Cost of 2000 Gem Cards

DaveyC.4398

@DaveyC.4398 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Use a credit card. If you have to pay in foreign currency, use a Revolut CC.

That does not answer the question either.

Yes, but what do you expect? People don't know why they are getting more expensive on third party sites. So that's why I jumped directly to the conclusion: use a CC. It's so much more convenient.

The gem card price spiked during the anniversary sales. Some shops increased their prices and others just went out of stock. The issue is still ongoing.

There might be a supply issue as well. Maybe ArenaNet is not supplying the merchants with enough gem card for them to resell. In combination with high demand during the recent sales, this can be the result.

Here is a graph showing the price spike on a Dutch price tracker:https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/318195/guild-wars-2-gem-card-2000-pc.html

Problem is also that the ArenaNet listed retailers are out of stock of gem cards as well:https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230890448

ALL listed retailers for my country (The Netherlands) have zero gems in stock or stopped selling them altogether.Listed retailer Bol.comListed retailer DLGamerListed retailer Game ManiaListed retailer MediaMarkt (Wants to sell a washing machine instead)

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:The gem card price spiked during the anniversary sales. Some shops increased their prices and others just went out of stock. The issue is still ongoing.

There might be a supply issue as well. Maybe ArenaNet is not supplying the merchants with enough gem card for them to resell. In combination with high demand during the recent sales, this can be the result.

Here is a graph showing the price spike on a Dutch price tracker:https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/318195/guild-wars-2-gem-card-2000-pc.html

Problem is also that the ArenaNet listed retailers are out of stock of gem cards as well:https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230890448

ALL listed retailers for my country (The Netherlands) have zero gems in stock or stopped selling them altogether.

That makes sense... If the authorised retailors do not have stock, it must be a supply issue rather than a price hike.

There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

Most retail stores have a limited number of physical cards with codes on them to sell, many online retailers or anet them selves, just generate codes, no card shipped, so there is no limit to it's supply. Third party unauthorized sellers often have a limited number of cards or codes sold to them and have no ability to generate new ones, they can also be stolen, it's not uncommon for someone to work at a retail store and ring up a bunch of the cards (activating them), and then selling them off to 3rd party sellers. Not saying they are all that way, just saying it can happen, and if it does and anet removes the gems or items you bought with them because of this, they are not going to refund anything. The 3rd party sellers often get sells because of payment types they accept or countries they sell in that authorized sellers do not. So when the unauthorized sellers see a huge spike in sales that they know are going to deplete their inventory very quickly, they raise the prices, this slows how long it takes for them to go out of stock and makes them more money. Most authorized sellers have an agreement/contract with anet on how much they can sell a given card for and can not do this, however they often have the ability to generate new codes instantly and should technically never run out of stock.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

[...] Most authorized sellers have an agreement/contract with anet on how much they can sell a given card for and can not do this, however they often have the ability to generate new codes instantly and should technically never run out of stock.

Makes me still wonder why none of the officially listed Dutch retailers have any stock of gem cards.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

[...] Most authorized sellers have an agreement/contract with anet on how much they can sell a given card for and can not do this, however they often have the ability to generate new codes instantly and should technically never run out of stock.

Makes me still wonder why none of the officially listed Dutch retailers have any stock of gem cards.

Are these physical cards? Or online codes only?

Physical cards can sell out by anyone, online codes should not. The only time online codes "sell out" are when a given retailer has a limit set on total sales that can be made, sometimes the dev/retailer contracts can be pretty complex.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

Physical cards can sell out by anyone, online codes should not. The only time online codes "sell out" are when a given retailer has a limit set on total sales that can be made, sometimes the dev/retailer contracts can be pretty complex.

These are physical cards. EAN 5060094443683. None are in stock and some listed retailers do not even have them listed anymore. I think that ArenaNet should update their list with retailers that actually sell them.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

These are physical cards. EAN 5060094443683. None are in stock and some listed retailers do not even have them listed anymore. I think that ArenaNet should update their list with retailers that actually sell them.

Yeah, probably out of stock then. It's also not uncommon for some retailers to keep an item listed for some time after they no longer carry the item, I have had this happen a few times looking for something myself, waiting for it to come into stock, and then emailing the retailer after a few months and have them say "sorry, we no longer carry this item".

The 2000 gem card items are no longer in circulation. There are shops that now sell the 1200 / $15 gem cards, and have been for some time. I'm certain there are equivalents in other currencies, but the 2000 gem cards are no longer being made. Those who still have 2000 gem cards are either holding back stock or are attempting to resell them. I would not lightly trust these 2000 gem cards, as their value is higher than actual formula of 400 / $5 general cadence, and you might risk getting an unusable card.

@altermaven.7385 said:The 2000 gem card items are no longer in circulation. There are shops that now sell the 1200 / $15 gem cards, and have been for some time. I'm certain there are equivalents in other currencies, but the 2000 gem cards are no longer being made. Those who still have 2000 gem cards are either holding back stock or are attempting to resell them. I would not lightly trust these 2000 gem cards, as their value is higher than actual formula of 400 / $5 general cadence, and you might risk getting an unusable card.

Is that legitiment information confirmed by Arenanet?

@DaveyC.4398 said:

@altermaven.7385 said:The 2000 gem card items are no longer in circulation. There are shops that now sell the 1200 / $15 gem cards, and have been for some time. I'm certain there are equivalents in other currencies, but the 2000 gem cards are no longer being made. Those who still have 2000 gem cards are either holding back stock or are attempting to resell them. I would not lightly trust these 2000 gem cards, as their value is higher than actual formula of 400 / $5 general cadence, and you might risk getting an unusable card.

Is that legitiment information confirmed by Arenanet?

It is not.

@DaveyC.4398 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Not an issue here; the authorized retailers still have stock, and still sell at the same price.ArenaNet has nothing to do with unauthorized retailers and their prices.

Arenanet are supplying the none authorised retailors. How are they getting the codes otherwise?

mostly shady ways. Like buying from authorised retailers using stolen credit cards, then reselling on all those nice '3rd party market place' websites.

in short: don't buy on websites.