Mike Z. Interview: World Restructuring News

Sviel.7493

@Acheron.4731 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:it does take into account coverage at least. since they're moving around single players, guilds, and alliances, they can more accurately solve the coverage problem. thing is anyone can transfer anywhere at anytime and band wagon.

Raymond has stated that Alliances 1.0 will not take time zones aka coverage into account. Maybe 2.0 in another 3 years will?

link to that, please perhaps maybe? :D

I can't find it but he or McKenna did state that. The response was: 'well how the heck does this fix anything then?'I wonder if Raymond or McKenna are still around?Only ones that post here now are Ben and Stephane

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/61986/world-restructuring-update-2/p1

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:Will time zone imbalance still be an issueIt is true that in the initial release of World Restructuring we are not planning to consider time zone distribution when creating worlds. Part of that is so we can get the primary aspects of the system in and gather data about how the system works given the metrics we are using for balance. We want to compare apples to apples to give us the clearest information. This also will allow us to have a new baseline to compare against modifications to the metrics used for balancing the teams. We also are discussing some other ways to address “off hours” play, so stay tuned for more info as we can share it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragun.4509 ✭December 1, 2018

Hi, where to even start lol...

So, Lets say Alliances hit over night and it just "works as intended"

So, what are we to believe that means? and "why" is it going to be benefiting.

""""As stated by Anet, its NOT going to solve coverage issues or even take them into account right away."""""

So what is it going to do? "its going to quote divide the populations into even smaller portions to work with"

So that the Anet Gods can do what? finally BALANCE populations right?

But How? are you going to FORCE oxc/sea guilds into alliances they may not want to be in?

and how "thin" do you think, you can spread populations before WvW isn't WvW anymore?

This was the response i rememberThanks Xenesis...i knew I could count on you :)

@Queen Anastasia.7103 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:So they haven't been working on it? So it was a lot of lying and placating... good to know I guess....

This is common stuff if you've been around for years, at least for WvW.

Fake promises, over-hyping, rarely pulling through with what they said they were working on, no road maps, nada.

So I mean we can't even trust A-net to work on the game, let alone make a new one. Everyone is saying they need a new IP (or alot of people are.) and they can't even be bothered to keep their word on this one, or at least meet promises and the wants of their community. To me this screams they are out of touch with us, the game and what games are.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:They have 3 teams doing living story while 1 team doing something else aka first come first basis. Doesn't look like they pour all their resources to gw2.Gw2 ultimately is just LS.

That only makes sense if all teams are the exact same size. We have no idea how many people are working on what. Living world team might be 5 people,. A dozen people might be working on restructuring. How would we know?

@Vayne.8563 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:They have 3 teams doing living story while 1 team doing something else aka first come first basis. Doesn't look like they pour all their resources to gw2.Gw2 ultimately is just LS.

That only makes sense if all teams are the exact same size. We have no idea how many people are working on what. Living world team might be 5 people,. A dozen people might be working on restructuring. How would we know?

context clues kinda gives it away :)

@Acheron.4731 said:

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:They have 3 teams doing living story while 1 team doing something else aka first come first basis. Doesn't look like they pour all their resources to gw2.Gw2 ultimately is just LS.

context clues kinda gives it away :)

I agree. And this is the ONLY context we have: "World restructuring is the paramount feature that the competitive team is working on right now. We knew we needed to get Swiss done, and now all hands are trying to get world restructuring done as soon as we can."

All hands on deck, to me, seems like there are extra people being put on it, but you know,. it could just be PR speak. And again, it could be legit news. We just don't know.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:

Gaile G
Feb 1 2018
We do not have a release date, but this is going to require several months of work and it will share resources with any other WvW changes that we work on.

Raymond L
Jul 2 2018
At this time, we do not have a date to share with the community but we are actively working toward internal milestones. We plan to post periodic updates when we have interesting or relevant information to share.

Raymond L
Nov 29 2018
we have made some really good and exciting progress, we are still a ways out from the launch of World Restructuring and Alliances.Once work is underway and we have something more tangible on the frontend, we can start discussing how we want to show off the new shinies to everyone.I hope that we soon will be able to announce some of the other things we have been working on

Mike Z
Apr 2 2019
We’ve mentioned in the past how important world restructuring is to our WvW initiatives, and that hasn’t changed. While the Programming Team is focused on this initiative...

Mike Z
Sep 13 2019
World restructuring is the paramount feature that the competitive team is working on right now.We knew we needed to get Swiss done, and now all hands are trying to get world restructuring done as soon as we can.

B)

They only recently decided that adding swiss was a thing, which means no one was working on restructuring THIS WHOLE TIME. And, when they finally decided to do swiss, they decided to do it before working on the thing they promised us more than a year ago. This is just sad.I wonder what other project will get bumped ahead of restructuring prior to it's "alleged" release?

We have been waiting for Swiss or a viable team queue format to be played at player discretion since they removed team queue back in season 4... that wasn't "recently."

Realisticly they could have added PIPs to unranked and that would have been fine too.

@Acheron.4731 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:it does take into account coverage at least. since they're moving around single players, guilds, and alliances, they can more accurately solve the coverage problem. thing is anyone can transfer anywhere at anytime and band wagon.

Raymond has stated that Alliances 1.0 will not take time zones aka coverage into account. Maybe 2.0 in another 3 years will?

I can't find it but he or McKenna did state that. The response was: 'well how the heck does this fix anything then?'I wonder if Raymond or McKenna are still around?Raymond is still around (not sure if he is actively working on competitive game mode), but McKenna was let go during the layoffs.

@chad.8701 said:

I can't find it but he or McKenna did state that. The response was: 'well how the heck does this fix anything then?'I wonder if Raymond or McKenna are still around?Raymond is still around (not sure if he is actively working on competitive game mode), but McKenna was let go during the layoffs.

It was well after McKenna. I would say either Ray or Ben. The source is either here on the forum (check the World restructuring posts and their FAQ) or it was in one of the weekly Twitch runs (go see if there are old VoD to watch). I can corroborate Visiroth's statement though, I've seen it too.

As far as working on things, we can always only speculate but I think it is closer to truth to say that they are still apart of the competetive team but that the balance of ArenaNet internally at this point is likely that there are 4 content teams and the competetive team does quite alot of everything else while holding a majority of the game designers (the work title; the game theory and spreadsheet dudes). I wouldn't be surprised if fractals- and/or raid teams have been suspended and integrated in the other teams by now and that ArenaNet overall operates more closely to traditional profession roles and descriptions than scrums or whatever. It don't mean that they must have completely scrapped project groups but the teams they refer to seem very heavy on specific professions with traditional game designers majorly in one team, alot of programmers in another and so forth. So the competetive team is not unlikely to be competetive/game design:non-encounter-or-content, if that makes any sense to anyone. That would be my guess.

Ed. If it didn't make sense I meant that the content teams (sagas) likely also has game designers on them, as per the work title, but they are perhaps closer to content designers than traditional game designers or systems designers. The people on competetive do things like character balance (for PvE) but not likely the design or balance of the strike NPC's or those encounters. That's one example of how competetive is likely to do quite alot of "everything else" by now.

• 10 months later...