Expectations and Reality

ScyeRynn.4218

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

Reality -
The update has a decent chance of coming way past their intended release time and may not even be live at all tomorrow, making your special day off a potential waste.

@Ashen.2907 said:When was the last time that a content patch given a definite launch date didnt make that date?

This thread doesn't mention anything about them missing dates in the past. It points out the issue with certain expectations, including the possibility of missing announced dates in the future. They are very careful not to announce a release date they won't make, but that didn't stop them from releasing content that was unplayable. Releasing an episode in the evening on the day it was announced to be released is slick, brave, and completely disappointing. Releasing follow up content that can't even be played? Just ridiculous.

Reality -
The update has a decent chance of coming way past their intended release time and may not even be live at all tomorrow, making your special day off a potential waste.

Really.

The very first point was about missing scheduled release time and/or date. Establishing that as the reality rather than a timely arrival as the expectation can only be determined or predicted based on past behavior.

Yup. Their past releases have been late. The possibility of them missing an announced date will be their next achievement. Not looking forward to adding it to the list of failures.

Out of the past 85 Releases, exactly how many have been late?

@Knighthonor.4061 said:New Core Weapons and Sea Weapons on Land seem like a very minor addition that can greatly improve the gameplay and replayability of the game. Far easier to do than just a whole new map and expansion or anything like that.

Mate you can jump in and say this in how ever many threads you want.It wont make it true for everyone or more likely to be implemented

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Reality -

@Ashen.2907 said:When was the last time that a content patch given a definite launch date didnt make that date?

This thread doesn't mention anything about them missing dates in the past. It points out the issue with certain expectations, including the possibility of missing announced dates in the future. They are very careful not to announce a release date they won't make, but that didn't stop them from releasing content that was unplayable. Releasing an episode in the evening on the day it was announced to be released is slick, brave, and completely disappointing. Releasing follow up content that can't even be played? Just ridiculous.

Reality -

Really.

The very first point was about missing scheduled release time and/or date. Establishing that as the reality rather than a timely arrival as the expectation can only be determined or predicted based on past behavior.

Yup. Their past releases have been late. The possibility of them missing an announced date will be their next achievement. Not looking forward to adding it to the list of failures.

As they don't give release times (or dates) it's difficult to say but I can think of some releases that you could say were late in season 4, episode 2 was delayed maybe a couple of weeks due to bugs, episode 3 was delayed a month or so due to some kind of internal reorganisation, episode 5 which was delayed due to Christmas, a balance patch was delayed due to the layoffs. These are all acknowledged delays where the studio posted explanations for the delays. Episode 6 was also probably delayed due to the layoffs but I don't remember any post where they said it was delayed so for all I know it arrived on time.

@Blocki.4931 said:When has an LS release ever not met their timeline? They all release at the same time. 6/7 PM my time is patch time, 0 exceptions. Your first point is completely null.

A bug in the system comes to mind (and when it did release, it was extremely buggy). Also ls4 ep 3, where nobody could access kourna because blish's portal was bugged. I femember ls4 ep 1 having a release delay too...

@Linken.6345 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:New Core Weapons and Sea Weapons on Land seem like a very minor addition that can greatly improve the gameplay and replayability of the game. Far easier to do than just a whole new map and expansion or anything like that.

Mate you can jump in and say this in how ever many threads you want.It wont make it true for everyone or more likely to be implemented

Agreed. I like how it is thought that such an implementation would be very minor.

Well I was very pleased with this update! the Area is stunning , the events are different but fun ... the concert was the most fun I had in gw2 in years!I can only hope to see more of this being put into the game.

Truly amazing work Anet <3 ... please change ranger staff now so we can use it for more builds :open_mouth:

@"ScyeRynn.4218" said:Keep those expectations realistic and rational. We all know LW and its track record.

My only expectations were to witness a great story and decent dialogue, like we had by the end of the last season. Getting even that little glimpse of hope crushed did not put me in the best of moods to even finish the prologue. I was bored to death by the map's contents that I've seen so far, and the childish level of quality in dialogue that I've encountered so far made me wonder "Why?" since they were doing so much better by the end of LWS4 in that regard.

If you want to earn money through the Gem Store, you need to start making content for adults, not for 12 year olds who likely won't be able to spend 30 bucks on a new mount skin. My personal highlight: Braham vomitting via the comm. Wow, that's quality content. And, "I've got hair again!" No shit, Sherlock.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:If you want to earn money through the Gem Store, you need to start making content for adults, not for 12 year olds who likely won't be able to spend 30 bucks on a new mount skin. My personal highlight: Braham vomitting via the comm. Wow, that's quality content. And, "I've got hair again!" No kitten, Sherlock.Thanks, you're making me feel young again. I haven't been 12 in almost 40 years, but I've truly enjoyed this episode and map, and especially the events that are refreshingly different from the usual "let's beat up the bad guys and be the hero" stuff.

@ScyeRynn.4218 said:

@"Brother.1504" said:Interesting using the word reality . The irony is that your analysis is trying to make a personal subjective reality the norm for everyone.

My personal experience with patch day content releases has been reasonably satisfying. The occasional bug, few connection issues, pretty good track record since beta from my perspective.

This is incorrect. This is the reality of the LW content. Claiming there is only the "occasional bug", a "few connection issues", and that they've had a "pretty good track record since beta" completely ruins everything about your "perspective" and credibility overall.

Not sure you know how reality works. I’m just sharing my direct experience. Living World releases have been reasonably satisfying from my perspective. That said I have never ever had a precursor drop for me. That doesn’t mean precursor drops do not exist.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"ScyeRynn.4218" said:Keep those expectations realistic and rational. We all know LW and its track record.

My only expectations were to witness a great story and decent dialogue, like we had by the end of the last season. Getting even that little glimpse of hope crushed did not put me in the best of moods to even finish the prologue. I was bored to death by the map's contents that I've seen so far, and the childish level of quality in dialogue that I've encountered so far made me wonder "Why?" since they were doing so much better by the end of LWS4 in that regard.

If you want to earn money through the Gem Store, you need to start making content for
adults
, not for 12 year olds who likely won't be able to spend 30 bucks on a new mount skin. My personal highlight: Braham vomitting via the comm. Wow, that's quality content. And, "I've got hair again!" No kitten, Sherlock.

You are focusing a lot on that one bit of dialogue. Whilst some find it amusing and some do not, there is a reason for Braham to be out of his head drunk. It's also one bit in an otherwise well constructed series of dialogues which will come later. There's a lot of set ups and links being established to prior lore and what will occur later in the Saga. Some of it less overt than what we are used to and some of it set up via ambient dialogue as you wander round the map. One bit of drunken rambling doesn't make or break the rest of the episode.

Personally I found the entire the narrative and most of the dialogue superior to the end of LS4 - the last 2 episodes of which were pretty dire for me and I have a cautious optimism for what is to come, assuming they can push the scope out a bit

You will get your "grown up" narrative and you will get it by the end of this episode

@Drakz.7051 said:It's GW 2 so I have not expected much since HoT. When we didn't get Dervish and Paragon as elite specs then the slap in the face that was Anet adding Dervish and Paragon enemies was the last straw.

I understand the disappointment that you share with other players in this matter; however, to me, this is backward thinking. In my opinion, it is better for the game to move forward with regards to elite specs rather than bring something from GW1 which would (mostly) serve only for nostalgia. But, to each their own.

@"Rasimir.6239" said:Thanks, you're making me feel young again. I haven't been 12 in almost 40 years, but I've truly enjoyed this episode and map, and especially the events that are refreshingly different from the usual "let's beat up the bad guys and be the hero" stuff.

The "12 year olds" comment was referring to the open world dialogue, not to any of the events, though. ;)

In any case, it was a decent episode, even with some of the lowbrow dialogue (I don't need to have obvious things explained to me by some NPC, and I certainly prefer a more mature tone in general). The ending, though somewhat predictable, was nicely done, and I have high hopes for the next story episode. And yes, the map was beauitifully designed, and once I got over myself :p I could even enjoy some of the events (I have my favorites, while others I don't find particularly compelling).

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Reality -

Reality -

Really.

There are 21 LW episodes in their new release cadence, not 85. Over half have been delayed before announcing, a quarter delayed past release time, most contained significant bugs, and at least 2 were unplayable because of these bugs.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:You were incorrect.

Unfortunately, I wasn't. Don't confuse expectation with statement. There is a difference between saying an episode WILL be late and that it could or will likely be late. This is solved by actually reading the thread. As such, they released the episode on time with few bugs, yet the episode still continued the same formula and pattern of quality: Repetitive and scarce content stretched thin, with filler and redundant time usage.

All it did was introduce one map, more Charr characters, and a hint of where the storyline may be going. We have more forced events. More useless, long past his expiration date Braham, more forced and unfunny attempts at humor, more cringy dialogue, everything is just rehashed and reheated from the last framework of episodes. No masteries, no game changing content. Just more of the same except for one alteration to raiding that makes it slightly more accessible, but still has the same issues. Still have to wait 3-4 months for the first actual episode and I expect much more of the same.