Templates Preview Guild Chat -- We want your questions!

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi everyone,

We have a Guild Chat preview tomorrow about the Templates feature. You can read more about it in this blog post: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/learn-all-about-build-and-equipment-templates/

If you have questions about the feature, drop them here and we'll answer as many as we can tomorrow.

Our developer guests are Amy Giannetti and Clayton Kisko!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very disappointed, but not surprised, to see that additional templates will need to be purchased via gemstore. People who play a higher number of build variations and game modes are ironically the ones hit hardest by this decision. I play across PvE, WvW, and PvP. Even if you get a new set of fresh templates per game mode that's an astonishing amount of locking done by this marketing decision.

'can be swapped out of combat with limitations in competitive modes.' How is swapping limited in competitive modes . . ?

As for the gem cost, ofc it costs gems. It's exactly the kind of convenience feature that should cost gems, consistent with more storage and extra toon slots. I say kudos to anet for finding a new revenue stream that doesn't involve selling us new content instead of giving it to us for free :)

@"FrigginPaco.4178" said:I'm very disappointed, but not surprised, to see that additional templates will need to be purchased via gemstore. People who play a higher number of build variations and game modes are ironically the ones hit hardest by this decision. I play across PvE, WvW, and PvP. Even if you get a new set of fresh templates per game mode that's an astonishing amount of locking done by this marketing decision.

"For a limited time after release, you’ll be able to pick up a free pack in the Gem Store for a total of six free Build Storage Spaces."

@Justine.6351 said:

@"FrigginPaco.4178" said:I'm very disappointed, but not surprised, to see that additional templates will need to be purchased via gemstore. People who play a higher number of build variations and game modes are ironically the ones hit hardest by this decision. I play across PvE, WvW, and PvP. Even if you get a new set of fresh templates per game mode that's an astonishing amount of locking done by this marketing decision.

"For a limited time after release, you’ll be able to pick up a free pack in the Gem Store for a total of six free Build Storage Spaces."

I'm not sure how this is supposed to negate the rest of my observation or alleviate the fact that this sale won't be available for people going forward.

Your account will have access to three Build Storage Spaces for free. To obtain more, you can purchase them in packs of three in the Gem Store. For a limited time after release, you’ll be able to pick up a free pack in the Gem Store for a total of six free Build Storage Spaces.

Do you get 3 per account or 3 per character?

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:I'm very disappointed, but not surprised, to see that additional templates will need to be purchased via gemstore. People who play a higher number of build variations and game modes are ironically the ones hit hardest by this decision. I play across PvE, WvW, and PvP. Even if you get a new set of fresh templates per game mode that's an astonishing amount of locking done by this marketing decision.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to negate the rest of my observation or alleviate the fact that this sale won't be available for people going forward.

I guess it goes along with something like people running a lot of alts, they have to buy more character slots. This is a utility thing not a necessity, even saying that, they are meeting you halfway by giving access to some slots.

Can you make it so that we could post a code from our build templates and share it to other people, so they can easily get our build just by pasting the code?

That way much more would use template who usually don't look up builds and bother with proper builds for the specific content they do.

Will the templates be purchasable per character or account similarly how inventory bags and shared invetory slots work?

Additionally,

Please reconsider lowering the price of both build and especially equipment templates massively or adding more templates in the bundle of whatever price you have in mind.Most people that do WvW, raid, or do fractals have multiple templates per character they use in those game mode. On top of that people with legendaries have x2 or 3 more than them.As an example I have over 30 templates spread across 9 characters that are fully geared for raids, and most are for fractals too.How much would these 30 and more templates cost me in gems? 6,000? 9,000? I'd have to compromise until I could accumulate the gold to convert to gems just to get back the same functionality I have right now with 3rd party templates. As for irl money to gem conversion look further down.Delta's arcdps templates are currently the most important QoL feature that is available to me, and your implementation at the moment will severely reduce the QoL your templates bring, if your price them wrong.

Currently 2400 gems cost 30€. That's the price of an expansion, an expansion that should have templates included in it as ONE of the many features in the expansion. These templates should not be locked to 2 or 3 per character. It would have to come with option to create dozen and dozen of templates as the player wishes.

You cannot price the templates at more than 30€ in order for us to have something we already have with 3rd party add on. The templates shouldn't cost thousand and thousands of gems or hundred of dollars/euros just so that we can have 10 templates per character.

@Justine.6351 said:

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:I'm very disappointed, but not surprised, to see that additional templates will need to be purchased via gemstore. People who play a higher number of build variations and game modes are ironically the ones hit hardest by this decision. I play across PvE, WvW, and PvP. Even if you get a new set of fresh templates per game mode that's an astonishing amount of locking done by this marketing decision.

I guess it goes along with something like people running a lot of alts, they have to buy more character slots. This is a utility thing not a necessity, even saying that, they are meeting you halfway by giving access to some slots.

Just as much as any other QoL item is not a "necessity" as the game moves forward and more builds become more numerous - and hopefully they add more content in the game - we will see the average player making good use of this feature. It feels rough that we didn't have to pay for build templates in GW1, and I know people will attack the comparison to the old game, but man.... It doesn't feel good.

@Vanessa.1906 said:Can you make it so that we could post a code from our build templates and share it to other people, so they can easily get our build just by pasting the code?

That way much more would use template who usually don't look up builds and bother with proper builds for the specific content they do.

From the blog post:

Build Templates can also be copied as a chat link in the game. You can send them to friends to help them prepare for a raid—or to your enemies to boast of your superior build. These chat links can also be copied and pasted out of the game and back into it from your clipboard, making trying a new build from another player or an external website a breeze.

Sooooooooooo let me see if I have this right. After SEVEN YEARS, you are finally going to add the build templates that we should have had all along. and you're being so kind as to give us two but expect us to buy more if we want more than two.

Does this mean that it took seven years to develop this ability or that it took seven years to figure out how to monitize it.

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:

as the game moves forward and more builds become more numerous -

are we playing the same game?