How important is food in WvW + your thoughts on ascended food? ?

Jade Raccoon.4285

To eat or not to eat? ??️?

Lettuce have a fun discussion regarding food...

Curious to know if anyone has utilized/taken interest in the new asc feasts in particular thanks to the introduction of 500 chef. Feel free to share your thoughts on the questions below, you may elaborate if you wish.

• Is nourishment (food) important to you in WvW? (e.g; your guild may require you to use food, you use it out of habit, don't mind etc)
  • Are you happy with asc food, generally speaking, in WvW? (e.g; slight powercreep?) ?
  • Are there any existing foods that you find need balancing/updating (toned down, viable, relevant, optional etc)? ⚖️
  • Are you happy with the introduction of the amount of asc feasts regarding WvW; would you welcome other passives (e.g; incoming stun duration, might on dodge etc)? ⚗️
  • Are you happy with the non-combat portion of buffs regarding asc feasts? (e.g; karma, XP, MF, gold, WXP etc)
  • Do you think asc feasts could be improved in any way at all? (e.g; longer timer, ground targeted placement, better visibility) ?
  • Have you found any bugs/unintended features regarding asc feasts? ?
  • In tandem with nourishment (food), would you welcome the possibility of asc enhancement (utility) feasts to the game? ?

Please keep discussion relevant & civil.

Food is not vital but can help out a bit. I think it's usually better to use some food as opposed to no food at all, as there is plenty of sub-80 food or even provisioner food that is not that much worse than level 80 but costs close to nothing.

Ascended food is fine and actually not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. I thought it'd be as stupid as sharpening stone stations. There's some relatively cheap ascended food and actually is not really that much more expensive than regular feasts. As more and more people farm seeds, I expect prices to drop more and more. It seems to cost about 50-70s; depending if you want that -10% damage versions or not. I'm not sure on the cost of extract and of course the time gating though. For some reason it seems more cost effective to simply buy the cultivated seed instead of planting it yourself (??)

Personally I think ascended food should last 2 hours though, even if it were made to be more pricey.

Also this died lol, if you're looking for something cheaper: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Red_Lentil_and_Flatbread_Feast

@ArchonWing.9480 I too, am quite surprised at the relatively low-cost that asc food is currently sitting at; wouldn't doubt as you stated the more players farming seeds it will further drop in price. Yes, I am aware certain food prices took a hit; the initial excitement of re-balancing all that is on offer. You are not wrong - 2 hr increase would be generous/appreciated. Players have been piping about food lasting longer in WvW, but that is what primers are for.

@Sovereign.1093 That's an interesting combo. I've used vamp runes in PvP so I imagine they'd be useful so long as your zerg is finishing downs. I remember back in the day when guilds, for added snowballing, would run omnom compote, either restoration sigs or stam sigs for endless dodging/health.

@Jade Raccoon.4285 said:@ArchonWing.9480 I too, am quite surprised at the relatively low-cost that asc food is currently sitting at; wouldn't doubt as you stated the more players farming seeds it will further drop in price. Yes, I am aware certain food prices took a hit; the initial excitement of re-balancing all that is on offer. You are not wrong - 2 hr increase would be generous/appreciated. Players have been piping about food lasting longer in WvW, but that is what primers are for.

@Sovereign.1093 That's an interesting combo. I've used vamp runes in PvP so I imagine they'd be useful so long as your zerg is finishing downs. I remember back in the day when guilds, for added snowballing, would run omnom compote, either restoration sigs or stam sigs for endless dodging/health.

still works. hence why i go full zerky sometimes so if i can kill, i down need to refresh.

@Jade Raccoon.4285 said:@ArchonWing.9480 You are not wrong - 2 hr increase would be generous/appreciated. Players have been piping about food lasting longer in WvW, but that is what primers are for.People often go unecessarily up in arms and immidiately takes to hyperbole when P2W is mentioned. It obviously doesn't have to completely ruin the game and sensible discussion should always be possible. At the same time, if a game is marketed on the ethics of it's cash shop then arguments to the contrary are usually ill advised. Primers being one of those things, they are an advantage in a competetive mode and inherently unhealthy, even if not catastrophic.

As for the topic at large, it feels like the ascended food has made less of a difference than the earlier XP-oriented food that was recently introduced. I'd say that food marked a sterner change in direction than ascended food have, so far. I am a bit on the fence about ascended food in WvW. On the one hand gold sinks may be needed throughout the game (though WvW, gold, yeah) and give server-organisation something fun to work towards. That sort of collective effort in preparing things does not necessarily have to be of evil, at the same time it risks ripping up disparity, balance issues or people just feeling left out (ie., if a large community seeds a densely populated map, maybe one with a queue, and smaller roaming groups and their preferred maps can't compete with the creep). It may not have to be concrete balance issues but it can still lead to animosity and already obscured groups of players being pushed further out. I'm unsure if it weighs positively or if it is worth the possible risks, especially at this time given the state of the game and mode.

Ed. Also, thumbs up for the puns in the OP :).

Gradually over the years of playing, food and even keep/guild buffs have become less important to me when it comes to roaming.

Keep buff +400 statsGuild buff +400 statsFood buff +200 statsUtility buff +100 statson top of damage reduction.

That might seem a lot, but I've seen fully buffed players with food/utility/guild/keep bonuses get outplayed and lose to players who had zero buffs on them.And it dawned on me that if you're good enough, all these buffs aren't really that critical even if it gave ~1000+ extra stats.

Look at it this way. What if there was an additional trait you could pick for your build that gave you 10% damage reduction, 100 power, and 70 ferocity (the same buff as Peppercorn-Crusted Sous-Vide Steak). You would be stupid not to take it. The only downside is that it costs around 60s per hour. Ascended food is just power creep that is also a gold sink, 2 things wvw certainly does not need.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Look at it this way. What if there was an additional trait you could pick for your build that gave you 10% damage reduction, 100 power, and 70 ferocity (the same buff as Peppercorn-Crusted Sous-Vide Steak). You would be stupid not to take it. The only downside is that it costs around 60s per hour. Ascended food is just power creep that is also a gold sink, 2 things wvw certainly does not need.

Well I mean the regular version without the -10% damage reduction costs around the same....

Excluding the one time cost of crafting for chef, feasts are actually cheaper to place now, considering the flatbread feast was 2-3g each. It also means a lot of players don't have to pay for food at all because it's a feast.

It is power creep though. -10% damage reduction seems too strong but then many people were complaining about dying too fast. But this is something that needs all traits to take a nerf.

It all depends on how serious you are about WvW. Food buffs are ultimately an economic investment, so how important they are is really how much you're willing to spend. If you don't want to spend money, using the canned foods for badges of honor is still a fine way to go about it. Especially if you're solo. But if you're in a group and you really want to win, ascended food is actually a great investment. It is really cheap for all of the things it does, and being a feast means you can feed an entire zerg with it.

If we're comparing a player (or zerg) with ascended buffs to one without... my money is on the ascended one. Those additional buffs are strong, pushing far more advantage that many traits do.

Food is okay, utilities are okay, ascended food is not okay.Like for real, if u want, add whatever buffs you want ANet to PvE, but please dont do more powercreep in WvW. Please for gods sake. We already have strange balance, staying between PvP and PvE which is not working out (in PvP its not working out as well, but thats another story) and adding more stuff that do everything (+dmg dealt, -dmg taken) is not helping.

If you're running as a guild group and ascended food is dropped you are foolish to not use it.If you're running alone or for a short time period where the bonus won't help much (i.e. just daily sentry/camp type stuff), unless there's a minimal price difference to what you usually run it's not worth the hassle.

However, to deny it is powercreep is utterly shortsighted. The -10% incoming damage means your backliners/frontliners have more sustain, the same goes for ciilantro variant with a small amount of lifesteal. This is especially strong on rev where the HP pool is sufficient unlike on weaver.

-10% incoming damage is equal to +200 armor more or less.

I think food with % modifiers in general should be reevaluated (10% incoming damage, 10% outgoing healing at least in WvW especially in conjunction with Bountiful Maintenance Oil , -20% condition duration , etc)