Targeting for fireworks launcher and shooter events in Grothmar Valley bugged?

For either of these events, when I have the fireworks launcher or rifle equipped, I lose control of my mouse to aim for the target. My camera control goes wonky too. The only way to even try to aim is to move the camera around and it's almost impossible to do.

I don' t know if this is normal and it's just a new kind of shooter control, or if I've really got a bug. Does anyone else see anything like this? Sorry if I'm not being clear, it's really hard to describe.

Oh, I forgot to ask: For the fireworks launcher, I get one of those green circle things for targeting. I'm used to using my mouse to move it to aim. But I can't do that when it's in action camera mode. So do I just hit 1 while the action camera is pointed at the little white dot and forget about trying to move the green circle? Thanks!

Wait two hours for a 30sec chance to target vanishing targets with a fireworks launcher using action camera, a disorientating mode that doesn't agree with my mouse sensitivity. No way to practice with the launcher, not that it would do any good. Then lock one of the few awards worth collecting this release behind it. Is this the challenging repeatable content players crave, or a "get it and forget it" skill gating dependent on an unpopular and niche game mode. I am disappoint.

This is just a big kittening to anyone who gave up trying to do Shooting Gallery in Verdant Brink.

I've got the Grothmar Valley reward track active in WvW, I think that's the only way I'm going to be able to get those rewards.

It might be worth it for you to do the same, even if you're not a big WvW'er.

I'm not good at it by any means, but just doing dailies when I can and using the potions you get from them, with something like a celebration boost active, can get you through the track pretty quickly. :)

@"Random Wax Orc.7695" said:Wait two hours for a 30sec chance to target vanishing targets with a fireworks launcher using action camera, a disorientating mode that doesn't agree with my mouse sensitivity. No way to practice with the launcher, not that it would do any good. Then lock one of the few awards worth collecting this release behind it. Is this the challenging repeatable content players crave, or a "get it and forget it" skill gating dependent on an unpopular and niche game mode. I am disappoint.

This is just a big kittening to anyone who gave up trying to do Shooting Gallery in Verdant Brink.

Which reward is 'locked' behind Fireworks Launcher? Can't be the Meta Reward, as that has a 20-achievement leeway.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Random Wax Orc.7695" said:Wait two hours for a 30sec chance to target vanishing targets with a fireworks launcher using action camera, a disorientating mode that doesn't agree with my mouse sensitivity. No way to practice with the launcher, not that it would do any good. Then lock one of the few awards worth collecting this release behind it. Is this the challenging repeatable content players crave, or a "get it and forget it" skill gating dependent on an unpopular and niche game mode. I am disappoint.

Which reward is 'locked' behind Fireworks Launcher? Can't be the Meta Reward, as that has a 20-achievement leeway.

The Master of ceremonies achievement for the concert requires hitting a target with the fireworks launcher. That one was the worst for me to get but I somehow managed it after spending time working on the Prolific Popper achieve.

@Zushada.6108 said:

The Master of ceremonies achievement for the concert requires hitting a target with the fireworks launcher. That one was the worst for me to get but I somehow managed it after spending time working on the Prolific Popper achieve.

So, 5 AP is the "few awards worth collecting"? Again, one can skip 20 of the Achievements and still acquire the Meta Reward.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, 5 AP is the "few awards worth collecting"? Again, one can skip
of the Achievements and still acquire the Meta Reward.

Yes I know you can skip some of the achievements. I was just clarifying that the fireworks launcher is required for the Master of Ceremonies achievement. In addition, in order to complete the Merchandise Collector achievement, you need the Master of Ceremonies completed so you can buy the Voice of Metal (that is, if you don't run PVP/WvW Reward tracks as an alternative)

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Ahh, well, perhaps that is what the poster meant. Though, if it's that much trouble, perhaps just buying that reward from the vendor would be easier. It's only 5 Gold.

I think is my point, you need to have the Master of Ceremonies done in order to unlock the Voice of Metal from the Chilli vendor so I can see why folks would find it frustrating. You have to do A in order to unlock B and A is a pain in the kitten :smile:

Purchasing The Metal Legion Band T-Shirt skin is locked behind the Master of Ceremonies achievement which is locked behind the Fireworks Launcher. If the Launcher was active for the entire concert, then maybe, just maybe, the task would be doable. Every other task in the achieve is, at most, a matter of figuring out what you need to do, while the Fireworks task is a completely different animal.Since HoT Anet has repeatedly mixed the trivial and the nigh impossible in the same set of tasks, and they keep repeating that practice as soon as the last time is forgotten. There is so much content locked behind those "kitten the player" tasks at this point that nothing seems genuinely rewarding. It is like Anet shouting, "just shortbus rewards for you, mate". Sorry, I am a bit annoyed that my enjoyment of the new map is ruined less than a week into the release.

The projectiles in the shooting range need to look on target, but if the target is too far, it may not lock on them and not hit even if the projectile goes straight through them.
It looks like the locking won't work properly on certain resolutions or settings, or even not show the targets at all.

Looks like the event was not tested in lower end machines.

Easy work around for this problem.

Pick up a fireworks gun and get on the stage, go into first person and there will be a small dot in the middle of your screen, even if you can't see it it's not a problem.Just try and get the icons in the middle of your screen and shoot at them.

First few times I did the event I was running around below them trying to shoot up with little success.Shooting from the stage in first person is significantly easier to contribute to this event.Give it a try.

@Teratus.2859 said:Easy work around for this problem.

Pick up a fireworks gun and get on the stage, go into first person and there will be a small dot in the middle of your screen, even if you can't see it it's not a problem.Just try and get the icons in the middle of your screen and shoot at them.

First few times I did the event I was running around below them trying to shoot up with little success.Shooting from the stage in first person is significantly easier to contribute to this event.Give it a try.

I will try that, thanks! :)

It can be a little hard if you're not used to action cam yeah. I use action cam all the time - usually the targetting reticule changes shape if i can hit the thing im looking at, but it doesn't do that for the fireworks event so lining up a small white dot that blends into the background gets pretty hard. Mostly though you can try and get the target in the middle of your screen and press 1 and hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

This one gave me way more trouble than it was worth ha ha. I hate action camera mode; it is very counter intuitive. It does seem to be bugged though, if you read about action cam mode it shows the white dot turn into a targeting reticle... As many times as I have done it, on multiple characters, the targeting reticle never changed. I finally just lined up the white dot as best I could and shot as fast as possible, eventually it worked on one character. And that is all I needed. Now I never have to do it again. Horrid design.

Luckily I use a trackball, I would never have been able to chase the damn mouse around the screen in time. The trackball has saved my butt many times in this wonky game :)

~Edit~ I have seen 'kitten' on here a lot, I did not know their filter did that... guess I should have said 'darn'... (I hate cats, but I play one in GW2)

• 1 year later...