used to have its own ‘category’ in Illu in the form of Illusionist’s Celerity (-15% CD of all illusion skills), and draws benefits from the range of traits that deal with clone/phantasms anyway. Apart from appropriate CD shaves, its not too serious to address.phantasmal furyUnless it’s a direct buff, don’t touch this unless you want to die. Just kidding, but this trait is literally 1/5 of phantasms’ crit chance, why in the world would we want to delete that (unless more reworks to phantasms is warranted :trollface:)?

we already have 3 traits in deparate traitlines for phantasm damage: empowered illusions (domi), phantasmal fury (dueling), phantasmal force (illusions).Unlike basic +dmg% traits, you’d need to resubstiute it’s functionality elsewhere since it turns phantasms from RNG dmg luck to reliable crit machines. It’s currently impossible to reach 100% crit chance on phantasms unless running full assassins Danger Time, in which I believe that trait is flawed since PvE dps chronos do like absolutely nothing to provide that slow. They’re all in appropriate spots since ez crit increasing traits can be randomly found in the ‘condi dmg’ traitline on some classes (Radiance, Firearms, Curses at the top of my head) and dmg increasing traits can be spread randomly across multiple trait lines (see Ele - Fire, Air, Arcane... even Water has one and Earth, but it’s pretty bad in comparison).

Unless you mean to say, ‘thematically, Domi should increase dmg from the actual mesmer, and Illu should increase effectiveness of illusions,’ then I’d agree to some extent, otherwise please don’t mess around with my PvE stuff without asking nicely first :smile: it’s why this mes forum exists.

Edit: whilst I’m still here, I can point out that the middle trait choices in Insp (sorry going back there again) currently don’t have a group supportive trait; I have sights set upon Protected Phantasms but would like to see whether people think the same first.

sorry to butt in but i got a question for you, if this is true for mes does that mean for Chrono assassin's gear is more desired for PvE for that crit chance and increased crit dmg over the other choices? just curious

@Flandre.2870 said:it won't come back, no useful damage or utility can exist on this class besides infinite horizonembrace 25 nerf patches in a row without touching the only single problematic skill on this classnow the entire class depends on one r kitten traitClones and mesmer do too much damage with IH - IH left alone, mirage ambushes (w/o trait or clones) does no damage at all - everyone are happy.But the same thing was with CP, instead of nerfing sht out of this trait/deleting, they trashed all phantasms that existed, 300 iq decisions /s

@Axl.8924 said:

@Quadox.7834 said:Another thing to talk about is if ether feast should get a utility category and whether decoy, mirror images, phantasmal disenchanter and phantasmal defender should get a category.They used to have its own ‘category’ in Illu in the form of Illusionist’s Celerity (-15% CD of all illusion skills), and draws benefits from the range of traits that deal with clone/phantasms anyway. Apart from appropriate CD shaves, its not too serious to address.phantasmal furyUnless it’s a direct buff, don’t touch this unless you want to die. Just kidding, but this trait is literally 1/5 of phantasms’ crit chance, why in the world would we want to delete that (unless more reworks to phantasms is warranted :trollface:)?

we already have 3 traits in deparate traitlines for phantasm damage: empowered illusions (domi), phantasmal fury (dueling), phantasmal force (illusions).Unlike basic +dmg% traits, you’d need to resubstiute it’s functionality elsewhere since it turns phantasms from RNG dmg luck to reliable crit machines. It’s currently impossible to reach 100% crit chance on phantasms unless running full assassins Danger Time, in which I believe that trait is flawed since PvE dps chronos do like absolutely nothing to provide that slow. They’re all in appropriate spots since ez crit increasing traits can be randomly found in the ‘condi dmg’ traitline on some classes (Radiance, Firearms, Curses at the top of my head) and dmg increasing traits can be spread randomly across multiple trait lines (see Ele - Fire, Air, Arcane... even Water has one and Earth, but it’s pretty bad in comparison).

Unless you mean to say, ‘thematically, Domi should increase dmg from the actual mesmer, and Illu should increase effectiveness of illusions,’ then I’d agree to some extent, otherwise please don’t mess around with my PvE stuff without asking nicely first :smile: it’s why this mes forum exists.

Edit: whilst I’m still here, I can point out that the middle trait choices in Insp (sorry going back there again) currently don’t have a group supportive trait; I have sights set upon Protected Phantasms but would like to see whether people think the same first.

sorry to butt in but i got a question for you, if this is true for mes does that mean for Chrono assassin's gear is more desired for PvE for that crit chance and increased crit dmg over the other choices? just curious

Is it more desired for who exactly? Is it more desired for you?

Objectively, to reach the crit cap on phantasms, you would need to reach 80% base crit chance before fury. Zerker gear gets you to ~50%. So there's a ~30% or ~630 precision gap we have to fill.

• Keep in mind straight up % increases do not apply to phantasms. Only stat increases work. (e.g. sigil of accuracy will not work)
  • Food, banners and spotter give a total 270 precision, leaving us with ~360 (~17%) left.
  • Danger Time is helpful in covering this massive gap, leaving ~2% left, but good slow uptime rarely exists outside of coordinated raids. The entire mesmer profession has no other crit chance/precision increasing trait/skill. We are stuck with either ~2% or ~17% crit chance still to cover.
  • Why not use thief runes like warrior? As mentioned above, % increases do not work on phantasms. 225 ferocity (+15% crit dmg) is better than a 10% flank bonus won't even apply to 40% of your dmg in the first place (and more importantly, it doesn't apply to your burst).
  • Therefore assassins gear is required either way to reach 100% crit chance on phantasms, ranging from switching maybe only ~2 pieces to assassins (slow available) to leaving only ~2 pieces as zerkers (slow unavailable).

Of course no one's forcing you to reach the crit cap. I personally run only 60% (out of the ~67% required) because I mainly do fracs and benefit from the frac pot conversion; however, druids (spotter) and banner warriors have fallen out of the fractal meta, meaning I personally may need to substitute for another 200 precision.