Upcoming Ranger melee weapon balance changes

Eleazar.9478

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Eleazar.9478 said:Not like I am the top ranked ranger who uses a Greatsword, or anything.

I agree with everything Eurantien has said.

Lol i remember when they nerfed i think NM and overhauled ws, i remeber saying yo ws is going to be the new meta yall just kept saying oh no ranger is going to suck now

WS has always been meta. NM has always been optional.

Lol dont be semantic, you know damn well that last ws overhual took it from strong into god tier and I remember what yall complained about, it was the damage reduction nerf and change to rugged growth.

Im telling you if you cant see the new combos you can do with gs idk what to say. Lol the rework takes any possible rng out of the gs and gives us a block + full counter on a quicker cd.

So what can you do with that new skill? Cleave rezs, nail mesmers through clones, block holos and only cc after theyre stab runs out (the flipover lasts for 5 seconds thats a )long time(so realistically that means only a 10 sec true down time from it) ) nail theives, use your pet to strip agies and then cc, combo it with maul (block>maul>counterattack>bash>maul) Im already thinking of the tons of application you can use it for hell its also another free dodge!

Hell with WS endurance regen, by the time you hit that third chain thats probably another free dodge JUST FOR AUTO ATTACKING.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Eleazar.9478 said:

@Eleazar.9478 said:Not like I am the top ranked ranger who uses a Greatsword, or anything.

Lol i remember when they nerfed i think NM and overhauled ws, i remeber saying yo ws is going to be the new meta yall just kept saying oh no ranger is going to suck now

Lol dont be semantic, you know kitten well that last ws overhual took it from strong into god tier and I remember what yall complained about, it was the damage reduction nerf and change to rugged growth.

Im telling you if you cant see the new combos you can do with gs idk what to say. Lol the rework takes any possible rng out of the gs and gives us a block + full counter on a quicker cd.

So what can you do with that new skill? Cleave rezs, nail mesmers through clones, block holos and only cc after theyre stab runs out (the flipover lasts for 5 seconds thats a )long time(so realistically that means only a 10 sec true down time from it) ) nail theives, use your pet to strip agies and then cc, combo it with maul (block>maul>counterattack>bash>maul) Im already thinking of the tons of application you can use it for hell its also another free dodge!

Hell with WS endurance regen, by the time you hit that third chain thats probably another free dodge JUST FOR AUTO ATTACKING.

Wilderness Survival has always been our main source of condi clear. It's been meta since before the rework.

I'm telling you, if you can't see the combos we're losing with the changes idk what to say. We lose Crippling Throw and the evade on Power Stab. We already have access to the full block if we jump and the 3 man knockback is going to be extremely situational. The evade on counterattack is a nice change though.

Lol??? They just increased the target cap on Counterattack, added a short evade to it, and removed the option to use Crippling Throw. Asides from that, it's no different from the current iteration. Power Stab's evade was extremely important. Without it, we lose even harder trading against holos, warrior, mesmers, and the majority of other classes. Our ability to team fight also gets nerfed even though it wasn't good to begin with.

What are you talking about? lol... each dodge is 50 endurance. In other words, you'd have complete the auto attack chain 4x (and connect with the 3rd each time) to get a full dodge worth of endurance.

You're not making any sense. Why the hell would you trade 15 endurance if the attack hits instead of the current full 1s evade? Like... what??

Excited to play with the sword changes as I've always preferred sword / offhand for its acrobatic style. They genuinely seem like good changes and Monarch's Leap does respectable damage so having it on the ready is nice.

Stalker's Strike change is interesting but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of it. I still won't take it over axe or warhorn on a power build (where the buff would make the biggest difference.)

GS changes are whatever. Sucks to lose the evade on auto.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Lol dont be semantic, you know kitten well that last ws overhual took it from strong into god tier and I remember what yall complained about, it was the damage reduction nerf and change to rugged growth.

Wilderness Survival has always been our main source of condi clear. It's been meta since before the rework.

I'm telling you, if you can't see the combos we're losing with the changes idk what to say. We lose Crippling Throw and the evade on Power Stab. We already have access to the full block if we jump and the 3 man knockback is going to be extremely situational. The evade on counterattack is a nice change though.

Lol??? They just increased the target cap on Counterattack, added a short evade to it, and removed the option to use Crippling Throw. Asides from that, it's no different from the current iteration. Power Stab's evade was extremely important. Without it, we lose even harder trading against holos, warrior, mesmers, and the majority of other classes. Our ability to team fight also gets nerfed even though it wasn't good to begin with.

What are you talking about? lol... each dodge is 50 endurance. In other words, you'd have complete the auto attack chain 4x (and connect with the 3rd each time) to get a full dodge worth of endurance.

You're not making any sense. Why the hell would you trade 15 endurance if the attack hits instead of the current full 1s evade?
Like...
what??

Read my post again in combination with natural vigor (and endurance boost) you will get another dodge just from auto attacking thats still good really fn good, nerf yes but the changes to gs 4 is a better one yes it sucks to loose crippling throw but i mean if were gunna choose when to counter attack it makes sense that they would have to cut it.

Your still going to do just fine if not better against those classes because of the changes to gs 4 i guarantee it. A 3 target evade Hard CC every 10 seconds that is in full control of the player is objectively better. Its literally a full counter that you control

@Eleazar.9478 said:

You're not making any sense. Why the hell would you trade 15 endurance if the attack hits instead of the current full 1s evade?
Like...
what??

Read my post again in combination with natural vigor (and endurance boost) you will get another dodge just from auto attacking thats still good really fn good, nerf yes but the changes to gs 4 is a better one yes it sucks to loose crippling throw but i mean if were gunna choose when to counter attack it makes sense that they would have to cut it.

Your still going to do just fine if not better against those classes because of the changes to gs 4 i guarantee it. A 3 target evade Hard CC every 10 seconds that is in full control of the player is objectively better. Its literally a full counter that you control

Even if you get a full dodge by the end of the chain, it's still a massive nerf.

The changes to greatsword are trash. I would rather keep what we have right now. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Greatsword requires the most skill the play out of all of the current ranger weapons. These changes lower the skill ceiling drastically and hurt builds that weren't an issue to begin with.

Also, the loss of Crippling Throw is very significant. It was the only thing on greatsword that let us actually stick to a target and we lose a blind when comboed with Smokescale f2.

Anet is literally butchering my favorite weapon and I will be furious if these changes go live. I am very, very disappointed in whoever is in charge of these changes.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Like...
what??

Even if you get a full dodge by the end of the chain, it's still a massive nerf.

The changes to greatsword are trash. I would rather keep what we have right now. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Greatsword requires the most skill the play out of all of the current ranger weapons. These changes lower the skill ceiling drastically and hurt builds that weren't an issue to begin with.

Look I love doing the double evade on gs its my jam for duels. (And yes im pretty upset what they did to druid)

However I remember reading that they said in an interview that the casual player does 10x less damage then a hardcore player that takin in context with pvp (omg that graph of player skill must look like a fn cliff) and there explainer post on GS makes this nerf make sense, they should strive to remove any feeling of rng on the classes alot of changes thery're doing (on other classes too) actually have me excited to grind pvp and wvw again. (Been mainly playing dk3, dest2, and wow classic since gw2s current meta has killed alot of my interest actually just came back this week and been grinding to plat 2)

Im telling you man that gs 4 your probably going to love once you test it. Its going to be constant back pocket fuck them up tool. Man Im just hyped on the possible plays I can probably do with that thing.

@Eleazar.9478 said:

Like...
what??

Look I love doing the double evade on gs its my jam for duels. (And yes im pretty upset what they did to druid)

However I remember reading that they said in an interview that the casual player does 10x less damage then a hardcore player that takin in context with pvp (omg that graph of player skill must look like a fn cliff) and there explainer post on GS makes this nerf make sense, they should strive to remove any feeling of rng on the classes alot of changes thery're doing (on other classes too) actually have me excited to grind pvp and wvw again. (Been mainly playing dk3, dest2, and wow classic since gw2s current meta has killed alot of my interest actually just came back this week and been grinding to plat 2)

Im telling you man that gs 4 your probably going to love once you test it. Its going to be constant back pocket kitten them up tool. Man Im just hyped on the possible plays I can probably do with that thing.

The 10x damage difference was in regards to PvE.

There's ZERO RNG on Power Stab's evade. It's literally the same sequence of attacks every single time.

I'm straight up telling you right now that the new GS4 change isn't nearly as good as you think it will be. It's like Bandit's Defense. No one gets hit by that shit anyways. Huge, huge nerfs to this weapon.

We're losing so much utility and depth with these nerfs.

There's no need to change the GS skills imo. No one has ever complained about GS yet they somehow find ways to change it and make it worse.

I don't understand the so-called rng on power stab. It's an evade, then the damage lands. Where's the rng to it? In pvp/wvw you barely use auto attacks on GS anyways and it's skill expression if you manage to evade attacks with it.

Removing the GS 4 throw skill doesn't make sense. It does ok damage and cripples but you lose your block if you use it. I don't see any reason anet needs to change it. It's like warriors losing their GS 4. Stripping the only ranged attack on a melee weapon set when it's in a totally reasonable state is terrible balance.

Changes to dagger offhand and sword are nice though.

while removing some of the frustrating random dodges that happen when fighting against it

That was one of the best things about it though. I like the change to Counterattack. If they make the autoattack chain a little faster by default it could work. Work around it with quickness I guess.

But like @Eurantien.4632 said you're still losing the pressure you applied from an evade + attack. Evade != dodge.

Now you'll be strictly dodging or else trying to combo with Counterattack. I can only hope Counterattack sees a CD reduction and the attack itself has some reach. Seems like it still needs some work.

It could be good but I'm thinking until they tweak it, it'll be a pretty substantial nerf. I'll know for sure when the update drops.

Sword changes could be interesting. I'm going to miss my camera flipping map jumping shenanigans but the flow of the attacks looks better (on paper anyway).

Between the GS and sword changes, that's going to be a lot of muscle memory to undo and retrain...

I like the off-hand dagger changes. I feel like Stalker's Strike could use a CD reduction but depending on the flow from sword changes it might actually be a strong choice for single-target/PvP.

Crippling Talon using the ammo system is perfect and long overdue.

With (official) build templates coming you'll be able to optimize your play and make builds like that for general PvE VS a boss fight on the fly, and I think it could shine in that way.

Feels like it's going to be a nerf until they tweak it the next balance pass. It'll still be usable we're not being absolutely gutted, but... meh. I dunno until I play it. I hope I'm wrong.

@Eleazar.9478 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:They are reducing the cast time of Power Stab right? The skill always felt awful and was part of why GS always felt so clunky to me but its the price you payed for having an evade . But now we have no evade and the awful auto attack? Absolute joke.

Also still haven't unsplit axe.

Lol these comments first off it will be interesting to see if you get 15 endurance per hit (as it cleaves 3 targets) or just one either thats still pretty powerfull also do you guys noy see the aoe 3 target knockback evade? Lol man people are not reading it in the full context.

If Anet payed you for this damage control I hope it wasn't a lot.

Lmfao dude if you cant see the combos with this skill... Idk what to tell ya

You are really bad at this.

@Sevans.4619 said:Excited to play with the sword changes as I've always preferred sword / offhand for its acrobatic style. They genuinely seem like good changes and Monarch's Leap does respectable damage so having it on the ready is nice.

Stalker's Strike change is interesting but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of it. I still won't take it over axe or warhorn on a power build (where the buff would make the biggest difference.)

I feel like stalker strike might actually be very strong in a power build, it looks like it’ll be literally our only other hard hitting one hit ability (other one being maul) and is much faster. So we can remorseless it.

@Anet"Counterattack: Removed the Crippling Throw follow-up skill. This skill no longer automatically uses Counterattack Kick when blocking a foe within the range threshold. Instead, blocking any attack flips the skill to Counterattack Kick for 5 seconds. Increased the number of targets for Counterattack Kick from 1 to 3. Counterattack Kick now evades for its duration and activates faster."

Why? The move was epic the way it was and removing a skill completely is in itself nothing good (that's actually terrible, you should ADD things not take stuff away from us). Also to knock the enemies back manually takes just more time out of my rotation and makes it less fluid when it comes to gameplay. I also can't cripple a foe now in case I have to get away from it to heal or cast something. WTH???The removal of Evade when it comes to powerstab is as well an absolute disgrace of a nerf. Rangers don't wear heavy armor if you forgot about that.

The onehand sword changes are also extremely weird.How does it make sense to evade backwards with skill 3 to jump back into combat with skill 2 and then do the serpent strike which takes the place of skill 2?The "hit" > "evade/jump backwards" > "jump back in" should be one follow up skill because that is much faster than having two skills in slot 2 & 3 for that.It does not make any sense how you want to do it now.Why should I have monarch strike readily available all the time? Standing in front of the enemy and jumping into combat? wtf?Also Hornet sting (which has a doubled recharge time now) recharges Monach Leap IF(!!!) it hits? Wonderful, I leap back out out combat and if I missed I can walk back to the target. Srsly?You even increase the recharge times to achieve what?Nobody using onehand-sword on ranger anymore because it is slow and non fluid and just not fun anymore?

That's like a poorly copied warrior onehandsword dynamic. You know - as long as you don't completely mess up warrior, like you do now with ranger - we already have a more or less well implemented warriorclass.

As always your "BaLaNcE"-updates are just plain nerfs taking out the fun of the gameplay and are overall horrendous.Thanks for worsening my gameplay experience with my ranger characters.How great that I made a new one a few weeks ago!Awesome as always. :/

P.S: Suggestion: Maybe, I don't know - instead of wasting the time of the workforce at Anet to make BaLaNcE-Updates (butchering classes rly) nobody asked for - invest time into making good >new content<(!!!) which is better suited to host an announcement show for.

@Levetty.1279 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:They are reducing the cast time of Power Stab right? The skill always felt awful and was part of why GS always felt so clunky to me but its the price you payed for having an evade . But now we have no evade and the awful auto attack? Absolute joke.

Lol these comments first off it will be interesting to see if you get 15 endurance per hit (as it cleaves 3 targets) or just one either thats still pretty powerfull also do you guys noy see the aoe 3 target knockback evade? Lol man people are not reading it in the full context.

This.Never take anyone srsly who uses "lmfao (dude)" to make a point.It just isn't an argument.

@Levetty.1279 said:

This.Never take anyone srsly who uses "lmfao (dude)" to make a point.It just isn't an argument.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

@Sevans.4619 said:Excited to play with the sword changes as I've always preferred sword / offhand for its acrobatic style. They genuinely seem like good changes and Monarch's Leap does respectable damage so having it on the ready is nice.

I feel like stalker strike might actually be very strong in a power build, it looks like it’ll be literally our only other hard hitting one hit ability (other one being maul) and is much faster. So we can remorseless it.

Its got a really low base damage already so I feel like the increased damage won't do much for it.

So my fully detailed opinion.

Long range shot : At least not in PvP? I think the problem is not ranger but because people are quite slow and going 0 defense in WvW.

Dagger: Great changes.The dagger was so weak. I do not think I will use it because condi ranger in PvE use torch and are still too slow for the sPvP mode. But maybe I will try to make a thief like playstyle.

Sword: I have mixt opinions about this.Hornet sting can be interrupted and moves you while serpent strike locks you in place but is instant. I am not a fan of hiding serpent strike behind a rush. This is losing control. Do you want to go in then dodge? Then do not go in. Do you want to rush out then be locked in place? No. I think the 5s window is a smart decision. One question remains. If I use Monarch leap, then Hornet sting. Is my skill 2 Monarch leap or Serpent strike? My guess is it goes back to Monarch leap.

Greatsword: Great QoL and a big why?Counterattack : Great block change. The only way to do it right now is to disable the lock on option. Hitting multiple targets is awesome! But you can make your allies miss their skills ^^.Crippling Throw: Ok in Pve, but we will miss it in sPvP to stay on target because hilt bash is missing 80% of the time on a moving target.Power Stab: Coming out of nowhere and really bad. I guess in PvE auto attacking on greatsword is the same as mobs auto attack so it is OP? Is it OP in sPvP? No. People rarely can spam the dodge. In fact I never see it in a real fight situation. Ranger greatsword has defense written all over it. Just one huge attack on 2, rest is more utility/defense. Without it how do ranger sustain on point battle? They cannot. Meanwhile you have mirage and thief with high dodge time + high damage/pressure. You have holo and warrior with high block time, regen and high damage. A ranger is already forced to alternate between range and close combat. Now you can remove the close combat. Also getting endurance if it hits means 0 value if you are full endurance and probably a high chance of missing/beeing dodge.

Getting rid of the evade on the auto attack on Ranger Greatsword is a HUGE nerf that basically kills the weapon for me.Ranger Greatsword has ALWAYS been a defensive weapon for the most part, and evading 50% on the auto attack was the primary source of that defense.It also comboed nicely with Striders Defense to add quickness to the auto for really good sustain. That's all gone!
Ranger Greatsword is basically yet another offensive weapon of which Ranger already has too many.Axe/Warhorn outplays Greatsword at every level and at 900 range.

@Levetty.1279 said:

Its got a really low base damage already so I feel like the increased damage won't do much for it.

Well, if it’s being increased by 200%, then that’ll put the base damage at about 207, or 414 if they’re movement impaired which is a pretty sizable hit (not as good as mail granted but still very potent for a move that’s also defensive).