How do you all feel about Strike Missions?

@Asum.4960 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:The strike mission barely serves as an introduction to Ascalonian Catacombs (or other low level dungeons) as it's easier than any dungeon and any T1 fractal. As an introduction to Raids it doesn't do anything really.

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc.

Dungeons and Fractals exist to teach players those things, why did we need something new?

For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that. However joining for strike mission is something where you just show up when you talk with npc. After the first strike mission players realise that instanced content isn't that scary afterall.Note, i have no idea why i am even defending strike missions, for me they were totally pointless but i will try to understand their purpose.

If that is the case, couldn't they have added a autogrouping system to T1 Fractals?Seems like a perfect fit.

They could. But i GUESS that strike missions try to evolve into a raid boss once we get more of them. Fractals are a bit different than Raid bosses. But again imo all this stuff should have been covered while players were still under lvl 80. I THINK that this is their way to try to get skill lvl a bit higher with very simple step by step hand holding. Ofc i can be totally wrong about this aswell.Edit: after a strike mission players also get a popup Window that tells them how to exit instance, players should know that already aswell but who knows?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that.

I wonder how we run dungeons and fractals before LFG was added to the game but I see the point, the players of this game don't really know how to play the game.

I can understand that they want Strike missions to progress in baby steps. Maybe they made the first strike so easy to see the UPPER LIMIT of player participation in instanced content. Because those not running THIS Strike aren't going to run any harder ones, or harder instanced content in general. So starting with the easiest one, to find the baseline, is a good idea. Because even Freezie and the Dragon Bash arena wasn't run by the majority of the playerbase, not even close.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that.

I wonder how we run dungeons and fractals before LFG was added to the game but I see the point, the players of this game don't really know how to play the game.

I can understand that they want Strike missions to progress in baby steps. Maybe they made the first strike so easy to see the UPPER LIMIT of player participation in instanced content. Because those not running THIS Strike aren't going to run any harder ones, or harder instanced content in general. So starting with the easiest one, to find the baseline, is a good idea. Because even Freezie and the Dragon Bash arena wasn't run by the majority of the playerbase, not even close.

Yeah thats what i think aswell. Imo its a proplem that mmo has alot of players who actually fear to group up, gw2 is the only mmo where i have seen this proplem in forums, ingame and Reddit, perhaps anet tries to fix that. But as for now this one strike missions is kinda pointless unless they are going to release more of them eith harder difficulty.Btw its really hard to defend something that i find kinda pointless content ?

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:The strike mission barely serves as an introduction to Ascalonian Catacombs (or other low level dungeons) as it's easier than any dungeon and any T1 fractal. As an introduction to Raids it doesn't do anything really.

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:This was more like a tutorial for instanced content where players should learn stuff like /GG(well teleport in this one), stacking, reading chat etc.

Dungeons and Fractals exist to teach players those things, why did we need something new?

For dungeons and fractals you have to use LFG, some players are scared to join Dungeons or fractals coz of that. However joining for strike mission is something where you just show up when you talk with npc. After the first strike mission players realise that instanced content isn't that scary afterall.Note, i have no idea why i am even defending strike missions, for me they were totally pointless but i will try to understand their purpose.

If that is the case, couldn't they have added a autogrouping system to T1 Fractals?Seems like a perfect fit.

They could. But i GUESS that strike missions try to evolve into a raid boss once we get more of them. Fractals are a bit different than Raid bosses. But again imo all this stuff should have been covered while players were still under lvl 80. I THINK that this is their way to try to get skill lvl a bit higher with very simple step by step hand holding. Ofc i can be totally wrong about this aswell.Edit: after a strike mission players also get a popup Window that tells them how to exit instance, players should know that already aswell but who knows?

And i appreciate that, I really do. Any effort to increase the skill level on the low end is a good initiative, but, and I guess we agree here, the steps could easily be 3 to 5 times as big as whatever this is.Any player who would already get scared away by doing anything more than just pressing any button that's not on CD or just autoattacking without any motivation to ever improve from that is never going to join a Raid anyway, no matter how much effort and resources Anet with Strikes or the community with guides, both written and in video form, put into it.

So might as well not patronize those willing to learn and improve, but simply having an allergy to out of game resources, with this level of difficulty/baby steps. They will be fine.

@Asum.4960 said:

And i appreciate that, I really do. Any effort to increase the skill level on the low end is a good initiative, but, and I guess we agree here, the steps could easily be 3 to 5 times as big as whatever this is.Any player who would already get scared away by doing anything more than just pressing any button that's not on CD or just autoattacking without any motivation to ever improve from that is never going to join a Raid anyway, no matter how much effort and resources Anet with Strikes or the community with guides, both written and in video form, put into it.

So might as well not patronize those willing to learn and improve, but simply having an allergy to out of game resources, with this level of difficulty/baby steps. They will be fine.

Yeah. Atleast the next step should already teach some actually mechanics. Similar mechanics like VG red seekers, players would learn fast that they need to sidestep or push/Immo those. CC bar would be nice mechanic aswell. Perhaps even something that you need to collect to debuff the boss(like beehives from trio). There is lot of options its up to anet are they gonna use those options or not.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I wonder how we run dungeons and fractals before LFG was added to the game but I see the point, the players of this game don't really know how to play the game.I can't remember if the LFG tool or fractals came first, but for dungeons there was at least one web site that basically was an external LFG tool.

The LFG was released almost a year after release (September 2013), while Fractals were released in November 2012.

@"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:If they are designed to be possible to solo id be happy with that. This game could use some challenging solo content.

The problem with that is it's not compelling solo content either, as the "challenge" solo is in hitting the DPS check of the enrage (which is doable solo), not the actual fight.So you boredly hit the boss for close to 10 minutes and then either kill it or fall over and have to try again.

You will have a much better time going into 99CM and soloing MAMA etc., if you are looking for engaging solo fights.

@"Asum.4960" said:The problem with that is it's not compelling solo content either, as the "challenge" solo is in hitting the DPS check of the enrage (which is doable solo), not the actual fight.So you boredly hit the boss for close to 10 minutes and then either kill it or fall over and have to try again.Meanwhile, some groups of 5 randoms can't beat that things even with Warrior banners swaying in the storm.Or maybe I just had terrible luck, as usual.But I didn't like the Jump Puzzle Winds either.

@"sokeenoppa.5384" said:Yeah. Atleast the next step should already teach some actually mechanics. Similar mechanics like VG red seekers, players would learn fast that they need to sidestep or push/Immo those. CC bar would be nice mechanic aswell. Perhaps even something that you need to collect to debuff the boss(like beehives from trio). There is lot of options its up to anet are they gonna use those options or not.

Are baby raids even the best place to try to teach mechanics? The chief issue with nonstandard mechanics (ie, not DPS and dodging and breakbars and circles and such that you pick up anywhere) is that learning takes a certain amount of failure, and most people not only don't want that failure to be public, but also don't want it to screw things up for other people.

It seems like something that would work better if you gave raid areas an OW explorable mode and filled them with Adventures (instanced if need be) that trained specific mechanics, so players could rapidly iterate through failure cycles solo.

Removing the group assembly part of "raiding" is probably the best feature of strike missions.

My experience with the strike mission (as a non raider):

I went in on my condi renegade in exotic viper. I have no clue what my dps is as I don't do dps meters. I didn't use buffs or foods (no clue what to even use). So I joined into my 1st public. I did not know what to expect and got hooked up with about 8 or 9 other players. First I got rolled over by a snowball (I had seen this tact at the Snowy raid so knew to avoid it but while I thought I stood enough out of its way I still got hit and was impossible to escape till I was back at the start sigh. So lost my whole team.... Ran back up avoiding the other snowballs perfectly. Saw a jumping puzzle... Ok.. (Inserts a why???) Wondered where it started and once I finally found it I was going through the jumps... Slippery path in a jump puzzle really? Fell down.... Team was already fighting the boss at this point.... No clue how to get there... Someone called brazier... Had no clue what they meant as I didn't see one. When I finally noticed a portal a la Dragonfall I ported there... Ok this is that brazier... So I port and I am dead... Nice game.... Nobody in the team even bothered ressing me... Or explaining anything at all... Waiting 8 mins till the whole thing is over (they got 1 chest and I got nothing)... Everyone leaves... I cannot leave... Waiting for some timer to finish for 3 mins... Great experience!!! NOT. So tried again a public team. Again ppl not talking at all but at least I knew 1. snowballs and 2. take brazier as soon as up. Ported to that portal and did the boss. I did go down once (I think due to them tiny balls doing some dot or something?) but didn't die. Made sure to pop the group heal and also buff others with my skills. Tactics I found kinda easy but I know to not stand in red circles and those triangle lines nor in front of the boss. We managed to kill it and get 2 chests. It didn't feel difficult but not the most easy either (I know some ppl that will fail this). Easy I call when one does not get downed at all and I have seen folks downed in the 2 fights I have seen. Tho Freezy raid was more difficult. Maybe its same if only low dpses get teamed up together (I have been in a Freezy where we failed and could not down it). Ofc for regular raiders this is a piece of cake (with a premade group ofc). They should add a way to leave the place when a boss is slain tho like they had with dragonbash (but then when boss is down). The rewards were disappointing. I do not know if I would do it again due to seemingly bad rewards and the feel as if every player is anti social and only thinking bout him/herself (aka not communicating and not helping).

I can see the strike bosses being used to teach players various mechanics. Obviously the difficulty of this was scaled down to the typical PvE open world player but it's better this way as everyone is included. The difficulty can scale up with each new strike mission. The current boss teaches players to jump over shock-waves and it makes it very obvious when the attack is going to happen.

Now that it has been finally released, I think this is pretty much a let down for any raiders who were expecting any kind of fill-in to the gap (or rather chasm) that divides the playerbase.

The odd part however is that the rewards are also abysmal - which will also let down the Open World players who were expecting this to be farmable to some extent. I really hope this is only a test and they will listen to feedback because at the moment they have managed to please absolutely no one, what an effort on their part lol.

Raiders know that the raid rewards are not that great. You can't put it on farm mode. But if Strike Missions are supposed to bring in everyone else, you bet everyone else is expecting a farm. GW2 is all about farming, either achievements or raw gold, and I have no idea how they plan to make this content anywhere near regular in its current iteration. Sadly this is what, the third time they make a blunder out of rewards, since both of their MAJOR expansions HoT and PoF needed to greatly increase its incentives for people to actually start frequenting maps.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I can see the strike bosses being used to teach players various mechanics. Obviously the difficulty of this was scaled down to the typical PvE open world player but it's better this way as everyone is included. The difficulty can scale up with each new strike mission. The current boss teaches players to jump over shock-waves and it makes it very obvious when the attack is going to happen.

The shockwaves at Tequatl teached ppl this better (and the ones that don't jump there won't jump in the strike mission either).

As for rewards they should have either go with raid rewards (I mean stuff one can only get via raids) or some reward track with chests with decent loot or something. I mean people redo pvp to get those loots and pick whichever track they like.

None of the above options really hit on my opinion. I'm a non-raider, and I'm on the fence. I will never be interested in actual raids, because I can't be bothered to upgrade my gear beyond exotics--upgrading gear is just SO BORING for me.I am not especially interested in strike missions RIGHT NOW, but it's too early to form my final opinion. I'll try the one that's out at the moment, and go from there. If the content is really fun, that would make me more interested. Or, if there are rewards offered such as rare armor, weapon, and mount skins--that would make me interested, even if the content doesn't.However, if strike missions go in the direction of raids, where teams only accept players with ascended/legendary armor, then absolutely nothing can make me interested enough to go through the boring awful hell that is upgrading my gear.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:I'll reserve judgement until I see them in action since so far the developers have shown they either don't care or don't read the feedback on the forums about soon-to-released features. Plus when you give feedback, about something that hasn't been released yet, the forum police will say "have faith!" or "wait until its released!" or (when we get a few more tidbits) "this isn't the final version!".

Also it's not Strike Missions but it's singular. One of these is coming and who knows how long to get a second one.

I think they read the forums. I don't think they obey the forums. Big difference. If they obeyed the forums, we probably wouldn't have mounts now. lol

Despite already raiding this concept sounds nice in theory but in practice however the whole thing is a joke. You can literally solo the whole thing (tried it first solo and got it to like 60%. I'd have completely soloed it if I wasn't full dps with limited healing though) and as a group you can do it with less than 4 or 3 even. The only thing that does prepare in any way is the usage of lfg and the group feeling but you can already do that while pugging fractals and actual raids. Considering that you can do some raid bosses with only 5 people I think this needs still a bit of tuning. If you want to get prepared for raiding you're better off with wing 4 bosses like Cairn or the Mursaat Overseer for example.Tried to do the strike mission with a fully raid optimized squad (you know, these typical raid lfg pugging groups) and it was total overkill. You could even do that with just two bearbow rangers without problem. The only thing needing "skill" is the jumping puzzle which you can skip if someone already did it.

@"Weindrasi.3805" said:None of the above options really hit on my opinion. I'm a non-raider, and I'm on the fence. I will never be interested in actual raids, because I can't be bothered to upgrade my gear beyond exotics--upgrading gear is just SO BORING for me.I am not especially interested in strike missions RIGHT NOW, but it's too early to form my final opinion. I'll try the one that's out at the moment, and go from there. If the content is really fun, that would make me more interested. Or, if there are rewards offered such as rare armor, weapon, and mount skins--that would make me interested, even if the content doesn't.However, if strike missions go in the direction of raids, where teams only accept players with ascended/legendary armor, then absolutely nothing can make me interested enough to go through the boring awful hell that is upgrading my gear.

Raids are easily doable in exotic gears and it's possible to prepare apug ready-build for 10-15g . Ascended is mainly required by high-end statics and speedrunners.Here's an example of what a cheapo build can do.

@Weindrasi.3805 said:None of the above options really hit on my opinion. I'm a non-raider, and I'm on the fence. I will never be interested in actual raids, because I can't be bothered to upgrade my gear beyond exotics--upgrading gear is just SO BORING for me.I am not especially interested in strike missions RIGHT NOW, but it's too early to form my final opinion. I'll try the one that's out at the moment, and go from there. If the content is really fun, that would make me more interested. Or, if there are rewards offered such as rare armor, weapon, and mount skins--that would make me interested, even if the content doesn't.However, if strike missions go in the direction of raids, where teams only accept players with ascended/legendary armor, then absolutely nothing can make me interested enough to go through the boring awful hell that is upgrading my gear.

most training guilds... only ask for exotic and if possible ascended accessories(which are easy to get via LS3.)

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:None of the above options really hit on my opinion. I'm a non-raider, and I'm on the fence. I will never be interested in actual raids, because I can't be bothered to upgrade my gear beyond exotics--upgrading gear is just SO BORING for me.I am not especially interested in strike missions RIGHT NOW, but it's too early to form my final opinion. I'll try the one that's out at the moment, and go from there. If the content is really fun, that would make me more interested. Or, if there are rewards offered such as rare armor, weapon, and mount skins--that would make me interested, even if the content doesn't.However, if strike missions go in the direction of raids, where teams only accept players with ascended/legendary armor, then absolutely nothing can make me interested enough to go through the boring awful hell that is upgrading my gear.

most training guilds... only ask for exotic and if possible ascended accessories(which are easy to get via LS3.)

Really the one thing to go for is ascended weapons should you play DPS, as beyond stat increases they feature a higher base damage to get modified by all your damage modifiers, netting a ~6% damage increase on it's own.

Meanwhile set of armor, consisting of 6 times as many ascended pieces to get on the other hand is less than a 2% increase in damage.Trinkets/back also add around as much as a single Weapon altogether.

So just getting an ascended weapon is a good place to start as well as very obtainable, then moving to trinkets, then armor.