UPDATED Ranger Greatsword Guide!

Eurantien.4632

Hey everyone,

I couple people over the last couple months asked me for a ranger greatsword guide and I was in the middle of moving and have since deleted the mails (that was an accident) so I hope you guys find this! I jotted down some ideas that I knew/remembered about GS and I tried to throw them all into 1 video. The production quality is very low and I might have missed somethings but I covered everything I could think of during my mini brainstorm. Take a look, and if you have any questions or anything, I'm always happy to help!

Also if you want like weapon combos and what not or how to play certain ranger builds, certain match ups, etc. happy to help with that too. I have a much better internet connection now so I need to up the quality of my stream, but it should make things MUCH easier now for me on the streaming front.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/480142108?t=09m43s

UPDATED EDIT:

Really the skill ceiling is much lower and the things you could do with auto evades and GS throw are now gone. Because of this, the only things to keep in mind are swoop is an evade and more importantly a leap finisher for stealth. Use your block when under pressure and then counterattack something even if its air before the skill goes on CD since it's an evade. Pretty straight forward weapon, low skill floor and low skill ceiling. Good luck out there!

GS also has 0 chase potential, so really just try to swap to it under severe pressure or when you know they have no cds left.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how I talk about how Greatsword is designed so well, mostly from GS 4 and the Evade on the auto. You have a block (that could use some QoL updating) but you have Crippling Throw that allows you to do some ranged pressure that CRIPPLES so you can stay on top of your target and maybe land a hilt bash - since hilt bash roots you and isn't fluid. Yet, they're going to take away what makes ranger Greatsword sooo amazing. Unbelievable.

@Eurantien.4632 said:I love how I talk about how Greatsword is designed so well, mostly from GS 4 and the Evade on the auto. You have a block (that could use some QoL updating) but you have Crippling Throw that allows you to do some ranged pressure that CRIPPLES so you can stay on top of your target and maybe land a hilt bash - since hilt bash roots you and isn't fluid. Yet, they're going to take away what makes ranger Greatsword sooo amazing. Unbelievable.

one would wonder if they saw your guide and changed/nerfed it because of what it is the guide

@Ashkew.6584 said:

@Eurantien.4632 said:I love how I talk about how Greatsword is designed so well, mostly from GS 4 and the Evade on the auto. You have a block (that could use some QoL updating) but you have Crippling Throw that allows you to do some ranged pressure that CRIPPLES so you can stay on top of your target and maybe land a hilt bash - since hilt bash roots you and isn't fluid. Yet, they're going to take away what makes ranger Greatsword sooo amazing. Unbelievable.

one would wonder if they saw your guide and changed/nerfed it because of what it is the guide

Good theory, but they don't act that fast.

Potential future balance changes were announced on August 21 with the only change for rangers being the Long Range Shot skill.
Future Potential WvW-centric changes were posted on September 4 and the post edited on September 6. Again the only change for rangers is the Long Range Shot skill.On September 11, 2019, Anet posted a thank you for the feedback on the changes announced over the prior three week period. Once again the only change for rangers is the Long Range Shot skill. This post was edited by Anet on September 18 and September 25, with the only change still the Long Range Shot skill.Why were the greatsword changes not announced earlier?