New Death Magic rework upcoming! (10/1 balance notes)

nikelaus.9745

Thoughts?

Death Magic: This trait line has been reworked. Many traits now revolve around a new effect called Death's Carapace that increases toughness by 20 for each stack up to a maximum of 30 stacks. Death's Carapace stacks are applied for 10 seconds from all traits except Flesh of the Master.Minor:Armored Shroud: This trait now gives 5 stacks of Death's Carapace when entering shroud.Soul Comprehension: In addition to its previous effects, this trait now also grants 1 stack of Death's Carapace for each kill the necromancer participates in.Beyond the Veil: This trait has been reworked. It now reduces condition damage by 10% while the necromancer has at least 10 stacks of Death's Carapace.Adept:Flesh of the Master: Instead of granting armor for each minion, this trait now causes the necromancer's minions to grant them 2 Death's Carapace stacks as long as the minions are alive.Putrid Defense: This trait has changed positions and its functionality has changed. It now causes poison to deal 15% more damage and grants 1 Death's Carapace stack when applying poison.Shrouded Removal: This trait has changed positions. In addition to its previous effects, it now grants 3 Death's Carapace stacks when a condition is removed.Master:Necromantic Corruption: This trait is unchanged.Dark Defiance: This trait is unchanged.Deadly Strength: This trait has been reworked. It now causes Death's Carapace to grant an additional 10 power per stack.Grandmaster:Death Nova: Updated skill facts and description. Updated attack name from Lesser Poison Cloud to Poison Nova in order to indicate that it has different behavior from Corrosive Poison Cloud. Fixed an issue that caused this trait to use the minion's stats instead of the necromancer's. Fixed various issues that caused this trait to behave inconsistently with certain minions. Increased damage by 60% in PvE only.Corrupter's Fervor: This trait has been reworked. It now grants 1 Death's Carapace stack when applying any condition. Additionally, at 25 Death's Carapace stacks or above, the necromancer gains pulsing protection for 3 seconds every 3 seconds.Unholy Sanctuary: This trait is unchanged.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite interesting changes to Death Magic. But gaining toughness would send mobs beelining for you in groups, yes? Though Deadly Strenght would make a full stack of 30 give you 300 power which sounds pretty good. And Corrupters fervor is looking yummy, getting pulsing protection at high stacks, and a Reaper should rapidly stack up conditions to keep it active.

As long as the master minor remains as a 'when you kill something' trait death magic will be lackluster since you are playing with 2 minor traits. When will they learn that traits that do something when you already win (kill an enemy) are never good.

I am speaking from a pvp perspective, in pve no one will ever run a bunker trait line outside of nich scenarios such as running the radiation hallway in therminova fractal.

Death's Carapace? Death Magic is now a bug-theme? What is this 'quanta of toughness' stuff? At least Necro does not have to have toughness in equipment stat's but Necro still gets toughness when taking Death Magic, whether it's wanted it or not.

Reading the notes, I am skeptical that these changes will be of much value. Taking it will still mess with aggro control and I saw nothing of group benefit. The preview notes look more directed at WvW and PvP; possibly as compensation for the lower sustain Scourge will have.

No changes to minions or their traits.Barriers will be rolled out to other professions so I expect Scourge to be deleted from pretty much every game mode. That's kind of salty of me but, because Necro brings nothing else of value...

Reading through the changes more closely, a lot of the defense of Death Magic comes into play after a bunch of conditions and such have been applied. Necro may be initially more squishy than previously when using Death Magic. The real defense comes when protection is finally applied by Corruptor's Fever at 25 stacks of Death's Carapace. There is a lot in here that looks more like a nerf.

Also, there was this:GeneralWhen we originally created the alacrity and barrier effects, they were intended to be profession specific, but we've changed this stance after seeing how the game changed and evolved over time. While the original effects were visually iconic to their initial professions, it was a good time to update them with a look that could fit any profession.

• Barrier: Updated the visual effects of this effect to be less profession specific.
  • Alacrity: Updated the visual effects of this effect to be less profession specific.
  • Special Forces Training Area: Conditions on the Preview Holo-Golem will no longer be removed by player skills.
  • Low-Health Traits: Updated traits that activate when the user drops below a specified health threshold so that they behave more consistently.

they need to rework all of necro or rework the game heavily for necro to not be crap tier outside of WvW/PvP AND even in those gamemodes you are essentially a boon corruption bot, nothing else, yes you could TECHNICALLY go power reaper in PVE, but why? there are other professions that do power builds better and more consistant while also giving utility

This is hot garbage

Its arguable worse than the current version of death magic

• Requires more work to get less benefit than the current death magic
  • kept on death traits that serve no purpose in a fight we dont need traits that trigger when the fighting is done and over with its pointless
  • no stability
  • didnt touch the healing grand master for regenerating health left it weaker than regeneration

Even the first minor GETS YOU LESS than the original

man they really should have asked for feed back on this.No one wants a whole trait line based around a mini game of collecting stacks.

@Anchoku.8142 said:

@Etterwyn.5263 said:600 toughness, 300 power, and perma-protection in WVW? Drooooooooooooooooooolllll.... <3

Not so fast! Remember that you will not get all that right away. You have to survive the ramp-up from nothing, first.

True, but Necro can ramp up conditions crazy fast, especially with axe and scepter. I was already using 112 in Death Magic plus 10% damage reduction food, and could catch people by surprise and watch them panic when their burst salvo failed and I kept coming. I spent one weekend hunting Longbow Rangers, quite entertaining since a Reaper with minions is supposed to be a free kill. This change might get me back to playing more.

@Etterwyn.5263 said:600 toughness, 300 power, and perma-protection in WVW? Drooooooooooooooooooolllll.... <3

So you are gonna drop what for this? its not exactly free what are you planning to drop?

Assuming wvw you are playing scourge... you gonna drop curses or soul reaping?Assuming you go core necomancer how are you planning to quickly ramp the stacks cause it wont be as fast as you think. not to mention you are less effective still...Is the drool from the shock of how abysmal this is?

@ZDragon.3046 said:

So you are gonna drop what for this? its not exactly free what are you planning to drop?

Assuming wvw you are playing scourge... you gonna drop curses or soul reaping?Assuming you go core necomancer how are you planning to quickly ramp the stacks cause it wont be as fast as you think. not to mention you are less effective still...Is the drool from the shock of how abysmal this is?

I play Reaper and if you solo roam you aren't running full glass anyway unless you want to be downed as soon as you realize somebody else is even there. So you get your toughness from gear, food, or traits regardless. I've had a great time with Death and Soul Reaping. 30 does seem like a high number but I'm not going to judge until I see it in motion.

@Etterwyn.5263 said:

I play Reaper and if you solo roam you aren't running full glass anyway unless you want to be downed as soon as you realize somebody else is even there. So you get your toughness from gear, food, or traits regardless. I've had a great time with Death and Soul Reaping. 30 does seem like a high number but I'm not going to judge until I see it in motion.

Ive ran into many necros roaming as reapers in wvw to say thats not a true statement.

i have to honestly say i have a hard time thinking you could kill anything or still dont get mowed down even with the current death magic if some one else shows up. I just cant envision this based on my experience on fighting things with necro if you got tanky (most) other professions can still out sustain and out damage you so its better just to take the damage so you at least have some chance of killing them. Ive found that offensive pressure provides more sustain than trying to "Tank it up" So i dont see this as very good. Even if we look at the maximum best case with the new stacks for toughness they ignored several traits that should have been addressed more properly. that could have provided much better results or a wider verity of builds. Several times have i dove into things with testing death magic and every time ive felt it was always lackluster for more reasons than i can count. I dont see a single thing in these notes that screams at me.

Trust me i would love to run a tank necro but you need more than toughness to be truly effective as a tank in multiple game modes. deathmagic fails to add those missing details.

Wait the way they worded flesh of the master. You get a flat 40 toughness if one or more minion is alive? I guess stacking minions to get even more toughness (in addition to the Reaper's Rise damage mitigation too) isn't something they are fond of. They trying to say, one minion is enough...I feel like bone minions/death nova will give your more stacks of carapace if you take Putrid Defense... And since death nova exists, and without the ability to stack them for stupid amounts toughness, do you really want your minions to live longer anyways? Maybe they should just delete the trait...

Unless they are saying 2 stacks per minion, but that would be a doubling of the toughens effect on top of whatever stack size bonuses you now get??? If that is the case, it could make Corrupters Ferver appealing to minion masters who don't appreciate poison clouds from minions dying and just want to sit there absorbing damage all day.

I guess stacking minions is a silly thing to do anyways and plain bad for high difficulty content, but the change to flesh of the master seems to be making a big change it in some way, that I can't even figure out with the wording.

Didn't read all posts, but with the changes to shades and how/where your shade skills trigger, we do need a "detonate sand shade" Button. As scourges you have so little defense Mechanisms that i'll hurt immensely to lose the f4 fear on you when a shade is up.I get that we are ment to play with our shades instead of casting them elsewhere, but that loss is huge!!!

this death magic change feel just like focus 4 skill change we got not too long ago changing useless skill with a new useless skill .but now we got a heavy nerf to scourge shade in PvP and PvE .death magic in PvE give little dmg increase and give sustain which necro have enough of already if you play viper condi take Parasitic Contagion and you will never die .in PvP there is enough burst dmg and condi dmg to one shot necro even with 600 toughness necro need stab so we dont get stun lock .so in conclusion scourge now is shittiest class in PvE . reaper remain the same .

@DragonFury.6243 said:this death magic change feel just like focus 4 skill change we got not too long ago changing useless skill with a new useless skill .but now we got a heavy nerf to scourge shade in PvP and PvE .death magic in PvE give little dmg increase and give sustain which necro have enough of already if you play viper condi take Parasitic Contagion and you will never die .in PvP there is enough burst dmg and condi dmg to one shot necro even with 600 toughness necro need stab so we dont get stun lock .so in conclusion scourge now is kitten class in PvE . reaper remain the same .

Ive ran 2k toughness builds before and you still pretty much get 1 shot by burst meta. if not one shot your hp is knocked so low the next few hits still kill you. IF you guard with shroud you lose most of your offensive pressure because your shroud eats all the damage assuming you have life force to soak it. That said this line does not help build life force regenerate health for the necomancer itself provide any source of stability and only has real use with core necro imo.

About the best build in pvp you can make of this isBlood magic (with wells)Death magic (with Corrupter's Fervor: )Soul Reaping (with what ever but possibly foot in the grave because why not)

This will give you possibly high protection up time if you play your cards right with some health restoration from the wells when people stand on them.That sad you have no offensive pressure and no good source of stab or other critical boons that other bunkers usually have so im not so sure how well this would be in a team fight or for defending a point. All someone has to do is push you off the point for 3-4 seconds and its de capped.

Im still in total awe and disrespect at the fact that people have complained about how bad Unholy Sanctuary is and here in this rework they didnt even touch it.They could have made the heal scale up with the number of Death's Carapace stacks or something AT THE VERY LEAST.

Thinking about it a little more, Death Magic looks like it will be nerfed. Currently, Death Magic adds toughness and power (Deadly Strength) before engaging an opponent. These changes may be very bad for all game modes but I will have to try it to be sure.

The coming changes appear to have only been created to compensate for the loss of Scourge sustain in WvW zerging builds by giving sustain for inflicting conditions with condi-dps gear.

p.s.Theoretically, the Carapace idea could work in raids and fractals but there is still no reason to take Death Magic. It is still 100% selfish, messes with aggro, and a dps loss.