Sword 2 avoidance?

Psycoprophet.8107

Is there a trick to never be effected by sword 2. I just played a match against a fellow thief and could never hit him with sword 2, I'd either port just like 5 ft from him or when I port next to him there was 0 immobilize? Sw2 work as usual on all the other players in the match. I want to kno so I can avoid that next time as it was literally useless and its obviously a big part of the rotation lol. I've never experienced that issue in 4 yrs lol

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Is there a trick to never be effected by sword 2. I just played a match against a fellow thief and could never hit him with sword 2, I'd either port just like 5 ft from him or when I port next to him there was 0 immobilize? Sw2 work as usual on all the other players in the match. I want to kno so I can avoid that next time as it was literally useless and its obviously a big part of the rotation lol. I've never experienced that issue in 4 yrs lol

First off Sword#2 is easily predictable, 7/10 you can just dodge preemptively and actually make thief miss it.Secondly, the immobilize and dmg part of Sword#2 happens cca 0,25 or 0,50 sec after the port happens so if you are quick enough you can still avoid entire Sword#2 even after it's already been used, best part about that is since thief didn't land his dmg he therefore didn't get in to "combat mode" and therefore his dodge (if talking about condi with Lotus training) won't shoot any daggers, do no dmg and apply no condi, more than once did I have a great laugh when I dodged Sword#2 and just watched Thief spam 2 or even 3 dodges until he realized how much he done f*** up. (that of course assumes thief is not no combat when he attacks)

@Alatar.7364 said:

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Is there a trick to never be effected by sword 2. I just played a match against a fellow thief and could never hit him with sword 2, I'd either port just like 5 ft from him or when I port next to him there was 0 immobilize? Sw2 work as usual on all the other players in the match. I want to kno so I can avoid that next time as it was literally useless and its obviously a big part of the rotation lol. I've never experienced that issue in 4 yrs lol

First off Sword#2 is easily predictable, 7/10 you can just dodge preemptively and actually make thief miss it.Secondly, the immobilize and dmg part of Sword#2 happens cca 0,25 or 0,50 sec after the port happens so if you are quick enough you can still avoid entire Sword#2 even after it's already been used, best part about that is since thief didn't land his dmg he therefore didn't get in to "combat mode" and therefore his dodge
(if talking about condi with Lotus training)
won't shoot any daggers, do no dmg and apply no condi, more than once did I have a great laugh when I dodged Sword#2 and just watched Thief spam 2 or even 3 dodges until he realized how much he done f*** up.
(that of course assumes thief is not no combat when he attacks)

Exactly the answers I was looking for, thanks for taking the time to give me the low down. Hopefully people commenting on how s2 is op and has no counterplay reads this and see's that it's not as OP as they think and doesn't need the imobilizes taken away from it :)

Also, as a thief, you can also trait Don't Stop (Accro) or Unhindered combatant (Daredevil) to respectively reduce or automatically remove immob.

Most other professions, aside guardian, have traits specifically designed to reduce immob duration, or to remove immob on cast... And of course certain trait prevents/almost automatically remove condi when applied if you hit/get hit, such as Diamond Skin.

Of course, many other regular condi cleanse exists.

So really, when people blame immob, they just don't spec according to what could hurt them /prevent it because they don't want to compromise their "perfect build" or more largely want to preserve their precious dps.As a result, there are complains, and we collectively end up getting nerf on cool/fun to play skills and traits, and what remains are dps options which are more or less bland.

As a thief, if you don't spec against immob, then you take responsibility for when that nasty immob will happen to you. This is just the same decision as anything else: how much condi cleanse one should bring? How much sustain? Or many stun-break? ...to be relatively safe in front of current meta or builds that usually take you down.

You might loose some dps by spec'ing this way, but you'll render the immob based build useless. So the question is how often or how much of a real threat this is over an evening of pvp'ing?

You might decide to ignore condi cleanse, but then someone else in your team must be well equipped to compensate. Tho, the very nature of pug PvP means that generally, you cannot count onto that because your partners are random, so you need relatively well rounded builds on your own.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Is there a trick to never be effected by sword 2. I just played a match against a fellow thief and could never hit him with sword 2, I'd either port just like 5 ft from him or when I port next to him there was 0 immobilize? Sw2 work as usual on all the other players in the match. I want to kno so I can avoid that next time as it was literally useless and its obviously a big part of the rotation lol. I've never experienced that issue in 4 yrs lol

Yeah, I was playing last night and saw this also. The immob animation was there (chains) but he just kept on moving. I suspect that it is due to Resistance, but I can't be sure.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Is there a trick to never be effected by sword 2. I just played a match against a fellow thief and could never hit him with sword 2, I'd either port just like 5 ft from him or when I port next to him there was 0 immobilize? Sw2 work as usual on all the other players in the match. I want to kno so I can avoid that next time as it was literally useless and its obviously a big part of the rotation lol. I've never experienced that issue in 4 yrs lol

Yeah, I was playing last night and saw this also. The immob animation was there (chains) but he just kept on moving. I suspect that it is due to Resistance, but I can't be sure.

Yeah who ever he was hes a good thief for sure, usually I hold my own against other thieves but he dummied me hard a few times cuz my sword 2 tactics didnt work out for me so well lol

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Remember that application of swiftness will remove IMMOB if thief specced for it. Using #2 sword or dodging both apply swiftness in an acro build if don't stop traited.

He was a DE d/d but not perma stealth cheese, he was actually good at fighting while weaving in and out of stealth. Sucked my sw2 was useless and he cut me down hard few times but I enjoyed fighting them cuz they actually fought me instead of just trying to one shot from stealth than run to do it again, even though he was laying the beats on me lol

@babazhook.6805 said:

Remember that application of swiftness will remove IMMOB if thief specced for it. Using #2 sword or dodging both apply swiftness in an acro build if don't stop traited.

That might be it too because my immob didn't last that long.