Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client - Page 17 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Comments

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Druitt.7629 said:
    Run GW2 in Catalina and the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then the Finder comes back and all GUI apps that were running are no longer running. They all got killed off with no error messages or anything to indicate what happened. My guess is it screws up Metal so badly that everything using Metal is trashed.

The fact that other apps die is Apple's fault. But I expect more from ANet as well.

The main app package is 64 bit so Catalina considers it ok. Then it encounters a call to some 32 bit code and it seems catalina does not know what to do.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• sunrun.4521sunrun.4521 Member ✭✭

Anyone want to start taking bets about whether this gets fixed for the release of Catalina? B)

I'm going to guess it doesn't and we're all going to be screwed.

@sunrun.4521 said:
    Anyone want to start taking bets about whether this gets fixed for the release of Catalina? B)

I'm going to guess it doesn't and we're all going to be screwed.

We will have a MUCH better idea on the 30th as that is their big event. This is a big enough update to mention.

If it does not get updated I know what the windows people will say: 1) gamers use windows (not all gamers obviously) and 2) 'just do not upgrade' (like THAT is a good long-term plan). Remember we are the ones that know about the problem too, a lot of people will just do the upgrade and assume things will work (or actually buy a mac that has catalina on it).

Odd, I mentioned this issue in the main forum official thread for the aug 30 announcement and they closed their own thread without comment. No email to me about it so maybe it was a coincidence but strange they would close their own hype thread right after the mac issue was mentioned.

• @Menadena.7482 said:
    Odd, I mentioned this issue in the main forum official thread for the aug 30 announcement and they closed their own thread without comment. No email to me about it so maybe it was a coincidence but strange they would close their own hype thread right after the mac issue was mentioned.

I did not see the August 30 announcement information nor related forum tread, unfortunately.
    What was it all about?

• I don't think they will let their investment into making the Mac client go waste. But they really need to communicate more. I am hoping that GW2 will be playable on my Mac after MacOS Catalina release. I have no intention of messing around with Windows. GW2 under WINE is slow.

edited August 13, 2019

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

I did not see the August 30 announcement information nor related forum tread, unfortunately.
    What was it all about?

On the main forum they opened a thread for some event they will hold on the 30th. Of course it was so vague nobody knew what it was about, just that they were collecting questions and talking about the event.

edit: Here is my post, just go to the start of page 1 to see what they asked. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83087/join-us-for-a-special-live-event-on-august-30#latest

@papsu.6094 said:
    I don't think they will let their investment into making the Mac client go waste. But they really need to communicate more. I am hoping that GW2 will be playable on my Mac after MacOS Catalina release. I have no intention of messing around with Windows. GW2 under WINE is slow.

My thoughts exactly! They put a lot of work into the new client. Even if the solution is we have to use the store in a browser. Or even not at all while a better solution is devised, I am guessing most people could log in to a windows box and conduct a quick transaction and anet would suffer the most from people not in the store all the time.

• @Menadena.7482 said:

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

What was it all about?

On the main forum they opened a thread for some event they will hold on the 30th. Of course it was so vague nobody knew what it was about, just that they were collecting questions and talking about the event.

edit: Here is my post, just go to the start of page 1 to see what they asked. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83087/join-us-for-a-special-live-event-on-august-30#latest

Thanks Menadena!

I REALLY hope Anet is listening, and ready to deliver some forward-looking information about the Mac client during this 8/30 announcement event.
    I will be checking it out.

• BTW, I know this is somewhat off-topic, but has anyone tried playing GW2 on virtual machines like Parallels?
    I just read somewhere that the latest Parallels is moving to Metal, and was a bit curious.

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

What was it all about?

Thanks Menadena!

I REALLY hope Anet is listening, and ready to deliver some forward-looking information about the Mac client during this 8/30 announcement event.
    I will be checking it out.

Me too! Companies are already starting to announce their Catalina versions of various products so for anet not to say anything after they put out a new client is certainly odd. Even if everyone does not upgrade they will be forced into it when they buy a new computer.

edited August 13, 2019

@DrMORO.4627 said:
    BTW, I know this is somewhat off-topic, but has anyone tried playing GW2 on virtual machines like Parallels?
    I just read somewhere that the latest Parallels is moving to Metal, and was a bit curious.

I have a win10 machine using parallels 12. Usable but slow with everyone in default avatars. Parallels 15 just came out (edit: well, announced, usually they make it available to order before the software is ready to download) so I will play around with that, including seeing if a mac VM is better (it should be).

Can someone check the client that has Catalina? They just pushed a new update and when I was spelunking around one of the files touched was CoherentUI_host ..... hoping ...

• @Menadena.7482 said:
    Can someone check the client that has Catalina? They just pushed a new update and when I was spelunking around one of the files touched was CoherentUI_host ..... hoping ...

It's still not working with Mac OS X Catalina, opening Guild Wars 2 just causes it and any other open Application to crash.
    Guess I will have to rollback to Mojave so I can play on my MacBook :/

@Joe.1839 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

It's still not working with Mac OS X Catalina, opening Guild Wars 2 just causes it and any other open Application to crash.
    Guess I will have to rollback to Mojave so I can play on my MacBook :/

Thanks. It looks like I will have to go with my plan of temporarily keeping some devices on Mojave while I investigate if a virtual machine is a workable option. I wish they would at least say something, at the moment we do not even know if they are aware of the looming issue.

Ironic their 64 bit client would be taken down when 32 bit went away.

• Macbook Pro 13inch 2017, 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB ram, Intel Irish Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB.
    OS. 10.14.6

I dunno why, but i get 12-20 fps no matter the settings. The client works awful for me. Anyone with similar specs experiencing this?
    I used to be able to at least play and enjoy the game, but this is just awful, i don't know what they are doing but it's frustrating. If anyone has similar experience or any kind of advice on this please share.

@Hafies.3689 said:
    Macbook Pro 13inch 2017, 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB ram, Intel Irish Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB.
    OS. 10.14.6

I dunno why, but i get 12-20 fps no matter the settings. The client works awful for me. Anyone with similar specs experiencing this?
    I used to be able to at least play and enjoy the game, but this is just awful, i don't know what they are doing but it's frustrating. If anyone has similar experience or any kind of advice on this please share.

Those specs are pretty low for any game unfortunately. The killer is that you are using integrated graphics but an i5 with 8 ig does not help. Try running in a window and turning down any graphics setting you can. If you can afford it I would recommend an external GPU as you can get one for much cheeper than the one apple sells, but try a window and lowering graphics options first.

• anet made a lazy port, the FPS and loading times of the map are unacceptable.

I'm redownloading the whole client to see if it helps performance.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Hafies.3689 said:
    Macbook Pro 13inch 2017, 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB ram, Intel Irish Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB.
    OS. 10.14.6

Those specs are pretty low for any game unfortunately. The killer is that you are using integrated graphics but an i5 with 8 ig does not help. Try running in a window and turning down any graphics setting you can. If you can afford it I would recommend an external GPU as you can get one for much cheeper than the one apple sells, but try a window and lowering graphics options first.

• @Hafies.3689 said:
    OS. 10.14.6

I checked the specs on that laptop, it's not a bad CPU for the game as I can play it on on a weaker system at a mostly 30+ stable fps. Just for the record, have you tried playing at a lower resolution? Simply put, a 2560x1600 resolution is going to kill your performance on that laptop.

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    anet made a lazy port, the FPS and loading times of the map are unacceptable.

I'm redownloading the whole client to see if it helps performance.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Hafies.3689 said:
    OS. 10.14.6

Actually the port is better than it used to be: they used a stock windows wrapper for years and called it a beta client when everyone knew what it was.

Eventually the 64 bit client rolloed out and there was much rejoicing. There were a few graphical glitches but pretty good compared to what we had.

Now it seems nobody there is running the store. Their 64 bit client is tied to some 32 bit software and will not work when people start upgrading their machines. After all, why should they not as the client is supposed to be 64 bit. There is not even a sign if anet knows about this issue or not.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Hafies.3689 said:
    OS. 10.14.6

I checked the specs on that laptop, it's not a bad CPU for the game as I can play it on on a weaker system at a mostly 30+ stable fps. Just for the record, have you tried playing at a lower resolution? Simply put, a 2560x1600 resolution is going to kill your performance on that laptop.

Right, playing in a window is always a good idea. Not only are there less pixels to compute but it has the nice thing that you can be doing other stuff on your computer at the same time too.

• I tried much lower resolutions. Never tried the window tho, is that supported? I'll try that and see if it changed anything

@Hafies.3689 said:
    I tried much lower resolutions. Never tried the window tho, is that supported? I'll try that and see if it changed anything

Yes, I use a window all the time.

• @Menadena.7482 said:

@Hafies.3689 said:
    I tried much lower resolutions. Never tried the window tho, is that supported? I'll try that and see if it changed anything

Yes, I use a window all the time.

Me, too.
    (Ironically, GW2 in 'window' mode, on a Mac :P)

• Window mode makes little difference, 1-3 fps. I think the issue is with this horrid client. With the same macbook pro i was getting 30 fps fine, about a year or a year and a half ago. Now it's dropped to half. I wonder when we might see an update on the client.

edited August 24, 2019

@Hafies.3689 said:
    Window mode makes little difference, 1-3 fps. I think the issue is with this horrid client. With the same macbook pro i was getting 30 fps fine, about a year or a year and a half ago. Now it's dropped to half. I wonder when we might see an update on the client.

My Macbook Pro is getting 25 FPS in Lion's Arch right now. I have tried this client on multiple macs (edit: my 6 year old imac is getting 29 in divinity's reach). It is not the client. That computer sounds low specced to me but if you are sure it is okay then check your network connection. For example, make sure you are not gaming over wifi.

edit 2: BTW, the macbook pro FPS is on wifi as I have not unpacked my ethernet dongle from being out from a few days yet. A direct cable is better for gaming as typically wifi will drop frames and, in worse cases, even disconnect you.

@Hafies.3689 said:
    Window mode makes little difference, 1-3 fps. I think the issue is with this horrid client. With the same macbook pro i was getting 30 fps fine, about a year or a year and a half ago. Now it's dropped to half. I wonder when we might see an update on the client.

BTW, try reducing your window size and reducing graphics settings as low as they will go. That is what people on minis have to do (which also relies on an integrated GPU, which is what you have) and it became playable when they did that. I am not sure how long you have played gw2 but this client is MUCH better than the older one.

• Somehow I have the feeling that we won't see an update for the Mac client for a long time. I would be surprised if that would happen this year (if ever).

• Is it just me or has the Mac client performance slowly been getting worse with each update since the Dragon Bash release? I've been tracking my FPS in high & low-volume areas. I've also been tracking in my home instance. Performance has decreased by an average of 1-2 FPS per each major release. I've gone from 30 FPS (not best, but it worked well enough) to stutters at 9-10 FPS in high-traffic areas and 45 FPS to 33 FPS in low-volume. Only my home instance (and other instance such as guild hall) has remained steady.

Even lowering the number of actors on screen hasn't done much to help so I'm not sure where this performance drop is coming from. I thought it was a result of all the returning players but...

@schlachtsau.3670 said:
    Somehow I have the feeling that we won't see an update for the Mac client for a long time. I would be surprised if that would happen this year (if ever).

Part of their problem is the new client does not work at all in the developer betas of the new OS, in fact it crashes other things. If you look on their specs page they say people on macs SHOLD be running a 64 bit OS .... so unless someone came here they would have no reason not to upgrade. Then when things crash they will file a ticket, get uselessly sent here, and trash talk anet all over the place. As I told them in their thread about tomorrow if they do not fix the 32 bit code by the release later this year it will be a PR disaster for them.

• Hi all,
    I unfortunately have missed whatever ANet announcement made about Mac client (IF any) recently.
    Can anyone report here?
    Thanks!

• They didn't announce anything regarding the Mac client during the recent event.

With the release of macOS Catalina just a few weeks away and no response from ArenaNet in this thread since last year (... by a staff member who's no longer with them), it's looking increasingly like they've abandoned their Mac players.

I submitted a bug report but they said "we cannot comment as to if and when a fix will be implemented to any 32-bit components for the game client".

So what other games would people recommend for macs once catalina drops?

• @Menadena.7482 said:

I may log in to my ancient EVE account someday soon... Oh dear... Even more chaos...
    I wish No Man's Sky was on Mac...

• @Menadena.7482 said:

World of Warcraft? :p Not only does it use Metal but the developers actually reply with Mac-related updates on their forum, too.

@sunrun.4521 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

World of Warcraft? :p Not only does it use Metal but the developers actually reply with Mac-related updates on their forum, too.

Take away the sub fee and maybe. No, the fact that you can use ingame currency does not overset that negative.

• @Menadena.7482 said:
    Take away the sub fee and maybe.

The alternative with Guild Wars 2 on macOS Catalina is not being able to play at all, though.

• Ok, maybe a bit more time for ANet to actually do something about our beloved/dreaded(/doomed?) Mac 64-bit GW2 client?
    https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina/
    "Available in October"

OR. is this the true DEADLINE...

• @Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:
    I wanted to share an update about the issues that some of you have had with the Mac client and MacOS Catalina: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87330/mac-users-issues-with-the-current-guild-wars-2-client-under-macos-catalina/p1?new=1

Praise Joko!

I wanted to share an update about the issues that some of you have had with the Mac client and MacOS Catalina: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87330/mac-users-issues-with-the-current-guild-wars-2-client-under-macos-catalina/p1?new=1

NICE! Thank you guys <3

Finally!!!
    An update, from ANet, about the Mac client, at last!
    And this IS great news.

Praise Stéphane Lo Presti!

• Very happy for all you cutting-edge types, and hoping it will still work on my Mac Mini Yosemite Potato.

• Thank you for the update. 😃

• It would be better if we actually had a real Mac client and not just a port. My crossover port is a lot more stable than the Cider port they offer.

• Thank you arenanet that's some wonderful news :) .

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:

YAY! We were worried we might not be able to use GW2 next month. Since apple is making buying new products soon attractive (including a year of apple tv+) not having Catalina might not be a reasonable path. Good news! I can go back to speccing out my next system without worrying about what OS it will have.

@Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    Very happy for all you cutting-edge types, and hoping it will still work on my Mac Mini Yosemite Potato.

What specs do you have? You can also eke out some performance by turning everything down, running it in a window, and making the window smaller.

Can yosemite do egpus? If it can, the lack of a gpu is a problem so I would suggest getting one (Apple's is expensive, go with OWC or someplace else). My next system is the next mac mini, and if it has performance troubles an egpu is my plan to eke out some performance (my main problem is figuring out where to put the extra monitor as I would need to replace my existing one).

@Jade.4759 said:
    It would be better if we actually had a real Mac client and not just a port. My crossover port is a lot more stable than the Cider port they offer.

Do you not have the new one? The cider port went the way of the dodo a couple of years ago.

One thing I am puzzled by, it was put in 'news and announcements' then a pointer to it was later posted here. Not looking a gift horse but is this no longer the mac support thread?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.