WHY RANGERS LONGBOW HAVE 1500 RANGE WHILE A DE RIFLE HAVE 1200?

SeikeNz.3526

@SeikeNz.3526 said:if the DE want 1500 range they need to knee, while rangers can hit from 20000k range with superspeed, how is that balanced?

First off, I'd love to hit a target from 20000k range, I'd never have to move....secondly, bows have been perfected in the Guild Wars universe, rifles are still rudimentary so lack the polish and construction needed to shoot long distances.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@SeikeNz.3526 said:if the DE want 1500 range they need to knee, while rangers can hit from 20000k range with superspeed, how is that balanced?

First off, I'd love to hit a target from 20000k range, I'd never have to move....secondly, bows have been perfected in the Guild Wars universe, rifles are still rudimentary so lack the polish and construction needed to shoot long distances.

other day on wvw i just saw a ranger hitting a cannon above the castle, im not even talking about the walls cannons, it was the middle cannon upstairs

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

other day on wvw i just saw a ranger hitting a cannon above the castle, im not even talking about the walls cannons, it was the middle cannon upstairs

First off, what you wrote "20000k" comes out as 2000000 range, if what you meant was 2k(2000) or 20k(20000) then I get it...as for my reasoning, it's a little bit facetious but it does make sense if you think about. Bows have been around a lot longer in GW than rifles, so it's plausible they have perfected bows vs rifles which are much newer. As for your WvW scenario, I haven't been in WvW in forever, so not knowing the location from which he was shooting and other factors I really can't comment.

Arrows in gw2 arc, so the ranger longbow can hit beyond the 1500 range if shot from the high ground (somewhere around 1800 units, but they must be manually fired). Since bullets don't arc, they only ever hit in the effective range.

That said, pale reaver rifles can hit upwards of 20,000 units. I don't think there's any in universe reason why a ranger longbow should hit further than a rifle, beyond that the pact commander is a terrible shot with rifles.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

While this isn't actually the real reason mechanically it is a very viable reason in terms of lore lol

Guns are indeed fairly new to the universe although Asura tech might be giving the illusion they are not, they've got some pretty fancy future tech like guns.

In all honesty though I wouldn't mind rifle getting the same auto range as longbow.

@Teratus.2859 said:

While this isn't actually the real reason mechanically it is a very viable reason in terms of lore lol

Guns are indeed fairly new to the universe although Asura tech might be giving the illusion they are not, they've got some pretty fancy future tech like guns.

In all honesty though I wouldn't mind rifle getting the same auto range as longbow.

This is actually kinda true. Early firearms were much less accurate than modern ones. An expert archer likely had better precision than an arquebusier. Of course, that flies in the face of the theme of a rifle-sniper so it sort of falls apart as an explanation for GW2. In reality, I think the Ranger Longbow is a little OP. It spent years being really undertuned and they over-buffed it a couple of years back.

In case you haven't heard, the balance team in this game isn't very good.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

This is actually kinda true. Early firearms were much less accurate than modern ones. An expert archer likely had better precision than an arquebusier. Of course, that flies in the face of the theme of a rifle-sniper so it sort of falls apart as an explanation for GW2. In reality, I think the Ranger Longbow is a little OP. It spent years being really undertuned and they over-buffed it a couple of years back.

Indeed they were, the futher away the target the more rapidly the accuracy diminished, not to mention they sucked at reload time as well so missing a shot was a far bigger deal back in those days.I think I read somewhere a long time ago that it was easier to kill with a mounted Bayonet than it was to actually hit someone with those old rifles lolThe only real advantage they had over the bow I think was the speed of the projectile and the damage it could cause, those old guns could blow a nasty hole in someone compared to an arrow.Longbows were not as useful as a Bayonet in close combat either so there's that.

So yeah their shorter range in game does make sense when you think about it like that.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

Breaking News: A Thief with shortbow can hit those upper cannons too and shortbow is suppose to have 900 range. In the meantime my mesmer (staff/greatsword) and guardian (staff) with 1200 range, can't even reach those.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

How come DE can do 1 shot permstealth-port-evade-port-port-plus-25k malbackstabby? How this balance?

it's not, im talking about rifles

Jajajaja u can 1 shot w/ rifle... Gimme a break.

This is because DE and rangers are differently designed professions, with DE you can choose your target even among groups of people and decide whether to fight, be permanently invisible and despite DE having these advantages it does not have a dps lower than rangers indeed I think they are equivalent, it's a very tactical profession unlike a ranger who has a direct approach, if you want to play a DE like a ranger .. change profession :)

Anet has removed unlockable from LB, will reduce the damage the next patch, the next post will be, barrage is op? xD

@Smoosh.2718 said:The thing that bugs me more than the range, is the speed. why is a bow faster than a bullet?

^^Do you throw your bow or do you mean arrow? =)

And concerning the range: Basic range is 1200, you need a trait to shoot 1500. Not sure what's more limiting, having the 1500 range as skill on rifle, or having to choose a specific trait to have 1500.

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Smoosh.2718 said:The thing that bugs me more than the range, is the speed. why is a bow faster than a bullet?

And concerning the range: Basic range is 1200, you need a trait to shoot 1500. Not sure what's more limiting, having the 1500 range as skill on rifle, or having to choose a specific trait to have 1500.

Yes i throw my bow's on a daily basis, wouldnt you?Yes yes, I did mean the arrows! ha!

I wouldnt mind the 1200 distance with a rifle... if they shot faster than a arrow.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

Yes i throw my bow's on a daily basis, wouldnt you?Yes yes, I did mean the arrows! ha!

I wouldnt mind the 1200 distance with a rifle... if they shot faster than a arrow.

Ha ha, i am still not clear what you mean:

• Rifle should shoot faster (more often per minute) than bow, or
  • Bullet should fly faster (reaches target faster) than arrow.

Dont get me wrong, I love my longbow ranger. He is my first toon in the game and will be the last. But for the love of god how could the engineers not invent the bloody machine gun? I can understand the blunderbuss is weaker than many things but there is a friggin pistol in the game. A mage is casting? Shoot him in the face. Poof! No casting. Not enough? There are grenades, mortars and a BLOODY ORBITAL STRIKE! I mean Tony Stark needed crazy funds to have one and engis have it in their pocket. Yet it hits far lesser than a dagger. A-bloody-dagger. Engineer and the semi-modern gear really goes against the decorum for me. There is a FLAMMENWERFER in the game :) come on.

Whenever I see an engi, or I play one, it feels funny :) Everyone is casting spells, using bows and stuff, all magic and cool. And then there you are shooting people, throwing grenades and running aroung with a flame thrower :)