Primers, Ascended Foods, and Writs

Chichimec.9364

Currently I'm working through the Heart of Thorns story for the first time. As part of gearing up, I took both a metabolic and a utility primer - the 12 hour versions - then some ascended food and a writ. At first it all worked just fine. Just now, after finishing the Roots of Terror chapter I realized that the ascended food and writ buffs had disappeared. The primers were still there and had more than 9 hours left on them but the food and the writ had just vanished. Is this expected behavior or a bug that needs to be reported?

@Chichimec.9364 said:Currently I'm working through the Heart of Thorns story for the first time. As part of gearing up, I took both a metabolic and a utility primer - the 12 hour versions - then some ascended food and a writ. At first it all worked just fine. Just now, after finishing the Roots of Terror chapter I realized that the ascended food and writ buffs had disappeared. The primers were still there and had more than 9 hours left on them but the food and the writ had just vanished. Is this expected behavior or a bug that needs to be reported?

Yes it seems like that is the case, was another poster a day or two ago that lost their utility with 8h left on primer.

@"Linken.6345" said:Yes it seems like that is the case, was another poster a day or two ago that lost their utility with 8h left on primer.I saw that post about the "Diminished Effect" but wasn't sure if it was the same thing or not. If I got that notice I didn't see it in the flurry of chak killing I was doing. What I'm really asking, I guess, is if there was something about using ascended foods that I missed or if this was just a bug. This may or may not be a related glitch but at the end of that chapter I was going for the chak killer achievements but the eligibility for that also disappeared from my status bar (or whatever that bar is called). I didn't notice when the consumable buffs or the achievement eligibility disappeared so I don't know if that happened at the same time. Maybe it was a glitch in the chapter rather than something related to ascended food? I dunno...

@Chichimec.9364 said:Currently I'm working through the Heart of Thorns story for the first time. As part of gearing up, I took both a metabolic and a utility primer - the 12 hour versions - then some ascended food and a writ. At first it all worked just fine. Just now, after finishing the Roots of Terror chapter I realized that the ascended food and writ buffs had disappeared. The primers were still there and had more than 9 hours left on them but the food and the writ had just vanished. Is this expected behavior or a bug that needs to be reported?

If I remember correctly you need to use the primer before consuming any source of nourishment or enhancement.

@Virtuality.8351 said:If I remember correctly you need to use the primer before consuming any source of nourishment or enhancement.@Chichimec.9364 said:...As part of gearing up, I took both a metabolic and a utility primer...then some ascended food and a writ. At first it all worked just fine...Ah Virtuality, I appreciate you trying to help clear up the confusion but I did use the primer first. I've made that exact mistake in the past and learned the hard way to be careful about it as I hate wasting 12 hour primers. I am going to wait a bit to make sure I haven't missed something somewhere about primers and ascended foods. If nothing turns up, I will go ahead and file a bug report.

@Virtuality.8351 said:

If I remember correctly you need to use the primer
before
consuming any source of nourishment or enhancement.

Yea ascended food dont last for 3 hours without primers.

Just redid the Roots of Terror chapter. This time I started in downtown Amnoon, making sure to take the ascended food and writ there before jumping to my guild hall and then on to Tangled Depths to start the story. This time the food and writ stayed in place throughout the instance and after I left the instance too. I'll be progressing in the story today and will keep a close eye on the food/writ to note when, if ever, they vanish again. Again, I don't think I took the consumables inside an instance but I'll make sure not to do that in the future.

As to the Chak Killer achievement, it looks like that was my bad. It seems you have to run through the chapter once before you are eligible for the achievements. This time the eligibility marker was in place and stayed there till I got the Chak Killer - Master achievement.