Window mode makes little difference, 1-3 fps. I think the issue is with this horrid client. With the same macbook pro i was getting 30 fps fine, about a year or a year and a half ago. Now it's dropped to half. I wonder when we might see an update on the client.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Hafies.3689 said:Window mode makes little difference, 1-3 fps. I think the issue is with this horrid client. With the same macbook pro i was getting 30 fps fine, about a year or a year and a half ago. Now it's dropped to half. I wonder when we might see an update on the client.

My Macbook Pro is getting 25 FPS in Lion's Arch right now. I have tried this client on multiple macs (edit: my 6 year old imac is getting 29 in divinity's reach). It is not the client. That computer sounds low specced to me but if you are sure it is okay then check your network connection. For example, make sure you are not gaming over wifi.

edit 2: BTW, the macbook pro FPS is on wifi as I have not unpacked my ethernet dongle from being out from a few days yet. A direct cable is better for gaming as typically wifi will drop frames and, in worse cases, even disconnect you.

@Hafies.3689 said:Window mode makes little difference, 1-3 fps. I think the issue is with this horrid client. With the same macbook pro i was getting 30 fps fine, about a year or a year and a half ago. Now it's dropped to half. I wonder when we might see an update on the client.

BTW, try reducing your window size and reducing graphics settings as low as they will go. That is what people on minis have to do (which also relies on an integrated GPU, which is what you have) and it became playable when they did that. I am not sure how long you have played gw2 but this client is MUCH better than the older one.

Is it just me or has the Mac client performance slowly been getting worse with each update since the Dragon Bash release? I've been tracking my FPS in high & low-volume areas. I've also been tracking in my home instance. Performance has decreased by an average of 1-2 FPS per each major release. I've gone from 30 FPS (not best, but it worked well enough) to stutters at 9-10 FPS in high-traffic areas and 45 FPS to 33 FPS in low-volume. Only my home instance (and other instance such as guild hall) has remained steady.

Even lowering the number of actors on screen hasn't done much to help so I'm not sure where this performance drop is coming from. I thought it was a result of all the returning players but...

@schlachtsau.3670 said:Somehow I have the feeling that we won't see an update for the Mac client for a long time. I would be surprised if that would happen this year (if ever).

Part of their problem is the new client does not work at all in the developer betas of the new OS, in fact it crashes other things. If you look on their specs page they say people on macs SHOLD be running a 64 bit OS .... so unless someone came here they would have no reason not to upgrade. Then when things crash they will file a ticket, get uselessly sent here, and trash talk anet all over the place. As I told them in their thread about tomorrow if they do not fix the 32 bit code by the release later this year it will be a PR disaster for them.

They didn't announce anything regarding the Mac client during the recent event.

With the release of macOS Catalina just a few weeks away and no response from ArenaNet in this thread since last year (... by a staff member who's no longer with them), it's looking increasingly like they've abandoned their Mac players.

I submitted a bug report but they said "we cannot comment as to if and when a fix will be implemented to any 32-bit components for the game client".

@sunrun.4521 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:So what other games would people recommend for macs once catalina drops?

World of Warcraft? :p Not only does it use Metal but the developers actually reply with Mac-related updates on their forum, too.

Take away the sub fee and maybe. No, the fact that you can use ingame currency does not overset that negative.

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:I wanted to share an update about the issues that some of you have had with the Mac client and MacOS Catalina: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87330/mac-users-issues-with-the-current-guild-wars-2-client-under-macos-catalina/p1?new=1

Finally!!!An update, from ANet, about the Mac client, at last!And this IS great news.

Praise Stéphane Lo Presti!

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:I wanted to share an update about the issues that some of you have had with the Mac client and MacOS Catalina: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87330/mac-users-issues-with-the-current-guild-wars-2-client-under-macos-catalina/p1?new=1

YAY! We were worried we might not be able to use GW2 next month. Since apple is making buying new products soon attractive (including a year of apple tv+) not having Catalina might not be a reasonable path. Good news! I can go back to speccing out my next system without worrying about what OS it will have.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:Very happy for all you cutting-edge types, and hoping it will still work on my Mac Mini Yosemite Potato.

What specs do you have? You can also eke out some performance by turning everything down, running it in a window, and making the window smaller.

Can yosemite do egpus? If it can, the lack of a gpu is a problem so I would suggest getting one (Apple's is expensive, go with OWC or someplace else). My next system is the next mac mini, and if it has performance troubles an egpu is my plan to eke out some performance (my main problem is figuring out where to put the extra monitor as I would need to replace my existing one).