Sword changes are pretty awesome!

Swagger.1459

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a nerf because now you only have 1 evade right away instead of 2, and it even has a shorter evade frame as well. You also have less mobility. Its only better when you ''combo'' 2-3-2 when 3 hits, but the designer clearly didnt understand that the previous sword 2 skill was meant to get away and not used to really hit someone. For pvp purposes this is a bad patch, and I dont understand why they did it since I dont think anyone complained about sword.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:Its a nerf because now you only have 1 evade right away instead of 2, and it even has a shorter evade frame as well. You also have less mobility. Its only better when you ''combo'' 2-3-2 when 3 hits, but the designer clearly didnt understand that the previous sword 2 skill was meant to get away and not used to really hit someone. For pvp purposes this is a bad patch, and I dont understand why they did it since I dont think anyone complained about sword.

The combo it's 3- rotate camera -2 - to get away and 2-3-2 to stick to target, I find the new design quite ingenious

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:Its a nerf because now you only have 1 evade right away instead of 2, and it even has a shorter evade frame as well. You also have less mobility. Its only better when you ''combo'' 2-3-2 when 3 hits, but the designer clearly didnt understand that the previous sword 2 skill was meant to get away and not used to really hit someone. For pvp purposes this is a bad patch, and I dont understand why they did it since I dont think anyone complained about sword.

What do you mean by saying you have less mobility? You have exactly the same amount of mobility. And if 2-3-2 happens you get more.I agree with you that you lose one evade and that's quite a nerf.GS got a big nerf this patch(which shouldn't happen and isn't justified). This is more of a qol(imo) and I personally prefer it this way but I am not saying it's stronger in its current form(I would need to play more with new sword to have an opinion on that).And I have to say that my previous comment wasn't precise. I was talking purely about how the weapon feels now and not how strong it is.

@Sznurek.8791 said:

What do you mean by saying you have less mobility? You have exactly the same amount of mobility. And if 2-3-2 happens you get more.I agree with you that you lose one evade and that's quite a nerf.GS got a big nerf this patch(which shouldn't happen and isn't justified). This is more of a qol(imo) and I personally prefer it this way but I am not saying it's stronger in its current form(I would need to play more with new sword to have an opinion on that).And I have to say that my previous comment wasn't precise. I was talking purely about how the weapon feels now and not how strong it is.

To get 2-3-2 you have to hit with Hornet Sting, otherwise Monarch's doesn't refresh so hard to really 2-3-2 for a disengage flight if opponent is in the middle of leaps.

What? Lol “not used to hit someone”... The main purpose of a weapon is to hit someone, and finally it hits with more dependability.

You have better control to engage and disengage. You get more mobility if you land your hits... This is a great utility buff for this weapon finally after 7 years.

hornet sting still works the exact same way it always did and you can spam the leap every 8s (or less on HS hit) to bounce around

They also swapped the cooldowns so serpent's strike (the good evade) is every 8'ish seconds

The only thing it needs is a bigger window for SS to be used instead of the 3s we have now

we all have to relearn the weapon but I suspect this will be a massive buff for people who want to kill and the people who want to dance with the weapon

It's such a buff that I'm almost willing to forgive the LB and GS nerfs because not only is 1h just flat better now, it's so dramatically changed that we have a whole new toy to play with. That's the kind of thing you don't really get outside of an Espec release

@Swagger.1459 said:

What? Lol “not used to hit someone”... The main purpose of a weapon is to hit someone, and finally it hits with more dependability.

You have better control to engage and disengage. You get more mobility if you land your hits... This is a great utility buff for this weapon finally after 7 years.

I don't understand how the new patch is better control for sword with one evade gated and the other on a nearly double cooldown. The disengage is the same with a retreat on Hornet an about face then a leap on Monarch's. How is this better? It's the same only now the the two skills don't always match up on cooldowns, since Hornet is on a 15 sec and Monarch's an 8, and in many cases you're banking on the Hornet hitting something to even be sure Monarch's refreshed and available. I'm also unsure on the dependability of the weapon hitting? The radii of the attacks are the same. Please explain more thoroughly what you mean.

@Swagger.1459 said:What? Lol “not used to hit someone”... The main purpose of a weapon is to hit someone, and finally it hits with more dependability.

''The main purpose of a weapon is to hit someone''. If you really use arguments like that, why even bother to post here. Hornet sting was a decent skill because of the evade, not because it does dmg or anything. You want to use the evade at any point in time. Now the skill relies more on the fact if you hit someone, but you more often dont hit someone with it than you do. In higher lvl of pvp at least.

I've been using ranger sword,gs for last 7 years and guess what? It's a kitten update that lowers skill ceiling for newcomers and only screws up long time players who have mastered the skill sets after long practices.And people wonder why sPvP mode of this game is on deathbed.

@"HeadCrowned.6834" said:Hornet sting was a decent skill because of the evade, not because it does dmg or anything. You want to use the evade at any point in time. Now the skill relies more on the fact if you hit someone, but you more often dont hit someone with it than you do. In higher lvl of pvp at least.

lol wut?

Hornet Sting evade was trash, it was a good repositioner and still is

"you more often dont hit someone with it than you do."

Have you even used the new leap + serpent's yet or are you posting from work?

Sword/Torch is my secondary weapon set and has been for years. I understood the sword's moves right away and never had any problems planning out a rotation for them. Previously, I could Hornet Sting backward and away from AOE or keep myself from dying, pop a heal, and then Monarch's Leap back into the fray. Additionally, I could use the Serpent's Strike as a fast-acting evade without moving out of melee range.

I am primarily a PvE player, and tactics like those made it easier for me to handle mobs when grinding out achievements or stepping in whenever melee was needed. The current changes to sword are not as intuitive for me as the original layout had been. The Serpent's Strike has been made useless for me as an evade, and jumping backward and then forward worked better as chain skills than as separate skills. Having Monarch's Leap as an engage-style skill also doesn't make much sense for me, as I primarily gain aggro at range (Being that I'm a.. a _Range_r), so by itself it's already more useless than the previous Sting/Leap combo.

Not pleased. I'd be happy to see these changes reversed.

@"HeadCrowned.6834" said:Its a nerf because now you only have 1 evade right away instead of 2, and it even has a shorter evade frame as well. You also have less mobility. Its only better when you ''combo'' 2-3-2 when 3 hits, but the designer clearly didnt understand that the previous sword 2 skill was meant to get away and not used to really hit someone. For pvp purposes this is a bad patch, and I dont understand why they did it since I dont think anyone complained about sword.

yea randomly reworked something, kinda like how they randomly made all "shout" skills "command" skills without any reason

@Substance E.4852 said:

hornet sting still works the exact same way it always did and you can spam the leap every 8s (or less on HS hit) to bounce around

They also swapped the cooldowns so serpent's strike (the good evade) is every 8'ish seconds

The only thing it needs is a bigger window for SS to be used instead of the 3s we have now

we all have to relearn the weapon but I suspect this will be a massive buff for people who want to kill and the people who want to dance with the weapon

It's such a buff that I'm almost willing to forgive the LB and GS nerfs because not only is 1h just flat better now, it's so dramatically changed that we have a whole new toy to play with. That's the kind of thing you don't really get outside of an Espec release

I don't see how can you forgive them for nerfing LB and GS when Sword is basically the same. Only the dance is different, but the song is the same. You still can't do much damage with the sword, the dagger is almost useless too. So we lost 2 main sources of damage, for 2 pc of dancing ... that's it. I tested these weapons in sPVP. I don't want even to imagine how it will be in WvW.In sPVP Sword+Warhorn/Axe+Axe boon beast is ok ... but cmon ... this was the reason? Anet want boon beast to be the only build in sPVP?