Drop of Visage of the Khan-Ur was doubled ¿Is that a joke?

Items"Recovered" Charr Artifacts now have increased rewards: an additional piece of charr-themed gear, one of the four legion keys, and double the chance of receiving a Visage of the Khan-Ur.

There is an achievement collection demanding 3 of these visages. Nowadays only one is listed on the TP at 10K... so, the drop of this object was absurdly low. Anet seems aware, so they decided to increase it, and decide to only increase it x2. Also, we have to consider the population decrease of the map... this just leaves this achievement as impossible.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Bandido.8719 said:

@Dante.1763 said:im pretty sure that the vast majority of people are using any they get right now for the achievement, so not many are being posted.

At 10k price... are you sure the majority of people will not post it?

Those who want it, i doubt will. Those who dont want it probably dont care enough to try and get it.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Dante.1763 said:im pretty sure that the vast majority of people are using any they get right now for the achievement, so not many are being posted.

Yeah, most players would rather use then the 5500 gold buy order.

I would use it if i got it, i play only charr though so it actually has a use for me.

@Blocki.4931 said:Play the game if you want the shiny. That's all.

The problem is with the current drop rate (even doubled) in your whole life playing the game you aren't going to get 3 of them for the achievement. You can win the lotto 3 times? Yes, is not absolutely impossible (if impossible is the problematic word), but statistically in 100 years playing you are not gonna get it.

This is not about getting a rare object, like the infusion, is about you need 3 extremely rare objects to get an achievement, and this is the first time Anet introduces an achievement like this. This is not like the 'I'm rich, you know' achiev, that was expensive, 1k gold, but anyone can get it. You only need the money and the merchant has infinite contracts to sell. This achievement can't be earned even being rich due the absurdly low quantity of these objects.

@Bandido.8719 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Play the game if you want the shiny. That's all.

The problem is with the current drop rate (even doubled) in your whole life playing the game you aren't going to get 3 of them for the achievement. You can win the lotto 3 times? Yes, is not absolutely impossible (if impossible is the problematic word), but statistically in 100 years playing you are not gonna get it.

So you've done the math?

Taking only into account the players who have a gw2efficiency account and who seem to care about Story Journal achievements, a very conservative estimate gives us around 3,000 such players. Thus far we've seen drops for maybe 10 of the Visage of the Khan-Ur items, or around 5/week. Due to this change, we can hope that we'll be seeing twice as many, which brings that up to 10/week.

In order for all of these players to get their 3 helms, that's 9,000 such helms, which gives us 900 weeks, or 17.3 years. That's assuming that people continue to open these boxes at the same rate that they're opening them now. In an ideal scenario, we can hope that the price of these on the auction house normalizes down to some sort of realistic price like 5,000 gold.

Looking at this another way, Secrets of the Khan-Ur has 22,571 unlocks on gw2efficiency. Additional Secrets of the Khan-Ur has 11,123 listed unlocks on gw2efficiency (for opening the vault a second time). Combined with reward chests from map completion, we can conservatively estimate that maybe 60,000 of these boxes have been opened thus far. That puts the helm droprate in the ballpark of 1 in every 5,000-10,000 boxes (0.01-0.02%).

Let's be conservative yet again and assume that the drop rate is now 1 in every 2,000 boxes after today's buff. If you can make a new character, train them to level 10 and then map complete Grothmar Valley in 30 minutes, the expected average on these Visage of the Khan-Ur drops is 1,000 hours of playtime per box, if you spend your entire playtime directly and specifically farming for them and doing nothing else. And given that I've made six conservative estimates in order to get there, the reality is almost certainly bleaker than that.

Nothing about this seems reasonable to me.

@Kalaina.8245 said:Taking only into account the players who have a gw2efficiency account and who seem to care about Story Journal achievements, a very conservative estimate gives us around 3,000 such players. Thus far we've seen drops for maybe 10 of the Visage of the Khan-Ur items, or around 5/week. Due to this change, we can hope that we'll be seeing twice as many, which brings that up to 10/week.

In order for all of these players to get their 3 helms, that's 9,000 such helms, which gives us 900 weeks, or 17.3 years. That's assuming that people continue to open these boxes at the same rate that they're opening them now. In an ideal scenario, we can hope that the price of these on the auction house normalizes down to some sort of realistic price like 5,000 gold.

Looking at this another way, Secrets of the Khan-Ur has 22,571 unlocks on gw2efficiency. Additional Secrets of the Khan-Ur has 11,123 listed unlocks on gw2efficiency (for opening the vault a second time). Combined with reward chests from map completion, we can conservatively estimate that maybe 60,000 of these boxes have been opened thus far. That puts the helm droprate in the ballpark of 1 in every 5,000-10,000 boxes (0.01-0.02%).

Let's be conservative yet again and assume that the drop rate is now 1 in every 2,000 boxes after today's buff. If you can make a new character, train them to level 10 and then map complete Grothmar Valley in 30 minutes, the expected average on these Visage of the Khan-Ur drops is 1,000 hours of playtime per box, if you spend your entire playtime directly and specifically farming for them and doing nothing else. And given that I've made six conservative estimates in order to get there, the reality is almost certainly bleaker than that.

Nothing about this seems reasonable to me.

Just one correction: Not all GW2 players are gw2efficiency users. So, the number of active players opening the boxes and/or pursuing the achievement is higher. However, this does not mean that the drop rate of helmets is not ridiculously low, it is. If it was not the case we would see many more of them on TP with more reasonable prices.

I still think they have an extra zero or two in the drop rate (maybe instead of entering it as a number they entered as percent such that it would be 100x more rare). For a rare drop it seems more akin to super rare but perhaps it is because all the "rare" drops share the rare drop chance concurrently.

For example for rare unid gear it was supposedly 1 in 80 chance to get exotic ; for green masterwork it was 6/1000 to get exotic ; for blue fine unid gear it was 1/1000. If you look at trick or treat bags , rare is around 1% . For heavy loot bags from WvW it's around 9% chance to get a t6 material.

Given the timegating (map complete / one-off from reward tracks) , the sample size is going to be far smaller for the visage.

If it were just a very rare item (like the invisible boots) I'd be fine. But putting a very rare drop as achievement is simply silly (I still have to get the Jormag's claw to unlock the collection, and in comparison that costs nothing on the TP). A tough achievement is fine, I can play until I improve, if I'm able to. But forcing me to play over and over, until I get bored, it's no very different from most of the MMOs that give you the loot you're looking for, after killing the same boss for the thousandth time.Sure it's an achievement, not a gear. But I thought ArenaNet wanted to reduce the RNG in GW2. It's good that they're monitoring the drops and making some adjustment though. Maybe they'll change the drop rate again in future, hopefully.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Do you really need everything to enjoy the game?

Do you enjoy with impossible achievements?

It's not impossible. It's just put of most people's reach. Which is what most achievements SHOULD be.

Aside from that being the worst logic I can think of, if you add something that practically no player will get, at least don't make it something like cultural armor which people have been begging for for years.