How do you all feel about Strike Missions?

I'm certainly interested in them. This one seemed easier than T4 Fractals/CMs, which I believe was the point. We 4-manned it as a PUG and nearly cleared the times achievement.

The mechanics were interesting, but nothing more challenging than T4 Fractals. I think for the first one, the difficulty is in a good spot, and if the mechanics of each fight scale up slowly, it will be good for the overall player-base, and hopefully raise the bottom, common PvE-exclusive player DPS.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Memoranda.9386 said:I'm certainly interested in them. This one seemed easier than T4 Fractals/CMs, which I believe was the point. We 4-manned it as a PUG and nearly cleared the times achievement.

The mechanics were interesting, but nothing more challenging than T4 Fractals. I think for the first one, the difficulty is in a good spot, and if the mechanics of each fight scale up slowly, it will be good for the overall player-base, and hopefully raise the bottom, common PvE-exclusive player DPS.

You and your guys realize(d) that this encounter is made for 10 men, did you? It's not rudimentary T4 level, it's easier than a T1 fractal! Mechanics can be ignored completely.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:

The what? The boss is a giant sack of health that poses zero threat to any player. There are veteran mobs out in the world that are tougher than this "legendary".

Let's use the word "curious" or "different" instead. Not interesting in the more, uh, traditional sense, I guess?

@"Vinceman.4572" said:

You and your guys realize(d) that this encounter is made for 10 men, did you? It's not rudimentary T4 level, it's easier than a T1 fractal! Mechanics can be ignored completely.

Yeah it's a "joke" because it wasn't meant to be hard, which is the point I was illustrating.

It's more akin to open world PvE, but you can hate on it all you want; this was clearly noted as being the first, and therefore easiest, Strike, and everyone seemed to be expecting, once more, things that were not even hinted at.

My understanding is that this Strike was meant to get players accustomed to the feel, and many players will likely struggle with even this "easy" for experienced players' content.

Since you and I Raid or T4 Frac/CM, this wasn't aimed at us.

@Memoranda.9386 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:

The what? The boss is a giant sack of health that poses zero threat to any player. There are veteran mobs out in the world that are tougher than this "legendary".

Let's use the word "curious" or "different" instead. Not interesting in the more, uh, traditional sense, I guess?

@"Vinceman.4572" said:

Yeah it's a "joke" because it wasn't meant to be hard, which is the point I was illustrating.

It's more akin to open world PvE, but you can hate on it all you want; this was clearly noted as being the first, and therefore easiest, Strike, and everyone seemed to be expecting, once more, things that were not even hinted at.

My understanding is that this Strike was meant to get players accustomed to the feel, and many players will likely struggle with even this "easy" for experienced players' content.

But it serves literally no purpose if people can ignore every mechanic at all on the first encounter. This won't help nobody. Seriously, there are open world bosses that are more dangerous and in the game for years. Even the first dungeons like AC and TA are much more of a stepping stones to at least fractals than this weak noodle.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:

But it serves literally no purpose if people can ignore every mechanic at all on the first encounter. This won't help nobody. Seriously, there are open world bosses that are more dangerous and in the game for years. Even the first dungeons like AC and TA are much more of a stepping stones to at least fractals than this weak noodle.

Even at World Bosses I see players downed all the time because they don't react to AoE, don't understand the tells or similar, or are don't know how about positioning.

The big AoEs in this Strike won't down you outright, but if you stand still, you will die. Most World Bosses let you spam auto 1 and AFK. Obviously, there are exceptions.

But once again, this was designed primarily as a way to get players accustomed to the "feel" of a Strike and how it works.

@Memoranda.9386 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:

Even at World Bosses I see players downed all the time because they don't react to AoE, don't understand the tells or similar, or are don't know how about positioning.

The big AoEs in this Strike won't down you outright, but if you stand still, you will die. Most World Bosses let you spam auto 1 and AFK. Obviously, there are exceptions.

But once again, this was designed primarily as a way to get players accustomed to the "feel" of a Strike and how it works.

Well some of those downs are becouse there packed with people so their computer dont have time or is unable to render the aoes in time.And the auto 1 is due to skill lag that you cant really control.

@"Memoranda.9386" said:It's more akin to open world PvE, but you can hate on it all you want; this was clearly noted as being the first, and therefore easiest, Strike, and everyone seemed to be expecting, once more, things that were not even hinted at.

What wasn't hinted at? The developers called the Strike Mission a "stepping stone for Raids", that's more than enough of a hint. The only thing that the Strike teaches players is that enrage timers exist and they are bad.

It could've served as a nice alternative to the training golem, since it offers a bit of resistance and has an enrage timer so players can optimize their damage, but it fails at that due to having a lengthy jumping puzzle before the boss and because it's not easy to reset. They should put that thing in the training forces area, as an option instead of the golem, that's all it's good for.

@maddoctor.2738 said:It could've served as a nice alternative to the training golem, since it offers a bit of resistance and has an enrage timer so players can optimize their damage, but it fails at that due to having a lengthy jumping puzzle before the boss and because it's not easy to reset.

The jumping puzzle is extremely short once you know the path. Golem can also be reset with gg which also resets your skills. Its a really good training golem since you will die if you tunnel vision. It just lacks the boons for rotation training.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:The only thing that the Strike teaches players is that enrage timers exist and they are bad.You are forgetting these clumps of ice circling around the boss, as well as his very long wind-up attack causing an AoE to his side.If I remember correctly, it also has a frozen meteor shower at lower health.

Yeah but you can completely ignore the attacks. So doesn't really teach anything.

unless the main idea on the first strike is just to get people used to 10 man groups.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:The only thing that the Strike teaches players is that enrage timers exist and they are bad.You are forgetting these clumps of ice circling around the boss, as well as his very long wind-up attack causing an AoE to his side.If I remember correctly, it also has a frozen meteor shower at lower health.

The circling ice deals very little to no damage and the wave attacks can be jumped over, no dodge or defensive skill is needed to block them. Unless you play at under level 80 in Masterwork gear, this boss deals no damage at all. The Spider Queen in Ascalonian Catacombs (a level 35 dungeon) has more varied and dangerous attacks. The Archdiviner in T1 Cliffside also has more mechanics. The Molten Facility dungeon bosses (released back in 2013) had way more mechanics too, both the weapon test facility and the final boss fight, and that was a living world dungeon, aimed at the living world people. The Molten Berserker alone (one of the two bosses there) is more exciting to fight than this boss.

Edit: And let's not forget Giganticus Lupicus, that was available on release and makes this boss look a like a joke, or Mai Trin released with the Aetherblade retreat in June 2013, also a living world dungeon. The examples of bosses with far more varied attacks and exciting mechanics are endless, and all from outside Raids. Even FREEZIE, the Wintersday (a festival) mini boss was more exciting than this pathetic excuse for a boss. "Stepping stone to Raids" they said. Freezie was a better stepping stone for sure.

@Taygus.4571 said:Yeah but you can completely ignore the attacks.I've seen people die to these attacks multiple times.

@maddoctor.2738 said:the wave attacks can be jumped overI didn't know that I could jump over that.

let's not forget Giganticus Lupicus, that was available on releaseI miss this fight so much. It was my favourite back then, even though I was running full soldier and constantly had aggro.

Mai Trin released with the Aetherblade retreatWas it any different than the original fractal version?Other than the Nightmare Tower, I never played the Season 1 dungeons.

@Fueki.4753 said:I didn't know that I could jump over that.

The same wave attack is over-used in the game, Molten Berserker does it, Molten Weapon Test has them. The Riftstalkers use them all the time. They are all the same attack so someone that played the rest of the game a bit should know this pattern.

Was it any different than the original fractal version?I don't recall if there were any differences

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:I didn't know that I could jump over that.

The same wave attack is over-used in the game, Molten Berserker does it, Molten Weapon Test has them. The Riftstalkers use them all the time. They are all the same attack so someone that played the rest of the game a bit should know this pattern.

Was it any different than the original fractal version?I don't recall if there were any differences

There were. And at least on the first evening most of the players needed a five men group to finish it and even that wasn't a guarantee to success. I haven't replayed it at that time but on release day this was a nightmare for open world players.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:Mai Trin released with the Aetherblade retreatWas it any different than the original fractal version?Depends. Mechanics were exactly the same, but the bombardment phase was longer, and i think the fight was tuned a bit higher than even t4 (although that last part can be a result of me getting better in that time). Also, obviously, it didn't have instabilities or agony, as those are fractal-only mechanics.

What I expected:

• Content that is worth repeating from time to time.
  • Something like story bosses but in challenge mode: more mechanics.

What it is like:

• Content worth repeating only for achievement. Trash rewards or super low chance to get serious gold.
  • The same story boss but with large health poor. Same mechanics, same damage.

For me... this Strike Mission seem to be a lazy work. Just increase the champ's health, so you have to bring more people to take it down in time.