Upcoming Balance Notes - 10/1/2019

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

I also think +50% on warrior-damage is a bit unreasonable against scrappers.Granted, no one really runs tactics in WvW, but the patch looks like some warriors should want to at some point.At that point, it will be good against scourges and unreasonable against heal-scrappers. Pistol-1 gives like 38 barrier.

However, power-scrapper are usually at max-barrier cap and scourges have also great barriers up. In those cases +50% is reasonable.

So, how about a barrier-treshold?"Deals +50% damage against targets with more than 2000 barrier".That would spare scrappers that don't specialize in barrier generation, still hit through bulwark.gyro and would not change anything against other classes.

@Me Games Ma.8426 said:Lost Time and Delayed Reactions is really infuriating.Pre patch Lost Time did damage and slow on Landing a CC without an ICD that means you could place a gravity well on a group of mobs and they all got 3 additional damage hits and 9s of slow.The new delayed reactions will turn this into 3s of slow.

If you happen to take both lost time and delayed reactions you get 3s of slow on each mob and 3s of alacrity.

You lose: 5x6s of slow and 15 packages of damage. You gain 3s of alacrity. This whole thing is not even commented on as a nerf but just stated as redundancies thst were cleared. It's a clear nerf that I don't understand.

Also a trait that offers 3s of alacrity everytime I alow a target (with 3s icd) is not a worthy grandmaster trait.The ONLY mesmer skill able to trigger this mkre than once is time warp. Each other slow applycant is crippled by the ICD.

To make delayed reactions at least remotely as good as lost time was pre patch remove the ICD (at least in PvE) so you can stack some slow with F3 and gravity well. The new grandmaster trait is just a meme at this point. We have better access to alacrity by shattering than using this trait.

A thought occurs... Don't know if this is sound, or if it's even viable.

But was this possibly a way to give us slow on demand while also giving us access to ChronoPhantasma?

I also don't agree with the internal cooldown, and find it quite stingy with the slow. Also definitely find the alacrity as a GM is pretty silly. However, as nice as the damage packets were; how much stock are we putting into a (0.4 coefficent, x 3) on a few select skills, with rather lengthy cooldowns?

Compared to the synergy with Danger time maintaining access to reliable slow for that +15% crit, +10% Crit dmg (that also affects illusions), but now with Chronophantasma?

Personally I would just like our 4th shatter back, or Distortion.

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

• Barrier: Updated the visual effects of this effect to be less profession specific.
  • Alacrity: Updated the visual effects of this effect to be less profession specific.

finally!

Also, I like all the changes except for maybe the detection pulse change.

However;

Warrior

• Call to Arms: This skill has been renamed Call of Valor, and its functionality has changed. Removed an unnecessary unblockable skill fact. This skill now removes 3 conditions from affected allies instead of specific conditions. It also now applies barrier in addition to vigor.

I really don't like that this will have barrier. I know you guys are working towards support warrior but I think barrier on it will be overkill on top of it's innate tankiness. Just my opinion.

• Master:
    • Warrior's Cunning: This new trait increases damage by 25% against foes with health above 90%. Additionally, it increases damage by 50% against foes that have barrier. These bonuses do not stack.

and lastly, this. Dwayna save us. Can this be looked at before being released? This is too much. Imagine a weaver cast a dual attunement skill and applies barrier to himself. He cannot opt out of not having barrier but he will suffer the next 5 seconds receiving 50% more damage from a warrior, not to mention that teenee tiny amount of said barrier.

@FtoPScrub.5476 said:

Symbol of Blades: Removed the double strike that occurs when the symbol is first created. Increased damage of each strike by 20% to compensate. Overall damage is unchanged.

Hello devs, please consider this:
  • Most players in PvP/WvW will not stand in symbols for more than 1 or 2 ticks
  • By removing the inital strike from symbol of blades and distributing it over the duration of the symbol, it is effectively a damage nerf in pvp, unless a player stands in the symbol for the duration of 4 seconds, which is extremely unlikely unless they are in downed state
  • If a player is only hit by the initial tick of the symbol and moves out of it, the change to symbol of blades is effectively a
    40% damage reduction
  • If a player is only hit by two ticks of the symbol, the change to symbol of blades is effectively a
    20% damage reduction

Please consider undoing this change OR compensating in PvP/WvW, as this skill was unintentionally nerfed purely for the sake of standardization(for those unaware, other symbol skills function like the new version of symbol of blades). It may seem irrelevant, however in PvP every small bit matters, and this isn't the first time guardian received an unintentional nerf in PvP/WvW due to standardization of skills. Previously, lesser smite condition was changed to cast after healing(like other skills) which means it no longer clears poison prior to healing and feels clunky. I understand the need for standardization - it streamlines things and reduces confusion regarding skills, however, please consider compensating lost performance. This was already done in PvE, since NPCs stand in symbols so the overall damage should not change, but it is simply not the case outside of that game mode.

Necro got no compensation for the delay on shade abilities, and that's pretty much exactly the same. Why should guard get something for it?

@aceofbass.2163 said:

• Barrier: Updated the visual effects of this effect to be less profession specific.
  • Alacrity: Updated the visual effects of this effect to be less profession specific.

finally!

However;

Warrior
  • Call to Arms: This skill has been renamed Call of Valor, and its functionality has changed. Removed an unnecessary unblockable skill fact. This skill now removes 3 conditions from affected allies instead of specific conditions. It also now applies barrier in addition to vigor.

I really don't like that this will have barrier. I know you guys are working towards support warrior but I think barrier on it will be overkill on top of it's innate tankiness. Just my opinion.
  • Master:
    • Warrior's Cunning: This new trait increases damage by 25% against foes with health above 90%. Additionally, it increases damage by 50% against foes that have barrier. These bonuses do not stack.

and lastly, this. Dwayna save us. Can this be looked at before being released? This is too much. Imagine a weaver cast a dual attunement skill and applies barrier to himself. He cannot opt out of not having barrier but he will suffer the next 5 seconds receiving 50% more damage from a warrior, not to mention that teenee tiny amount of said barrier.

I played yesterday rev w/o barrier trait lol, need to get used to it before patch hits.

What will happen is that players will have to focus on barrier builds if they have barriers. if there’s a small barrier that player is in trouble.

Ventari rev can have constant small barrier generation, time to choose another trait to wvw/spvp. :)

But imo I do t mind the change of pace, alot of players are being carried by spam and barrier output, I believe players will have to spam less and analyZe what they can do.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

finally!

However;

Warrior

• Master:

I played yesterday rev w/o barrier trait lol, need to get used to it before patch hits.

What will happen is that players will have to focus on barrier builds if they have barriers. if there’s a small barrier that player is in trouble.

Ventari rev can have constant small barrier generation, time to choose another trait to wvw/spvp. :)

But imo I do t mind the change of pace, alot of players are being carried by spam and barrier output, I believe players will have to spam less and analyZe what they can do.

This ^Itl be great to have a class that counters all the barrier spam even though it's on a class I dont play much it still helps. I'm also glad scourges have to decide to spam their shades at range OR on themselves. This spamming shades as well as covering themselves to cut off any melee attempts is cheese incarnate at DE perma stealth levels lol.

It is unbeleivable!!!You discussed with us all the changes and got feedback and then I have to discover a few days before the patch additional nerf to chrono with Lost Time rework.

I found the only playable build in www solo roaming with domi/chaos/chrono sinergy on interrupt traits and you destroyed it just with one patch.

Mantra of distraction = cannot interrupt while escapeChaotic interruption = cant securely land shatters...and this is a must because of missing illusionary personaLost Time = no extra dmg that balance all the stuff you removed from chrono

I played a lot in www last two months and I can say that I was the only chrono on the battlefield playing under power prof.Idk I can play anymore.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

finally!

However;

Warrior

• Master:

Uhmm...what? Did I miss something? How can ventari provide barrier. Unless you are equipping rune of sanctuary

@aceofbass.2163 said:

@"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

finally!

However;

Warrior

• Master:

Uhmm...what? Did I miss something? How can ventari provide barrier. Unless you are equipping rune of sanctuary

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Resilient_Spirit

Net nerf to ranger with those sword and greatsword changes, and still no work on druid.

I don't know what you want me to say. The changes don't make sword more fluid for me, or any "veteran ranger", it makes it worse. Longer cooldowns, less utility and mobility.

Removing evade on greatsword is also not cool, but on top of that not decreasing the cast time which was there because it had an evade in the first place? It's the sword autochain all over again; you're glossing over why a skill worked like it did, and don't change it appropriately. Sword still has a single target attack in its autochain, and now greatsword will have a unnecessarily long cast time on its third autoattack. Both remnants of the old skills.

@aceofbass.2163 said:

• Master:

i agree. i think if it would be +15% in pve and +8-10% in pvp it would be perfectly fine

@Virdo.1540 said:

• Master:

i agree. i think if it would be +15% in pve and +8-10% in pvp it would be perfectly fine

While I am sure this will get nerfed be the end of next week I do not expect that far of a nerf, at best they'll cut it to 25% if they do.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Have 20,000hp and 5hp barrier from doing pathetic power damage with condi pistols

Warrior does 50% more damage

Someone over at Anet clearly mains warrior and everybody else failed a sanity check.

I've gone through so many comments so far wondering when this was going to be mentioned, and was I mad for thinking this is ridiculous.

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

Warrior

– Charge: The icon for this skill has been updated. This skill now only removes movement-impairing conditions. It now increases the damage of affected allies’ next 2 attacks by 25% (10% in WvW) for 8 seconds in addition to its previous effects. Increased swiftness duration from 10 seconds to 15 seconds. This skill is now a blast finisher.Wow, now warriors have two blast finishers on warhorn, but necromancers still don’t have even one? :angry:Things, I’d love to see:

Necromancer

– Wail of Doom: This skill is now a blast finisher.

Guardian

– Shelter: This skill is now classified as a consecration. The base block duration has been decreased from 2 seconds to 1 second.

Mesmer

– Ether Feast: This skill is is now classified as a glamour.

--NECRO--

Hot garbage !I was having low expectations but arenanet surprised me yet again with how incopetent and unrealistic they are.

1) Death magic is getting its 3x rework. No real work has been put in, nothing new. The numbers are weak. The mechanic feels CLUNKY cz necro has to be slow and clunky like superglue - while everyone else is playing guildwars, the fluid good feeling game. The useless "on death effects" the stayed. Traits that are 10x too weak have been kept same.

2) Scourge changes. They dont change ANYTHING in WVW. They only make PVP unplayable and Pve worse.They failed the main point.

3) BLOOD BOND BUGFIX - Reality matters. Nothing else. No dreamworld or arenenets design teams concepts. YES - it was a bug. AND WITH A RANDOM bug that healed you for 5-15k in a 1v1 .... NECRO WAS STILL WORST SUSTAIN BUILD. slow to rotate. cant escape 1v1. Instadies to +1. Ez focus unless pocketed by babysitter.So I just wonder WHERES MY EXTRA 15k HEALING :) Dont care where or how, just asking where and when is compesation buff ?

4) Other class balance - 0 NERFSRAMPAGE ... nothingCONDI THIEF .. nothing , have a shorter stealTHIEF IMPROVISATION ---- oh you feel clunky ? here have some QoL that we took from necro :)REST --- still 10x dodges and 1-shot potential

@"Flumek.9043" said:--NECRO--

Hot garbage !I was having low expectations but arenanet surprised me yet again with how incopetent and unrealistic they are.

1) Death magic is getting its 3x rework. No real work has been put in, nothing new. The numbers are weak. The mechanic feels CLUNKY cz necro has to be slow and clunky like superglue - while everyone else is playing guildwars, the fluid good feeling game. The useless "on death effects" the stayed. Traits that are 10x too weak have been kept same.

2) Scourge changes. They dont change ANYTHING in WVW. They only make PVP unplayable and Pve worse.They failed the main point.

3) BLOOD BOND BUGFIX - Reality matters. Nothing else. No dreamworld or arenenets design teams concepts. YES - it was a bug. AND WITH A RANDOM bug that healed you for 5-15k in a 1v1 .... NECRO WAS STILL WORST SUSTAIN BUILD. slow to rotate. cant escape 1v1. Instadies to +1. Ez focus unless pocketed by babysitter.So I just wonder WHERES MY EXTRA 15k HEALING :) Dont care where or how, just asking where and when is compesation buff ?

4) Other class balance - 0 NERFSRAMPAGE ... nothingCONDI THIEF .. nothing , have a shorter stealTHIEF IMPROVISATION ---- oh you feel clunky ? here have some QoL that we took from necro :)REST --- still 10x dodges and 1-shot potential

Couldnt say it any better... Another sustain nerf for necros because we allready have enough dodges, blocks and invulns.... Oh wait wrong class....

@Sarlan.7682 said:

3) BLOOD BOND BUGFIX - Reality matters. Nothing else. No dreamworld or arenenets design teams concepts. YES - it was a bug. AND WITH A RANDOM bug that healed you for 5-15k in a 1v1 .... NECRO WAS STILL WORST SUSTAIN BUILD. slow to rotate. cant escape 1v1. Instadies to +1. Ez focus unless pocketed by babysitter.So I just wonder
WHERES MY EXTRA 15k HEALING
:) Dont care where or how, just asking where and when is compesation buff ?

Couldnt say it any better... Another sustain nerf for necros because we allready have enough dodges, blocks and invulns.... Oh wait wrong class....

Not that I dont semi agree but u guys sound like scourge was suffering lol seemed to be pretty great for pve,pvp and THE class along side fb in wvw. The not being able to cast a shade at range and on yourself was a great change. Upping target cap to from 5 to 10 savant was silly asf and baffles everyone as most complaints were about scourge in wvw which is now more broken. I don't know how to improve them in pve and pvp but the shade spamming at range and on its self was pure cheese just as condi thief is.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

3) BLOOD BOND BUGFIX - Reality matters. Nothing else. No dreamworld or arenenets design teams concepts. YES - it was a bug. AND WITH A RANDOM bug that healed you for 5-15k in a 1v1 .... NECRO WAS STILL WORST SUSTAIN BUILD. slow to rotate. cant escape 1v1. Instadies to +1. Ez focus unless pocketed by babysitter.So I just wonder

Not that I dont semi agree but u guys sound like scourge was suffering lol seemed to be pretty great for pve,pvp and THE class along side fb in wvw. The not being able to cast a shade at range and on yourself was a great change. Upping target cap to from 5 to 10 savant was silly asf and baffles everyone as most complaints were about scourge in wvw which is now more broken. I don't know how to improve them in pve and pvp but the shade spamming at range and on its self was pure cheese just as condi thief is.

It was alright in PvP (great with a sup FB) and pretty much nonexistend in endgame PvE aside from very niche cases like Epi bot on SH.

A thing to note though, is that in theory at least I agree with the design change of the Shade effects being either on the Scourge or the Shade, the problem is just that such a change needs to come with vast compensation in terms of greatly increased DPS for PvE and any defensive capabilities in PvP, to be viable, as well as a redesign of the Minor Traits.You have to consider that Necro is the focus priority Nr.1 in PvP just because it's so easy to kill already, with the Shade around Scourge being the only mechanical countermeasure for focus Scourge has, and you already had to be god tier at kiting to stay alive for more than a 3 seconds into an engagement.With the Scourge losing it's ability to self barrier, condi cleanse etc. as well as to put out any melee counter pressure, the moment it put's out a Shade is a certain death sentence in PvP.

Additionally, the core issue of Scourge (and to a point Necro in general) of being ridiculous strong when cleaving many targets, and being fairly lacklustre against single targets (see performance and popularity in WvW vs Fractals/Raids), is still not addressed, with Traits like Sand Savant, being the cause of many of those problems, not even getting a look in.Quite the opposite, it seems like it will perform even better in large scale, and even worse in small scale now.

So the reasonable fear is, that they, as usual with Necro, chop it up to make room for "future improvements" which then never come.A process which already left Necro hacked up and feeling incomplete ever since the beta weekends into launch 7 years ago, and more so with many patches since, which then had to be covered up with broken/OP and unhealthy for the game elite spec mechanics as band aid (just for those to then be chopped up over time too, until the next spec).

Necro imo needs a full core rework (Traits, Weapons, Utilities, core mechanic), and things like whatever this DM change is are not going to cut it.Otherwise it will always be broken in one place/situation, and useless/left behind in all the others, as it currently just isn't a well rounded or well designed profession by any means.

@Asum.4960 said:

It was alright in PvP (great with a sup FB) and pretty much nonexistend in endgame PvE aside from very niche cases like Epi bot on SH.

A thing to note though, is that in theory at least I agree with the design change of the Shade effects being either on the Scourge or the Shade, the problem is just that such a change needs to come with vast compensation in terms of greatly increased DPS for PvE and any defensive capabilities in PvP, to be viable, as well as a redesign of the Minor Traits.You have to consider that Necro is the focus priority Nr.1 in PvP just because it's so easy to kill already, with the Shade around Scourge being the only mechanical countermeasure for focus Scourge has, and you already had to be god tier at kiting to stay alive for more than a 3 seconds into an engagement.With the Scourge losing it's ability to self barrier, condi cleanse etc. as well as to put out any melee counter pressure, the moment it put's out a Shade is a certain death sentence in PvP.

Additionally, the core issue of Scourge (and to a point Necro in general) of being ridiculous strong when cleaving many targets, and being fairly lacklustre against single targets (see performance and popularity in WvW vs Fractals/Raids), is still not addressed, with Traits like Sand Savant, being the cause of many of those problems, not even getting a look in.Quite the opposite, it seems like it will perform even better in large scale, and even worse in small scale now.

So the reasonable fear is, that they, as usual with Necro, chop it up to make room for "future improvements" which then never come.A process which already left Necro hacked up and feeling incomplete ever since the beta weekends into launch 7 years ago, and more so with many patches since, which then had to be covered up with broken/OP and unhealthy for the game elite spec mechanics as band aid.

Maybe anet needs to think of a way for scourge to fare better in melee or add a bit of mobility to its weapon sets. Right now it can pressure ranged with shades and staff, it can do ok melee medium range and close with axe/x no? And defensively create barriers on its self so they'd have to be careful cuz I'd imagine it wouldn't take much to push them over the line.