Buying Gems: Unfortunately an error has occurred. Please try again later!

I posted on this last night when I tried to purchase gems for my other half. Same thing as the OP said.

If support is fixing the problem for many people then they obviously know what the problem is, so why not either 1. tell us what it is, or 2. fix it for everyone?

It might be frustrating for us in the short term, especially having to contact support repeatedly for the same issue. But surely the gw2 company is losing money each time people give up. So it should be in their interest to fix it for everyone?

It's weird. I have issues with this message and another message "this offer is not available". I live in Germany and afaik Digital River which the use to bill was used for GW1 as well - when I bougth the GW1 complete edition a few weeks ago. I guess it is a problem of the ingame system. (Too bad they don't allow to guy gems directly on the website but only in game.)

Now I could just buy a gem card or contact support. Both takes some time. Unless I wanted to buy from some unofficial store selling gem card codes unline ... but I don't want to risk problems with the account and prefer officialy buying from ArenaNet directly.

First thought it was because I set the client to English language but it correctly recognized my country (I guess by IP) and later some special payment methots only available to my country. I guess I'll try the support.

Guess I'll try the support and wait ... one of the items I need starting on sale now for the next 3 days. Hope they'll reply in max 1-2 days. (I guess if it is about money they'll be faster than with other issues.)

I was able to use my palpal to buyb gems to get the unbreakable tools which is scurrently at 50% off and before that the copper salvage o matic. My wife tried to buy gems using my paypal but received this error message, btw they make that flash by way way too quick on the screen.

We assume it because this game doesn't want two people thus two different accounts using the same payment method? I mean she my wife and we use the same paypal but she does have her own which is used less often and mostly for odd cases like this so i sent her the money required from my paypal to hers. Once she had it in her paypal she tried to purchase gems again but still getting the same darn error.

I can get them blocking it the first time for "security" reasons but you should be able to switch payment methods without your account getting locked down like this.

The stupid thing about this whole thing is I can buy gems on my account but I can't buy the unbreakable tools for her and gift them to her as I can't get them twice at the 50% off sale price....lol

I suppose there is no safe online stores you can buy gem cards (and receive the code via email) from either?

I did some searching and digging around and found a solution for those with this error that worked for my wife.

You need to go to c\user\"yourusername"\appdata\local\temp and do a search for gw2cache delete this file and voila gem store purchase worked.

The file you want to delete should look like this but may have different numbers after gw2cache.

gw2cache-{xxx9786F-27D6-xxxx-6C78-E9BAxxxxxxx23}

My wife was able to buy gems via paypal and get the unbreakable tool all without having to wait on support. This should really be something Anet has in thier support section so people can try this before contacting support.

Thanks for your research. Tried this as well now. But unfortunately for me it did not work. Still getting errors after reviewing the order and clicking confirm. For all payment options except credit card which I can't try cause there it requests the card info early - and I don't have a credit card. While for PayPal I guess at the later steps where I can't get to it starts requesting your PayPal info.

When I say all payment options I mean paysafecard as well - where I can't get to the point where it would require info about the paysafecard. Fortunately I didn't buy one. Just tried for testing purposes to click through the forms.

So I guess it means waiting for the support (hopefully they'll work at weekends as well and can help fast enough so I can still get the gathering tools at 50 percent off ... or at least letting me buy them for 2400 and refund 1200 if it takes longer until i can buy gems).

Only possible option atm seems gem cards. Which I don't want to buy at inofficial sites that sell and mail the key directly. Buying at a store ... too lazy and I'm not even sure if they are available. I prefer online and only Amazon as authorized reseller seems to have them from NCSoft but sold by a 3rd party (marketplace) seller and that would still take some time since they send the card per snail mail and not key online I think. Too risky and I'd prefer directly to buy online.

I hope some time in the future they'll manage to get a payment option directly at the website. (Would that be too much trouble to implement?) Since Digital River payment provider that is used in EU worked for me while buying GW1 on website store. (As mentioned above already.)

Don't know why there are restrictions in game. (Apparently it is some restriction that somehow got set on account base for some accounts?) I never did anything suspicious and had no previous outstanding/revoked payments.

Edit: Could browser security settings create these errors? On reddit at some thread someone mentioned this was the case for him. Not going into further detail though.I have set Firefox as my default browser with very restrictive settings and bought the GW1 weeks ago with IE. Cause I did not want to change Firefox security settings and firefox with these settings breaks the store at the website.

Thought the ingame stuff would be different - own system and even own integrated browser. I'll try changing my defaults to IE - then trying ingame.

Edit2: No that did not work either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having this problem as well ! Tried the proposed solutions above but still doesn't work. What the heck Anet... I am willing to give you 35EURO which for us is double prize and you don't want the money? Of course you want it....

No wonder that all the scummy or good websites for selling games and codes skyrocket the GEMS like the prize for the whole game. Also when I was submitting a ticket I saw in the form, a field for receipt order or serial number, which is kind of funny as I never received any of these. I remember just login to my arena account and activated the both DLC packs + additional bag pack slot that I get for additional 4.99Euro. I spent like an hour looking for that email which I remember ... I didn't get one. But I do have my bank statement if they happen to want it.

I'll keep you updated.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...