Poll: Build Templates

Mrs Lana.2506

This is WAY more generous than any B2P/F2P game I've ever played:

Items you add to Equipment Templates will no longer take up space in your character’s inventory, and you can reuse them across each of that character’s Equipment Templates. Items stored in this fashion will display a link icon in the upper corner and additional tooltip information listing all the Equipment Templates you’ve used them in.

They launched a feature that not only gives storage space, but you're given a baseline amount completely free

The only thing I would argue, given the implementation, is that there should be infinite (or like 10) trait/spec/utility builds.

@"Arenanet" said:At release, each character will get three Build Template tabs, which will be preloaded with their existing equipped builds from PvE, PvP, and WvW. You can swap the contents of the Build Template tabs for use in any game mode or purchase more tabs from the Gem Store.No thanks. I am not going to pay for the full functionality of a function that is already available to everyone; because you took so long to make it that someone, on their own free time, already made a very well functioning build templates add-on with unlimited "tabs". I sincerely hope you don't plan on making the use of this add-on an offense.

I would urge "this is fine" voters to consider that just because you didn't use [omitted title] doesn't mean it wasn't incredibly useful and valuable to many in the gw2 community. You may be siding with a sizable injustice to portions of our community by saying "this is OK" (see footer note/edit)

I can think of another popular MMORPG that, instead of doing this, ended up incorporating add-ons in the game and encouraged making helpful/useful add-ons. You don't need to vouch for the add-on as professionals... but you simply just needed to allow it to exist. Instead, because you guys wanted to do it yourselves, we're now paying for what we already had easy and consistent access to, because you wanted to monetize it. Ok, so we get a little perk in saving inventory space, but all I want is to not have this be forced on me. I already have the functionality of build templates, if you disallow that, and enforce your build templates functionality, you are forcing me to buy the inventory slots gained by using your option. Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea. But I'm left with no choice but to give you money. Even if I'm willing to do that, I defy that on principle.

Mounts in WvW was one thing. We adjusted to it, even though we did not want to.If you make this pay-for-full-functionality I will lose faith that I shouldn't still have to begin with.

Taking a screenshot of this post & saving it. Why? Well, you know how it is here.

edit: wording, and: note that if we are still allowed to use [omitted title] after this release, I won't mind so much. I can look past that easily, if this condition is met.

As a few others have said, I reserve actual judgement until the system is live so I can actually use it.

I find the payed extra slots to be fine, conceptually - I rank it along QoL purchases like more storage. For Equipment templates, it actually is more storage in a way.As such, my primary concern is price. I fear it's going to be higher than I find ok to buy several of. If it's 6-800 gems per slot per character that is way too much. If it's 800 gems to add a slot to all characters that's fine.

Remember also that you can share (and thus save) Build templates as a text code. This means you can store an unlimited number of builds, for free, in a Notepad file or similar. Load one into a slot when you expect to need it. View the slots themselves similar to your weapon sets - the options to switch between instantly with a keypress.

People that dont like it... change manually then. Its worked for you before. Or what, is Anet taking away the ability to trait/equip gear from inventory unless you pay for it?

Here's the simple truth: as long as gold->gems conversion still work, this is grindable extra fluff that doesnt even have to cost you real money.

Also many already have entire characters for specific build purposes. That 800 gems right? I highly doubt the template slots will be anywhere near as costly as an entire character. Guessing like... 100-200 gems. Which is 40-60 gold or something, or what players claim they farm in an hour.

It would be fine if i could enable it fully for 10€. They will most likely charge that per slot. Also can anyone explain the use of an account wide storage? that one just seems useless. Its a massive downgrade from arc and legendary gear users dont even get backslots back. Guess we go back to legendary gear being very annoying to use to the point that multiple normal gearsets are cheaper and easier and takes the same space.

I would probably need like 20-50€+ per char to just mimic the current arc behaviour. I dont care if its stored outside of my back, I just want fast and easy gear swaps. And for everyone saying charging per char is fine for this. Entire games can be bought for 20€ and less. Selling parts of such a small feature one by one that is free in all mmos i know will hopefully ruin the company but sadly it probably wont. it will just make the raid community even smaller.

I want to actually try it before I decide, because it's hard to know for sure how I'll use it from one brief description. But for now it seems fine for me, mainly because it's adding to what we already have rather than changing it. So for things where I don't want to use a build template (like swapping 1 skill to a speed boost signet or changing which weapon I'm using) I'll still do it manually.

Between that and being able to save the chat codes on my PC and load builds from that I think it's unlikely I'll buy build slots unless they're very cheap.

@"Kanok.3027" said:A lot of people point to GW1 and their "unlimited" and free build templates. Thing is, GW1 and GW2 are two entirely different games and probably on two very different engines. Perhaps build templates were not easy to work on, or even the fact they saw a third-party solution was available, so they decided to leave it on the back burner until they were ready to tackle it.They had large parts of the system for years - underwater had a different set of skills, WvW had its own set of skills and traits. What they lacked was UI (which wasn't difficult, but a little bit work intensive). The thing that stopped the implementation of this for 7 years was just the gear templates - they couldn't get them working properly. Well, that and the fact that for years there wasn't anyone really working on it - it was on backburner.

Now, you say you don't get paid for your work if it doesn't sell. Correct, but you are not forcing others to buy it and they are not either.By making delta stop releasing his arc templates solution, they indirectly do.

This is an optional feature. Completely optional. I use arcdps build templates, but can do without them. I have since I started playing and only recently started using them earlier this year. Sure, they are convenient, but they are not required at all.What would you say if waypointing outside cities was paid with gems? They are convenient, but hardly necessary - you can always run from the nearest city after all. Sounds ridiculous? No more ridiculous than this.Everything in this game is optional. This doesn't mean that it's okay to add pricetag to every feature - and that's definitely where we're going now.

@Nephalem.8921 said:It would be fine if i could enable it fully for 10€. They will most likely charge that per slot. Also can anyone explain the use of an account wide storage? that one just seems useless.It seems to exist solely for the build exchange between players (so you can look up someone else's build without changing to that class). For actual use of templates you will need the per-character slots.

I would probably need like 20-50€+ per char to just mimic the current arc behaviour. I dont care if its stored outside of my back, I just want fast and easy gear swaps. And for everyone saying charging per char is fine for this. Entire games can be bought for 20€ and less.Considering that this single feature will likely cost more than an expansion with it inside would... yeah, this pricing model is kitten.

I am going to love this feature, especially since I know I can store equipment into the builds themselves instead of my Inventory. One of the reasons I never really bothered with making extra sets of armor for my Main so I could experiment a bit with stat-combo's is because it would clutter up my inventory. Not anymore. I am going to craft my ass off!

I'm okay with them monetizing the build and equipment template slots per character, as most ppl will probably be able to make do with the three we get. But monetizing on template storage? Srsly?? Although I realize that unlimited storage would serve as a workaround to the limited template slots, so does a sheet with template links and short descriptions, at least if I understand how those links work. If I do, I'll be alt-tabbing out of the game instead of spending money on template storage.

With chatcodes you can save endless amounts of build templates.

Since you can freely and actively switch between them its a logical thing they are limited. (Think gw1 weaponsets, but for builds)

Furthermore this equipment system essentially is extra inventory space. Why wouldnt it be paid for? Considering how much it costs to get bigger bags, more bag slots or shared inventory slots how is this suddenly different with this system?

3 per character will be enough for me. As long as it works for every character in the future (even if you create one in 2years). I have always been hoping it will be this number. One healer, one condi, one physical. It will espcially help for stat swap. Trait swap is faster so I care less. I am just curious how the sPvP build will be (I hope a different slot since that's already how it works).

Also : " For a limited time after release, you’ll be able to pick up a free pack in the Gem Store for a total of six free Build Storage Spaces."

@"Randulf.7614" said:Community for 7 years: Give us build templates - you can even monetise it with extra slots through the gemstore!Anet: Sorry its late, here we are.Community: How dare youExactly ^^.

Edit : Another forum post and watching the full stream helped me to understand how it will work https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89031/answered-only-24-builds-account-wideSo ok for the 3 build templates, a bit disappointed that it will be 2 gear template slots but I like that it stores items. (especially for non leg characters)

I will have to see how this works in day-to-day gaming but since I'm not an excessive build switcher I should be fine with the amount of free slots.

Of course ideally I would have preferred it to be completely free but since it's also a convenience feature I can understand why Anet handles it like bag/bank storage and the like. The number of free stuff seems to be a compromise between covering what most people actually need while not giving too much so that they can still monetise it. I am almost certain that the vast majority of players don't play more than 2-3 different builds on a single character, let alone have complete equipment sets that need to be swapped.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Sure, let's make ANet a charity.Sure, let's make GW2 a game where we need to pay for every single future upgrade. Individually, per upgrade, at a cost (again, per upgrade) much greater than once it would be normal to see for a whole expac including several of those upgrades.I just wonder what gemshop connection they will manage to create with level 500 jeweller.

@Randulf.7614 said:Community for 7 years: Give us build templates - you can even monetise it with extra slots through the gemstore!Anet: Sorry its late, here we are.Community: How dare you

It's fine for them to monetise extra slots on this in my opinion. I'm just glad it's here after such a ridiculous wait

Pmuch, if the community should be mad at anyone then that should be themselves. We had a great free alternative but ppl are stubborn and wanted an official feature and fully supported the idea of them being monetised.

If you want something extensive for free in a game, an mmo nonetheless, let ppl make addons for it. Dont demand a profit driven company to make it.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Nephalem.8921 said:It would be fine if i could enable it fully for 10€. They will most likely charge that per slot. Also can anyone explain the use of an account wide storage? that one just seems useless.It seems to exist solely for the build exchange between players (so you can look up someone else's build without changing to that class). For actual use of templates you will need the per-character slots.

iirc a dev said you cant share gear templates

@zealex.9410 said:

Community for 7 years:
Give us build templates - you can even monetise it with extra slots through the gemstore!
Anet:
Sorry its late, here we are.
Community
: How dare you

It's fine for them to monetise extra slots on this in my opinion. I'm just glad it's here after such a ridiculous wait

Pmuch, if the community
should
be mad at anyone then that should be themselves. We had a great free alternative but ppl are stubborn and wanted an official feature and fully supported the idea of them being monetised.

If you want something extensive for free in a game, an mmo nonetheless, let ppl make addons for it. Dont demand a profit driven company to make it.

And you think that it would make any difference if people didn't specifically ask for it? If it's making them such a profit, then surely it would have been made regardless.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

Community for 7 years:
Give us build templates - you can even monetise it with extra slots through the gemstore!
Anet:
Sorry its late, here we are.
Community
: How dare you

Pmuch, if the community
should
be mad at anyone then that should be themselves. We had a great free alternative but ppl are stubborn and wanted an official feature and fully supported the idea of them being monetised.

And you think that it would make any difference if people didn't specifically ask for it? If it's making them such a profit, then surely it would have been made regardless.

Demand is certainly a huge driving factor like it was for mounts. If the demand for anet wasnt there but the qol of life was created from players anet would need to make a much more generous system to apease the status quo.

Anet had heard the demand years now and back during the creation of arc's templates it was a term that his tool would be left to die when the real thing came out.