Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2

INOY.6945

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Not knowing coding, I can't imagine it to be that hard/costly to add support for an extra alphabet in chat, so I fully support!

Didn't GW1 support cyrillic letters?

Well its not only that, they will have to have support persons that read Cyrillic.Incase of people asking for help or reporting abuse, so yes it will cost more money if they add it.

@Exstazik.5847 said:

@yoni.7015 said:I think it would need to much money to translate the game into Russian and I don’t think there is really a need for it. Everyone should be able to understand English good enough to understand the game.

NOBODY asking for a full game translation, please read the topic...People just ask for cyrrilic alphabet support so they can type in chat on their native language. Like german, french and spanish players do.

And then others are asking for Arabic or Hebrew alphabet. I think the Latin alphabet is enough. It would look weird to have Cyrillic words in map chat or party chat.

@yoni.7015 said:

@yoni.7015 said:I think it would need to much money to translate the game into Russian and I don’t think there is really a need for it. Everyone should be able to understand English good enough to understand the game.

NOBODY asking for a full game translation, please read the topic...People just ask for cyrrilic alphabet support so they can type in chat on their native language. Like german, french and spanish players do.

And then others are asking for Arabic or Hebrew alphabet. I think the Latin alphabet is enough. It would look weird to have Cyrillic words in map chat or party chat.

Why it's not look weird to have german/french/spanish in party and map chat all time then? Because it's on latin? But most ppl don't understand those languages too and everyone's fine with it. Me included.

It would be great if the game was localized into Russian, but we do not even hope for that. But people deserve the Cyrillic alphabet in the chat. People who participate in the life of the project, bring you profit and bring new players! Wrong action is not worthy of respect, but is a concrete answer. Inaction deserves only hatred and charity.

There are many nationalities. Love alone. It’s hard to love someone else’s, not your own.

@Exstazik.5847 said:

Why it's not look weird to have german/french/spanish in party and map chat all time then? Because it's on latin? But most ppl don't understand those languages too and everyone's fine with it. Me included.

Because the letters are the same. Cyrillic letters look different than Latin letters. And if they would add Cyrillic they should also add Arabic and Hebrew. And then we have a map chat full of different alphabets. That would not be nice. So better not start with Cyrillic.

@yoni.7015 said:

Because the letters are the same. Cyrillic letters look different than Latin letters. And if they would add Cyrillic they should also add Arabic or and Hebrew. And then we have a map chat full of different alphabets. That would not be nice. So better not start with Cyrillic.

So the main point for you is " if letters are the same it's fine" even if you don't understand a single word in those letters? Ok, i got it.

@Exstazik.5847 said:

Because the letters are the same. Cyrillic letters look different than Latin letters. And if they would add Cyrillic they should also add Arabic or and Hebrew. And then we have a map chat full of different alphabets. That would not be nice. So better not start with Cyrillic.

So the main point for you is to " if letters are the same it's fine" even if you don't understand a single word in those letters? Ok, i got it.

Yes. And the vast majority in Europe uses the Latin alphabet so on European servers Latin letters are just fine, no other alphabet needed.

@"yoni.7015" said:Because the letters are the same. Cyrillic letters look different than Latin letters. And if they would add Cyrillic they should also add Arabic and Hebrew. And then we have a map chat full of different alphabets. That would not be nice. So better not start with Cyrillic.

Cyrillic is basically another caligraphy for the same alphabet used in western countries, ......., hebrew, arabic and khanji is VERY different matter...inst something so "alien", is just another drawn.http://www.russianlessons.net/lessons/lesson1_alphabet.php

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@"yoni.7015" said:Because the letters are the same. Cyrillic letters look different than Latin letters. And if they would add Cyrillic they should also add Arabic and Hebrew. And then we have a map chat full of different alphabets. That would not be nice. So better not start with Cyrillic.

Cyrillic is basically another caligraphy for the same alphabet used in western countries, ......., hebrew, arabic and khanji is VERY different matter...inst something so "alien", is just another drawn.

If it is basically the same alphabet then you should be fine with latin, right? So no need for Cyrillic.

@yoni.7015 said:

If it is basically the same alphabet then you should be fine with latin, right? So no need for Cyrillic.

What symbol Latin can offer to replace 'ь' or 'ъ'? What letters Latin have to replace 'й' and 'ё'? Is there any eqivalent to 'э' 'ы' 'щ' 'щ'? Answer is - none. Any language has it's grammar, and the lack of those letters, simply break the major understanding of language, if it will be written in translit. And it's simply mind blow. Cyrillic and Latin share some same-looking letters, but not the grammar.

I am in russian guild. We have many players who determined to play the game, without the full-scale knowledge of english language. And imagine how hard it is for them to even write in translit-mode.

@Aeon.4583 said:

@"yoni.7015" said:

What symbol Latin can offer to replace 'ь' or 'ъ'? What letters Latin have to replace 'й' and 'ё'? Is there any eqivalent to 'э' 'ы' 'щ' 'щ'? Answer is - none. Any language has it's grammar, and the lack of those letters, simply break the major understanding of language, if it will be written in translit. And it's simply mind blow. Cyrillic and Latin share some same-looking letters, but not the grammar.

How do you like it, Elon Musk?https://imgur.com/7KVBOOX

@Lauren.2968 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:You might find this thread enlightening (Dev responses):
I believe it references the same video.

Good luck.

This topic (and dev response) was more about full translation. OK, i can understand, that translation of game its too much and not cost-effective at the moment. But we asking about Cyrillic, at least in guild chat and party. Its trivial feature in terms of implementation and the same time really essential.

As I said.. it may seem trivial, but maybe its a triffle more work than we think and potentially not cost effective.

More info here

And here https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/88671/appeal-of-the-russian-speaking-community-guild-wars-2-to-arenanet-and-mike-zadorojny/p1

Our fellow tyrians! You may not know that we, the Dredge, have our own, ancient and beautiful alphabet. It’s called Cyrillic.We really like to be participants of every activity in Tyria. So many letters, orders and instructions we have to write! Of course, most of us can understand and speak English pretty good. However, typing in English is a problem of another sort...Right now we have no Cyrillic support. Young Dredge get their fingers twisted, typing messages and instructions in English. Trying to directly adapt English letters to Cyrillic causes terrible headache!zYvgzKg.jpgMolenin and Molachev did nothing to bring Cyrillic in Tyria… We don’t blame them much, though. We’re humbly waiting for better times.Surely you know some famous moles, who used to write in Cyrillic. There’s even a peak named after one of them: Dostoev!rD4w0R8m.jpgAnd even more! Famous moles like Molenosov,FYqGJnEm.jpgBaryshmolov (we don’t talk much about him),jDI6pSGm.jpgand even Mole TolstoyqXz3s56m.jpgall of them used Cyrillic as well.

So now you may already understand what kind of request we have. With respect to memory of all famous moles of ancient times, we, the moles of present day, call you, fellow people, lords and ladies of Tyria, for help.The whole moletariat from Shiverpeaks to Maguuma jungle calls: «Mole or nothing!», «Ready or mole!»

Help us bring the support of Cyrillic alphabet for all in Tyria!

Thanks in advance for your extremely helpful attention to this matter.

Respectfully yours,

The Dredge (moles).

A moment of being serious.

Dear ArenaNet!

Sixteen countries use Cyrillic everyday. In every part of the world you may find someone using it.We understand, of course, that full Russian translation is impossible for many reasons.However, with the greatest respect, and with deep love to Guild wars 2 game, we, the multicultural Cyrillic typing and writing society, ask you to let us use Cyrillic alphabet in GW2.We hope you may find our request worthy of consideration.

Alexander Inoy, thank you!!! Arena Net, we love your game Guild Wars 2! Thank you for it! I learn English to understand the dialogues of the game. English is no longer a problem for me. We just need to have the possibility of using the Cyrillic alphabet, when we are talking with our friends in guild chat, wispers and etc. It's not so hard to do I think.