We've heard it all before

@Shailyn Slay.7234 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Currently every player has 1 build template for PvE, WvW and PvP. If you take your Guardian from Lion's Arch, to Eternal Battlegrounds, to the PvP lobby, your have 3 separate trait builds and utility bars, which are saved based on whatever you slotted in while in that zone. That is how it works currently.

After this patch, everyone will have 3 build templates per character for free, and on launch, will automatically be setup with any existing PvE, WvW, and PvP builds.

So after this launches, if you use the same character to play PvE, WvW and PvP, you have literally been given NOTHING, as you need to use 1 template for each game mode. You only benefit if you choose to purchase additional templates, or if you only play that character in 1 or 2 of those game modes, which now gives you the freedom to run a second build in one of them.

Expect, I really think you are wrong here.Every character will indeed get 3 free build templates, that
initially
are set to the 3 different builds your character already has, you can then go ahead and change this. However, I have haven't seen anything in the official announcement, that would indicate that WvW & sPvP builds are not saved separately anymore - this is essentially a wild speculation people just seem to be assuming is true.

I personally think it's much more likely that in the future each character will still have independently saved PvE, WvW & sPvP builds (even just because changing how that would mean more changes to the game engine) AND have 3 build templates that can be loaded instantly all the time (by hotkeys even).So If you save 3 PvE build template, you can probbaly still:
  • manually change your current build to some variation that is a 4th build
  • go to WvW / sPvP and get your corresponding build there (you just can't insta load it after any changes or in another game mode)

You could be right. I can only interpret what I've seen posted, but that doesn't make me correct. I was hoping the live stream would clear stuff up, but I didn't have a chance to watch it. In any case we'll all see by end of the month

@Konrad Curze.5130 said:

@Game of Bones.8975 said:Discussion posts are flooded with threads saying how the future templates (as described) will ruin the game.Didn't we hear the same or similar things when HoT and PoF came out with gliding and mounts?Build templates are something people have been asking for since GW2 rolled out.Please wait until you have used them for a month, let the bugs get worked out, and get used to swapping before posting how bad this new shiny is for the game's future.

straw man
noun
1. an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

I may have made an unintentional argument with the first part, but the rest is still valid.