Modern PC - FPS drops

I got a new PC since yesterday. But I'm surprised about the FPS drops. I played a little bit WvW and it's massive.

Some data:Direct X 1232,000 RAMAMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

When I'm choosing Auto detect in the graphic settings in GW 2, the game set's some attributs high, some extremly low. Is there something wrong with my system or is it the game?

https://imgur.com/a/iugiVNG

Gonna try some Resident Evil 2 Remake next.

the game is very old and very CPU bound. drops among large groups of players are common. try setting your Character Model settings to no higher than medium. turn Reflections to Off or Terrain/Sky. Shadows to Medium can also help.

beyond that, it could be GW2 in relation to your new GPU. some bugs have been noted by others with this combo. they'll most likely get worked out over time. you can try using d9vk to help with that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@"Ansau.7326" said:The problem is you run with "All" reflections and "High" Character Model Limit and Quantity. These settings are fps killers. Disable reflections, lower to "Low" or "Mediium" the others, max the rest besides shadows.I did use same setting with my 10 year old cpu and performance was about same than with new computer (without D9VK game is totally unplayable). Problem is that my average gpu clock is 670 mhz and cpu clock doesn't go over 4.2 ghz while i play gw2. Seems like cpu does all the work and still doesn't even use one core full potential. GPU is almost idle whole time.

Ive upgraded my pc to an 8 core and used my old components to build an additional pc for my girlfriend, so that she could try out pc gaming, particularly GW2. She got my old AMD fx 5600.I play Fallout 4 on full with over a hundred pretty large mods, massive forests and silent hill like fog everywhere. Smooth as silk even in downtown.GW2 - FPS spikes from standing around with snow particles.

Her GW2 runs smoother than mine. inferior machine, worse graphics card, weaker processor. GW2 plays like a dream.

I've tried prioritising cores, tweaked the graphics even though i haven't had to do that on hers and yet, fps spikes. Seems like the game only runs on one or two cores, the more cores beyond that, even if you limit access, the worse performance becomes.

@Junkpile.7439 said:

@"Ansau.7326" said:The problem is you run with "All" reflections and "High" Character Model Limit and Quantity. These settings are fps killers. Disable reflections, lower to "Low" or "Mediium" the others, max the rest besides shadows.I did use same setting with my 10 year old cpu and performance was about same than with new computer (without D9VK game is totally unplayable). Problem is that my average gpu clock is 670 mhz and cpu clock doesn't go over 4.2 ghz while i play gw2. Seems like cpu does all the work and still doesn't even use one core full potential. GPU is almost idle whole time.

No, that's what happens when you set gpu related settings to minimum while having cpu intensive ones at max. Gw2 isn't very gpu demanding, but that doesn't mean gpu will be idling all the time.Anyway, rx5700xt is a hell of a gpu for any 7 years old dx9 game, not just gw2. Some idling or not running at full speed full power Is completely normal.

The problem is that GW2 is CPU bound, are are most games of its complexity, please don't compare to non-MMO, nothing comes close to the amount of other players onscreen at one time as MMOs, not even multiplayer FPS.

Anyways CPUs have not changed much in the last decade, they have more cores and more efficient execution but clock rates are still around 3-4GHz, so you won't see alot of improvement on modern hardware. The game's graphics engine would have to be completely rewritten from scratch to make use of DX11+ in order to thread properly and make use of all the cores in your computer, and even then there's latency issues.

People find it hard to understand that graphics API choice affects CPU usage more than GPU usage.

You can try using the unofficial DX12 addon which should improve things alot, or play under Linux with Vulkan/D9VK (its harder in Windows). With playing the game under Windows with DX9 there's no way to break this because you're on the limits of the bare metal. You have to have some kind of layer inbetween to emulate some of the game's graphics code and solve the deficiencies in it.