Crit-driven boon strip/steal

Black Frog.9274

I'm curious how boon strip/steal works with critical hits. I've selected Rending Shades, Bountiful Theft, and Hidden Thief, and it seems like (emphasis on "seems like") I can't break through and strip off retaliation or protection. I would expect that even if someone had every single boon, I Steal (and stealth from HT), have 100% Crit, and strike with stealth weapon skill, that I would strip off the top 5 boons. The only reference I've found for boon strip order is Bountiful Theft. If it is the correct order for everything, it seems like I should reliably break through and strip/steal everything through Retaliation. Is this not how it works? Or is there some other mechanic at play? Or maybe I'm just not keeping a close enough eye on my boon symbols?

I've never really focus on boon-steal/strip/rip builds, but unless I'm mistaken, critical hits don't have any effect.

Bountiful Theft should rip the top 3 prioritized boons from the target as long as Steal successfully hits.

I don't know about the priority list for Rending Shade, however, it may be different than that of Bountiful Theft just as Larcenous Strike has a different priority list (listed under the Notes section). Neither of those are affected by critical hits either. If they hit, they should succeed in stealing boons.

There are sigils that steal and/or remove boons (Absorption, Annulment, Revocation, Nullification), but the only priority list I can find for those is the PvW/WvW version of Absorption.

In other words, I'm not sure why it's not working as expected... but I don't believe it's due to critical hits.

@babazhook.6805 said:While it might be a false memory, I recall reading the Boon priority of stolen boons for rending shade when it first released. For the life of me I can no longer find that. I am working on a build that will focus on Boon ripping albeit at this moment I am not speccing it into SA yet.

I think Rending Shade is the same Priority as Larcenous Strike along with also taking the stack but I could be wrong about the priority, I must just assume that from hearing it a long time ago or something. I guess they should take it slow a bit and make sure stealth skill is connecting.

@"Black Frog.9274" said:I'm curious how boon strip/steal works with critical hits. I've selected Rending Shades, Bountiful Theft, and Hidden Thief, and it seems like (emphasis on "seems like") I can't break through and strip off retaliation or protection.

Are they being reapplied? Facet of Chaos, for instance, applies Protection every 3s or Revenant and Engineer gains protection when disabled. Guardians gains Retaliation if you steal/rip Aegis.

So it's hard to say unless you provide more info.