Upcoming Ranger melee weapon balance changes

Eleazar.9478

RangerIn this update, we're making a major change to sword skills in order to better improve their flow during combat. Monarch's Leap, Hornet Sting, and Serpent's Strike are all shuffling around into new slots, which should make the weapon a little easier to understand. We're also including some enhancements for the off-hand dagger, which has been a pretty weak weapon that hasn't kept up with the pace of the game very well. Finally, we're simplifying the greatsword's Counterattack skill and taking some power out of the chain-attack sequence. We hope these changes will make the weapon feel a little smoother while removing some of the frustrating random dodges that happen when fighting against it.

Long Range Shot: Reduced the minimum damage of this skill by 14% and the maximum damage by 11% in WvW only.Sword Chain-Attack Sequence: Updated icons for Crippling Thrust and Precision Swipe.Stalker's Strike: Base damage of this attack has been increased by 200%. This attack now deals double damage and inflicts 2 additional poison stacks if it strikes a foe with a movement-impairing condition.Crippling Talon: This skill now uses the ammunition system and has 2 ammo with a 15-second count recharge time and a 1-second recharge between uses. Reduced cripple duration from 6 seconds to 4 seconds. Reduced bleeding duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds.Hornet Sting: This sword skill has moved to weapon slot 3. It now recharges Monarch's Leap if it hits. Its recharge has been increased from 8 seconds to 15 seconds.Monarch's Leap: This sword skill is now the primary skill in weapon slot 2. Using this skill flips it over to Serpent's Strike for 5 seconds. It now has an 8-second recharge.Serpent's Strike: This skill is now the follow-up skill to Monarch's Leap. It no longer has a recharge.Swoop: Fixed an issue that prevented the casting bar for this skill from matching the actual casting time of the dash.Counterattack: Removed the Crippling Throw follow-up skill. This skill no longer automatically uses Counterattack Kick when blocking a foe within the range threshold. Instead, blocking any attack flips the skill to Counterattack Kick for 5 seconds. Increased the number of targets for Counterattack Kick from 1 to 3. Counterattack Kick now evades for its duration and activates faster.Power Stab: This skill no longer evades for its duration. Its name has been changed to Enduring Swing. This skill now grants 15 endurance if it hits.Quick Draw: Fixed a bug that prevented this trait from reducing recharge time.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo looks really good

while theres a nerf to GS auto double evade trick, the counter attack change and endurance gain really takes out any rng and is going to make it a monster in 1v1s and give us some cleave CC (going to be really good for downstate cleaves and actually useful against mesmers)

The sword dagger changes oh boy! going to bring them back to the limelight hell im hyped to play a true melee ranger dream! Calling it now! (On second read through on sword, will probably feel wonky at first but I kind of like the more agressive style)

(Long bow nerf i get it but i dont like it)

@Sansar.1302 said:Rip melee ranger :( only good thing with Gs where Power Stab and Swoop. The other buffs are so minor that they dont do anything

What do you mean? Powerstab sure theres a small skill gap to it but it was pretty rng unless you had blind or where in a 1v1.

Swoop still will be fine.

Counterattack was hella rng its super weak against mesmers, necros, and guards due to minions, clones, agies, and blinds since they could proc it even though it wont hit.

Sword changes ima have to try on paper they look interesting

This is 80% bad for ranger Greatsword. By changing power stab to endurance gain, you gain NOTHING. Power stab currently allows you to evade and THEN deal damage. Once it changes, while you get endurance and can dodge more, you are doing ZERO COUNTERPRESSURE while dodging. The removal of the Greatsword throw is a huge WTF. This skill allowed for the ranger to have a modicum of pressure when at a distance besides swoop - this is especially because hilt bash ROOTS the player when used instead of being a fluid skill. But hey, I guess we can block for 3s now, and at least the kick is an evade so that's kinda wild - hence the 20% good..

Greatsword is the most skillful weapon ranger has. NEVER ONCE have I thought, "damn, that power stab evade that guy did is BUSTED!?" It is entirely undeserving of the nerfs it is receiving. What is worse is their reasoning behind the greatsword changes. 1. Skill 4 is too complex (ARE YOU KIDDING!?) 2. The autoatack is frustrating because it's a random evade. NEVER ONCE IN MY LIFE have I blown cd's into another ranger's auto evade - they have 1.5 seconds of autoattacks before it's available HELLO!!!!

The sword changes look pretty awesome. Making sword a more aggressive style is exactly what it needs to be able to pressure.

@Levetty.1279 said:They are reducing the cast time of Power Stab right? The skill always felt awful and was part of why GS always felt so clunky to me but its the price you payed for having an evade . But now we have no evade and the awful auto attack? Absolute joke.

Also still haven't unsplit axe.

Lol these comments first off it will be interesting to see if you get 15 endurance per hit (as it cleaves 3 targets) or just one either thats still pretty powerfull also do you guys noy see the aoe 3 target knockback evade? Lol man people are not reading it in the full context.

Looks interesting, not sure about good, i hope the sword animations got a rework because if not its still going to be garbage in an high ping environment.. Seriously that fling me around skill never hits anything for me with a 300+ ping time..

Also the dagger main hand could use a range increase slightly..

Dude look theres going to be a 3 target aoe evade, knockback on demand. Lol basically ranger gs is getting spellbreakers counter attack that hits harder and does hard instant CC

Kicking 3 people stacked on top of each other = AoE CC

So lets think about this when do people stack on each other? Hmmm oh like all the time in teamfights for boons/heals oh trying to hit the mesmer whos stacked in clones, ooo maybe sweep rezes (especially if you run sigil of annulment in PvP you can use the block in an aoe to flip counterattack and then run to the rez and sweep dem fools like a fn broom)

Also this is a huge buff aginst other rangers the pet cant disrupt your block anymore

@Eleazar.9478 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:They are reducing the cast time of Power Stab right? The skill always felt awful and was part of why GS always felt so clunky to me but its the price you payed for having an evade . But now we have no evade and the awful auto attack? Absolute joke.

Lol these comments first off it will be interesting to see if you get 15 endurance per hit (as it cleaves 3 targets) or just one either thats still pretty powerfull also do you guys noy see the aoe 3 target knockback evade? Lol man people are not reading it in the full context.

If Anet payed you for this damage control I hope it wasn't a lot.

@Levetty.1279 said:

If Anet payed you for this damage control I hope it wasn't a lot.

Lmfao dude if you cant see the combos with this skill... Idk what to tell ya

@Eurantien.4632 said:Right now Power Stab is often used to dodge Infinite Horizon clone attacks... the block evade skill can't really do the same nor as often... you can't hit something that is evading...

@Eurantien.4632 said:Right now Power Stab is often used to dodge Infinite Horizon clone attacks... the block evade skill can't really do the same nor as often... you can't hit something that is evading...

Lol you do that because the clones trigger your block and make you waste it on a clone You can also now just block the clone attacks and when its done CC the mesmer at your choosing

@Eleazar.9478 said:

Lol you do that because the clones trigger your block and make you waste it on a clone You can also now just block the clone attacks and when its done CC the mesmer at your choosing

Mesmers who use Infinite Horizon purely as offense never trigger my counterattack... but you're probably right. Not like I am the top ranked ranger who uses a Greatsword, or anything.

I appreciate the Sword change. Will Crippling Thrust still hit one target ? Probably.

Can't wait to see how Stalker's Strike gonna be on benchmark. Either on Power or Condi.

As for GS nerf, they probably didn't like Quickness spam with GS1 and Strider's Defense. It won't change anything for PvE and I think the nerf is fine for PvP.

Splitblade still Unsplit. :#

Sad to see no changes to Beastmode skills and Pet skills.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

Mesmers who use Infinite Horizon purely as offense never trigger my counterattack... but you're probably right. Not like I am the top ranked ranger who uses a Greatsword, or anything.

Well then maybe "top ranger" player should see the new combos with gs

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Eleazar.9478 said:Not like I am the top ranked ranger who uses a Greatsword, or anything.

I agree with everything Eurantien has said.

Lol i remember when they nerfed i think NM and overhauled ws, i remeber saying yo ws is going to be the new meta yall just kept saying oh no ranger is going to suck now

@Eleazar.9478 said:

@Eleazar.9478 said:Not like I am the top ranked ranger who uses a Greatsword, or anything.

I agree with everything Eurantien has said.

Lol i remember when they nerfed i think NM and overhauled ws, i remeber saying yo ws is going to be the new meta yall just kept saying oh no ranger is going to suck now

WS has always been meta. NM has always been optional.