Why elementalists are a half class?

SeikeNz.3526

Elementalists are a high damage class. And i think you are mixing up something. They have more skills than anyone else in the game due to their 4 element swapping. Having different spells on all weapons that you can toy with as you dynamically change attunements. Definitely not a half class.Staff is generally considered a weapon to use in groups. Dont stare yourself blind on it as the only choice.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:What do you mean by one less spec?

well because you are supposed to change elements in combat but all the traits specs only work if you are attuned to that element, so you are specless if you change your element, any other class can do way more dps than a elementalist since they are slow as fuck.

we can compare it to a fb as a exemple, fb has f1 f2 f3 plus weapon changing if they want, totalizing 5 set of skills+traits specs that synergy with them all, while a elementalist have only 4 but with traits that don't synergy.

then we have weavers with 2 set of element skills but the specs only work for the first element even if you are attuned to 2 elements

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

well because you are supposed to change elements in combat but all the traits specs only work if you are attuned to that element, so you are specless if you change your element, any other class can do way more dps than a elementalist since they are slow as kitten.

we can compare it to a fb as a exemple, fb has f1 f2 f3 plus weapon changing if they want, totalizing 5 set of skills+traits specs that synergy with them all, while a elementalist have only 4 but with traits that don't synergy.

then we have weavers with 2 set of element skills but the specs only work for the first element even if you are attuned to 2 elements

You should read the traits again. Not even half of them interact with the attunement mechanic, and most of those traits also have permanent boni.

Staff Elementalist is my main. (The Tempest sub-version, anyway). There are very few challenges in PvE that I have a problem with. PvP is a different story, primarily because the staff isn't a good weapon choice against targets who are smart enough to get out of my Area-of-Effect spells. But nevertheless I still get stuff done every day in World vs. World.

Combat will mostly be Fire, but I often switch up to Earth or Water in the middle of a group event if the situation calls for it. I rarely find a whole lot of use for anything under the staff Air element other than the Tempest's Overload skill (F3).

Being a "squishy" class, you definitely need to learn how to move, and dodge, and when to use your heal. But I personally LOVE having twice as many skills at my fingertips as any other class. Sure, you can't trait up for every element. But find the ones you like best and give those some support.

But PLEASE... continue to complain that the staff Elementalist is bad! Maybe ANet will buff me! (They keep nerfing my Meteor Storm, even though it takes me forever to cast, I'm a motionless target while doing so, and people can just step out of the AoE... none of which is fun. But I adapt! I'm still here!)

@lukey.8951 said:

well because you are supposed to change elements in combat but all the traits specs only work if you are attuned to that element, so you are specless if you change your element, any other class can do way more dps than a elementalist since they are slow as kitten.

You should read the traits again. Not even half of them interact with the attunement mechanic, and most of those traits also have permanent boni.

3/4 of the traits are attuned or attuning to the element, if you have water and fire specs then you need to change to water you lose half of the fire specs, if you need to change to air or earth you are specless, while others classes have it permanently

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

3/4 of the traits are attuned or attuning to the element, if you have water and fire specs then you need to change to water you lose half of the fire specs, if you need to change to air or earth you are specless, while others classes have it permanently

I think the idea is that you are supposed to swap attunements based on what the situation calls for.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

I think the idea is that you are supposed to swap attunements based on what the situation calls for.yeah.. but you lose one spec line when you do that

@SeikeNz.3526 said:yeah.. but you lose one spec line when you do that

Seriously man, you need to look closer and think about it.Yes, there are some traits that gives some benefits (or more) when you are attuned to one element. But if you look closer, those benefits are generally stronger than other professions.Let's take Empowering Flame (minor adept in fire): +150 power when attuned to fire. Can you give me another profession with such a strong bonus in minor adept ?Then, all minor master are spells cast on attunments and they are great.

Now, there is bit of contradiction between fire and air attunments (you choose either ferocity, either power) but it got improved with last patch (you now gain more benefits in fire). And unless you are using conjures, best damage skills are in fire anyway.

Last, imagine those bonus would stay all the time, it would be OP and these traits would be nerfed.Ele gameplay is driven by its attunment, it's all about attuning on the right moment.

@"Aigleborgne.2981" said:Last, imagine those bonus would stay all the time, it would be OP and these traits would be nerfed.In the original GW2 design, Elementalists were supposed to be "OP" in exchange for being the squishiest class in existence.

On the GW2 page for the Elementalist, it even says "What they lack in physical toughness, they make up for in versatility and the ability to inflict massive damage."Where is this "massive damage"? Even if all traits always were active, Elementalist would still be inferior to things like Scourge and Mirage.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Aigleborgne.2981" said:Last, imagine those bonus would stay all the time, it would be OP and these traits would be nerfed.In the original GW2 design, Elementalists were supposed to be "OP" in exchange for being the squishiest class in existence.

On the GW2 page for the Elementalist, it even says "What they lack in physical toughness, they make up for in versatility and the ability to inflict massive damage."Where is this "massive damage"? Even if all traits always were active, Elementalist would still be inferior to things like Scourge and Mirage.

It's just wrong, ele is amongst top DPS everywhere. Main problem is ratio DPS/sustain which is very low (read inferior to every others) and so, playing another profession give more reward for invested time. When I'm playing my ele, I do enjoy the hard mode feeling.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:It's just wrong, ele is amongst top DPS everywhere. Main problem is ratio DPS/sustain which is very low (read inferior to every others) and so, playing another profession give more reward for invested time. When I'm playing my ele, I do enjoy the hard mode feeling.

That applies specifically to Weaver (and on rare occasions to that Fresh Air boredom) however, not to Elementalist in general.Arenanet needs to get off their comfort zone and make elite specs what they are supposed to be: side gradesI want to have good DPS when not playing Weaver. I don't like Weaver.I don't like traits being switched on and off depending on Attunement.(Core) Elementalist was supposed to be a glass canon class.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@"SeikeNz.3526" said:yeah.. but you lose one spec line when you do that

Seriously man, you need to look closer and think about it.Yes, there are some traits that gives some benefits (or more) when you are attuned to one element. But if you look closer, those benefits are generally stronger than other professions.Let's take Empowering Flame (minor adept in fire): +150 power when attuned to fire. Can you give me another profession with such a strong bonus in minor adept ?Then, all minor master are spells cast on attunments and they are great.

Now, there is bit of contradiction between fire and air attunments (you choose either ferocity, either power) but it got improved with last patch (you now gain more benefits in fire). And unless you are using conjures, best damage skills are in fire anyway.

Last, imagine those bonus would stay all the time, it would be OP and these traits would be nerfed.Ele gameplay is driven by its attunment, it's all about attuning on the right moment.

ele gameplay is about being a half class all the time, so what's the point of having 150 power at minor adept if the skills scale at 0,1 ratio? any class can outdps a elementalist even a guardian, elementalist meteor that is supposed to be the highest dmg have random hits and low damage with a huge cast timethen if i choose fire to spec and i change to earth i lose all my specs what is the point of having "the kit"?

now we can look at other classes they just have 10% dmg/good buffs... at minor adept and this work with any skill

Ele is a 1/4 class as each atument should be only filling a 1/4 of a roll. The problem is there too much over lap with atuments and not enofe different effect for each atument for it to be so specialized. Fire and air are effectively the same atument earth is mostly non excitation as an atument and water is the most specialized.

I have to say I have no Idea what is the problem. There are almost no traits that work only in specific atunement. With only 2 atunements you have same number of skills as a ckass with weaponswap. Ele is one of the best dps options, both for single target and cleave. If there is a bad class then it is not ele in my opinion.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

@SeikeNz.3526 said:yeah.. but you lose one spec line when you do that

ele gameplay is about being a half class all the time, so what's the point of having 150 power at minor adept if the skills scale at 0,1 ratio? any class can outdps a elementalist even a guardian, elementalist meteor that is supposed to be the highest dmg have random hits and low damage with a huge cast timethen if i choose fire to spec and i change to earth i lose all my specs what is the point of having "the kit"?

now we can look at other classes they just have 10% dmg/good buffs... at minor adept and this work with any skill

https://snowcrows.com/benchmarks/Looks like ele is doing well in dps compared to the rest :D

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"ButcherofMalakir.4067" said:
Looks like ele is doing well in dps compared to the rest :D

Now if we had some that's fun to play AND effective at the same time, instead of just Weaver and stale air.

So problem isnt that there is no playable ele build but that bad ele builds are not playable.HmmmmCheck ERP2. On wing 3 one guild (think snowcrows) used core dps ele. It wasnt as good as weaver/tempest but they chose it over other dpses for ban strategy.

Thing it was staff fire,air,water or fire/arcane/water. Not sure

Edit: and in my opinion fresh air and weavers are most fun builds ele have. Others are just too.... slow with no tricks

@Fueki.4753 said:

And I dont know where you get the idea that scourge and mirage have huge damage. Mirage in certain situations but scourge never

@"ButcherofMalakir.4067" said:Also a year old video. Should be slightly weaker now but still.

that means nothing, first the ele is full buffed with all things possible plus static enemy, then he is on zerk build, im talking about real situations here, if someone go as ele full zerk he would die in 2 hits for any enemy even at trash mobs, then idk how he get so many hits from meteor, meteor do 2 hits every 3 sec for 3k dmg with crits in real situation, also enemies will move out of the range.any class fullbuffed will do the same dps plus tank at same time.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

@"ButcherofMalakir.4067" said:Also a year old video. Should be slightly weaker now but still.

that means nothing, first the ele is full buffed with all things possible plus static enemy, then he is on zerk build, im talking about real situations here, if someone go as ele full zerk he would die in 2 hits for any enemy even at trash mobs, then idk how he get so many hits from meteor, meteor do 2 hits every 3 sec for 3k dmg with crits in real situation, also enemies will move out of the range.any class fullbuffed will do the same dps plus tank at same time.

This is a real situationAnd for example scourge will get lower dps

Also I am playing full zerker everywhere and if you dont get hit, then you dont die. Everything outside raids dies before it hit me and in raids, those are standard boons you have all the time.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:Also a year old video. Should be slightly weaker now but still.

Also I am playing full zerker everywhere and if you dont get hit, then you dont die. Everything outside raids dies before it hit me and in raids, those are standard boons you have all the time.

this isn't, this is a raid situation only, any class will do that kind of dps with all those buffs and debuffs, do a video with only the elemental power then we can talk

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:Also a year old video. Should be slightly weaker now but still.

this isn't, this is a raid situation only, any class will do that kind of dps with all those buffs and debuffs, do a video with only the elemental power then we can talk

No, nscourge will do 28 max for example

Edit: also, classes are balanced around raid dps and not openworld dps. In openworld 1 or 2 skills kill every mob. I domt know what more dk you want. Ele is squishier but can kill multiple mobs with 1 skill. Usualy mobswont have time to hit you back.