What is Jhavi’s profession?

Brycar.2651

@Ashantara.8731 said:That's a norn cultural light armor set, so she could be any light armored profession. Axe and shield could be Mesmer.

So the first npc with both elite specs? axe mirrage and chronomancer shield.Only light armor it could be is a new necromancer elite spec since they can have axe main hand now but not shield, unless its a conjured shield or axe skin then it can be a elementalist aswell.

She's a Jhavi. A unique character. Rytlock, before he became a Herald, was a Warrior who wielded Pistols and landmines closer to Engineer skills than the Charr racials. Traherne was known as a Necromancer, but wielded a Greatsword long before Reapers existed. Laranthir and the Pale Reavers do things with Rifles no Warrior or Deadeye could hope to match...

The point is, unique and special characters do things that don't fit into the PC's skill sets.

@Trise.2865 said:Laranthir and the Pale Reavers do things with Rifles no Warrior or Deadeye could hope to match...

I've wondered about this, since adventures often require rifle shots of 20,000 or so range, yet the player character often struggles to shoot over 1200-1500 units in practice. Is the player characters rifle sub paar, or is the commander a bad shot in combat?

@Westenev.5289 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Laranthir and the Pale Reavers do things with Rifles no Warrior or Deadeye could hope to match...

I've wondered about this, since adventures often require rifle shots of 20,000 or so range, yet the player character often struggles to shoot over 1200-1500 units in practice. Is the player characters rifle sub paar, or is the commander a bad shot in combat?

It's the difference between infantry and snipers. Infantry uses assault rifles which, even using stealth and hunting techniques for precision shots, have effective ranges at a few hundred yards (~300-400m). Military snipers/snipe teams can hit precision targets well over 2 miles away (3-4km). The Commander isn't a bad shot, far from it, but Laranthir and the Reavers are just that much better at it.

Likewise with the weaponry. Our Rifles aren't inferior per se, but they're designed for assaulting enemies and fighting off ambushes, while Pale Reaver snipers are for setting their own ambushes. In short: our Rifles are for taking ground, theirs are for protecting it.

I'd like to point out that before HoT released Marjory got to use a great sword and later, after the expansion and all features were announced, Anet confirmed that it was done as a teaser for the elite spec.

So a shield for necro, coinciding with a upcoming death magic rework which heavily focuses on stacking toughness and general tankines; make of that what you will.

@foste.3098 said:I'd like to point out that before HoT released Marjory got to use a great sword and later, after the expansion and all features were announced, Anet confirmed that it was done as a teaser for the elite spec.

So a shield for necro, coinciding with a upcoming death magic rework which heavily focuses on stacking toughness and general tankines; make of that what you will.

Although as this topic shows there are also numerous examples of NPCs using weapons not accessible to their profession, right back to the base game, which so far haven't become available to players. I wouldn't get too attached to the idea that a specific one will become available to players.