Why is such a mundane event blocked behind a map meta?

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Eventually a commander tag pays for itself.

You don't even need a commander tag for this meta, since it's a relatively small map so the event markers are visible to anyone on the north island (and possibly further away) and you don't really need to keep everyone together. Also the rampaging elementals and stormcaller echoes can be beaten by a single player if they have good defence or healing, but it's very slow. (Slow enough that I've never done more than 1 solo, because other people always show up.)

If you enter a map where the meta is up but no one seems to be doing it I recommend putting an advert in LFG to attract people who want to do it, switch on a commander/mentor tag if you have one to make it clear to other people in the map someone is doing it, and then make a start yourself and updating the LFG as the meta progresses (some people might want to skip the pre-events and others might decide to jump in because it will be finishing soon and they'll miss it otherwise).

Although a commander or mentor tag can help attract people on the same map - a tag moving around in the area of the event is a pretty clear sign that people are there joining in, even if you're not able to make any actual progress.

I did that meta not too long ago. I wasn't there to do it, I can't even remember why I was on the map. But I saw that it was up, threw up my tag, yelled in map chat for people to come help out, and the meta got done. As far as metas go it doesn't really take a whole lot of people or organization. It can pretty much just be zerged with 10-15 people.

God forbid Sandswept Isles actually became a profitable map thanks to in part Cooking getting to 500. The meta does com and go regularly, its usually just one of those every other hour things. You can easily miss it if you don't wait in the map.

Achievements aren't designed to be convenient, but to actually take up your time in a lot of cases.