Mike Z. Interview: World Restructuring News

Sviel.7493

For Swiss tournaments, the front end is done, and we’re just shoring up the back end to make sure that it’s going to run and people aren’t going to lose progress. The work that we’re doing right now is going to have some impact on how we finish world restructuring as well. We’re killing two birds with one stone.

World restructuring is the paramount feature that the competitive team is working on right now. We knew we needed to get Swiss done, and now all hands are trying to get world restructuring done as soon as we can.

It ain't much, but it's more than we've had for the past year...

Note that Swiss tournaments were supposed to be out already, which means they're behind on Alliances because the previous project went long.

Source: https://pcgamesn.com/guild-wars-2/pvp-raids-world-restructuring

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I want to know how this system will work and how will it fix population issues

it won't do anything since they refuse to touch the transfer window.

editthat's an exaggeration. restructuring will help a lot but transferring where ever you want with a measly 1 week lock down will seriously undermine everything it seems to me.

@"Sviel.7493" said:all hands are trying to get world restructuring done as soon as we can.For some reason I imagine a dev just sitting far leaned back in a chair and slapping one of those sticky rubber hand throw toys onto postit notes in the ceiling, seeing if it will catch the one saying "world reconstruction" rather than the one saying "nerf scrapper".

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:its funny how with the plans they've laid out, you can transfer for 7 weeks of the match but not for the 8th week. should be the other way around, for obvious reasons... its funny in a sad way.

It's been a very long time since I read the summary but my recollection was that while you could change your wvw guild at any time that would not change the 'world' you play on until the next time the populations were reshuffled. Regardless, that they would even be able to force such a waiting period under the new system would be progress. Again, I don't expect restructuring to be a fix, I only expect it to allow the devs more flexibility . . .

As others have said I'm also worried that this may have taken a little too long already. A lot of the things that would have been a lot more fun under alliances aren't really all that much fun anymore :(

OTOH, new system, new life, new possibilities. I'm sure restructuring will bring about some positive changes I'm not anticipating as well . . .

@"Sviel.7493" said:

For Swiss tournaments, the front end is done, and we’re just shoring up the back end to make sure that it’s going to run and people aren’t going to lose progress. The work that we’re doing right now is going to have some impact on how we finish world restructuring as well. We’re killing two birds with one stone.

World restructuring is the paramount feature that the competitive team is working on right now. We knew we needed to get Swiss done, and now all hands are trying to get world restructuring done as soon as we can.

Note that Swiss tournaments were supposed to be out already, which means they're behind on Alliances because the previous project went long.

Source:

I mean those two sentencesCould have been said a year...or maybe half a year ago

Why now?

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

@"Sviel.7493" said:

Source:

I mean those two sentencesCould have been said a year...or maybe half a year ago

Why now?

Could they really though? How does it matter?

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"Sviel.7493" said:

Source:

Why now?

Could they really though? How does it matter?

Knowledge my Young oneKnowledge

I used to be an avid wvw player, been waiting for the alliance system for a long time. I think it is too late. I kinda got tired of waiting and lost interest of gw2 overall. I don't think I will be excited to come back to the game.

Most of my friends and guild mates had quit wvw many months ago. They are now playing wow classic or some other games. I recently started wow classic as well. It is so much fun to me. The world pvp is surprisignly competitive, and it is happening everywhere. It's just that the zerg fight is extremely rare. Most are small scale roaming fight, the biggest it can go is usually 15 vs 15 in Hillsbrad. As someone who loved the zerg fight in wvw, this idea of small scale fight came very refreshing.

Anyways... only if they did the alliance much sooner... doesnt mean the game sucks. GW2 is an amazing game and wvw is quite unique game mode out there. Good luck to you guys and maybe i will come back to it when I am done with wow classic. But if anyone is sick of gw2 becoz burned out, I would strongly recommend give it a go at wow classic. Yes, the game feels and progresses very slow, but I think that's the point. For example, in gw2 it takes one click to teleport from moving point A to B. But in wow classic, you need to take the boat. And open up the flying points. It takes ages. I never thought I would be okay with this.

@Gop.8713 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:its funny how with the plans they've laid out, you can transfer for 7 weeks of the match but not for the 8th week. should be the other way around, for obvious reasons... its funny in a sad way.

It's been a very long time since I read the summary but my recollection was that while you could change your wvw guild at any time that would not change the 'world' you play on until the next time the populations were reshuffled. Regardless, that they would even be able to force such a waiting period under the new system would be progress. Again, I don't expect restructuring to be a fix, I only expect it to allow the devs more flexibility . . .

As others have said I'm also worried that this may have taken a little too long already. A lot of the things that would have been a lot more fun under alliances aren't really all that much fun anymore :(

OTOH, new system, new life, new possibilities. I'm sure restructuring will bring about some positive changes I'm not anticipating as well . . .

that's true, but you can also transfer. I don't get it either lol.

@Ryudnard.2587 said:Most of my friends and guild mates had quit wvw many months ago. They are now playing wow classic or some other games. I recently started wow classic as well. It is so much fun to me. The world pvp is surprisignly competitive, and it is happening everywhere. It's just that the zerg fight is extremely rare. Most are small scale roaming fight, the biggest it can go is usually 15 vs 15 in Hillsbrad. As someone who loved the zerg fight in wvw, this idea of small scale fight came very refreshing.

It can happen if organized, there was one that happened couple days ago when alliance was going to attack undercity and then horde turned around and brought a zerg of their own to counter and went to ironforge. You'll see much more of that when the honor system get put into place and layering is taken out, perhaps in phase 2 the next big content patch there. The only problem is going to be when the layering is taken off, the worlds that are dominated by one faction(horde) will completely take over world pvp, as they did in regular wow, but hey it'll just remind you of coverage issues in gw2 lol, then phase 3 will bring battlegrounds for everyone to run away from open world pvp.

Gaile GFeb 1 2018We do not have a release date, but this is going to require several months of work and it will share resources with any other WvW changes that we work on.

Raymond LJul 2 2018At this time, we do not have a date to share with the community but we are actively working toward internal milestones. We plan to post periodic updates when we have interesting or relevant information to share.

Raymond LNov 29 2018we have made some really good and exciting progress, we are still a ways out from the launch of World Restructuring and Alliances.Once work is underway and we have something more tangible on the frontend, we can start discussing how we want to show off the new shinies to everyone.I hope that we soon will be able to announce some of the other things we have been working on

Mike ZApr 2 2019We’ve mentioned in the past how important world restructuring is to our WvW initiatives, and that hasn’t changed. While the Programming Team is focused on this initiative...

Mike ZSep 13 2019World restructuring is the paramount feature that the competitive team is working on right now.We knew we needed to get Swiss done, and now all hands are trying to get world restructuring done as soon as we can.

B)

Honestly, all I see from this is that this whole time they worked on swiss for pvp and didnt touch alliances at all.Considering how long it took them to "finish" swiss with "all hands", we're probably a year off alliances at this point.

Regardless, it is too late now. NA is now up to 14 empty server and only 1 full server. Majority of guilds left and the mode is just not fun anymore because there are no challenging fights...

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:

Gaile G
Feb 1 2018
We do not have a release date, but this is going to require several months of work and it will share resources with any other WvW changes that we work on.

Raymond L
Jul 2 2018
At this time, we do not have a date to share with the community but we are actively working toward internal milestones. We plan to post periodic updates when we have interesting or relevant information to share.

Raymond L
Nov 29 2018
we have made some really good and exciting progress, we are still a ways out from the launch of World Restructuring and Alliances.Once work is underway and we have something more tangible on the frontend, we can start discussing how we want to show off the new shinies to everyone.I hope that we soon will be able to announce some of the other things we have been working on

Mike Z
Apr 2 2019
We’ve mentioned in the past how important world restructuring is to our WvW initiatives, and that hasn’t changed. While the Programming Team is focused on this initiative...

Mike Z
Sep 13 2019
World restructuring is the paramount feature that the competitive team is working on right now.We knew we needed to get Swiss done, and now all hands are trying to get world restructuring done as soon as we can.

B)

They only recently decided that adding swiss was a thing, which means no one was working on restructuring THIS WHOLE TIME. And, when they finally decided to do swiss, they decided to do it before working on the thing they promised us more than a year ago. This is just sad.I wonder what other project will get bumped ahead of restructuring prior to it's "alleged" release?

@Gop.8713 said:

What about people not in Guilds? What happens to us? I been repping my own guild since Vanilla as pretty much a one person guild.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:its funny how with the plans they've laid out, you can transfer for 7 weeks of the match but not for the 8th week. should be the other way around, for obvious reasons... its funny in a sad way.

What about people not in Guilds? What happens to us? I been repping my own guild since Vanilla as pretty much a one person guild.

You have been posting like a gazillion threads on this forum recently, have you never read the initial Alliance post?

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuring/p1a3c5eWvW_image1.png-That's how the new "servers" (or worlds, or battlegroups or w/e) will be composed.-The working estimate was roughly 2500 players with alliances peaking at 500 and guilds at 300.-So any one alliance will at most make up 1/5 of the total "server".-This also allow them to grow or shrink the sizes of the "servers" based on total population while using those three building blocks (alliances, guilds, players).-If the WvW population drops really low, instead of reducing tiers and combining servers they could split servers down to, say, 1500 players (1/3 in alliance).-Despite this image posted by Anet people constantly get it on the backfoot and thinks that an alliance will be a server, which it won't.-Alliances are just a building block that lets smaller guilds stick together through transfers/resets as an alternative to making one big guild.-So an alliance (eg., 4x25=100) can actually be smaller than a guild (>300). In fact, you're likely to have influential alliances at only 100-ish players.-That's what we already see with the relink and transfer circus, it's often less than 100 players initially transfering that creates a new stack server.-It's just that among those 100 players are 10 commanders and then everyone else transfers to gain access to those commanders and that content.-Ed. By 2019 standards the commander density is likely closer to 2, but the argument is still the same B) .