Why MMO Fail?

fewfield.7802

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Personally, I never thought gw2 community is awesome. Not because it has some toxic individuals, every game has those. It is just simple lack the feeling of a community. There is no real reason to interact with people much. You can get a lot of things done without needs to interact. A guild which supposedly be the center of a community building is just a useless LFG like existence here in gw2. Gw2 take all kinds of politics out of the game because they want a "friendly" community but you end up with a superficial community. The gw2 community boost about how social the game is but all that social lack sense of closeness. The community go hype about how amazing the subset of gw2 is (like wvw or raid) but forget that great majority are not. The kind of game design attract and encourage the same kind of people that make up the community. All the nostalgic feelings I had in other mmorpgs, not one or two mmorpgs but a couple, can't be found in this game at all now. The current Gw2 is not a game made to support community but rather people that come and go. Which now I see the real model of the game design. Anet want people to buy gw2 and then leave after you done so they do not have to continue maintain costly infrastructures to support large amount of players.

They’ve actually made it less important by reducing the relative effectiveness of combos from multiple players, along with allowing more and more content to be solo’able.I think megaserver change was way more impactful. Up until that point, i could recognize a lot of players i was doing events with, and some of them recognized me. The same with guilds - inter-guild recognition was better, and not only at the level of the biggest guilds out there. But then all servers got merged, and it all disappeared almost overnight.

The greatest impact to guild is multi-chat. It basically take away the importance of guild completely and transform guild into an LFG existence. At first I was hopeful they would do something to empower the guild even after the multi-chat dropped because of the guild dev team but boom, they drop the guild dev team too. Since then, Gw2 is already walking towards the path of doom. Anet already abandoned gw2 and put it on maintenance mode, a routine development cycle and not innovating the game anymore.

Well, 9 days more to go to the new game.

So you're saying you're not finding anything about the new episode innovative at all?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had the right approach with season 1 to keeping things fresh but because fans complained they abandoned what was an excellent system of transitory content. Fact is they really should have persevered.

For proof, look at the success of Fortnite. Even though the gameplay is much less sophisticated than GW2 or other MMO's - the map changes every couple of weeks - skins come and go, areas come and go and one time events with associated rewards come and go. It's just accepted that If you weren't there and didn't get that rare skin or play during an event, well tough. 250 Million players aren't whining because they missed content, they just focus on playing the latest content because it is understood that it is transitory and NOW is the only time you can play it.

It's also a pretty good formula for a successful in game store that funds the constant development.

Sadly just one of the areas where GW really dropped the ball.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Personally, I never thought gw2 community is awesome. Not because it has some toxic individuals, every game has those. It is just simple lack the feeling of a community. There is no real reason to interact with people much. You can get a lot of things done without needs to interact. A guild which supposedly be the center of a community building is just a useless LFG like existence here in gw2. Gw2 take all kinds of politics out of the game because they want a "friendly" community but you end up with a superficial community. The gw2 community boost about how social the game is but all that social lack sense of closeness. The community go hype about how amazing the subset of gw2 is (like wvw or raid) but forget that great majority are not. The kind of game design attract and encourage the same kind of people that make up the community. All the nostalgic feelings I had in other mmorpgs, not one or two mmorpgs but a couple, can't be found in this game at all now. The current Gw2 is not a game made to support community but rather people that come and go. Which now I see the real model of the game design. Anet want people to buy gw2 and then leave after you done so they do not have to continue maintain costly infrastructures to support large amount of players.

They’ve actually made it less important by reducing the relative effectiveness of combos from multiple players, along with allowing more and more content to be solo’able.I think megaserver change was way more impactful. Up until that point, i could recognize a lot of players i was doing events with, and some of them recognized me. The same with guilds - inter-guild recognition was better, and not only at the level of the biggest guilds out there. But then all servers got merged, and it all disappeared almost overnight.

The greatest impact to guild is multi-chat. It basically take away the importance of guild completely and transform guild into an LFG existence. At first I was hopeful they would do something to empower the guild even after the multi-chat dropped because of the guild dev team but boom, they drop the guild dev team too. Since then, Gw2 is already walking towards the path of doom. Anet already abandoned gw2 and put it on maintenance mode, a routine development cycle and not innovating the game anymore.

So you're saying you're not finding anything about the new episode innovative at all?

It is just a story, what features did it add to the game? It just gonna become part of the many living story maps we already have.

The original living story approach was way more impressive and immersive than now.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

It is just a story, what features did it add to the game? It just gonna become part of the many living story maps we already have.

The original living story approach was way more impressive and immersive than now.

It added strikes for one. I didn't experience season 1 so i wouldn't know. I just see lots of people raving about how fun the metas are in the current season. One of the things i like about this game is that it's almost like Skyrim: there's a lot of different open world activities i can choose from, it's all up to you (and sometimes how many people are around which sucks sometimes.) But on your note of season one, they've alluded they want to take a similar approach.

I mean has WoW innovated at all by your definition? It always had M+ and raids aince the previous expansion. It just added new ones. The azerite stuff is non-account wide chores. What game are you going to and how does it innovate over old content by your definition? I'm curious, maybe i'll take a look. Maybe i won't because the developers will turn out to be just as abusive as WoW in terms of how they treat my time and/or money.

@Daroon.1736 said:They had the right approach with season 1 to keeping things fresh but because fans complained they abandoned what was an excellent system of transitory content. Fact is they really should have persevered.

For proof, look at the success of Fortnite. Even though the gameplay is much less sophisticated than GW2 or other MMO's - the map changes every couple of weeks - skins come and go, areas come and go and one time events with associated rewards come and go. It's just accepted that If you weren't there and didn't get that rare skin or play during an event, well tough. 250 Million players aren't whining because they missed content, they just focus on playing the latest content because it is understood that it is transitory and NOW is the only time you can play it.

It's also a pretty good formula for a successful in game store that funds the constant development.

Wait so are you arguing season 1 was better because it's not repeatable? Not because it actually had better content? That's a tad non sequitur imo. Even in other mmos i can play through old storylines and content. And given how focused maps are on metas, it's entirely possible to not be able to do things based on metas later on when the content goes stale. So you're still kind of getting what you want, but in a roundabout way.

Also fortnite is not an mmo. The only permanent thing you earn are skins and they only mean something when you're playing matches. This is how Mobas got old fast for me and why i don't care for royale. There wasn't any real progression or even a world for me to chill in and enjoy what I've earned, it always came with the pressure of a match.

Don't get me wrong, i like the idea of seasonal items/transmogs and mechanics added to fractals, raids, pvp and WvW. I've even suggested this in other threads. I just don't think removing story content is good for mmos.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

It added strikes for one. I didn't experience season 1 so i wouldn't know. I just see lots of people raving about how fun the metas are in the current season. One of the things i like about this game is that it's almost like Skyrim: there's a lot of different open world activities i can choose from, it's all up to you (and sometimes how many people are around which sucks sometimes.) But on your note of season one, they've alluded they want to take a similar approach.

I mean has WoW innovated at all by your definition? It always had M+ and raids aince the previous expansion. It just added new ones. The azerite stuff is non-account wide chores. What game are you going to and how does it innovate over old content by your definition? I'm curious, maybe i'll take a look. Maybe i won't because the developers will turn out to be just as abusive as WoW in terms of how they treat my time and/or money.

It is a difference of perspective, you don't know since you got no reference for comparison. You simply a new guy that think everything is great while the old guys who seen the up and downs will naturally not think so. Concert which what people praise for isn't a meta and no matter how interesting it was, no people gonna repeatedly doing it that for days. The twitch viewerships still remains at all times low, reddit online count still dropping, nothing has changed.

A lot of Antisocial and introverted customers play MMO's as well, i believe Developers forget this when they design team content everywhere.. Its a mistake forcing customers together to complete story parts, and i agree the pvp and raid aspects need team play.. but the rest should not and the rewards should be the same everywhere.

@Dante.1508 said:A lot of Antisocial and introverted customers play MMO's as well, i believe Developers forget this when they design team content everywhere.. Its a mistake forcing customers together to complete story parts, and i agree the pvp and raid aspects need team play.. but the rest should not and the rewards should be the same everywhere.

I believe you wanted to say 'asocial' rather than 'antisocial'. Asocial people are people who tend to avoid the company of other people but not necessarily hostile toward society. Antisocial people are actively hostile or antagonistic toward other people and/or social institutions and order.

Other than that I agree that developers should take into consideration that there are plenty of players who prefer to play mostly alone and tend to avoid team-oriented content. I would love to see more solo-oriented content catering to this kind of people.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@Daroon.1736 said:They had the right approach with season 1 to keeping things fresh but because fans complained they abandoned what was an excellent system of transitory content. Fact is they really should have persevered.

Wait so are you arguing season 1 was better because it's not repeatable? Not because it actually had better content? That's a tad non sequitur imo. Even in other mmos i can play through old storylines and content. And given how focused maps are on metas, it's entirely possible to not be able to do things based on metas later on when the content goes stale. So you're still kind of getting what you want, but in a roundabout way.

Also fortnite is not an mmo. The only permanent thing you earn are skins and they only mean something when you're playing matches. This is how Mobas got old fast for me and why i don't care for royale. There wasn't any real progression or even a world for me to chill in and enjoy what I've earned, it always came with the pressure of a match.

Don't get me wrong, i like the idea of seasonal items/transmogs and mechanics added to fractals, raids, pvp and WvW. I've even suggested this in other threads. I just don't think removing story content is good for mmos.

Nowhere did I use the word 'Better' - What I said was 'Keeping things fresh'

Also Fortnight is not an MMO? Seriously! - I think you are confusing your terms. MMO=Massively multiplayer online game - I'll presume you mean MMORPG? which is, very loosely the closest term to describe GW2, though the amount of Role Play that I see taking place in GW is Virtually non existent.

@Daroon.1736 said:

Nowhere did I use the word 'Better' - What I said was 'Keeping things fresh'

Also Fortnight is not an MMO? Seriously! - I think you are confusing your terms. MMO=Massively multiplayer online game - I'll presume you mean MMORPG? which is, very loosely the closest term to describe GW2, though the amount of Role Play that I see taking place in GW is Virtually non existent.

I didn't say you said better, I was trying to interpret what you were going for and I guess we agree on some level, I just don't want that particular mechanic to be LWS related. I think that seasonal mechanics and rewards should be every 3ish months, LWseasons span 6mos to a year. Any no, anything that isn't persistent isn't an MMO in my opinion, by your definition D3 is an MMO. But that's griping about technical definitions and irrelevant.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

It is a difference of perspective, you don't know since you got no reference for comparison. You simply a new guy that think everything is great while the old guys who seen the up and downs will naturally not think so. Concert which what people praise for isn't a meta and no matter how interesting it was, no people gonna repeatedly doing it that for days. The twitch viewerships still remains at all times low, reddit online count still dropping, nothing has changed.

Ha well you're not interested in actually discussing features, just want to put people into boxes. got it. I can get being tired of a game you play forever, but I was trying to be objective and you are not.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Dante.1508 said:A lot of Antisocial and introverted customers play MMO's as well, i believe Developers forget this when they design team content everywhere.. Its a mistake forcing customers together to complete story parts, and i agree the pvp and raid aspects need team play.. but the rest should not and the rewards should be the same everywhere.

I believe you wanted to say 'asocial' rather than 'antisocial'. Asocial people are people who tend to avoid the company of other people but not necessarily hostile toward society. Antisocial people are actively hostile or antagonistic toward other people and/or social institutions and order.

Other than that I agree that developers should take into consideration that there are plenty of players who prefer to play mostly alone and tend to avoid team-oriented content. I would love to see more solo-oriented content catering to this kind of people.I mean't both.. I personally am very Antisocial, but yes Asocial are also included.

@"Dante.1508" said:A lot of Antisocial and introverted customers play MMO's as well, i believe Developers forget this when they design team content everywhere.. Its a mistake forcing customers together to complete story parts, and i agree the pvp and raid aspects need team play.. but the rest should not and the rewards should be the same everywhere.

People who play alone typically aren't "anti-team play". They're typically not for content like Raids, and it isn't due to team play, but how inconvenient it is to get a group.; as it requires sitting around talking to random people to get one going.The most popular games globally are team oriented games, but getting into a team of randoms is quick and easy for these games.

@knomslayer.9457 said:MMO fail because of toxic community. Just like the announcement 30th. People complain and harassing the devs because they dont get what they want when the content that they want (they know themselves) wasnt even going to be part of the announcement. People need to stop harassing the devs thats why mmos are dying just like the World Of Warcraft right now. World Of Warcraft commnunity is toxic they hate their current expansion, they harass the devs that the devs are being forced to make a new version of the old game. lol. Hope that doesnt happen to Gw2.

the customer is always right,, they listened and regained over 2mil subs in 24 hours,, oh no WoW devs got yelled at now theyre making twice the amount of money omg how awful

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

@"Dante.1508" said:A lot of Antisocial and introverted customers play MMO's as well, i believe Developers forget this when they design team content everywhere.. Its a mistake forcing customers together to complete story parts, and i agree the pvp and raid aspects need team play.. but the rest should not and the rewards should be the same everywhere.

People who play alone typically aren't "anti-team play". They're typically not for content like Raids, and it isn't due to team play, but how inconvenient it is to get a group.; as it requires sitting around talking to random people to get one going.The most popular games globally are team oriented games, but getting into a team of randoms is quick and easy for these games.

Most are team play when its forced on them.

@Tekneeq.4302 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:MMO fail because of toxic community. Just like the announcement 30th. People complain and harassing the devs because they dont get what they want when the content that they want (they know themselves) wasnt even going to be part of the announcement. People need to stop harassing the devs thats why mmos are dying just like the World Of Warcraft right now. World Of Warcraft commnunity is toxic they hate their current expansion, they harass the devs that the devs are being forced to make a new version of the old game. lol. Hope that doesnt happen to Gw2.

the customer is always right,, they listened and regained over 2mil subs in 24 hours,, oh no WoW devs got yelled at now theyre making twice the amount of money omg how awful

World of warcraft is dead game. Guild wars 2 is better

@knomslayer.9457 said:

World of warcraft is dead game. Guild wars 2 is better

tf? Have you ever been on Twitch?

so ur saying we have problems communicating,, yet u just insulted people for having depression? and you sit there and put other people down? and then u call others toxic? nobody said anything bad about gw2.. its a great game.. all i said was listening to ur customers results in more players and more money... im glad ur stating ur opinion on gw2 but putting others down especially for depression is wrong man.. we're all human we all just wanna be happy.. hope u have a great day man

@Tekneeq.4302 said:

@"knomslayer.9457" said:MMO fail because of toxic community. Just like the announcement 30th. People complain and harassing the devs because they dont get what they want when the content that they want (they know themselves) wasnt even going to be part of the announcement. People need to stop harassing the devs thats why mmos are dying just like the World Of Warcraft right now. World Of Warcraft commnunity is toxic they hate their current expansion, they harass the devs that the devs are being forced to make a new version of the old game. lol. Hope that doesnt happen to Gw2.

The phrase, "the customer is always right," has never been true.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"knomslayer.9457" said:MMO fail because of toxic community. Just like the announcement 30th. People complain and harassing the devs because they dont get what they want when the content that they want (they know themselves) wasnt even going to be part of the announcement. People need to stop harassing the devs thats why mmos are dying just like the World Of Warcraft right now. World Of Warcraft commnunity is toxic they hate their current expansion, they harass the devs that the devs are being forced to make a new version of the old game. lol. Hope that doesnt happen to Gw2.

The phrase, "the customer is always right," has never been true.

i agree with Ashen. "Customer is always right" is wrong. for example people in wow want lfr which looking for raid in retail game. it is bad , clueless 40 people in raid que raid not communication like a premade raid. if they get wipe one time then they all raid the leave. that is why wow lfr is bad. so yes " customer is always right" btw

@Grinz.4560 said:In Guild Wars i was doing The Fissure of Woe, Gate of Anguish and The Underworld in my Alliance or Guild, when we were not in any Dungeon. But in Guild Wars 2 most Player in my Guild do not even play together anymore, because there is no new Guild Content for us...

Arena Net´s Roadmap for this Game is way to slow for Guild, Group and Singleplayer Content!

P.s.: GW2 Storyline is bad…, like boring…, or lame!

Under the influence system, all content was guild content. Ditching it was a big mistake.

@Ashen.2907 said:

The phrase, "the customer is always right," has never been true.Oh, it has almost always been true. It just means something completely different that most people think it does.