Please make back items with a matching glider that is dyable also be dyable?

HaniJani.2105

@HaniJani.2105 said:There might already be a thread like this around, but I would like to raise this point to daylight again. It is such a trivial thing, but would make a huge difference for a lot of people, I would imagine. Makes no sense the way it is now from an aesthetic point of view.

So recoding every backpack item in the game is such trivial thing now do tell me more. ( not to mention people with white black gold etc wings. )

@Linken.6345 said:

@HaniJani.2105 said:There might already be a thread like this around, but I would like to raise this point to daylight again. It is such a trivial thing, but would make a huge difference for a lot of people, I would imagine. Makes no sense the way it is now from an aesthetic point of view.

So recoding every backpack item in the game is such trivial thing now do tell me more. ( not to mention people with white black gold etc wings. )I said ones that have gliders that are already dyeable, black, gold wings etc. would stay the same, I do not know how their dye system works, but as the glider can be already dyed, I would imagine there would be some data that would be applicable to the back item itself.

@"Randulf.7614" said:https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dye-backpacks-Shining-Blade-back-issue/page/1#post6257985

Said poster (is/was a dev) elaborates further down the thread.

thanks for the link.

To add, do you (or anyone here) think it's a worthwhile expansion feature?In my opinion, yes, but I can see some people would argue the cost of other content.I'd rather have dyable backpacks, than player house something like that

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:

Said poster (is/was a dev) elaborates further down the thread.

thanks for the link.

To add, do you (or anyone here) think it's a worthwhile expansion feature?In my opinion, yes, but I can see some people would argue the cost of other content.I'd rather have dyable backpacks, than player house something like that

Prob not because another dev it would require an extremely large patch too. It's just one of those things which isn't important enough to sacrifrice so much time and space over

Given their reluctance to do expacs and continue with free, live updates - this seems like something they wont do given the scale of things they want to do or players want them to do

While I understand its not an easy task and its written in legacy code. I think its due time to actually look at this. Sure its a QoL ask but it is something everyone would use in some way shape or form. Players are always quick to defend the "its to hard they said so" defense is really lame and past played out. Just because something may be hard does not mean its not worth doing. It is something that they could slowly roll out just like adding novelty items to the wardrobe storage. I would trade the novelty storage for the ability to dye my back piece. Why wouldn't you want to update your code to something that's not legacy...

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:To which I've already gave the suggestion they should them upload a few precoded colours.The destroyer wings for example should at least also be available in normal fire colours

It would be nice if they were to make backpacks come in more colours.

^This some of the back packs could just easily be recolored and offered as skin via a vendor in LA for say uni dyes or something. This way packs like Black wings and white wings couldn't be abused with dyeing. Leaving certain packs with their uniqueness.

@Excursion.9752 said:Just because something may be hard does not mean its not worth doing. It is something that they could slowly roll out just like adding novelty items to the wardrobe storage. I would trade the novelty storage for the ability to dye my back piece.

Because updating code that's baked into the very core of the game is not (in their opinion) worth doing. That means that the cost is too high relative to the possible benefit for ArenaNet, in the opinion of the only people who matter for deciding what to work on: ArenaNet.

Why wouldn't you want to update your code to something that's not legacy...

Because as legacy code, it works, and as updated code, it will have bugs, and therefore does not work.

Disclaimer. I have been a professional programmer for over thirty years. I have colleagues younger than my career. I know something about the tradeoffs involved in programming.

Who cares if it requires a lot of coding to fix. This is a huge oversight, to not have way more cosmetic options on a game, where the endgame completely revolves around cosmetics and fashion. I mean.... who decided that not putting options like this from the start was a good idea? Then they compounded the problem by building more code ontop of it so it cant be changed in the future....Wow.

@"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:Who cares if it requires a lot of coding to fix.

The people who are responsible for deciding what to fix or add when, that's who. It's their job to care about that. And in the end, it's a small oversight. It is an oversight, but it's not huge.

Disclaimer: I say that as someone who was disappointed about the inability to match the dyed colour of the Scaled Dragon Wings backpack and glider.

I mention that just in case you think I'm being cold and uncaring and all "so what if you want that" about the whole thing. See my other post: knowing about the reasons for this kind of decision has been part of my job for thirty years.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:Who cares if it requires a lot of coding to fix.

The people who are responsible for deciding what to fix or add when, that's who. It's their
job
to care about that. And in the end, it's a small oversight. It
is
an oversight, but it's not
huge

Disclaimer: I say that as someone who was disappointed about the inability to match the dyed colour of the Scaled Dragon Wings backpack and glider.

I mention that just in case you think I'm being cold and uncaring and all "so what if you want that" about the whole thing. See my other post: knowing about the reasons for this kind of decision has been part of my job for thirty years.

Oh well I barely play the game anymore because of stuff like this, so I guess in regards to me, it was a huge oversight.

Have you seen the amount of customization on wow or ff14 lately lol? Yah good call on a game which is all about fashion and not power creep.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Excursion.9752" said:Just because something may be hard does not mean its not worth doing. It is something that they could slowly roll out just like adding novelty items to the wardrobe storage. I would trade the novelty storage for the ability to dye my back piece.

Because updating code that's baked into the very core of the game is
not
(in their opinion) worth doing. That means that the cost is too high relative to the possible benefit
for ArenaNet
, in the opinion of the only people who matter for deciding what to work on: ArenaNet.

Because as legacy code, it
works
, and as updated code, it will have bugs, and therefore
does not work

Disclaimer. I have been a professional programmer for over thirty years.
I have colleagues younger than my career.
I know something about the tradeoffs involved in programming.I to am a programmer for over 17 years. I know its not 35 years but I have some background and frame of reference for what it takes to make what seems to be impossible changes. Here is how it works for me If I give only certain parts of a program the ability to do do something such as "apply a skin" but only limit it to certain areas guess what my clients do? They ask me to create the same capabilities to all the other areas where it can be applied. They do not care about the reasons why or what it will take for me to make said change. If I say something is to hard they will simply say well then I will find someone else who can and will be willing to do it.

Saying that something simply will not work because its updated just implies that everything new is bugged including the new update that we are about to get next week. So why have any updates? While there is some truth to that but that is what patching is for. To simply not update your "core" because there may be bugs tells me that there is something fundamentally wrong that needs looked at anyhow. The game as a whole may benefit from it as well. who knows?

Anet should have never gave us the ability to dye our gliders if they didn't want these types of questions to come to surface. They must have seen this coming. To me its one of those little things that the Devs think that do not matter when in fact its like pimple on a otherwise flawless face. Pretty much everyone has thought to themselves at one time or another, "I wish I could dye my back piece". The bottom line is no one really cares what any update costs or how it effects the companies bottom line. They just simply want to be able to customize all aspects of their character.

This is something that should have been thought of before the release of the wardrobe system. I know they looked at it and decided to go on without it. Maybe even they thought that they would come back and fix it later. But I will tell you nothing looks more cheesy than a person running up to the cliff with their Green Vine - Touched Destroyer Wings jumping off the edge and them flying out and turning purple...

I respect all the hard work that is put into this game but this is one of the most irritating things for me. I wish is was fixed and I am tired of the to hard excuse. I don't get to throw that card in my office I will tell you that right now.

@Excursion.9752 said:

@Excursion.9752 said:Just because something may be hard does not mean its not worth doing. It is something that they could slowly roll out just like adding novelty items to the wardrobe storage. I would trade the novelty storage for the ability to dye my back piece.

Because updating code that's baked into the very core of the game is
not
(in their opinion) worth doing. That means that the cost is too high relative to the possible benefit
for ArenaNet
, in the opinion of the only people who matter for deciding what to work on: ArenaNet.

Because as legacy code, it
works
, and as updated code, it will have bugs, and therefore
does not work

Disclaimer. I have been a professional programmer for over thirty years.
I have colleagues younger than my career.
I know something about the tradeoffs involved in programming.I to am a programmer for over 17 years. I know its not 35 years but I have some background and frame of reference for what it takes to make what seems to be impossible changes. Here is how it works for me If I give only certain parts of a program the ability to do do something such as "apply a skin" but only limit it to certain areas guess what my clients do? They ask me to create the same capabilities to all the other areas where it can be applied. They do not care about the reasons why or what it will take for me to make said change. If I say something is to hard they will simply say well then I will find someone else who can and will be willing to do it.

Saying that something simply will not work because its updated just implies that everything new is bugged including the new update that we are about to get next week. So why have any updates? While there is some truth to that but that is what patching is for. To simply not update your "core" because there may be bugs tells me that there is something fundamentally wrong that needs looked at anyhow. The game as a whole may benefit from it as well. who knows?

Anet should have never gave us the ability to dye our gliders if they didn't want these types of questions to come to surface. They must have seen this coming. To me its one of those little things that the Devs think that do not matter when in fact its like pimple on a otherwise flawless face. Pretty much everyone has thought to themselves at one time or another, "I wish I could dye my back piece". The bottom line is no one really cares what any update costs or how it effects the companies bottom line. They just simply want to be able to customize all aspects of their character.

This is something that should have been thought of before the release of the wardrobe system. I know they looked at it and decided to go on without it. Maybe even they thought that they would come back and fix it later. But I will tell you nothing looks more cheesy than a person running up to the cliff with their Green Vine - Touched Destroyer Wings jumping off the edge and them flying out and turning purple...

I respect all the hard work that is put into this game but this is one of the most irritating things for me. I wish is was fixed and I am tired of the to hard excuse. I don't get to throw that card in my office I will tell you that right now.

Given the choice of not being able to dye either backpacks and gliders and being able to dye only glider and not back packs, I'd def go for the latter. Sure questions and requests will rise, but it's still better than having no dye options for both.

For reference, I believe they decided against back during the original development. I'd have to take time to find the quote details, but I believe a decision was made not to add dye channels to the other items in game. It could have been due to time constraints given how rushed the launch ended up being, but once that decision was made - for whatever reason - there was no turning back

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:Who cares if it requires a lot of coding to fix.Many of us would prefer the efforts and resources be spent on new content rather than fixing something like this. {shrug}This could be said about anything being added/updated in the game. Just ask any Hard Core WvW if they want to see the Devs spending their time on another living world update. Everyone has different wants and needs but I think in general everyone would be overwhelmingly happy to be able to dye their back pieces. This kind of update would transcend all game modes and impact everyone. It would be a true QoL update.

Well, I disagree but that's what the forums are for: discussion. With all of the work that it seems that Anet has already said that it would take to re-code things for dying backpacks, I just don't see it worth the amount of effort when that could be spent on other content. I think in general everyone would be overwhelmingly happy to have new content.

@Excursion.9752 said:This could be said about anything being added/updated in the game. Just ask any Hard Core WvW if they want to see the Devs spending their time on another living world update. Everyone has different wants and needs but I think in general everyone would be overwhelmingly happy to be able to dye their back pieces. This kind of update would transcend all game modes and impact everyone. It would be a true QoL update.

In general? Maybe. Overwhelmingly? I'm not so sure. Specifically me? It'd be kind of nice but since my usual treatment of backpacks is to make them invisible, or find the smallest possible ones that don't clip with or hide my armor details, it's certainly not worth giving up on other QoL matters. For example, I have a burning need for them to make unlocked account/character bound consumable skins convertible to transmutation charges. Not everyone has a big collection of those waiting for just the right alt to don the skin, but the gem value of that many transmute charges makes me incredibly reluctant to just trash the skins for bank room. I would be overwhelmingly happy if they did that. And I'm pretty sure a lot of players would gripe and grouse that they'd wasted time on that fix, though hopefully it would be a pretty simple thing, especially compared to re-arting and re-coding every back piece in the game.