Who should jump into mid node?

Heng Rai.4826

I am just wondering which class should really hop into the mid circle in the beginning of a match?

I find myself very often running ahead of everyone in the beginning of a match (I hope it’s not because everyone else was scared to fight). Then of course I get all the attention from the enemy team and always have to run around and try to shake them off. Sometimes even when I have 2 players chasing after me, I can still find my whole team lose the mid fight.

Maybe I am just playing my role wrong (I am currently playing weaver) but this pretty much happen when I play any classes I have (war/necro/thief)

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Weaver is not a teamfighter (if you have the proper build), you shouldn't really pressure mid let alone going in first. Check what the other team has, and decide if you are confident enough to pressure far. Otherwise just go close (unless your team has a worse teamfighter than you [mesmer], then go mid or far). Warrior plays similarly to a weaver, though rampage on a teamfight is very strong. 1 close 3 mid 1 far usually counters 1 close 4 mid.

For necro, go mid. Nobody should go rush ON mid node in any map, when both teams initially get face to face. Then it depends on what classes teams have.

There is a popular belief that thief should go close at start. However, if a thief on close gets any kind of pressure on herself, she would just die or disengage, either way close would be lost.Against 1-4: Either go far to pressure (only if the enemy sent mesmer on their close) or go mid until their close capper rotates somewhere else.Against 1-3-1: I don't have the rotational knowledge to explain what a thief should do against this opening.

Hope it's easy to understand!

That's a good question, OP. Too often I find myself alone on the mid node despite setting up some defense, area control and supportive AoEs (as different professions). It's sad to see your engage go to waste time after time.I don't think much can be changed, though. It's generally considered common knowledge that you "shouldn't die" above all else, therefore players are reluctant to really commit to a fight.

I have reasons to believe the answer is either no one should (normally the teams I'm in wait for the enemies to show themselves before engaging) or that we should look at the question the opposite way: who shouldn't jump into mid node?

• Well, if you're the DPSr you will be the focused target (as well as your support). You don't really wanna drag that much attention at the beginning of the game since you'll probably just get bursted, as you're badly positioned, and die. So no to that one.
  • The support on the other hand probably won't get bursted in a sec (hopefully), but you as a support don't really wanna spend your skills to survive, but rather let your DPSr deal as much damage as one can before dying (probably killing everyone in the process). The support is often the most important target in the fight as well, or second most. So probably no to that one.
  • Duelists shouldn't go mid at the very beginning of the match (assuming you only have 1 or 2 of them, and they're split home/far), cuz their strong "assets" aren't useful for winning 4-5 man fights, but rather 1v1's or 1v2's. On the other hand, maybe some duelist classes survive early pressure (such as mirage, weaver or holo) since they often have tons of survivability for themselves. Its common to see some duelists going mid at the beginning, its not bad if they know what they're doing there. So maybe that one?
  • Well, the only role left is the roamer (mostly thief and rev ?), but they hardly have survivability, only high mobility, and they actually play like a +1, so they don't initiate fights, only skew them towards their team's advantage, mostly. I'd say a huge no to this one.

Conclusion: it might change between games, but i'd say the best is someone who can "not die" when jumped, can disengage super well, heal up then reengage onto the enemy team. Why? cuz dying early leaves your team in a huge disadvantage in numbers on the map and can cause the enemy team to snowball super hard right at the beginning of the game, so that you don't want someone to just tank up the damage and leave the fight nor someone to tank the damage and die to it. That balance between tanking and reengaging is probably the best because it leaves the opposing team out of position to fight, and sometimes even spreads their numbers if some of them chases while the "bait" disengages. Also, that initiator person shouldn't push onto the enemy team, as it will force his own team to chase after him, leaving them out of position (unless for some reason said person has enough damage to 1-shot someone on the opposing team and heavily outnumbers the enemy on that fight, i guess?).

Pvp in this game isn't as theorized as in other games, sadly, so the meta is super known to pretty much the whole player base.

@Tayga.3192 said:Weaver is not a teamfighter (if you have the proper build), you shouldn't really pressure mid let alone going in first. Check what the other team has, and decide if you are confident enough to pressure far. Otherwise just go close (unless your team has a worse teamfighter than you [mesmer], then go mid or far). Warrior plays similarly to a weaver, though rampage on a teamfight is very strong. 1 close 3 mid 1 far usually counters 1 close 4 mid.

For necro, go mid. Nobody should go rush ON mid node in any map, when both teams initially get face to face. Then it depends on what classes teams have.

There is a popular belief that thief should go close at start. However, if a thief on close gets any kind of pressure on herself, she would just die or disengage, either way close would be lost.Against 1-4: Either go far to pressure (only if the enemy sent mesmer on their close) or go mid until their close capper rotates somewhere else.Against 1-3-1: I don't have the rotational knowledge to explain what a thief should do against this opening.

Hope it's easy to understand!

Against 1-3-1 : Spike mid, if you make a down instantly, the guy on far will probably stay to def so you can +1 close and leave them 3v2 mid.If you don't make a down you can go decap far hoping that nobody follows you and then it'll depend on how close went, how mid went and so on..Obviously it depends on how the fights goes but these are the most common opening scenarios.

The short answer: No one.

The word "jump" is what's grinding my gears here. Confining yourself recklessly to standing on node usually just gets you killed. Usually the team that scores the first kill also wins the mid node. My advice would be to ignore the node until you have your team get the first kill. You can maybe get on node for a few moments to keep it neutral but don't prioritize it. Winning the fight wins you the node.

@Kamskill.9457 said:Against 1-3-1 : Spike mid, if you make a down instantly, the guy on far will probably stay to def so you can +1 close and leave them 3v2 mid.If you don't make a down you can go decap far hoping that nobody follows you and then it'll depend on how close went, how mid went and so on..Obviously it depends on how the fights goes but these are the most common opening scenarios.

Thank you, this really helps.

Often I jump in first while my teammates are positioning. They're right behind me though, i'm not like 1200 units away from them. And not without keeping an eye on enemy's position. But I know what to expect so I stay ready for anything that comes at me. Sometimes there's lag between keyboard and chair though. But if I can get enemy's attention on me, that leaves more room for my teammates to counterburst the target.

@Yannir.4132 said:My advice would be to ignore the node until you have your team get the first kill. You can maybe get on node for a few moments to keep it neutral but don't prioritize it. Winning the fight wins you the node.

I think this a great piece advice and not something I really thought specifically about before. I know with my warrior I've been running into the node, but on my Ranger I typically first cast Barrage on their side of the node, then look to spike a target, then if we get a down jump in with GS or if not rotate off. It's obvious to me now why likely I've had more success with my Ranger...

@raistlinx.4906 said:I know with my warrior I've been running into the node, but on my Ranger I typically first cast Barrage on their side of the node, then look to spike a target, then if we get a down jump in with GS or if not rotate off. It's obvious to me now why likely I've had more success with my Ranger...

Either that, or it's just the community's general mindset.As I argued earlier, even with a great engage from your warrior you're more likely to lose because four other players on your team believe it's best they stay away from the node, so they choose not to follow you.

No one.

If i had to pick a player from a meta comp standpoint then i'll say Power Mirage. Conquest is ALL about Timing, setting up and Preparing yourself/team for strong 5vs5 in your favor. Running Ahead and getting jumped by 2-4 players at Mid is a horrible idea because you'll be blowing your cds within Seconds OR worse case dying in seconds.

If your on a "bunker" spec I wouldn't even be at mid to begin with because you are better suited for duels on a node where you can hold more value for your team.

Theirs so many ways to go about it but ya it's never good to go balls to the wall deep unless u find someone really out of position and by them self.