Please Anet talk us about the Death Magic Rework

NecroSummonsMors.7816

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Death magic rework? Let's brace ourself for the worst. I can already imagine:

We've been thinking about death magic for a long time already and seen that the traitline wasn't up to work for the necromancer's defence. We've decided to make the defensive aspect of the shroud less awkward opening way for specializing in defense.

• Soul comprehension is now replaced by lich's mantle. Lich's mantle: reduce all damage by 50% while in shroud.
  • Shroud no longer naturally mitigate damage by 50%, you need to to take Death magic for that.
  • Putrid defense now reduce damage taken by 1% per different condition on the attacker.
  • Armored shroud now also grant 90 point of toughness while out of shroud.

Scarry, right? That's the worst I'm bracing myself for at the moment.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@NecroSummonsMors.7816 said:Hi Anet,Can you tell us something about the new death magic rework incoming?It would be really great to have a discussion about it so that we could actually give feedback or propose new ideas.

Where did you hear a death magic rework is comming?

They mention it on the upcoming balance changes idea thread, together with a rework to the Warrior's tactics line

@Dadnir.5038 said:Death magic rework? Let's brace ourself for the worst. I can already imagine:

We've been thinking about death magic for a long time already and seen that the traitline wasn't up to work for the necromancer's defence. We've decided to make the defensive aspect of the shroud less awkward opening way for specializing in defense.
  • Soul comprehension
    is now replaced by
    lich's mantle
    Lich's mantle:
    reduce all damage by 50% while in shroud.
  • Shroud no longer naturally mitigate damage by 50%, you need to to take Death magic for that.
  • Putrid defense
    now reduce damage taken by 1% per different condition on the attacker.
  • Armored shroud
    now also grant 90 point of toughness while out of shroud.

Tempting fate!

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@"NecroSummonsMors.7816" said:Hi Anet,Can you tell us something about the new death magic rework incoming?It would be really great to have a discussion about it so that we could actually give feedback or propose new ideas.

Where did you hear a death magic rework is comming?

It was mentioned in this thread in the top paragraph.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/86662/future-potential-wvw-centric-balance-changes-september-6th-2019/p1

including (as some of you guessed) significant changes to the warrior's Tactics line as well as the necromancer's Death Magic line, ranger sword changes and more.

@"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:Watch, they completely skip over Soul Comprehension with this rework.

If nothing, Soul Comprehension is the one thing that I hope they change lol.Personally I like the new dark defiance and its synergies with blood magic wells for lots of protections with blighters boon.Makes us rather tanky and sustainy.I still use the Divine Soldier build from time to time in WvW.Not that it helps too much when hard focused, still die easy without skills to kite but its fun to have the options and synergies to play on different builds and themes.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PS0AEd3lZwSYIsDWJe0TdtLA-zVhYBJEoQSNKzKID4E7c4CFAHCPQRQmChOlAlqAU5A-w

@Dadnir.5038 said:Death magic rework? Let's brace ourself for the worst. I can already imagine:

• Soul comprehension
    is now replaced by
    lich's mantle
    Lich's mantle:
  • Putrid defense
  • Armored shroud

If we lose the 50% damage reduction from shroud, necro could actually get something like actual active defenses like dashes, evades, blocks, invulnerability.Though, ppl also said that if shrould would become f1-f5 instead of one button, necro could get more meaningful defenses and see what we got.^^

@Arzurag.7506 said:

• Soul comprehension
    is now replaced by
    lich's mantle
    Lich's mantle:
  • Putrid defense
  • Armored shroud

If we lose the 50% damage reduction from shroud, necro could actually get something like actual active defenses like dashes, evades, blocks, invulnerability.Though, ppl also said that if shrould would become f1-f5 instead of one button, necro could get more meaningful defenses and see what we got.^^

Shroud is an active defense, it's just not as effective as stuff like evades and blocks.

@Zex Anthon.8673 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:just make unholy sanctuary a 2 sec invuln upon entering shroud and death magic is now viable.ima genius.

4s to be in line with other invulns.

Triggers the same way, but halts life force drain for the duration and all incoming damage instead restores life force.

that would be too long.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:just make unholy sanctuary a 2 sec invuln upon entering shroud and death magic is now viable.ima genius.

Triggers the same way, but halts life force drain for the duration and all incoming damage instead restores life force.

that would be too long.

Then make defiant stance, endure pain, stone signet, etc. 2s.

@Zex Anthon.8673 said:

that would be too long.

Then make defiant stance, endure pain, stone signet, etc. 2s.

those have long cd's.

The good part about a Death Magic rework is, that even if they completely screw it up and the new Death Magic is completely useless and no one in their right mind would ever run it, that just means nothing changed from how it's been since launch.

So I'm quite unconcerned about it.

I would even be okay with that. Necro has been in this awkward spot of being bad but just so viable so there aren't enough complaints for far too long, basically always.If they screw up that badly, maybe it will lead to an outcry that will bring about proper defenses for Necro, as well as competitive damage and utility with other professions.

Really, just any change for Necro is a good change at this point. No matter how good or bad.

@Asum.4960 said:The good part about a Death Magic rework is, that even if they completely screw it up and the new Death Magic is completely useless and no one in their right mind would ever run it, that just means nothing changed from how it's been since launch.

So I'm quite unconcerned about it.

I would even be okay with that. Necro has been in this awkward spot of being bad but just so viable so there aren't enough complaints for far too long, basically always.If they screw up that badly, maybe it will lead to an outcry that will bring about proper defenses for Necro, as well as competitive damage and utility with other professions.

Really, just any change for Necro is a good change at this point. No matter how good or bad.

Truthfully, outside of the fact that the changes that I list are kinda crappy, what concern me the most is that there wouldn't be any change to the minion traits. I'll never say it enough, 5 traits dedicated to minion is way to many considering that the special mechanic don't naturally summon minions. If minions were a part of the necromancer's special mechanic since launch, this amount of traits wouldn't bother me, but it's a fact that minions are a very minor part of the kit of the necromancer and that they aren't tied in any way to life force/shroud. Implicitly, I critic the fact that they will most likely not touch what need to be touched on death magic.