Fix for the blinding white screen that displays after login?

ISSUEEvery time I log in to the game I am greeted by about 10 seconds of edge-to-edge, fullscreen white on a 27 inch monitor. I'm one of those people with light sensitivity that always complains about everything being too bright, so this white screen is extra-disturbing to me.

QUESTIONS1) Is there any way to disable or mitigate this disruptive annoyance?2) If not, ArenaNet, does it have to be white??

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, but please withhold asinine recommendations like "just look away..." :) <3

I was just about to post something then I read the last line :)

jk, no idea how you could 'easily' fix that.You can minimize the screen but only about halfway through the cycle anyway...so not really a solutionYou could also get a SSD for faster loading times, but again, not a simpler solution.You could multitask. E.g. if you usually fix coffee before you log in....Instead, hit the log in button b4 you sit down, then go get the coffee while the loading screen is on, then character select.

@"ClaraFee.2579" said:Do you have any recommendations for how to do this? Any links or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

First, note that the simplest option is playing in full screen mode. If GW2 displays in windowed mode prior to loading into full screen mode, delete the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/, and if it exists, Documents/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat. This will reset some hardware-specific settings.

For a simple alternative, just alt-tab or WindowsKey-tab to show something else while GW2 is loading, though taking focus away from GW2 will make it take longer.

If you don't want that...

For general programs, anything designed around the idea of pressing a button to hide your screen would work. A simple black screen on a timer for example would work, which you could just launch at the same time as GW2. For something built-in to Windows, you could launch a screensaver (scrnsave.scr) or hit WindowsKey+L to show the lock screen.

For something specific, since I already have Gw2Launcher, it was easy enough to just paint over the white screen and make it black, so here's a special version to do that (build 4811, for 64-bit Windows). Note that this program is primarily for running multiple accounts simultaneously and goes far beyond this purpose.

If this is something you want to use...

It doesn't need to be installed, so place it wherever you want to keep it and run it.

The first thing you'll see when starting Gw2Launcher is an "add account" button. Click it to create your first account. Look through it if you want, but you simply need to give it an identifier/name and click OK, which will prompt you to select two files - choose to "share the default file" for both of them, then OK.

Back on the main window, the "add account" button will be replaced with the account you just created. Right click it and select settings. You should be on the "General" tab. The first option is the path to Gw2.exe/Gw2-64.exe, so click the "..." button and locate it. Next, directly under that, enable the "show tray icon" and "minimize to tray" options. On the left, click "Style" then "Actions" under it and on the right, choose "Launch (normal)" for the "Actions for inactive accounts" "Left click" option. OK back to the main window.

You can drag the button to create a shortcut on your desktop. This shortcut combined with the "show tray icon" and "minimize to tray" options will keep Gw2Launcher hidden. You can now either use the shortcut or click the account's button to launch the game.

This special version of Gw2Launcher should paint over the white screen to be black. It may still flash white depending on how slow your system is, but it shouldn't last long.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Odd, I don't get any such flash. Is it bound to certain graphics cards?

It only does it if you can see GW2 create a window, so you won't be able to see it if you're playing in full screen mode.

Thank you all for your insight. Yes, I play in Windowed Fullscreen so I can use multiple monitors unimpeded - I should have mentioned that.

Ideally, I'd like to find a technical solution that allows me to continue playing in Windowed Fullscreen, doesn't involve hiding or minimizing the window, and doesn't require my intervention each time I load (something automatic). I feel like there must be something that can be adjusted in Windows or Nvidia settings. Even having something like a 1920 x 1080 black JPG temporarily appear over the white screen would be sufficient.

I have a couple alt accounts that I log in to for rewards each day, so I get blinded by white screen at least 3 times a day :(