Bound by Blood: crash reports

I downloaded the patch last night but I have not been able to actually play. The game crashes before I can even do anything. It will load me into my character then crash and give me a pop-up window to report my crash but now it is just closing it all out before I can even press "send". So, I am trying a re-install just out of curiosity and hoping maybe that does something if it is on my end. :\

• ArenaNet Staff

We noticed that some Mac players are still using the old, unsupported Transgaming client and some crashes seem to originate from that. If you're in this case, please follow the instructions shown here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87651/macos-client-update#latest

Hey, just adding my report to this list! My game has been crashing all day repeatedly! I have not gone into the new zones (the new story areas) but i do have the current game (POF). Also as soon as my husband got home..his game has been crashing left and right! We both play on windows 10 computers. Up until today neither of us have had this issue.

@"xizenroku.8930" said:I downloaded the patch last night but I have not been able to actually play. The game crashes before I can even do anything. It will load me into my character then crash and give me a pop-up window to report my crash but now it is just closing it all out before I can even press "send". So, I am trying a re-install just out of curiosity and hoping maybe that does something if it is on my end. :\

So, the re-install did nothing and actually crashes itself as well. It seemingly downloaded the game even though it crashed but still wants to download something when I open the launcher. I can hit play while it is doing that and it loaded me in. I was in for maybe half a minute then it made my whole computer screen go black with only the ability to move my cursor around but nothing to click on. I had to force my laptop to shut down twice as the first time, it turned back on with the same black screen. My laptop works otherwise once it turns on with the screen. I have no idea what the problem is. :/

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:We noticed that some Mac players are still using the old, unsupported Transgaming client and some crashes seem to originate from that. If you're in this case, please follow the instructions shown here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87651/macos-client-update#latest

From the link, this was my case --> "If you were using the current Guild Wars 2 client for Mac, but haven’t upgraded to MacOS Catalina, simply launch your client and it will update automatically to the 64-bit client!" Also, the old 32-bit client, as well as old transgaming preference and cache files, were deleted from my computer.

Yet I'm still getting fairly frequent crashes since the patch: some with the "Send report to Anet" overlay that subsequently closes the client, some with black-screen or psychedelic magic-eye screens that require me to force-quit the client.

My first step was to confirm that I'm using the updated client.

Using "Get Info" on Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app displays a March 2017 creation date, and a June 2017 modified date. Since my 64-bit Mac client was freshly downloaded from Anet on Nov. 2018, it's evident that the 2017 version was Anet's previous most recent version of the client at the time that I'd downloaded in 2018.

So do the dates indicate that my client failed to auto-update? Or is this just a case of old metadata associated with the newest client?

How do I verify that this auto-update occurred and that I'm actually using the new 64-bit Mac client?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Bellefon.1259 said:

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:We noticed that some Mac players are still using the old, unsupported Transgaming client and some crashes seem to originate from that. If you're in this case, please follow the instructions shown here:

From the link, this was my case --> "If you were using the current Guild Wars 2 client for Mac, but haven’t upgraded to MacOS Catalina, simply launch your client and it will update automatically to the 64-bit client!" Also, the old 32-bit client, as well as old transgaming preference and cache files, were deleted from my computer.

Yet I'm still getting fairly frequent crashes since the patch: some with the "Send report to Anet" overlay that subsequently closes the client, some with black-screen or psychedelic magic-eye screens that require me to force-quit the client.

Using "Get Info" on Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app displays a March 2017 creation date, and a June 2017 modified date. Since my 64-bit Mac client was freshly downloaded from Anet on Nov. 2018, it's evident that the 2017 version was Anet's previous most recent version of the client at the time that I'd downloaded in 2018.

So do the dates indicate that my client failed to auto-update? Or is this just a case of old metadata associated with the newest client?

How do I verify that this auto-update occurred and that I'm actually using the new 64-bit Mac client?

Our engine programmer James Fulop wanted to share this with you, let us know what you see based on these instructions:

“Get Info” on the .app isn’t going to provide an accurate date of the last patch time. All of the patching happens on files within the .app.If you are using the 64-bit client, and can see the launcher page with the Play button, then you have patched forward successfully and have done everything you need to regarding Apple’s 32-bit deprecation. Guild Wars 2 does not allow people with an outdated client to play.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can run the following command in the terminal. (note that your installation path may be slightly different from mine)

file /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/bin64/CoherentUI_Host

The output should look like

/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/bin64/CoherentUI_Host: Mach-0 64-bit executable x86_64

if it says i386 instead of x86_64, then something is going wrong ?

We have also replaced the download for the 64-bit client build available on our website this week, so I recommend people try to re-install from that if they can’t get up to the Play button launcher screen.

Regarding the graphical problems, please report in screenshots when your client has the black screen or psychedelic eye-magic. A current workaround that often fixes these graphical problems, without restarting the client, is to resize the window if in windowed mode, or change resolutions in Graphics Options if you are in full screen.

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:We noticed that some Mac players are still using the old, unsupported Transgaming client and some crashes seem to originate from that. If you're in this case, please follow the instructions shown here:

Our engine programmer James Fulop wanted to share this with you, let us know what you see based on these instructions:

“Get Info” on the .app isn’t going to provide an accurate date of the last patch time. All of the patching happens on files within the .app.If you are using the 64-bit client, and can see the launcher page with the Play button, then you have patched forward successfully and have done everything you need to regarding Apple’s 32-bit deprecation. Guild Wars 2 does not allow people with an outdated client to play.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can run the following command in the terminal. (note that your installation path may be slightly different from mine)

file /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/bin64/CoherentUI_Host

The output should look like

/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/bin64/CoherentUI_Host: Mach-0 64-bit executable x86_64

if it says i386 instead of x86_64, then something is going wrong ?

We have also replaced the download for the 64-bit client build available on our website this week, so I recommend people try to re-install from that if they can’t get up to the Play button launcher screen.

Regarding the graphical problems, please report in screenshots when your client has the black screen or psychedelic eye-magic. A current workaround that often fixes these graphical problems, without restarting the client, is to resize the window if in windowed mode, or change resolutions in Graphics Options if you are in full screen.

Thanks, that helped confirm that I’m running the updated client, as I’m both getting to the Play button on the launcher, and the Terminal command returned that exact result: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64. So I can rule out an outdated client as the problem.

I’ll try to make screenshots of the crazy screens as they occur.