New Character

Hordek.6137

Hello. I am new to GW2 and have this far REALLY enjoyed the game. So far I have a level 42 Necro and I enjoy him but I am reading a lot that they aren't viable come end game and they don't bring anything to the table. I am looking at rerolling a new class. I have dabbled in Revenant till 17 and was fun. The Mesmer and Engineer peak my curiosity. So as you can see, I am at a crossroad. Please suggest a profession and why. It does not have to be one of the professions I stated. I'm looking for options. Please note, this is strictly PvE and MAYBE a little WvW. I want viability and utility in endgame. I am not interested in not being able to find a group come endgame. With that being said I also want to be able to solo quite well. I do not enjoy structured PvP. Thanks and see yall in game.

Every class has a viable endgame build, just some synergise better with other builds or strategies. Necromancer happens to excel at personal survivability and burst (esp. with the reaper traitline), so is often seen as easier to play - so if you enjoy it, go for it.

I'd hold off on the topic of who to main until level 80 - for now, just pick who you think is the coolest. Elite specs could change your view of the class, and you won't be able to muster anything more than a "servicable" build before level 80, so there's no point fretting about it.

You'll probably hear this a lot, but the real game starts at level 80. Everything before then is just a tutorial.

In the end you want every class at least once at 80 ;) and some builds you will like more, some less. And there is different endgame content (WvW, Raids, Fraktals, sPvP) that favour different classes and builds. And it even changes from time to time on skill-rebalances by ANet.

My opinion for leveling and exploring in open-world:

• Easy start: necro, warrior and ranger
  • A bit shaky (Low life, need defensive play) but much damage: ele, thief
  • A bit slow (low dam at start): guardian, rev, engie
  • annoying in open world (esp. against many easy mobs): Mesmer

@Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:What end game are you looking to do? Necromancer shine in World vs World and are wanted at all times.

edit: admittedly I read half your post before posting myself but ye in WvW necro is rly good: especially the Scourge elite spec

I prefer more PvE, ie. Raiding and the such. How does Necro stack up in this aspect?

You gave almost no information about what you're looking for. Saying that you want something "viable endgame for pve" leaves you with... pretty much all classes. Find a class/spec you enjoy playing and then search for a build for it. Nobody will suddenly invite you to a "tryharding raid group" based solely on the class or build anyways, might as well enjoy the learning process. And for regular groups you don't really need anything that special.

• Confused 1

Necro is my favorite class to play. I have 7 level 80s and the main (by far) is my necro/minion master. Rarely dies, does great damage, especially against groups. I throw my minions out against a champ then throw marks all over the place and get looting rights on the champ, and tons of their minions.