How often does Blackgate open these days?

sostronk.8167

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:can somebody answer me this. Why is Blackgate so much better than every other server?

They have full-time dedicated scoutsThey use comms consistentlyThey respond to call-outs consistentlyThey don't overstretch things they intend to hold

because they play the mode as intended. siege, scouts, communication, numbers, and quality.

do their 3 Borderland maps stay full?

i dont know. :/ someone from bg can answer this.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:can somebody answer me this. Why is Blackgate so much better than every other server?

They have full-time dedicated scoutsThey use comms consistentlyThey respond to call-outs consistentlyThey don't overstretch things they intend to hold

because they play the mode as intended. siege, scouts, communication, numbers, and quality.

lol, nobarely even on reset anymoreMaybe 2 decent size ques on reset nightdecent que on sat and sun in ebg or floating. Pretty typical numbers.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

Reset was 41 tops EBG for ~2 hrs + dwindled fast, other maps no queues. I rarely play NA only reset days.. you'll see 1-2 maps queued that's bout it.

Hope that helps answer your question.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

The biggest advantage BG has is coverage in ‘off’ timezones.

On NA last night, had two maps (at least) that were outnumbered for a good portion of the evening.

That being said, numbers favor BG, along with

@Acheron.4731 said:

And

@Sovereign.1093 said:

Numbers plus the above is hard to ‘beat’

@Gop.8713 said:This is pretty much entirely unrelated to the topic at hand but ppl talking about queues made me wonder. I don't play at reset so I haven't seen any map queue at all in literally months. How many servers queue maps at reset . . ?

I can’t say.. but even EU population based on pop levels have dropped. Currently, at least three ‘hosts’ are medium. There were only 12 servers yesterday that were not medium pop level..

@Hexalot.8194 said:

Because they are the one server many willing to bandwagon to.

When it was locked for nearly a whole year, BG was still consistently winning it's match ups, so bandwagoning can't be the reason.

I wouldn’t bother. Most players believe it’s that BG has map queues on every map around the clock.

Most will also say that the stacking occurred long ago which is why they continue to be successful. And there is truth in that.

They don’t talk about the multiple guilds that have transferred off over the past three years.

All that said, it is the only server that is ‘full’ so that says it has a greater population than any one server.

Also, the server that shall not be named likely has a larger percentage population of veterans as being closed for as long as they have had prevented new accounts from being on the server.

It also likely has one of the largest ‘hibernating’ populations in NA as many transferred there before megaservers because their organization was able to solve some of the early metas. Of course most of those players don’t like WvW...

@Hexalot.8194 said:

When it was locked for nearly a whole year, BG was still consistently winning it's match ups, so bandwagoning can't be the reason.

Their bandwagon happened years ago on multiple occasions, a lot of their players refuse to leave because they constantly win since like 2013, only guilds have eventually leaked out to other servers, yet their population is so much higher than other servers they have to remain lock for most of the year. They've never needed a link for most of the time links have been around. Have a few dedicated scouts and defenders, hold a keep from each of the enemies, ride the win out these days.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

I wouldn’t bother. Most players believe it’s that BG has map queues on every map around the clock.

I don't think most seasoned WvW players think that. Even bg can't field 24/7 map queues on every map anymore. The killer is the coverage. Blackgate consitantly has more players on average across all time zones.

But in the end all that matters is that a server is stacked more than any other server. Which bg is.

@Hexalot.8194 said:

Bg was formed very early on during the launch. It became the defacto server for pve before the server thingy, I already forgot what is called. Anyway, lots and lots people went bg not just for wvw. Exactly because of that, bg limit was raised several times throughout. Bg base population is enormous. Also, whenever it open, people went and stack there ontop of that enormous base population. So everytime there are return players, bg again become gigantic big.

Furthermore, POF's current balance dictate that as long enemy has more than 10, with all meta classes, you have high chance of losing. You can't zerg bust anymore in POF. It is a number game.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Gop.8713 said:This is pretty much entirely unrelated to the topic at hand but ppl talking about queues made me wonder. I don't play at reset so I haven't seen any map queue at all in literally months. How many servers queue maps at reset . . ?

I can’t say.. but even EU population based on pop levels have dropped. Currently, at least three ‘hosts’ are medium. There were only 12 servers yesterday that were not medium pop level..

But that's meaningless in terms of actual numbers. Server status is only a measure of how full a server is relative to other servers, it doesn't represent a specific number or range of numbers. But the number of players it takes to make a map queue is static, or at least 'more' static . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

But that's meaningless in terms of actual numbers. Server status is only a measure of how full a server is relative to other servers, it doesn't represent a specific number or range of numbers. But the number of players it takes to make a map queue is static, or at least 'more' static . . .

Call it what you will: bite the first time that we have seen both EU and NA not be able to field at least a non medium server for each host on all tiers.

They have some of the most dedicated players during off hours. Most other servers Attack and take a structure and leave to take other stuff. They don’t try to defend what they’ve taken. Not these BG players though. BG players won’t just take a structure and leave. They will walk dolyaks and defend camps for as many structures that they can make into T3. And their skills are above the average players so it takes a huge effort to dislodge them from whatever they’re guarding.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

They have some of the most dedicated players during off hours. Most other servers Attack and take a structure and leave to take other stuff. They don’t try to defend what they’ve taken. Not these BG players though. BG players won’t just take a structure and leave. They will walk dolyaks and defend camps for as many structures that they can make into T3. And their skills are above the average players so it takes a huge effort to dislodge them from whatever they’re guarding.

but why isnt that same talent and mindset spread out. Why specifically they all there rather than all over the other servers?

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

but why isnt that same talent and mindset spread out. Why specifically they all there rather than all over the other servers?

That would be a better question for some of the long standing accounts in BG. Maybe check with bliss or XT

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

Players as a rule are short sighted and selfish. BG is full of those types.

It is ANET's job (and game devs in general) to create the rules and enforce them. ANET failed, spectacularly. Then they let the BG players make fools of them and destroy the game mode.

Now everyone is leaving. Incompetence should never be rewarded.

this is actually hilarious ppl think that Bg on prime has massive Ques and ppl all around the maps if you check the wvw stats you will see that bg is the least active server on NA prime time and The Number one active server on SEA and Ocx with ques that's how they keep winning i don't get why ppl wanna go play there unless you are not an NA player

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

During the first two WvW seasons Choc Pudding spent several thousand dollars to recruit guilds and players to Blackgate, including off-hour guilds. The Russian guild that arrived in the middle of season one on Blackgate(and broke the spirit of SOR and destroyed them as a server within days.) was paid for by Choc. I was in another guild that was bought and brought to Blackgate by Choc. Winning caused a chain reaction of sorts as players who cared about winning inevitable moved to Blackgate.

After seasons ended the incentive to stack a server for the purpose of winning a season was obviously no longer present, but BG was still stacked with those players they had bought, or who had flocked their because they cared about winning. In the years since seasons many of those players have quit or left the server, but at the same time due to lack of motivation no server has stacked itself to the same degree that Blackgate did. So while some servers have risen to beat BG for a limited span of time(Maguuma when they cared, YB when they were super stacked for example), the interest of the guilds and commanders and more importantly the financial backers who move players around, don't care about building a long-term server to beat Blackgate because there is no reward for doing so without the spectre of a WvW season to give them motivation.

They are the best at doing what it takes to win. Upgrading structures on enemy BLs is probably the biggest difference I have seen between BG and most servers. BG will upgrade the keep on their side of an enemy BL and try to hold it all week. Hell, they will even T3 the south tower on an enemy BL, scout, and waypoint 30 people in to defend it. No other NA server I've seen will even care about a south tower on an enemy BL. Could be lack of scouts on most servers, or server culture. They don't shame each other for PPT-stress, and generally it's a pretty tryhard PPT server. I think all their success stems from that attitude really. They also have a lot of pugs who actually know what they are doing and can act self-sufficiently without a tag. That means building/using siege, clouding enemies out of their structures, etc. The pugs are probably the biggest reason they still win every week despite not having all that many guilds. Yes they have high KDR but as I said, they play very defensively and their matchups tend to have very low activity numbers because of this.

Unrelated to the main post, but I learned a lot reading through. How even BG doesn't have long massive queues during reset nowadays is kind mind-boggling, they always feel so stacked whenever we are fighting against them. Granted, I don't think I've seen map queues in a looooong time, being in a medium server.

Tbh, I feel like WvW has entered a sort of pseudo-maintenance period, with not much being done to it. Don't think that'll change anytime soon, and for me personally, that's fine. I'm done complaining, I just wanna fool around there with guild friends every Saturday night, and just adapt to whatever changes (or lack thereof) they decided to make there.