Audio issues after Windows 10 update

After the recent update to Windows 10, this game, as well as a few others, have been having issues with the audio where parts of the games are much quieter then they should be. In this game's case, I am unable to hear characters talking, especially during the story instances, unless I am facing them directly. Microsoft has said they are working on a patch to fix this, but is there a workaround for this issue until then? Any info you have will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

OP ... it's kinda funny I was having this very conversation only last night with a guild mate.We are often wondering why we keep having to remit things likecUi sound, music, environment sounds as they either go loud or very quiet and yesterday was starting to get infuriating.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" " thanks for the link I will take a look at that.

EDIT - yep Inc that sounds a familiar issue and hopefully it won't be too long for MS to get their act together with a revised patch. +1

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:OP ... it's kinda funny I was having this very conversation only last night with a guild mate.We are often wondering why we keep having to remit things likecUi sound, music, environment sounds as they either go loud or very quiet and yesterday was starting to get infuriating.

EDIT - yep Inc that sounds a familiar issue and hopefully it won't be too long for MS to get their act together with a revised patch. +1

They released a new patch yesterday and it states the issue is fixed,i don't use surround myself so i can't check if it works.

September 26, 2019—KB4517211 (OS Build 18362.387)https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517211/windows-10-update-kb4517211

"Updates an issue that causes audio in certain games to be quieter or different than expected. "

@Caedmon.6798 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:OP ... it's kinda funny I was having this very conversation only last night with a guild mate.We are often wondering why we keep having to remit things likecUi sound, music, environment sounds as they either go loud or very quiet and yesterday was starting to get infuriating.

They released a new patch yesterday and it states the issue is fixed,i don't use surround myself so i can't check if it works.

September 26, 2019—KB4517211 (OS Build 18362.387)

"Updates an issue that causes audio in certain games to be quieter or different than expected. "

Not seen that update land yet... I will go take a look a see if it is indeed fixed my particular issue

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

September 26, 2019—KB4517211 (OS Build 18362.387)

Not seen that update land yet... I will go take a look a see if it is indeed fixed my particular issue

Ive installed it already,it was set as an optional download for me instead of an auto download.

Yep installed last night... it was an optional patch as you say.Played a while aftercwithout issue accept for some very noticeable FPS spiking, something I have never really had an issue with before ... jumping from 90+ FPS to < 30 FPS in a heart beat even in non character heavy non particle effect areas across many maps... even noticeable when pushing settings down low and updating Nvidia driver and settings.... definitely something changed and not in a good way I think.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Yep installed last night... it was an optional patch as you say.Played a while aftercwithout issue accept for some very noticeable FPS spiking, something I have never really had an issue with before ... jumping from 90+ FPS to < 30 FPS in a heart beat even in non character heavy non particle effect areas across many maps... even noticeable when pushing settings down low and updating Nvidia driver and settings.... definitely something changed and not in a good way I think.

I'm not noticing the fps drops you currently have,my game seems to run as it always ran. Although i'm not running around in pve tbh,i havent done the new maps either so i have no idea about the performance on those maps. I'm mostly in wvw only. Maybe try switching some graphics down till you notice whats dropping your fps ? Or reset it by removing local.dat from your roaming folder.

@Caedmon.6798 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Yep installed last night... it was an optional patch as you say.Played a while aftercwithout issue accept for some very noticeable FPS spiking, something I have never really had an issue with before ... jumping from 90+ FPS to < 30 FPS in a heart beat even in non character heavy non particle effect areas across many maps... even noticeable when pushing settings down low and updating Nvidia driver and settings.... definitely something changed and not in a good way I think.

I'm not noticing the fps drops you currently have,my game seems to run as it always ran. Although i'm not running around in pve tbh,i havent done the new maps either so i have no idea about the performance on those maps. I'm mostly in wvw only. Maybe try switching some graphics down till you notice whats dropping your fps ? Or reset it by removing local.dat from your roaming folder.

Tbh it's every map not just the crowded new map..... Yep been playing with all settings... nothing makes a difference and weird cos GPU is only getting high for about 30% loading and cpu load around 40% so it's not throttling causing it my end. I mean I normally run around with 90+ FPS most places and only a heavy reset night 3-way in SM causes any significant issues, but even then I see a reasonable 40ish FPS and WvW is well documented for that issue.Oh well... maybe the Win 10 patch and the latest Nvidia driver need time to be bedded in and some optimisation with GW2 done.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Tbh it's every map not just the crowded new map..... Yep been playing with all settings... nothing makes a difference and weird cos GPU is only getting high for about 30% loading and cpu load around 40% so it's not throttling causing it my end. I mean I normally run around with 90+ FPS most places and only a heavy reset night 3-way in SM causes any significant issues, but even then I see a reasonable 40ish FPS and WvW is well documented for that issue.Oh well... maybe the Win 10 patch and the latest Nvidia driver need time to be bedded in and some optimisation with GW2 done.

I wish Anet ever added notes if they make changes to their engine,server side or the gw2 engine itself. Like i remember reading some post on reddit where a dev commented that they actually switched to better servers but due to some configuration we actually had more skill lag or something. Why do i have to read this on a comment on reddit ? Why dont they post this stuff in balance patches. Cus when you have issues out of nowhere theres a whole list to go through to figure out the issue,which is just damn annoying,when its usually cus of a w10 update or a change to the gw2 servers or their engine.

But anyway,besides some skill lag tonight on alpine bl i havent noticed anything weird to my fps yet. I'm also using 436.02 drivers and they seem fine since i started using them a while back,might be you have other drivers which might be your cause.