Initial Thoughts on the story

White Kitsunee.4620

I am less impressed. There are many things I liked such as the Flame Legion group event. I was confused by it at first, didn't understand the mechanic of dropping the torch so others could run through the flames, but when I did understand it, I was struck by how well it demonstrated a way to think of the Flame Legion's group ideals. If an individual can't make it to the finish, spend the last flame you have to give the person behind you a better chance. I hope that was intentional. When I realized the mechanic I had to stop and say wow.

I don't understand how easy it was for a doom's day weapon, Braham's bow, to go missing after we just had the Dragon's Blood Spear be such an important plot element as a doom's day weapon. Again, Tyrians learn nothing unless it furthers the plot.

What is Bangar's plan with Braham's bow? Threaten Jormag with destruction when that spells destruction for Tyria? Will he threaten to cause him pain when that will trivialize Jormag as a threat? Offer Jormag the bow leaving Bangar without any way of controlling Jormag? Create a paradox that only Aurene can swoop in and solve?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Hesacon.8735 said:I don't get the sense Jormag is manipulating Banger. I read it more as he wants to be equally powerful to The Pact.

The Pact has an allied Elder Dragon, so Bangor needs an allied Elder Dragon in an arms race. If he can slay Jormag and claim the magic for the Charr, nobody is stronger than the Charr.

He's acting totally rationally, for what his goals are.

I don’t think he’s acting rationally - Elder Dragons can’t be tamed or controlled. Don’t you think it’s funny that his objective (to be in a position where he has enough power to rival the Pact and/or Aurene) dovetails nicely with Jormag’s presumed priorities - namely to put the brakes on the dragon-killers that Aurene and the Pact represent? Given that Jormag is the most subtle Elder Dragon, I doubt that that’s a coincidence.

@Tamias.7059 said:

@Hesacon.8735 said:I don't get the sense Jormag is manipulating Banger. I read it more as he wants to be equally powerful to The Pact.

The Pact has an allied Elder Dragon, so Bangor needs an allied Elder Dragon in an arms race. If he can slay Jormag and claim the magic for the Charr, nobody is stronger than the Charr.

I don’t think he’s acting rationally - Elder Dragons can’t be tamed or controlled. Don’t you think it’s funny that his objective (to be in a position where he has enough power to rival the Pact and/or Aurene) dovetails nicely with Jormag’s presumed priorities - namely to put the brakes on the dragon-killers that Aurene and the Pact represent? Given that Jormag is the most subtle Elder Dragon, I doubt that that’s a coincidence.

He's not trying to tame or control Jormag. He saw the Kralk's power can go to Aurene and intends to do what Charr do best and fight a war against Jormag.

I'm not saying he's smart, he's going to get slapped hard and do a Scarlet style thing where he triggers an Elder Dragon. But he legitimately thinks he can win, and winning wins puts the Charr ahead of the other races.

@"Psientist.6437" said:I don't understand how easy it was for a doom's day weapon, Braham's bow, to go missing after we just had the Dragon's Blood Spear be such an important plot element as a doom's day weapon. Again, Tyrians learn nothing unless it furthers the plot.

What is Bangar's plan with Braham's bow? Threaten Jormag with destruction when that spells destruction for Tyria? Will he threaten to cause him pain when that will trivialize Jormag as a threat? Offer Jormag the bow leaving Bangar without any way of controlling Jormag? Create a paradox that only Aurene can swoop in and solve?

Braham's bow isn't really a doomsday weapon, but instead an enchanted longbow. It's like how the spears aren't really "super-weapons" besides when facing branded. Otherwise it's just a really nice spear. Pact equipment has shifted to being dragonsblood weapons, but that doesn't mean they are any better unless the foe is branded. And we've gotten implications in this episode that Aurene is actively sweeping up and down the brand, cleansing it.

I think Bangar is intended to use the bow to awaken Jormag (notice how Ryland was kinda drilling Braham for information specific to Jormag, and his own actions), and somehow control Jormag with the aspect of having one of few weapons known to deal serious damage to the elder dragon.

@Tamias.7059 said:

@"Hesacon.8735" said:I don't get the sense Jormag is manipulating Banger. I read it more as he wants to be equally powerful to The Pact.

I think the aspect that Bangar isn't quite understanding is the connection between Aurene and the commander(and somewhat now, Caithe). He comes across as if it's a "master-pet" type relationship, almost like a ranger and their animal companions maybe. So he's seeking out his own pet, his own super-weapon. But he doesn't understand is that the commander has been mentally linked to Aurene since... before she hatched even, and has influenced her personality and manner.

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I agree. I'd like to know more about Efnar. Honestly, he seems a bit
too
nice, in all honesty. But listening to the various ambient dialogue, so do the rest of the Flame Legion there. The only one that felt like traditional Flame Legion was one comment during the fist story instance, so I hope to see more of a strife in the Flame Legion as we see them become more modernized to the standards of the other three Legions. Not an outright "they're opposing so we must kill them" but just voicing difference of opinions kind of setup.

I don't find it strange that the Flame refugees are nice. All we ever encountered were the hate filled zealots and the soldiers who followed their orders. It's probably like comparing the Taliban to the average citizen in Afghanistan--the average citizen just wants to have a peaceful, productive life. Now that all or most of the Flame zealots have died in their civil war, we are seeing the average-citizen Flame Legion and the soldiers who are no longer under zealot rule.I do think there should be some differences of opinion voiced. For instance, I'm sure the Flame Legion shamans feel like the other three legions are sort-changing themselves by rejecting spirituality and magic--that the Flame Legion isn't the only group who has "sins of the past" to make up for.

Also, there's going to be some Flame Legion women who want nothing to do with the military, and will probably refuse to become soldiers. I'm sure for some of them--watching the soldiers come home maimed or not at all--being a soldier is terrifying. They'd be looked down on from the females in the other Legions, and would have to stand up for their decisions.

Then there's the whole "all your children belong to Blood Legion now." More than anything else, that is going to cause a LOT of resentment.

I was reading it in a similar way. The zealots and military groups that wanted total control have been weakened and/or wiped out by the other legions and forces. We are seeing the reserves and civilians now. You can find a flame legion female whose totally uneasy about the fact of being in the military, and other bits. I'd say these are the flame legion groups who are flame legion, but perhaps a bit more rational. Tired of constant warfare so they are willing to try something to be at peace with the other legions. The groups who females ran agriculture and civilian aspects, but simply weren't military.

I really enjoyed the storyline.

Ruinbringer is very well made in my opinion. Not a generic evil villain but a more believable one. He seems like a political hard-liner, but not necessarily a next spawn of devil. His dialogues are very well written and executed.

My only problem is the info we got on Flame Legion. It seems like they went from super bigoted to super enlightened almost overnight. I would like a bit of background on this new Flame Legion and their deal with other legion (especially cub tribute system).

But I have a few question for those who are more lore savy, especially when it comes to GW1. First, why are there Ascalonian ghosts and Ascalonian ruins this far north? Second, is Blood Keep supposed to be Blood capital city? Because the whole map feels like an outpost, not a glorious capital.

@kasoki.5180 said:I really enjoyed the storyline.

Ruinbringer is very well made in my opinion. Not a generic evil villain but a more believable one. He seems like a political hard-liner, but not necessarily a next spawn of devil. His dialogues are very well written and executed.

My only problem is the info we got on Flame Legion. It seems like they went from super bigoted to super enlightened almost overnight. I would like a bit of background on this new Flame Legion and their deal with other legion (especially cub tribute system).

But I have a few question for those who are more lore savy, especially when it comes to GW1. First, why are there Ascalonian ghosts and Ascalonian ruins this far north? Second, is Blood Keep supposed to be Blood capital city? Because the whole map feels like an outpost, not a glorious capital.

It's been 7 years. Gaheron was killed in Citadel of Flame, back in core Tyria. Since then, they've had no real leader and been at constant war with the rest of the charr, suffering heavy losses. The non-zealots are tired, and want a chance for peace.

Can't answer the GW1 part, never played that.

@kasoki.5180 said:I really enjoyed the storyline.

In Guild Wars 1 there was the Ebon Vanguard scouting the region and a few quests to kill flame legion there with Anton and a few others.

Bangar is an interesting character, to say the least. Going off what I've seen so far from the story I'm thinking he's going to ally himself with Jormag. Bangar was against the treaty with the humans. Smodur pushed for the treaty not Bangar. Now that we've bested 3 elder dragons and a god Bangar is starting to see his chance to drive a wedge in the treaty. Keep in mind the pact is only a conglomerate of the 3 orders of Tyria, and they've taken heavy losses over the past several years against the dragons. Losses that lead to us having to recruit literal pirates and outcast Charr to supplement the ranks to fight Kralk. The pact is weak and Bangar sees his chance to push the Charr who were against the treaty into a frenzy.

It's talked about many times in the prologue how many of the Charr don't know what to do with themselves now. Their old enemy the humans are at peace with them now, and Kralk has been defeated. Charr are born and bred to fight from the day they are born. Now they have no one to turn those weapons and skills on. It's just like a modern day soldier who is trained to kill in a war and comes home with no war to fight and no idea what to do anymore. If someone gives them a new war to fight they'll jump on it gladly because they don't know anything else.

Bangar is using that to his advantage, he wants the Charr whipped into a frenzy to fight. But he also knows as long as Aurene goes unchecked he'll lose. Bangar has, to my knowledge at least, never lost a battle. He's very tactical, he doesn't want to risk open conflict without some way to answer the Aurene problem. Because lets face it, Aurene will protect the Commander, if someone or something threatens the Commander then Aurene will respond. So he knows he can't force a fight openly without help. Jormag is that help. I'm thinking he's going to attempt to subdue Jormag and try to get the dragon under his control at least to some extent, which is why they needed the bow. Its the only weapon known right now that could harm Jormag.

To put it into another perspective, think of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Where the East Indies Trading company basically enslaves Davey Jones to do their bidding. That's the type of thing that I think Bangar is trying to pull off, put Jormag in a position where he has no choice to but to help further Bangars desires. Although I don't think Jormag is going to just roll over, I have a feeling Jormag is going to "temper" Bangar and his followers like the Icebrood we see in the Far Shiverpeaks and its going to give him basically an army that he can move south.

@"kasoki.5180" said:I really enjoyed the storyline.

Flame Legion has been out of the picture for a very long time. In story/dungeons/hearts we have weakened or wiped out entire groups of their more fanatical and oppressive groups. Then you have the groups that joined the Molten alliance also get wiped out. While they retreated and weren't more of a threat for a while, as others have said it's probably a case of "We are dealing with the reserves, the civilians. The ones who weren't totally crazy." Another factor is remember, this is the shaman who accepted and pushed for the truce with the other legions, and is viewed as one of the big remaining leaders of the Flame legion. Of course we'd see more people of his faction then otherwise.

As for other, Doomlore Shrine was above an underground ruins of an cathedral. "Cathedral of Flame" was the dungeon name. It was filled with ghosts and ascalon style construction. Ascalon humans did extend quite far north with their holdings, it's just those fell pretty quickly to the charr.

And Blood Keep? Well one thing to consider is that just until recently, Kralkatorrik's former napping spot was probably filled with brand-storm and branded, causing trouble all the way to the keep walls if we consider the brand stompers as an indication. It could be that it feels more like an outpost because blood was more involved in constant warfare then construction.

This a spoiler thread? I think so... so here goes...

They story taught me that Ryland's main charisma/personality trait is dignity, then the dignity option is what keeps your cover and prevents combat in the next sequences. That is how you combine storytelling with in game dialog mechanics. Thanks for that, please do more interesting things like that..... It is a very direct, but subtle way to teach the player about a character... Although the personality traits aren't used for the player character anymore, it is a nifty use of the personality options.

As for Bangar. To me, his demeanor makes him seem like he is going to be quite passive in most of whatever is coming (being passive, or just tactical with how he wields influence). He speaks, but not for himself. Between Bangar and Ryland, I am leaning towards Ryland holding more power, but Bangar, allowing his authority to be used. Ryland seems to be the dignified and loved prince of the charr (leading his people through the Shiverpeaks to salva... no I didn't play GW1 but...). For me, it is hard to say who is leading who, and if Bangar is playing some sort of other angle on the situation. He seems to have sized up Rytlock, and confirmed that Rytlock isn't out for blood or power. (and if Rytlock did harm Bangar, it would have added more fuel to the fire anyways). So Bangar may be up to something more than reflecting the will of the charr. Sentimentality.... is just an excuse.

And if I where to take the hazzard to guess. Jormag in, the Icebrood Saga trailer, is making an appeal to honor/dignity in it's speech, and is in fact targeting Ryland and charr who feel threatened by Aurene. The game keeps on re-enforcing that Ryland is well loved... so I expect him to matter more.

@Arden.7480 said:Guys, do you think Almorra Soulkeeper also joined the rebellion?

She left Grothmar to go check the status of Jormag if I remember correctly - did she use it as an excuse to really join Bangar?

No. Bangar is full on renegade material now, and Almorra was arguing with him over her human soldiers beings assaulted. Her reasoning is pretty legit, and in all honesty she didn't need to make such up if she was just attending Bangar's rally - she could have proclaimed that she was there for the festivities like everyone else.

It's just too much to make Almorra into an unexpected villain out of left field.

@perilisk.1874 said:While they describe it as Lovecraftian, it's really more Tolkienesque -- a promise of power that corrupts the soul and eventually even the body. Call him Bangarmir. Presumably the season will end by carrying Jormag to a volcano and tossing him in.

Bangarumon.

@"Hesacon.8735" said:I don't get the sense Jormag is manipulating Banger. I read it more as he wants to be equally powerful to The Pact.

Except for the whole "the world will die if another Elder Dragon is killed" bit, if his goal is to kill Jormag. Unless he found and subdued some scion somewhere.

@kasoki.5180 said:My only problem is the info we got on Flame Legion. It seems like they went from super bigoted to super enlightened almost overnight. I would like a bit of background on this new Flame Legion and their deal with other legion (especially cub tribute system).

Not exactly overnight. We hadn't encountered any Flame Legion for 6 years.

@kasoki.5180 said:But I have a few question for those who are more lore savy, especially when it comes to GW1. First, why are there Ascalonian ghosts and Ascalonian ruins this far north? Second, is Blood Keep supposed to be Blood capital city? Because the whole map feels like an outpost, not a glorious capital.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Cathedral_of_Flames

During the war with Ascalon, the charr ransacked and pillaged and brought spoils of war up north. The souls of the dead were tied to the treasures, and one of them was a powerful necromancer in life (similar to Bria in Iron Marches); Murakai bound the souls to her servitude with the intention of revenge on charr (and, supposedly, all other life).

As for the ruins, three possibilities:

1. Charr brought ruins up that far north, as part of their spoils of war, as back in GW1 they had no true architecture of their own, at least in those lands, and needed something to house the spoils of war.
  2. Some seem to think it's evidence that humans of Ascalon reached that far north. Though I disagree.
  3. They're not Ascalonian, but generic ruins. Wouldn't be the first time ArenaNet used the "Ascalonian" ruin assets in a place that was 100% not Ascalon (e.g., Fort Koga in Brisban Wildlands).

I was pretty impressed so far.

As someone who is not exactly a charr fan, that surprised me. Though at the same time, it's sort of exactly why I was impressed. GW2 has historically managed to pass the buck for the charr's warlike ways, usually by heaping it on the Flame Legion even while supposedly friendly charr make comments about wanting to kill the other races because it just appeals to them.

In this chapter, however, the charr who was most like that (and not Flame Legion) turned out to be the villain. The rest of the charr are actually showing growth, while still having a distinct and varied culture. That's the sort of thing I used to really love about GW1.

I found myself surprisingly ready to accept the Flame Legion too. I think maybe because, despite it perhaps feeling a bit extreme, there's a logic to it. They've been ostracized for so long that hate for them is going to be institutionalized among the rest of the charr, even when they aren't doing horrible things. And since this chapter is also admitting through Bangar and the other defectors that the other Legions definitely have their own dark side, finding that the Flame Legion has a good side makes a lot of sense.

As for Ryland, I'm pretty suspicious of him. I didn't give it much thought until the characters gave a speech about definitely bringing him back. While that could certainly be a way of reassuring us that he'll be saved, it set off a lot of red flags for me that he's the actual mastermind, not Bangar. I can totally imagine a situation in which we defeat Bangar fairly early on and get Ryland alone, and we're all like "now you can come home!" and Ryland goes "why should I, Bangar was acting on my plan all along!"

The only thing that really disappointed me in this prologue was the treatment of Braham. The story certainly has time to make up for it, but it made me really uncomfortable that it not only pretty much exclusively used "norn getting drunk" as his characterization, but it being an easily exploitable vice is a major plot catalyst. I liked the interactions between Braham and Ryland at first, I felt that Braham could really use a friend like him. I wish it could have stayed that way for multiple reasons.

A question I am left with is whether or not Bangar's forces knew that Jormag was clearly helping them. Those storms and elementals were awfully convenient and the charr didn't all suddenly freeze to death like we would have. Is Bangar already working with Jormag and his story just an excuse to lure others to his side? Is Jormag getting involved because he knows he'll be able to convert them? Or is there something else going on, like Ryland already working with Jormag without Bangar knowing?

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@"kasoki.5180" said:I really enjoyed the storyline.

Flame Legion has been out of the picture for a very long time. In story/dungeons/hearts we have weakened or wiped out entire groups of their more fanatical and oppressive groups. Then you have the groups that joined the Molten alliance also get wiped out. While they retreated and weren't more of a threat for a while, as others have said it's probably a case of "We are dealing with the reserves, the civilians. The ones who weren't totally crazy." Another factor is remember, this is the shaman who accepted and pushed for the truce with the other legions, and is viewed as one of the big remaining leaders of the Flame legion. Of course we'd see more people of his faction then otherwise.

Even though I agree that passage of time plays a factor, a bit more of a nuanced explanation ingame would go a long way. Especially how hardcore Flame Legion was in the recent past.Alot of what you wrote is a logical assumption. Buy I still think we need a proper explanation.

@Kalavier.1097 said:And Blood Keep? Well one thing to consider is that just until recently, Kralkatorrik's former napping spot was probably filled with brand-storm and branded, causing trouble all the way to the keep walls if we consider the brand stompers as an indication. It could be that it feels more like an outpost because blood was more involved in constant warfare then construction.

Wouldn't that be a reason to relocate capital rather than keep it underdeveloped?I mean, Iron Legion was at war with humans and ghosts and they still menaged to build an impressive capital city.

There's a possibility that the whole thing is a plan by Bangar to get rid of the renegades from the inside.The plan would be: Round up most of the charrs extremists around a charismatic figure and then send them into an impossible fight (against Jormag). The more damage they could manage to do against the elder dragon, the better.The motivation: Bangar would have seen a new era coming, where the legions would lose their place in the society. Instead of risking a bitter transition period of years and years of charrs against charrs war, he would have opted for offering his soldiers an honorable end. And to give the more moderate elements of the society a free shot at the necessary reforms.

That would probably be an optimist outlook on the character. However we know that he is a very capable leader, that Crecia do trust him to be an honorable charr, and that he seems to have given Ryland an honorable upbringing. So that wouldn't be that far fetched.

@kasoki.5180 said:Wouldn't that be a reason to relocate capital rather than keep it underdeveloped?I mean, Iron Legion was at war with humans and ghosts and they still menaged to build an impressive capital city.Sure, but Iron Legion are the engineers, inventors, and builders of the charr legions. That's kinda their specialty. Blood Legion's specialty is dying on the battlefields. :tongue:

A question I am left with is whether or not Bangar's forces knew that Jormag was clearly helping them. Those storms and elementals were awfully convenient and the charr didn't all suddenly freeze to death like we would have. Is Bangar already working with Jormag and his story just an excuse to lure others to his side? Is Jormag getting involved because he knows he'll be able to convert them? Or is there something else going on, like Ryland already working with Jormag without Bangar knowing?

The implication to me was that Jormag is orchestrating all this from afar, or one of his more powerful minions is. I’d imagine it’s similar to what Mordy did with Scarlet. Manipulating some mortal even in their “slumber,” or it could be they’ve awakened without anyone noticing. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if Jormag had been “faking” slumber somehow.

I have a feeling that Bangor is going to be releasing Drakkor and becoming the new "Savanir" Champion of Drakkor. He will then lead Drakkor and the new Frost legion across Tyria to Hoelbrek to destroy it since the Norn(Sons of Savinir) have failed Jormag .Either Rytlock will die before Ryland or Ryland will be killed before Rytlock. But I do think that it will be Rytlock who dies, giving Sohothin to Ryland. Making Ryland and Braham more like brothers...

@"Rubedo.8769" said:Bangar is an interesting character, to say the least. Going off what I've seen so far from the story I'm thinking he's going to ally himself with Jormag. Bangar was against the treaty with the humans. Smodur pushed for the treaty not Bangar. Now that we've bested 3 elder dragons and a god Bangar is starting to see his chance to drive a wedge in the treaty. Keep in mind the pact is only a conglomerate of the 3 orders of Tyria, and they've taken heavy losses over the past several years against the dragons. Losses that lead to us having to recruit literal pirates and outcast Charr to supplement the ranks to fight Kralk. The pact is weak and Bangar sees his chance to push the Charr who were against the treaty into a frenzy.

It's talked about many times in the prologue how many of the Charr don't know what to do with themselves now. Their old enemy the humans are at peace with them now, and Kralk has been defeated. Charr are born and bred to fight from the day they are born. Now they have no one to turn those weapons and skills on. It's just like a modern day soldier who is trained to kill in a war and comes home with no war to fight and no idea what to do anymore. If someone gives them a new war to fight they'll jump on it gladly because they don't know anything else.

Bangar is using that to his advantage, he wants the Charr kitten into a frenzy to fight. But he also knows as long as Aurene goes unchecked he'll lose. Bangar has, to my knowledge at least, never lost a battle. He's very tactical, he doesn't want to risk open conflict without some way to answer the Aurene problem. Because lets face it, Aurene will protect the Commander, if someone or something threatens the Commander then Aurene will respond. So he knows he can't force a fight openly without help. Jormag is that help. I'm thinking he's going to attempt to subdue Jormag and try to get the dragon under his control at least to some extent, which is why they needed the bow. Its the only weapon known right now that could harm Jormag.

To put it into another perspective, think of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Where the East Indies Trading company basically enslaves Davey Jones to do their bidding. That's the type of thing that I think Bangar is trying to pull off, put Jormag in a position where he has no choice to but to help further Bangars desires. Although I don't think Jormag is going to just roll over, I have a feeling Jormag is going to "temper" Bangar and his followers like the Icebrood we see in the Far Shiverpeaks and its going to give him basically an army that he can move south.

Yeah it be like the destroyers how the shamans tried that and look what happen to them in guild wars 1 the destroyers attacked the flame Legion and Jomag willBanage think he can control only to turn the tables on Banger who would to little to late he doomed the charr legions to a slave master mind who cares not for the legions way of life and will use them till their are no more charr left.

Like how the charr thought they need gods to beat the humans of Ascalon or the ones became the kingdom of Ascalon we saw how that ended they became slaves to a fallen human god who cared not for them but to use them till they were useless to him.