Gem store hurts PVE rewards?

alberte.2685

This is an example of a completely biased poll to start with and so I won't answer it.

I mean there's this option. Without the gem store the game wouldn't be funded and there would be no in game PvE rewards at all. But I don't see that option there. This poll simplifies some pretty complex issues, without any context.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why a lot of people tend to overlook the fact that you can purchase gems with in-game gold. I freely obtained dozens of outfits, infinite gathering tools, some gliders and pet skins, musical instruments, lots of toys, and more from the BLTP free of charge. In a lot of ways I actually prefer this model as it allows me to play the game how I want and treat myself to something nice without having to work a 2nd job repeating an activity I don't like to "earn" my reward.

Well i log in the game on daily basis just to check whats new in gem store. I dont have even started Hot and just get raptor from PoF. There is no value for me to go trough boring average cliche story with 0 impact on it as MC . There is no point doing all the PvE stuff cuz there is not enough interesting rewards. So for me is just PvP or WvW,oh wait its not . So i join game,check store and then slack in Divinity Reach and do other stuff on Pc. Maybe if crafters can sell crafted top items on marketplace that might be cool,i personaly hate crafting it reminds me my real work.

@Tyncale.1629 said:

@"Substance E.4852" said:

Most of the pve skins in the game were part of the game's launch 7 years ago and many look so bad they could be gw1 gear

Modern BLC weapons often have higher poly counts than an entire set of vanilla armorTrue. Some very early armor sets like Winged and Feathered armor actually look like they could come from the BLC, but you can just see Anet thinking, "yes, those looked way too good for free skins, let's dial down the poly's and Art bigtime in the future of the game". Goes for weapons too. And that's how you wind up with ugly low poly sets like
You may or may not like the "clawy" theme but it is obvious that this is not a BLC quality weapon.

Most of the map-themed weapons are like that: the Theme itself is often nice and fitting but the Art and polycount is horrible.

the chakk weapon's biggest problem is one that anet runs into frequently in that they put too much consideration on the "theme" and less on the actual design

A weapon set that looks like it was made from chakk claws and mandibles would look great (think monster hunter gear)What we got was a bunch of gear that look like you threw a normal weapon and a chakk into "The Fly" teleporter and this is what popped out

Only the focus which is just a detached chakk "hand" really got it right on that one

If the gemstore didn't exist, all of these outfits, minis and mount skins would be made as PvE rewards. That would push players to do a specific thing in order to get a specific reward, giving prestige to each skin and encouraging people to explore the game. However that would require some other mean of monetization for the game, most likely a monthly subscription. I would prefer that, but I see why they're not doing it.