Disappearing Back Piece - [Merged]

• 11 months later...

It's a sporadic bug. In Dragonfall, mounts and the action button items seemed to trigger it for me, but it's not very consistent. I did replicate regularly once and sent bug reports about it, but it's never been fixed.

I notice some LS4 and some LS5 maps seem most likely to have it happen, although it's existed since before. Mounts are very much a prime involvement in causing the bug - esp the dismount action

The only fix is to reboot the client and hope it doesn't recur too soon after

@Randulf.7614 said:It's a sporadic bug. In Dragonfall, mounts and the action button items seemed to trigger it for me, but it's not very consistent. I did replicate regularly once and sent bug reports about it, but it's never been fixed.

I notice some LS4 and some LS5 maps seem most likely to have it happen, although it's existed since before. Mounts are very much a prime involvement in causing the bug - esp the dismount action

It’s happening a lot in wvw too. Yeah I’ve noticed reloading seems to be the only fix. Is it the attack dismount you think or just dismounting in general?

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:It's a sporadic bug. In Dragonfall, mounts and the action button items seemed to trigger it for me, but it's not very consistent. I did replicate regularly once and sent bug reports about it, but it's never been fixed.

It’s happening a lot in wvw too. Yeah I’ve noticed reloading seems to be the only fix. Is it the attack dismount you think or just dismounting in general?

Almost always I find it links to the attack dismount, in much the same way the stuck animation where you end up pointing your weapon at the sky regardless of what you are doing, is also connected to the attack dismount. There is also some connection to weapon stowing

But it's not a consistent bug which is prob why it hasn't been fixed. Plus I can't rule out it not being hardware or settings related either. It's been reported by others, but I wouldn't call it something that has been raised by a large number of people. It's quite a weird, isolated bug

I also haven't established if the backpack is still viewable by others when it disappears on my screen.

My suggestion is if it happens, submit an ingame bug report and list all the things you were doing right before it happened including map and if large numbers of people were around. With perhaps even a screenshot of your settings attached. Because it is difficult to replicate, fixing it likely requires wide ranging info to find the cause

@LucianDK.8615 said:When you use a glider your backpack will always be supressed.

Yes, but that is not what the OP is talking about.

There is a rare glitch which has existed for years which can cause the backpack to disappear whilst walking around, most commonly after a mount attack dismount. When you uncheck/check the display box to make it reappear, stowing or unstowing your weapons will then make the backpack vanish.

It is not something that happens to a lot of people and it prob something most have never encountered or if they have, rarely

@Randulf.7614 said:

Almost always I find it links to the attack dismount, in much the same way the stuck animation where you end up pointing your weapon at the sky regardless of what you are doing, is also connected to the attack dismount. There is also some connection to weapon stowing

But it's not a consistent bug which is prob why it hasn't been fixed. Plus I can't rule out it not being hardware or settings related either. It's been reported by others, but I wouldn't call it something that has been raised by a large number of people. It's quite a weird, isolated bug

I also haven't established if the backpack is still viewable by others when it disappears on my screen.

My suggestion is if it happens, submit an ingame bug report and list all the things you were doing right before it happened including map and if large numbers of people were around. With perhaps even a screenshot of your settings attached. Because it is difficult to replicate, fixing it likely requires wide ranging info to find the cause

I’ve been avoiding the mount attack and I am seeing the glitch a lot less now. Very interesting bug.

This is happening to me too but only recent month and it never happened before. I thought it was a lag or something and when my backpack disappeared it won't show again no matter what i do, even when i mount or dismount. I'll have to do an unchecked and checked again on the equipment panel, only then i will appear again.

Did ANet do some kind of ninja auto hide on our backpacks when there are too many players on the map, you know just like they auto hide our minis except without any prompt? I hope not :angry:

@Mil.3562 said:This is happening to me too but only recent month and it never happened before. I thought it was a lag or something and when my backpack disappeared it won't show again no matter what i do, even when i mount or dismount. I'll have to do an unchecked and checked again on the equipment panel, only then i will appear again.

Did ANet do some kind of ninja auto hide on our backpacks when there are too many players on the map, you know just like they auto hide our minis except without any prompt? I hope not :angry:

No, it's an old glitch that's been around for years. It's a very sporadic glitch as well so only seeing it recently doesn't surprise me

@Khisanth.2948 said:There is a thing that involves shields and gliding that will also cause thing. Maybe it is a general shield + some sort of transformation issue since a shield takes up the same slot

There are various triggers for it. Gliding, mounts (esp attack dismount) and skills that activate via the action button. It being related to a transformation in some form seems to be the common factor. It's not consistent so there will be others factors, since I was only ever able to replicate it in Dragonfall, but not elsehwere doing the same thing

@"kharmin.7683" said:I don't use backpacks. Some of my toons use quivers and some use capes. I haven't experience this "bug" with either of those items equipped. /shrug

Having monitored it for some time, the bug is rare and inconsistent enough that most players haven't encountered it or at least mentioned it. When we say backpacks though, we mean back items as I've had it with wings and rucksacks.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Mil.3562 said:This is happening to me too but only recent month and it never happened before. I thought it was a lag or something and when my backpack disappeared it won't show again no matter what i do, even when i mount or dismount. I'll have to do an unchecked and checked again on the equipment panel, only then i will appear again.

No, it's an old glitch that's been around for years. It's a very sporadic glitch as well so only seeing it recently doesn't surprise me

I am saying this only because the disappearing started after players complained here about the Vermillion Wings causing their ping to increase. Yes, I spent a lot of keys, and many players did the same too, to get the Vermillion Wings and I seriously hoped that ANet does not listen to a few salty players without considering the money others paid to get them and helped support this game.

Don't conveniently blame the game for everything when you are playing it on a 5 year old pc or on a non-gaming laptop with crappy network connections.

@Mil.3562 said:

I am saying this only because the disappearing started after players complained here about the Vermillion Wings causing their ping to increase. Yes, I spent a lot of keys, and many players did the same too, to get the Vermillion Wings and I seriously hoped that ANet does not listen to a few salty players without considering the money others paid to get them and helped support this game.

Don't conveniently blame the game for everything when you are playing it with a 5 year old pc with crappy network connections.

Ah OK, I understand your concern there, but fortunately that wont be why it is happening for several reasons;

• it isn't widespread
  • Anet has no interest in reducing visual noise
  • it affects normal back items without flashy effects
  • and more importantly, the bug pre-dates the vermillion wings by a long time

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:There is a thing that involves shields and gliding that will also cause thing. Maybe it is a general shield + some sort of transformation issue since a shield takes up the same slot

There are various triggers for it. Gliding, mounts (esp attack dismount) and skills that activate via the action button. It being related to a transformation in some form seems to be the common factor. It's not consistent so there will be others factors, since I was only ever able to replicate it in Dragonfall, but not elsehwere doing the same thing

I can't be bothered to figure it out again but I was able to replicate it fairly easily in Verdant Brink. No special reason for the map, I just happened to be in it when I was doing that at the time.

@"kharmin.7683" said:I wonder if this is also tied to ranger pets being stowed on dismounting?

That one is easy to figure out what is going on. At least some cases of it.

When you go into a transformation that would stow the pet the game will remember how it was before and restore it when you come out.

So character -> transform -> character is okay. The problem is when there is a character -> transform -> transform -> character sequence such as what happens if you mount up mid-glide. The issue occurs during the second transform where it "remembers how it was before" because if you are already transform "how it was before" is always stowed.