Is it time to return?

Zodiark.5270

Finding myself longing for something deep to sink my teeth into again.Played at launch, but stopped around level 47 after ANet, who said the game wouldn't be grindy, lied and had me grinding for hours and hours.Liked the classes, loved the story.Is the game better now?Is the community active enough for returning/might as well be new players?

@"Zodiark.5270" said:Finding myself longing for something deep to sink my teeth into again.Played at launch, but stopped around level 47 after ANet, who said the game wouldn't be grindy, lied and had me grinding for hours and hours.Liked the classes, loved the story.Is the game better now?Is the community active enough for returning/might as well be new players?

Grinding hours and hours for what? At level 47? Weird.

The community is active but...from my own personal opinion don't take that as the game being healthy, at least not content wise. As a returning player you will have a lot to do as you will be "catching up" in terms of the story and likely getting Ascended gear so you can do Fractals and other things like that, but once you get to a certain point I'm not quite sure you'll find much "depth" to it.

As for it being grindy...it was never grindy. I don't care what anyone's skewed definition of grind is, but in no way is grind "required" for anything beyond just gold for cosmetic skins or gold to gem conversion. Grind is if you play BDO and are required to spend 5+ hours a day at a specific mob location and farm through the same rotation of enemies for that 5 hours. Which I like but if that isn't something someone has experienced then I really question what people define as "grind".

There are more than enough players to support an active community, if you're willing to engage them and not be a kitten.

If you thought Guild Wars 2 at launch was a grind, its current iteration will not change your mind. The core gameplay loop is still relatively unchanged: explore regions, do quests and activities, collect loot, rinse, repeat. There are new, more interesting regions to explore and exciting new methods by which to explore them, as well as compelling new stories contained within the primary "questlines" and ambient adventuring. Combat mechanics are also relatively unchanged, though the flow and style of combat has been refined, as well as expanded through expansion content, unlocked by playing through and completing said expansion content.

Side note: You'll also find that "they lied to me!" attitude will not serve you well here.

It's a highly populated game still with a lot of content to purchase. There will always be grind of some sort in an MMO and Anet didn't say there would be no grind (people misquoted a reference out of context from 7-8 years ago and many ran with it), but at 47 you would never have seen it.

If you enjoyed the style of play GW2 presented to you, it's more refined and polished now. Not without faults, but still a very good mmo.

It's free to get back into, so no reason not to try, but I echo the above words from Trise. Don't enter with the "Anet promised this and that etc", you'll be forever picking the game apart based on mostly myths

@Zodiark.5270 said:Finding myself longing for something deep to sink my teeth into again.Played at launch, but stopped around level 47 after ANet, who said the game wouldn't be grindy, lied and had me grinding for hours and hours.Liked the classes, loved the story.Is the game better now?Is the community active enough for returning/might as well be new players?

What did you feel you had to grind? This might help answer your question.

Give the game a try if you feel like it.

I am going to agree with most other posters though:You might want to consider what type of game you are looking for. GW2 is an MMORPG. Compared to almost any other MMORPG, it has nearly no grind when it comes to leveling, getting endgame ready and acquiring skills. If this was already to much for you a few years back, it won't have changed.

What you do get now though (compared to launch) is:

• a ton of story to work through
  • a ton of world to explore
  • a ton of classes to play (with multiple different playstyles thanks to elites)
  • mounts with PoF
  • gliding with HoT
  • and tons of more stuff which was added to the game

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Zodiark.5270 said:Finding myself longing for something deep to sink my teeth into again.Played at launch, but stopped around level 47 after ANet, who said the game wouldn't be grindy, lied and had me grinding for hours and hours.Liked the classes, loved the story.Is the game better now?Is the community active enough for returning/might as well be new players?

What did you feel you had to grind? This might help answer your question.

IIRC it was the pink triangle stuff, name escapes me

I don't know how much Karma is needed at lvl 47 but when I had my 1st playthrough and hit lvl 80 in Orr I had enough karma to purchase the exotic sets from the Orr vendors. I haven't farmed karma, I did pop in events I passed by in the zones I was levelling in tho. However, for about 7 gold one can buy a full set on the trading post instead.

Is the game grindy, I would say yes. Not for gears to wear but it is grindy if you set goals that need a lot of materials (like crafting some special collection sets, upgrading a guild hall solo, legendaries, some collections like Skyscale if you did not save up map currencies from regular playing). But which MMO doesn't have this. It does not mean you have to grind 24/7 however. If you just play and go with the flow you do not have to grind and it will accumulate over time by itself. Clue of any MMO, take your time and play in your own pace and you will not run out of content and you have no grind. Rush through and you will find you lack content and need to grind.

The game is not dead and this game is good to combine with other games along (I also play Warframe (which is a real grind game) but I do play GW2 daily as it relaxes me. As for the ones saying there is no new expansion announced... Anet must have their reasons as to why they think another expansion at this moment is not a good idea (the coming living world may be an expansion for all we know but more spread out and under another name). They also said they did not throw the idea of another expansion in the bin for the future. So expansion in the future is possible, just not planned atm.

As for servers. They have a megaserver now so you will always end up in populated maps (unless you end up in a map copy that you entered as 1 of 1st). So which server you pick only matters for WvW (this has no megaserver and is server based). Region is another thing. Theres EU server and NA server .

@"unrealman.3105" said:Absolutely not. The game is dead and there is no new xpac coming. Not worth the bandwidth to install it. I suggest you play Warframe / WoW Classic or MordhauSurrre. :lol: The new Living World season starts next week, there are always events etc, WvW and PvP as well as raids and fractals are well populated - that's your definition of "dead" :grey_question:

Simply put, it's free to play (techinically buy to play, but after that it is free to play, no subscription). So you can install it with no worries (only takes like, what, an hour at most?) and check things out for yourself and see if you "feel" it again. Just letting other people tell you if they like it/hate it won't feed that feeling of you trying it yourself. Get a hands on approach and see if it still works for you. Best way to find out if it's worth coming back to or not.

If you played at launch and only got to 47, you are in for a lot of changes. Might even feel like a new game if that was the last time you played. Suggest maybe reading up on some of the things that have happened over the years while you're installing it to give you an idea of what has happened over the years.

If you want to do pvp and wvw, then no i would not recommend returning. If you just want to try out all the classes/elite specs and see the content you missed, then yes, it is a very fun game. The parts of the game that are grindy mostly involve cosmetics and ascended/legendary gear, so you can play through most casual pve content without having to invest a huge amount of time. You can jump into HoT, PoF LWS3 and 4 in any order. Some mounts and masteries are a bit grindy to unlock but you can see most of the game without them.

In terms of community, people are pretty pessimistic right now, and a lot of veteran players have quit or taken a break. New content has been lacking for a long time, and things arent looking to change too much in the future.

@Zodiark.5270 said:Played at launch, but stopped around level 47If you still have that character from launch then you'll be getting 7 years of (character) birthday gifts when you log into them again. Those will, among others, contain level scrolls to level new characters to level 20/30/40/50 (depending on gift). Try a couple of different classes, maybe the one you picked just wasn't a good fit for you, but the scrolls will give you a boost to make things a bit easier (you can still play the same story/starter areas as your level and stats will be downscaled to be appropriate to the map you are in). Or try different races, they are all pretty unique. And never ever delete your first character, as birthday gifts do give nicer goodies each year.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Surrre. :lol: The new Living World season starts next week, there are always events etc, WvW and PvP as well as raids and fractals are well populated - that's your definition of "dead" :grey_question:

Considering the recommendation of Ugh Classic, I'm gonna say the nay-sayer doesn't know what "grind" means anyway. Or "fun". Or "dead", as it's not going to get any new content and is DOA. :p