Upcoming Balance Notes - 10/1/2019

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

@azzardome.9184 said:

@azzardome.9184 said:nerfing base thief and daredevil while deadeye is left untouched. same goes for condi drd. some real big brain balance here

How did you figure that the changes are a nerf to core and DD? Genuine question, the patch doesn't seem to nerf anything but is mostly QoL stuff, and swipe got a cooldown buff.

Improvisation getting a huge nerf? have you ever played thief before? condi drd didnt get touched while core sd is getting a huge nerf. same with dp daredevil. you dont see how that is a problem. the two builds left on thief that require some lvl of base skill getting even more nerfed.

Yeah, I've played thief for 6k+ hours. I see the improv change as a good thing actually, given the reduction in swipe cooldown it makes the trait a lot more reliable.

Also, painting the Devs making an RnG trait more predictable as a nerf to skillful builds is an interesting stance to take. If the build's success is based on skill, then less RnG is a good thing, right?

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@azzardome.9184 said:nerfing base thief and daredevil while deadeye is left untouched. same goes for condi drd. some real big brain balance here

How did you figure that the changes are a nerf to core and DD? Genuine question, the patch doesn't seem to nerf anything but is mostly QoL stuff, and swipe got a cooldown buff.

Improvisation getting a huge nerf? have you ever played thief before? condi drd didnt get touched while core sd is getting a huge nerf. same with dp daredevil. you dont see how that is a problem. the two builds left on thief that require some lvl of base skill getting even more nerfed.

Yeah, I've played thief for 6k+ hours. I see the improv change as a good thing actually, given the reduction in swipe cooldown it makes the trait a lot more reliable.

Also, painting the Devs making an RnG trait more predictable as a nerf to skillful builds is an interesting stance to take. If the build's success is based on skill, then less RnG is a good thing, right?

How is it rng ? it is always the third attack in the chain. The thing is you can use quickness to alter the speed of the chain to get the evade when you need it, in my mind that is active play and not rng ;)

@Sansar.1302 said:

How is it rng ? it is always the third attack in the chain. The thing is you can use quickness to alter the speed of the chain to get the evade when you need it, in my mind that is active play and not rng ;)

I believe hes talking about improv resetting dagger storm is rng, as that's usually what the thiefs hoping for on most occasions.

Necro changes are a bit too much in my opinionRanger changes for WWW seem okWarrior buff is ..interestingScrapper buff to hammer skills is needed,because scrappers in order to do damage (in pve) they are using flamethrower.....and the hammer is useless:)Its the scourge im a bit sad about....the pve changes..scourge is my main...ill probably have to main another char.......a warrior maybe

@Vishnok.7059 said:Necro changes are a bit too much in my opinionRanger changes for WWW seem okWarrior buff is ..interestingScrapper buff to hammer skills is needed,because scrappers in order to do damage (in pve) they are using flamethrower.....and the hammer is useless:)Its the scourge im a bit sad about....the pve changes..scourge is my main...ill probably have to main another char.......a warrior maybe

If playing scrapper without kitswapping, currently the highest dps is spamming Bomb and toolbelt skills.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

rng or not it was the trait that made sd playable. i guess they want to make everyone play trash condi daredevil or deadeye by the looks of it. great way to balance. yet again making build that require skill and actual knowledge about the game yet more useless. lets buff condi daredevil while we are at it, like 4 conditions on an evade in not enough? now you got deadly ambition on every signe evade.

Ranger

The removal of Crippling Throw and the evade on Power Stab drastically lowers the skill ceiling on greatsword.Experienced ranger mains will have years of muscle memory thrown out the window and thousands of hours of practice invalidated.The sword changes don't make much sense either. I think the current version will be better than what we're getting.

If you really wanted to make ranger sword better, here are my suggestions:
  • Hornet's Sting should have its windup removed so that it evades instantly.
  • Serpent's Strike should have it's cooldown reduced to 12 seconds, increase the power damage to 550 base, increase the power scaling to 1.5, and double the damage when striking foes lower than 50% health. Finally, instead of moving in a semicircle, change the animation so that it becomes a 450 range forward dash.
Dagger:
  • Increase the range on Stalker's Strike to 600 on top of the other changes.
  • Crippling Talon should have it's activation time reduced to 1/4 seconds, the projectile speed increased, and a short daze on hit on top of the other changes.
Greatsword:
  • Keep Crippling Throw in the game and have this skill flip to Counterattack Kick when we block an attack in melee range.
  • Keep the evade on Power Stab.

-> These changes will give the s/d weaponset more damage (which it currently lacks), more utility, and improves the feel, fluidity, and reliability.

@azzardome.9184 said:

rng or not it was the trait that made sd playable. i guess they want to make everyone play trash condi daredevil or deadeye by the looks of it. great way to balance. yet again making build that require skill and actual knowledge about the game yet more useless. lets buff condi daredevil while we are at it, like 4 conditions on an evade in not enough? now you got deadly ambition on every signe evade.

What's the difference between these builds and de stealth bs that cant fight without invisibility? Or any other cheese gw2 builds on any class ? Nothin! Lol so who really cares I say

I don't get this whole condi DD complaints about it being no skill. Why cuz it's so different than s2,s3 spam with occasional throw dagger etc. thief is a class u literally spam the same few skills over and over doing the same one trick rotations, only thing different is timing. Condi right now just gives u more dps while doing the same spam over and over when compared to power builds due to lotus. That in no way makes power more skillfull. It just does less dps.

Some of these changes for ranger really don't help help any format and I don't understand why they are being pushed. Dagger off-hand changes are nice but what should be done should be a rework of offhand dagger overall instead of just buffing the skills. Anyone who has ever used off-hand Dagger on ranger knows how clunky it feels. If anything it should focus more on conditions so perhaps a viable bleed poison build could exist rather than some odd feeling offhand that only does minor niche things.

The Sword changes look interesting in concept but if you actually use the weapon the only relevant skill for the most part is serpent strike. PvE and WvW don't use sword because it's better to just use other things while in PvP the only thing that people use it for is mostly serpent strike. Pretty much the only time that you use the Hornet Sting/Monarch Sting combo for is to move to a place faster (look backward from where you want to go press 2 move camera 180 degrees then press 2 again and hope it doesn't screw you over by ignoring your camera movement). Some people might say that hornet sting is a good running away tool but let me tell you that hornet sting basically evades ABSOLUTELY NOTHING the casting time before the skill actually goes into effect is too long for it to dodge anything and you'll probably go to under 50% health or dead while the stationary casting time is active (or even interrupted in that matter). Locking the most useful tool under Monarch Leap is also a death sentence for anyone using sword. Monarch Leap already has the issue of not evading attacks and still having the same leap time (unable to pretty much move or use skills) leading to just jumping into your death while dueling people. Maybe the issue could be slightly mitigated by making it so that Hornet Sting recharges Monarch Leap regardless if it hits a target though the correct changes should have been to just reduce the stationary casting time of Hornet Sting and sword would actually be more playable instead of just auto attack and Serpent Strike being the only thing you use.

Going to Greatsword, the Counterattack changes are much appreciated, 10/10 change, should have came much earlier. However in regards to switching Greatsword 3rd attack in Auto-chain is going way too far. Saying "We hope these changes will make the weapon feel a little smoother while removing some of the frustrating random dodges that happen when fighting against it." is just saying that Rangers have peanuts for brains and disregarding high level decision making. If you're a actually good ranger the Greatsword 3rd attack of the Auto-Chain can be used extremely well to evade large bursts by hitting two hits on the auto chain and holding the 3rd for a short while to wait for the perfect time to use it (3rd attack generally lasts like 1-2 second or something, never really checked the exact time myself, but 1-2 seconds is enough time to be relevant decision making for when to use it). Giving endurance is non-existent compensation to removing the dodge. 15 endurance isn't a full bar of endurance to dodge something, in fact it isn't even half. My only assumption is that the Greatsword Auto-chain now ends with a endurance increase just for the Survival Trait tree.

It's sad to see a once moderately great creature that is the power ranger (Soulbeast power) be pushed further and further down to have to run the Survival Trait tree to be more effective. It feels like a moderate sum of changes these days are just to force specs out of using specific Trait trees. Last one I can firmly remember is the nerfing of pets for druid by 20% making running Beastmastery become much less effective (used to be good as an alternative in random groups for Fractals of the Mist). Overall, please don't make unnecessary changes that either make the class more confusing or to force specific Trait tree usage.

Engineer

How many times are you going to solely focus on scrapper, ArenaNet? Sure, it's nice that you buffed the hammer, but that also creates another problem. You're making scrapper deal more damage even though the whole point of scrapper is to be a tank. Reducing cooldowns sure, but buffing the damage?

Power Scrapper is Useless in all game modes, BY FAR, so idk why did u write this; Even bunker scrapper is actually trash (and more with the +50% warrior buff) The only decent scrapper is the healing one FOR WVW.

I agree about core and holo; both the most unfair nerfed classes, and anet still nefing the last one. (In PvE)

Wow, I'm actually impressed by the scale of these changes. I mean sure there is a lot of conversation to be had about them, positive and negative, but they are meaty. I'm really happy to see Anet getting in there and reworking entire trait lines like this, kudos for the effort. Feels good to finally have a tiny bit of hope for the game again

Loving the ranger sword changes btw.

I don't think Anet is really paying attention, at all.Weapon swap is 10 seconds while in combat, Warrior can reduce that by 5 seconds by taking the discipline trait line. So, now we can also take tactics, and choose a trait that reduces that by another 3 seconds. Really Anet, a 2 second weapon swap for a class that already has more than enough tools.Couple that with a 50% damage increase vs barrier targets and 25% damage to targets above 90% health, completely throws any semblence of balance out the window.

I hope you are looking at ways to also give every other class the HUGE damage boost and nearly removing weapon swap cooldowns too.

@Ubi.4136 said:I don't think Anet is really paying attention, at all.Weapon swap is 10 seconds while in combat, Warrior can reduce that by 5 seconds by taking the discipline trait line. So, now we can also take tactics, and choose a trait that reduces that by another 3 seconds. Really Anet, a 2 second weapon swap for a class that already has more than enough tools.Couple that with a 50% damage increase vs barrier targets and 25% damage to targets above 90% health, completely throws any semblence of balance out the window.

I hope you are looking at ways to also give every other class the HUGE damage boost and nearly removing weapon swap cooldowns too.

Interesting. I didnt know weapon swap is counted as active weapon skill. I guess you didnt pay attention either.

Symbol of Blades: Removed the double strike that occurs when the symbol is first created. Increased damage of each strike by 20% to compensate. Overall damage is unchanged.

Hello devs, please consider this:

• Most players in PvP/WvW will not stand in symbols for more than 1 or 2 ticks
  • By removing the inital strike from symbol of blades and distributing it over the duration of the symbol, it is effectively a damage nerf in pvp, unless a player stands in the symbol for the duration of 4 seconds, which is extremely unlikely unless they are in downed state
  • If a player is only hit by the initial tick of the symbol and moves out of it, the change to symbol of blades is effectively a 40% damage reduction
  • If a player is only hit by two ticks of the symbol, the change to symbol of blades is effectively a 20% damage reduction

Please consider undoing this change OR compensating in PvP/WvW, as this skill was unintentionally nerfed purely for the sake of standardization(for those unaware, other symbol skills function like the new version of symbol of blades). It may seem irrelevant, however in PvP every small bit matters, and this isn't the first time guardian received an unintentional nerf in PvP/WvW due to standardization of skills. Previously, lesser smite condition was changed to cast after healing(like other skills) which means it no longer clears poison prior to healing and feels clunky. I understand the need for standardization - it streamlines things and reduces confusion regarding skills, however, please consider compensating lost performance. This was already done in PvE, since NPCs stand in symbols so the overall damage should not change, but it is simply not the case outside of that game mode.